Ended
Watch

Wishful Thinking

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    A
    Alexander Brown

One of the cool things about not having a nine-to-five office job is that you can work from somewhere else. Like from the Funderland park, where the mid-afternoon crowds went about their business, oblivious to the pale man in a business casual outfit, seemingly waiting for someone beside the park's wishing well. The chatter of adults and the frolicking of children provided a perfect shroud... for a lone man. He still wasn't sure if it's a good spot for discussing Freehold's business. But it was the Spring Courtiers who picked it, and there were many reasons not to oppose. After all, they can always move somewhere more... private.

The temperature is just right and not a cloud on the sky, but the topics he wishes to discuss are much heavier and more difficult than he'd planned... or wanted them to be. Nevermind the fact that forging an alliance is hard by default, he will be asking for a lot today and what terrifies him the most is that he cannot be certain of the answer. His best chance would be to start slowly, get to know them both, especially the Queen. Thankfully, his conversation with Seraphina at the luau has borne fruit and now the Darkling was standing with both his hands occupied - one with a small black briefcase and the other with a larger, colorful bag. Presents. Everybody loves presents. He just hopes those will be the right ones.

Not seeing either of the women for now, Alex took a moment to pull out a coin from his pocket and throw it into the Well. The sound of metal resonated.

Striking Looks 2 "Ethereal"
    Retainer
    (Angus (ensorcelled mortal))
    Ingrid
    Ingrid

Mein

Very much like her Mask. However, her skin takes on a more reflective, rubbery texture and she appears... thinner... with limbs that are slightly too long and thin for her general proportions. There is also faint traces of webbing between her fingers and toes.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Be careful what you wish for.

Ingrid approaches. The Darkling is dressed for summer in a lacy shirt with voluminous sleeves; denim shorts; plimsols; and yet another enormous and floppy hat. Her eyes are hidden behind a cheap set of sunglasses. At least her bag, on this occasion, is mercifully small. One might suggest that the Darkling appears a little too old to carry off such an eclectic ensemble, yet she manages by sheer force of personality... and the cutzpah to completely ignore anyone who doesn't agree with her fashion choices.

Ingrid, self styled Queen of Spring, carrying on as if she were Fairest.

A hand folds onto her hip once she stops by the Wishing Well, and by default, close to where Alexander Brown broods.

"Well hi!" Ingrid purrs. "What do we have here? I heard you were looking to talk. Though it looks like you've more likely planned for a business meeting."

She stops, fishes in her bag for some lip balm and makes a show of applying it. Over the rim of her sunglasses, she is looking curiously at the Plastic Man.
    Darkling: Palewraith |Spring Mantle 3 (Heady scent of plums)
    WYRD 3| Health: 7| Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7| Striking Looks 2: "Ethereal"

Seraphina
    Presence
    (Magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (Enthralling)
    Distinctive Voice
    (Angelic)
    New Identity
    (Sarah Jones)
    Mantle (Spring)
    (In Mini Sheet)
    Seraphina

Mien

Softly shimmering gold flakes catch the light whenever she moves, delicate gilded and diamond scales extenuate the luminescent sapphires that are her eyes. The ocean lives in Sera's eyes, perfectly cut sapphires, gleam in the light. Deeper shades always shifting like the tide. The scales trail up to her temples and forehead. Her hair reaches down her back, brushing the back of her calves, spun silver and gold. Perfectly placed streaks of sea green are seen throughout her hair. Very fine diamond dust falls loose from her hair when she moves, reflecting rainbows from the light. The scales on her hands are dulled by the simple fact that her hands are translucent. There was an iridescent scale like skin that pulled delicately up from her ears. The membrane shimmered and created three curly points.
    Seraphina

Fairest

Nix/Treasured
    Mantle

Cherry blossoms gilded in gold bloom from her hair, tumbling down as a warm rejuvenating spring breeze gently kisses the air with the scent of freshly cut grass. The sound of birds singing can be heard as the wildflowers grow and bloom in vibrant colors where she walks, swaying and lively in the breeze.
    Sera's hands and lower legs are translucent while the rest of her has cracks
    Seraphina

Mask
    A fairly tall woman, roughly 5'11 with long, wavy dark brown hair. Her eyes are an intense, deep bright blue, reminding one of sapphires. Her lips are full and her skin is flawless. With that perfection comes a body that men fawn and drool over, and women envy.

Health Tracker

Haunted House
    Items

Hedgespun Items

Tear dropped shaped pendant, form fitted waterfall jacket

Misc.

-3 to any rolls involving Presence

Jewelry

Ring on right ring finger...the gold band matches her gilded golden skin, the blue sapphire matches her eyes and the diamonds her scales
    Seraphina Scenes
      -1 Glamour into Wyrdstone
      Dreaming, -1 WP to analyze, WP to hold Dream together, Dreamscape

+2
    SL
    +2
    DV
    PRE

Treasured Nix

Sera herself is a vision in yellow. While some people might steer away from such a bright color, the Nix embraces it. A bright, sunny yellow halter top with cut off shorts, paired with strappy flats was her attire for the beautiful day. The sun catching her necklace and casting different colors as she moved.

She wasn’t sure what Alex wanted to talk about, maybe he had found a sweet gift for Ingrid and wanted an audience. Could happen, never know.

Spotting Ingrid and Alex already there, a hand was raised in greeting as she approached.
    “Wishing for something special Alex?” asks the Nix with a smile.

Her head then nods to Ingrid, “Looking stunning as always.” She compliments her Queen.

Sapphire eyes take in the brief case as an eyebrow was raised, “Is this an important business meeting? Cause if I had known I would have dressed more appropriately.”
    Treasured/Nix Wyrd●●●●

A
    Alexander Brown

Mere moments separate the arrival of both Spiring Courtiers. For Alex, that means being assaulted by a wave after wave of breathtakingly unearthly beauty. The apparent discord between what the two women and the Darkling himself had chosen to wear today is not off-putting at all - he saw this coming and didn't really mind.

"Hello! Don't you both look marvelous today!" He was sure neither of them expected or needed his appreciation, but it needs to be expressed, especially since Sera already seemed to be uncertain about her outfit. Time to put those doubts six feet under. He turns to the Nix with a smile on his face and retorts "If I told you, the wish won't come true, will it?" But she got that right, he was wishing for something... very special.

"Anyway" He begins after a few seconds, when the greetings and pleasantries are past them "I wanted to thank you again for that wonderful party the other day. Now, I thought to myself: how can I possibly show my gratitude? Realizing this is but the first step... I come bearing gifts." And with that, he reaches towards the big, colorful bag, showing its contents: two presents, one smaller and one a bit bigger, neatly covered in dark green paper. One he hands to the Vernal Sovereign and if she deigns to unpack it, there will be a cowboy hat inside, made of fine, smooth material and covered in ornamentations depicting leaves, flowers and yes, branches of a plum tree with ripe fruits on them.

Seraphina is handed a smaller package, hiding a book: a copy of "Mother Courage and Her Children", in mint condition considering the date printed inside: 1941. The ink lines on the front page are a little faded, but their purpose is clear: an autograph.

He gives them a moment, and then begins speaking again, trying to maintain that light tone that is so natural given the company and circumstances: "I didn't envision it as a business meeting, not in a strict sense, anyway." But that was before the Head Fairy in Charge tried to have him killed "But it might turn out to be, what with the recent... changes in our community" Thinly veiled references are thinly veiled "Truth be told, I'd like to explore possibilities for cooperation between our Courts. Besides, I only recently realized how little I know about the current Vernal Queen and plan on fixing that" There is a grin and a quick glance towards their surroundings, a clear sign of readiness to switch to clubspeak if need be "And I think the best way to go about that is for me to ask: how do you, both of you, see the place of Spring in Sacramento?" He half-expects Sera to dodge the question, but no matter how fiercely she'd claim not to think about it, Alex is decided not to believe a word of such an explanation. She's much too inteligent and invested for that.

Retainer
    Ingrid
    Ingrid

Mein

Very much like her Mask. However, her skin takes on a more reflective, rubbery texture and she appears... thinner... with limbs that are slightly too long and thin for her general proportions. There is also faint traces of webbing between her fingers and toes.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Recent changes?" Ingrid echoed. The general effect of her words were lost with her exclamation. "Presents! For me! A present!"

The box is opened. The hat inspected. Tried on.

"Oh! Oh! What do you think?" The Darkling tried a couple of poses.

"Those words again. Recent changes. Oh! Ooooo. Those words. Okay. Cooperation. Yeah sounds kinda good. I think." Ingrid continued with one hand holding her new hat on her head. "I mean. You do lead one of the more numerous Courts - for want of a better term - but what exactly do you mean by cooperate? Our little Emerald Court has shrunk, you know. We can only do support stuff... Like little old parties, you know."

There was a hint of sarcasm in her voice. She sighed.

"Courts don't mean much here. Besides all the other positions are taken. What are you suggesting?"

She made a face.

"We should have ducked into the office. Too late now. If this is going to be a private discussion we can duck out back."

Seraphina
    Presence
    (Magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (Enthralling)
    Distinctive Voice
    (Angelic)
    New Identity
    (Sarah Jones)
    Mantle (Spring)
    (In Mini Sheet)
    Seraphina

Mien

Softly shimmering gold flakes catch the light whenever she moves, delicate gilded and diamond scales extenuate the luminescent sapphires that are her eyes. The ocean lives in Sera's eyes, perfectly cut sapphires, gleam in the light. Deeper shades always shifting like the tide. The scales trail up to her temples and forehead. Her hair reaches down her back, brushing the back of her calves, spun silver and gold. Perfectly placed streaks of sea green are seen throughout her hair. Very fine diamond dust falls loose from her hair when she moves, reflecting rainbows from the light. The scales on her hands are dulled by the simple fact that her hands are translucent. There was an iridescent scale like skin that pulled delicately up from her ears. The membrane shimmered and created three curly points.
    Seraphina

Fairest

Nix/Treasured
    Mantle

Cherry blossoms gilded in gold bloom from her hair, tumbling down as a warm rejuvenating spring breeze gently kisses the air with the scent of freshly cut grass. The sound of birds singing can be heard as the wildflowers grow and bloom in vibrant colors where she walks, swaying and lively in the breeze.
    Seraphina

Mask
    A fairly tall woman, roughly 5'11 with long, wavy dark brown hair. Her eyes are an intense, deep bright blue, reminding one of sapphires. Her lips are full and her skin is flawless. With that perfection comes a body that men fawn and drool over, and women envy.

Health Tracker

Haunted House
    Items

Hedgespun Items

Misc.

Jewelry

Ring on right ring finger...the gold band matches her gilded golden skin, the blue sapphire matches her eyes and the diamonds her scales
    Seraphina Scenes

+2
    SL
    +2
    DV
    PRE

Treasured Nix

Smirking, “Well, that depends on the wish.” Which was very true. She was of Spring, and loved to know ones Desires and what they were willing to do to achieve them.

A curious and somewhat delighted look is offered to Alex as he mentions presents, for both of them. Her hands accepting the gift as she gently unwraps it. Eyes widen with wonder as she turns the book over before opening the cover. “This is extremely generous Alex, I don’t know what to say. Thank you. I’ll take excellent care of it and read it as soon as I can.” So that’s why he was asking about what she enjoyed. Very cleaver.

Eyes widen once again as she watches Ingrid unwrap her hat. A cowboy hat, and not one she would think the Darkling would wear. But it suited her.

"Damn, going to be turning some heads in that! Looks great on you!"

Changes in community?

Oh! The thing Mhairi posted about him being removed from his position. She was really curious about that, but wasn’t sure if it was her place to ask. So she had waited, eagerly hoping someone, either Mhairi or Alex would say something. And here it was!

Sapphires look to Ingrid as the question was posed.

How best to answer?

“I am always for cooperation between Courts, it only serves to benefit those involved.” There were more important things to focus on. Like threats from the Hedge and all that wonderful stuff. “Are we not cooperating now?” she asks, not quite sure what he’s looking for.

Eyes turn once again to her Queen as she speaks, head nodding in agreement.

She then looks back to Alex for clarification.
    Treasured/Nix Wyrd●●●●

7. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    A
    Alexander Brown

Before Alex could clarify to the Queen what he meant by 'recent changes', an exclamation barged in, disrupting his carefully prepared speech - in the best way possible. His face brightened with joy when he saw that his choices for gifts were to their liking. So far, so good.

"Oh, think nothing of it. I just thought it'd be something you'll enjoy" A smile "Thanks for the tip, though" He whispers to Sera, hoping the Verdant Queen will be to distracted to notice

In all honesty, he wouldn't be opposed to this moment lasting forever. The beautiful sun shone on him and his company, and they were all standing amidst the testament to their ability. But alas, business awaits. It is only then that he fully notices Ingrid expressing no knowledge whatsoever about the Announcement Mhairi posted a while back. Was she sincere or was this some kind of game on her part?

"If there's some place nearby where no one could eavesdrop on us, we could very well move there" He says, addressing what the other Darkling said at the end. Before he continues there's enough time for her to make a decision and lead them there, if necessary. "I beg to differ. Courts still mean a great deal. To me, at least. That we did away with the passing of a Crown doesn't mean we also did away with our connections to the Seasons. Even if the Verdant Court is smaller than it used to be, the ebbs and flows are constant, meaning this could change any day" As he witnessed multiple times during his stay here. What was it, half a dozen changelings coming and going? More than that? "But regardless, it remains a fact that we all have a role to play, and that we are enriched by the diversity of our talents. I think parties and other events are an important part of strengthening our bonds, forging unity. That makes you invaluable to this Freehold" He makes a tactical stop there, allowing his words to sink in and preparing for the next step "I want you to know that if you ever need additional funding, an invisible hand in the muggle circles or any other support the Iron Spear can provide, for both your services to the community and your private endeavours, all you have to do is call." A moment to catch his breath "I also believe that the Summer's efforts at protecting the Freehold can be done much more efficiently with your help. I would be thankful for an information-sharing agreement, and wouldn't mind some mystical support from time to time." He looks towards Ingrid, inspecting her "You are interested in Contracts, is that correct? One of these days you'll have to explain your research to me. You'll just have to speak very slowly" He makes a joke but doesn't laugh himself, obviously.

That's long-term. But then, there's also the short term. And even if he believes the former is easily acceptable, tha latter will be like a minefield, especially with the Nix.

"And yes, recent changes. You may've noticed the note hanging around the park? As of July 19th I am no longer Groundskeeper, by the decree of Director Mhairi. It's a direct effect of the meeting we held with Sasha the other day. And if I may be so bold, the lack of trust Mhairi exhibited that day towards me was surprising enough, but I was shocked to learn that she doesn't trust you, either. Frankly, I was under the distinct impression that she doesn't trust anyone anymore" Sad face. No, wait. Bitter face.

Retainer
    Ingrid
    Ingrid

Mein

+1
    SL
    PRE

Ingrid's face was becoming increasingly serious as she listened. She fixed her idle hands by setting them to the task of repackaging the hat.

"Well, its nice to know that someone else sees the value in the Courts. And its nice to see the Emerald is still valued too, even if all we can pull off right now is parties."

Her eyes flicked away from their little group to check their surroundings.

"Thank you for your kind offer of assistance. I'll take it under advisement and think on it." She spoke carefully, her eyes drifting back to the Plastic Man and her remaining Courtier. "If Sera needs a boost for any her personal stuff I'm sure she can work something out with you. And I definitely have nothing against sharing information and mystical lore in the defence of the Freehold. I know I have some Contracts that you'd find especially useful. Magical healing."

The last she adds with a little smile. And another quick look for eavesdroppers. She giggles.

"Don't have a lot of contacts or... allies. Not yet. But I got myself a job where I can keep my ear to the ground. So. Yeah. If something comes up that sounds like a threat, I can pass that along. I'm sure Sera can agree to that sort of thing too."

Ingrid hugged the box now that the cowboy hat had been returned to its protective confines.

"Surprising about Mhairi? Well. Yeah?" Concern and surprise burst across her face. "What about you and... eh... Sasha? And Mhairi. Well... You gotta remember what she is. Elemental and all that... Um. But remember that trust is a two way street. So if she won't trust. Um. Don't extend it. Let her earn it."

Mhairi didn't trust anyone. Well that was news. Briefly she wondered how Thomas Land was going with her proposal. She'd have to follow that up now.

"OK. We should slip out back. Know what I'm saying."

Ingrid nodded to a space around the corner; where there was plenty of greenery; and well away from the eyes of ordinary folk.

Seraphina
    Presence
    (Magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (Enthralling)
    Distinctive Voice
    (Angelic)
    New Identity
    (Sarah Jones)
    Mantle (Spring)
    (In Mini Sheet)
    Seraphina

Mien

Seraphina

Fairest

Nix/Treasured
    Mantle

Seraphina

Mask

Health Tracker

Haunted House
    Items

Hedgespun Items

Misc.

Jewelry

Seraphina Scenes

+2
    SL
    +2
    DV
    PRE

Treasured Nix

The Nix smiles knowingly and nods.

What he said about the ebb and flow of the Courts was true. She had seen her own Courts numbers rise, and fall a few times. And she quietly hoped the numbers would swell and they would have the most powerful Court within the Freehold. But who didn’t want that for their Court?

Their ability to throw amazing parties made them invaluable to the Freehold? Somehow, she isn’t so sure about that. Sure, his words rang true, the parties served to unite them all in a relaxed atmosphere. But it wasn’t like it was a special talent that only Spring had.

So he is offering to help them with funding and other support?

“That’s a generous offer, thank you. But at what cost to us? I’m sorry, but I didn’t just walk out of my trip yesterday, I know there is nothing for free, everything has a price. I simply like to know these in advance.” Was it a little blunt? Not really, she could have been more blunt, but it was out there. She wanted to know what this would cost her.

Mystical support? Ah, Ingrid and her Contracts. That made sense.

“I don’t mind sharing information I hear about security threats.” She didn’t. Why keep that stuff to yourself?

Her eyes widen at the words, Mhairi didn’t trust her?! A hand absently went to her necklace, fingers playing with the gem as she looks at Alex.

“If I may, what was said to lead you to say she didn’t me? Or us?” eyes look to her Queen. Was the Nix skeptical? Hell yes she was. Mhairi had never lead her to believe there wasn’t some level of trust between them. Were they still establishing it? Yeah, but that stuff isn’t done overnight.

Her head nods, her silver and gold mane shimmering with the movement, “It is most certainly a two way street and isn’t given overnight. Like she said, it’s earned. By both parties. I already told you at the party that it would take time for me to trust you. It’s human,” and fae, “nature to be untrusting. And with what we’ve all gone through, distrust is to be expected.” So it didn’t surprise her that the Wisp was untrusting, she kind of expected it. “And for someone in her position, she needs to know she can trust those around her.” Duh.

Eyes move to Ingrid and she nods, “Good idea.” She wanted to hear everything before she made any judgements. Especially about someone who had been nothing but kind and helpful to her.

Treasured/Nix Wyrd●●●●

11. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    A
    Alexander Brown

Neither of the Spring Courtiers took his offer at face value, accepting itwithout thinking, which only cemented Alex's belief that he wants those women as allies... and fast, because the alternative is far from a sympathetic neutrality. He produces a half-smile when the Queen mentions magical healing. Useful, indeed.

"See, I knew I was right to go to you: you know there's no such thing as free lunch. But the question you should be asking is not 'what?', it's 'why'? And the answer is simple: with Autumn distancing itself from me, and Winter reduced to only one member it makes you the sole possessors of the abilities and contacts I may need in the future. I'm proposing a simple deal: mi casa es su casa. Treat every skill, every dollar and every ally of the other as your own. Meaning that when I help you with something, it'll be my prority and no questions will be asked, and I'd expect the same courtesy."

So Ingrid had an actual job not connected to the park or the other changelings here? Nice, it means she's now in the elite club of about three people besides himself who could pull that off. It also spoke volumes about her own independence. "Interesting" he nods "Are you a PI or did you go all the way and wear the uniform now?" Thruth be told, there are a lot more jobs that allow you to keep tabs on people, those are just the two that first come to mind when he sees her.

Then the conversation shifts towards what he's said about Mhairi and the Darkling can tell that even if he invoked disbelief, he also managed to get their attention. The eyes widened, the fingers moved on their own and the voices sighed under the weight of concern. The wrecking ball made its first swing. Time to make another before the dust settles.

"Yes, I remember she's an Elemental. So is Quick, and I think we can all agree that the two are nothing alike" Despite his initial distrust, he was starting to treat the Levinquick as a colleague, perhaps on a long and rocky path to a friend. He could only hope James feels the same way about him. "Besides, isn't it the leader's job to rise above their own limitations?" With that out of the way, Alex proceeds to the next thing both Springs say. Trust is a two-way street. Normally: true enough. "When I mentioned lack of trust I didn't mean keeping her distance. Observing and appraising. I didn't mean the normal. The understandable" He makes a short stop to avoid saying one word too much or in the wrong way "I mean when you accuse someone of being a Loyalist with no evidence whatsoever. When you demand Pledges to prove you wrong, but even those aren't enough. When you issue death sentences on a whim - that's what I mean when I talk about lack of trust!" The last sentence comes just shy of a dangerously raised voice "That's what I fear may one day happen to any one of us"

His Mantle sizzles for a second, but when he reminds himself about the safety of the place they're in and the importance of this meeting it stops, and his voice is back to normal, calm and matter-of-factly.

"Let me provide some context. A range of issues was discussed, and one of those was the future relationship between the Leadership and other members of our community. Now, as I'm sure you know the system we currently have in place is something of a novelty to us. It has many enormous advantages, but also some pitfalls. To combat those and ensure trust between the decision-makers and those who are... unaccustomed to it I proposed a written document delineating the rights and duties we'd have." He reaches towards the black briefcase he brought along, and a folder is pulled out, which is quick to reveal pages densely packed with words. The hand that holds it is extended towards the two women "Here. Read it if you want. Now, it's hardly a finished work, and we may need to devise some kind of oath to ensure everyone follows the letter and spirit of these laws, but that was exactly why I advocated for the Verdant Monarch - whose identity I didn't know at that time - to be party to that discussion, and then to talk about it as one people. However, Mhairi was staunchly opposed to hearing your opinions. In my experience, that's easily qualified as lack of trust"

Did he convince them? Only one way to find out.

The Constitution

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 10

You do not have permission to view the list of names.