Ended
Watch

Quick and the Maze

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    S
    Sasha

The Fairest didn't know why she was a little surprised that he didn't give much of a reaction, perhaps it was a true sign that Winter was his calling. "You're right, many people would ridicule myself or any other Winter for doing that. But they don't understand. Often the elders of any Freehold are Winter's for good reason. Someone needs to be the one to relay what happened and pass it down to generations as advice and a warning; whether good or bad."

She wondered why he was a little different for a moment, then the question was dropped. "Yes, We do have a few rules. Most of them are easy, one may sound it, but it is more difficult than just saying it. They are the Ice Laws."

"As Winter's we are to:" The Fairest put a finger out for each as she listed them off.

"Let Every Court Know Its Function.
    Hide Your Love and Hate.
    Prepare Your Farewells.
    Keep the People Lost to Every Outsider."

"What unsavory things have you done?" She didn't ask permission to know, as his Queen, she didn't really need it. It was something that hopefully Quick would realize would be better off saying now. "And please, feel free to ask about any of the four laws."

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    (Hush of snowfall, stray flurries)
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

Quick is crowned with an ostentatious arc of hair that resembles a jagged bolt of lightning. He is very lithe and slightly taller than his Mask appears. His skin is a very pale shade of teal, and is covered in tiny filaments like cracks which glow an orange-red. The tips of his fingers and toes come to points, and his shoulders have hard, jagged projections growing from them.

+1
    SL
    PRE

He'd never really been interested in the mystical aspects of this new life, but something in the phrase 'Ice Laws' demands his attention. Playing Winter is no longer a game (if it ever had been one). Quick's eyes alternate between the Winter Queen and each finger as she recites them.

"Well..." he begins, smiling sheepishly despite the serious tone the conversation has taken "when I was younger, I used to be in a street gang. All of us were mundane. We'd pick pockets and run small cons. Shell games. Sell cheap knockoffs and stolen goods. We'd target outsiders and tourists." His expression becomes more thoughtful. "Growing older, I used other methods. Meeting drunk guys at bars and taking advantage."
    His eyes widen. He vehemently shakes his head, explaining away what probably sounded abominable. "Of their money. Never the other thing. They'd invite me home and I'd leave with something valuable. Usually after a few more drinks."

He pauses to take a deep breath. His look more somber now than he'd shown yet. "And I killed my Fetch." Another pause. He winces a little at the word 'kill'. Rather than reflect on it, his voice becomes urgent. "After I Escaped, I came home looking for Mark. My boyfriend. Saw him with someone who looked just like me. I really lost it. Followed the thing out to the docks. My quiet spot." The Levinquick's fist balls up unbidden. A crackle lights up behind his eyes. "So I killed it. Watched it turn back into so much junk. I didn't learn what it was until later... trust me when I say I was spooked. It's why I left." It's a lot to unload all at once. Quick's breathing is heavy, but says nothing else on the matter - waiting and preparing for shock or revulsion once again.

Eventually, blinking and snapping back into the present, he gives Sasha an appropriately quizzical look. "Prepare Your Farewells... that's literal? Can understand now, here. If I ever have to leave again. Back home, though? Left without a word. It's a closed chapter. Would that have broken this rule?"
    Elemental: Levinquick
    Wyrd ● | Health | Glamour | Willpower

S
    Sasha

The Dancer wondered after the Elemental stated all he did, that Sasha may rescind her offer. It would be cruel to do to someone who wanted to put roots down in a Freehold. Sure, his past wasn't the greatest, but whose was among them all?

Sasha probably should have been shocked to hear all of this. By now, she wasn't. Having been around far many walks of life who did far more terrible things than Quick had just admitted. "Firstly, you were a child doing the mundane things. I am guessing you did it not necessarily just to have a good time."

"Secondly, I guess I've never thought stealing was bad if you needed it." The Fairest wasn't about to presume he was poor or doing it for fun, she had no idea. But her opinion of people had changed so much, judging before knowing wasn't something she was about to start doing now.

"About your Fetch. It isn't something uncommon. Should I be more concerned, perhaps. But, you saw someone who was in your place with your boyfriend. In this day and age, who knows what it could have been. You were trying to protect him and anyone else you loved." Something Sasha had thought about doing, but there hadn't been a need to.

Shaking her head. "No, that doesn't always have to be literal. Preparing your farewells is more for ones self. Being ready to leave at the drop of a hat and not worrying about what's left behind is more so the gist of that phrase. Some Winter's make it more of a point to never really get close to someone. That is how they interpret the Ice Laws. They are all left to interpretation. One King or Queen may have a different opinion versus the next. Hiding your love and hate, for example. Some take that literally. Never showing emotion or becoming emotional. But, how are you to know if that person isn't a True Fae or something else disguised? Our emotions are what differentiates Us from Them."

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

Quick is crowned with an ostentatious arc of hair that resembles a jagged bolt of lightning. He is very lithe and slightly taller than his Mask appears. His skin is a very pale shade of teal, and is covered in tiny filaments like cracks which glow an orange-red. The tips of his fingers and toes come to points, and his shoulders have hard, jagged projections growing from them.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quick merely snorts at the idea. He hadn't exactly been Robin Hood, but there was more to it than childish pranks. Rather than elaborate, though, he lets her continue.

"We knew it was wrong. Just felt tired of being second rate. Town full of rich people like that... just wanted to fit in. My parents? My friends' parents? They couldn't buy us trendy clothes. Cell phones. Whatever else. So we took what we could. And we fit in."

Quick attempts at a shrug, though it probably isn't convincing. "Right." Things with his Fetch could have gone much worse, but it doesn't make him feel any better. Any kind of murder - hot or cold blooded - still rightfully makes his skin crawl. The fact that he hadn't known the thing was human until after it died is still piss poor consolation.

He nods along with Sasha's explanation, feeling a little better about it. "Alright. What about the first one? 'Let Every Court Know its Function'." he recites, almost like a chore. Not for any long winded schooling he'd endured - obviously he's had none - but rather for how long winded it sounds coming from his mouth. He shakes his head. "Are we babysitters, then? Police? Watching the other Seasons, making sure they act right?"

S
    Sasha

The Fairest didn't bat an eye at his past. That's exactly what it was, Quick's past. There wasn't anything else she could say about his Fetch or any of his past deeds that wouldn't sound like it was patronizing. "If you want to talk about anything else in detail about your past, please just ask."

Trying not to chuckle, the Onyx softly smirked. "Well, not necessarily babysitters, per say. This is a bit difficult at times. Once in a while, people get headstrong and carried away and try to do things that would fall against their Court beliefs. For example, if Autumn is the Court of Fear, then if they become constantly angry or start wanting to be at war with someone or something else, then it's times like that we can gently intercede and remind them. The same goes for Spring, if they want to host say a Day of the Dead party, well, it may be a party for some but its more likely something that Autumn or Winter should be doing."

The Dancer realized they were very vague examples, yet also general as well. "Let's just say that over time and getting to know others, you will know when something isn't right. This is why I have friends in multiple Courts, to better understand each and to know when to step in." Which Sasha had to do quite recently.

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quick nods, more to move past the subject than anything else. There would be other times to dwell on the past. Of this, he's sure.

It's a little surprising that she smirks, and the Elemental half wonders if he's made some social blunder. But she explains her position on this Ice Law, and he feels more comfortable with it. He even smiles a bit himself. "Been doing some of that myself. Only Court I haven't picked the brains of is Autumn." He laughs lightly. "Soon enough, though." Autumn is right around the corner. This would mean spending more time with the creepy little mole-man, though.

Looking just a little awkward, rubbing the back of his neck, he asks "So what's next? Do I just 'poof' and become a Winter? Or is it more complicated? Like an Oath... or something." He's thoroughly made his mind up now, but there's still the matter of formalities.

S
    Sasha

Nodding, the Dancer simply added. "I've had a lot of friends from the Autumn court. They were fierce friends and even though they weren't fighters, they were very protective of their friends. We may not have family any longer, but to find others in our Freehold we can call family is truly something special." Even though her sister Terri was long gone, she missed her dearly.

The Fairest wasn't entirely sure how to respond to it. She remembers sort of invoking Winter but nothing more. "Well, you need to find some way to begin embracing it. I mean, sure, you've joined which is sort of 'poof' but, I think you need to find Winter, and how it matters to you or how you will perceive it." She paused, her head tilted slightly. "Am I making sense?"

"The Oaths I swore in the past were to the Freehold during the Winter months. Due no harm and that sort of thing was for the Freehold and it's entirety. But, I swore with my Queen at that time so the Sovereign I was sworn too didn't try and command me to do something against my Court's beliefs, or my Sovereign. Additionally, so they couldn't turn me on my Sovereign."

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

"That would be nice. The... family thing." He shakes his head, lips turning into a thoughtful frown. "Not that I've been lonely. Opening up to the idea, though? Family? Its a nice thought. Change of pace." Tilting his head to one side, he asks "Who were your family? Not... the mundane one. The ones here."

"I guess. Means I've got some searching ahead."
    He can only imagine what that would mean. Maybe a literal search. Maybe something profound. Hah! Right... He's never really been the soul-searching type. The idea of going on some vision quest seems ridiculous. Then again, stranger things have happened.

"You're the boss." he says, with a little smile in acknowledgement. "You tell me what's needed. A Pledge now or a Pledge in Winter. Just... let me know if I need to call you 'my Queen'. Or anything." Even forming the words feels awkward. An archaic homage to leaders used in the modern world. In a country that has no royalty.

S
    Sasha

The Fairest had a reasonably happy glow about her as memories flooded through. "Rook, Spartan to start with. Later Terri and Rick." Although she didn't get too far into detail later regarding Rick. "Perry as well. I know the names don't do you any good. But, I feel like Harvey was family, perhaps I wanted something else. He was protective, in his own way. But, the only Winter I was closer with than the rest. All the others were Summer, Autumn and Springs. Pretty strange hmm?"
    Sasha also didn't mention those who were potential lovers or people she was interested. There was a difference between them and family in her eyes.

"How about a Pledge now. That way you don't need to wait and if some unforeseen circumstance arises, at least your ducks are in a row."

She contemplated the latter. "I think in formal affairs you can address me as Queen. Otherwise, it's not necessary in my opinion." The Dancer wasn't like Katrin and a stickler for all things to be formal.

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

(Vow)Willpower 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

It's remarkable how many names the Winter Queen goes over. Certainly she's not as cold as her Season might represent, to have so many friends she could call family. It's a comforting buffer to throwing in his lot with the same. He shakes his head a little, smiling. "Not that strange. Can't help who we're drawn to, right?"

The Levinquick nods, licking his lips and drawing a breath for what would certainly feel like a full fledged epic. He wills his impatience away and faces Sasha. And he's almost certain this would qualify as a 'formal affair'. "My Queen, for the duration of a season, I vow to keep my fae nature hidden and uphold the Ice Laws. If I fail in this, may I be banished from the Freehold." Quick exhales, momentarily relaxing. A season seems a small amount of time to swear your loyalty, but he has to start somewhere. Sasha would understand.

pledge

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 14

You do not have permission to view the list of names.