Ended
Watch

The Heat of the Day

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    A
    Alexander Brown

Things were going at a breakneck speed for the Freehold and for Alexander lately. The arrival of Lev paired with Otto's departure (and not so much as a note left!), their visit at Ouphoria and imminent capture of that dealer, hopefully allowing them to dismantle the organization... and the discussion/argument that ensued at the Maze. It was some days ago, but the King of Summer is still unable to let it go. Especially in the light of the Announcement hanging nearby.

That's why he'd decided to abandon the tradition of meetings in the dead of night, and instead texted Circe to meet him in front of the High Striker precisely at noon. He knew the gunrunner was working at the park, so likely it won't be an issue. After all, she knows all the bosses.

And so he waits, leaned against the Striker's wall, scanning his surroundings from above the newspaper, jeans and a black Rage Against The Machine t-shirt allowing the Darkling to blend in with ease.

What will the day bring? he wonders.

Mantle
    (Summer: Sun beating down)
    Wyrd
    Donovan Ackerman

Mask
    Most of the time he is hunched over, crouching, sitting on his heels or in some other posture that belies his six foot height. His skin is very tanned and weather worn from long days working outside. Donovan wears durable clothes. Most of it is old and patched. As often as he can get away with it, he doesn't wear shoes.
    Mien

Mien
    While he stays the same height his body and limbs become wiry and lanky, like he's been starved. His callouses are noticeably thicker. Dust and bits of chaff cling to his clothes. Straw and small twigs stick out of his hair. He constantly has mud on his hands. Loam is caked on his feet. Small plants sprouting from the dirt. Probably most distinct though is the smell. Sweat, hay, fresh turned earth, scents of fey animals and fruit, and manure
    Active Pledges

PRE

If rumors were to be trusted, Funderland was where the Lost gathered like ivy in the shady. Not that there seemed a great deal of that around right now. It being high noon, Donovan’s mantle seemed hardly noticeable and only served to enhance the rays of the Summer Californian sun already beating down on the park. However, given he basically lived with that feeling night and day already, the tanned Woodwalker barely noticed anyway.

Making his way through the crowd, he headed towards High Striker. It seemed the obvious choice for potentially meeting other Summer Changelings. Although, even looking, he nearly missed the Darkling. The man’s mien was subtle and his mantle felt about as natural as Donovan’s given the day, but there was a… flatness to the eyes peering above the newspaper. Like they were painted on with matte paint.

“Hey,” he called out from where he was before marching up. With him comes the pungent odor of musk, cucumber, and manure. The mortals that pass by don’t seem to notice. Not a wrinkled nose in sight.

“Howdy,” once he got closer “Donovan Ackerman.” A mud crusted hand is presented. Friendly enough even his expression was more serious than cordial.

“I’m lookin’ for a place to get angry and heard I might find some anger management here. You know if that’s right?"
    Wizened Woodwalker; Mantle: feel the sun beating down
    Defense: 2, Armor: 0, Speed:10

3. Likes Origins, Travisc06489 liked this post
    A
    Alexander Brown

Alex smelled and felt the man before he saw him in the crowd. At first it was the fragrance of vegetables, musk and manure, baked in the hotness that could only be
    a reflection of that of the sun itself. When he heard his voice and looked up to see the tall, wiry figure there could be no question left in the Darkling's mind. He had a
    fellow Lost before him, and one allied with the Iron Spear at that.

Talk about providence.

"Alexander Brown, but 'Alex' works, too." He speaks while shaking Donovan's mud-covered hand. "I was waiting here for someone. Another member of our club. She appears to be
    running a little late, however. If you excuse me for a second" He pulls out a phone from his pocket and sends another text to Circe , informing her of the change of plans
    and that he'll meet her in the storage area out back "But no matter. In fact, it's good you're here. We have much to discuss." But not here. With a gesture he urges Donovan
    to follow him, and if he does, the two of them will find themselves in the Striker's storage area, now completely lifeless and silent.

"Very well, now we can speak openly. Yes, you've flawlessly found the place assigned to the Summer Court, over which I currently preside. We may have some time before
    Circe gets here, so let's get to know each other a little better. You've been in the city long? Do you have a place to stay?" He still remembered Lev, the Lion Man, who
    accidentaly made him aware that not all new arrivals were able to secure accomodations. "Oh, and lastly: were you officially acknowledged as a member?"

Mantle
    Wyrd
    Donovan Ackerman

Mask
    Most of the time he is hunched over, crouching, sitting on his heels or in some other posture that belies his six foot height. His skin is very tanned and weather worn from long days working outside. Donovan wears durable clothes. Most of it is old and patched. As often as he can get away with it, he doesn't wear shoes.
    Mien

Mien
    While he stays the same height his body and limbs become wiry and lanky, like he's been starved. His callouses are noticeably thicker. Dust and bits of chaff cling to his clothes. Straw and small twigs stick out of his hair. He constantly has mud on his hands. Loam is caked on his feet. Small plants sprouting from the dirt. Probably most distinct though is the smell. Sweat, hay, fresh turned earth, scents of fey animals and fruit, and manure
    Active Pledges

PRE

“Much to discuss?” he asked with a little surprise. It was true he still needed a good plain conversation on what was going on in Sacramento but this sounded like more than a simple local briefing.

Donovan followed with some slight apprehension. His fists balled instinctively in his pockets. He didn’t really expect a fight. Everything he’d learned said this was indeed the local Freehold. Still, there was always that doubt that he’d run into a cell of Loyalists and a quiet lifeless storage area was the perfect place to ambush and drag someone into the Hedge.

Donovan sniffed and shrugged at the ‘flawless’ comment. Then squinted when Alex said he ruled Summer. “I’ll be honest, yer breeze seems a bit gentle for a King,” he said offhandedly.

“Here a month-ish now. Been able to find a couple shelters that don’t ask too many questions.” The Wizened didn’t sound particularly worried about the fact he was homeless. Though in truth he would be staying on the streets more often than not anyways. Hanging around law buildings hoping to catch sight of his fetch.

“And nope, ain’t been pledged in yet. Heard talk of needing to get with ‘management’. Which given that’s what you are,” he still sounded incredulous of that “I’m guessing that can be fixed right now.”

Circe
    Circe
    Circe Scenes

Rage singing, no work with Ozzy, Shake the shanty

+1
    SL
    PRE

ooc: sorry for the delay, been sick but back now.

Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Merit-Striking Looks (exotic)
    Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.
    Circe Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Circe actually looked pissed for once as she walked to the meeting. For a variety of reasons she was regretting to volunteer her mechanical skills to the park. She was just glad the utility jumpsuits were stain repelling. And that she didn't want to be a plumber.

As is she still had to switch to a second suit, which she wore half rolled down with the sleeves tied around her waist as she was "on break." This actually worked to get people to stop bothering her and she could still access her cell phone. Which was why she knew to go for the storage room instead of wandering out front like an idiot.

Circe ducked around behind the building and went for the loading door, fishing out her keys and gaining access that way. "Yo Alex! I regret giving up beer right now," was her snarky comment as she closed the door, "So who's the noob?"

Then she walked in and saw Donovan, "Oh him," she shrugs and leans up against one bare wall space, "Boss?" she looks at Alex, "He's alright, but is he the only business for Summer today?"
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

A
    Alexander Brown

"Aw, and now my feelings are hurt" He says mockingly when Donovan comments on his Mantle "What can I say, subtlety is a useful ally, in war and negotiations" He ends a little philosophically, feeling an elaborate description of just how he became King and all the implications of that chain of events would be counter-productive.

A month? That's a long time to be off the radar, especially since Sacramento is not that big. Either this guy is really good at hiding or his network of informants needs a little reworking. Still, only after Alex heard the answer to his second question did he froze and looked right at Donovan with a mixture of concern and uncertainty. "Shelters? Why..." He stops himself, deciding instead to fill one more room at the hotel he knows "Doesn't matter. Our people won't be living in no homeless shelters. There's a hotel called 'The Open Arms' at [address], I'll book you a room. Tell them I sent you and no questions will be asked" Unless Donovan directly opposes the idea, a minute later the deed is done and the room is booked.

For a second Alexander's face is covered in heavy storm clouds, and his features seem to be a little sharper when the new guy brings up management. Then, however, everything returns back to normal forthe sake of keeping this meeting civil "Yes and no. Yes, because to get Acknowledged you need to talk with the Activities Director, that'd be Mhairi Ankaa the Queen of Autumn, the Notary - Sasha Collins, the Queen of Winter... or with the Groundskeeper" A deep breath and then exhaling "Until recently, that was me. However, due to a conflict we have, the position remains unoccupied for now. I think there's an Announcement lying around here somewhere. It's one of the things I wanted us to talk about" He's done it. The situation explained and nothing broken. Better than the last couple of days at his apartment.

He's got half a mind to start the meeting already, with or without the gunrunner, but then Circe enters... and looks pissed. Alex chooses not to inquire as to why.

"Circe! Good to see you" The mirth in the King's tone leaves no doubt that this is, indeed, true "No, hardly the only business. I think the most pressing matter for now is the criminal organization operating out of a club called 'Ouphoria'. We have reason to believe that they're distributing some kind of Hedge fruit as a drug... that has the side effect of allowing muggles to see past the Mask" although he recounted past events with the efficiency of a bookkeeper, he didn't need to explain how dangerous it was "We paid them a visit but didn't learn much. Sadly, the owner saw past our deception. We did, however, acquire a contact to one of his dealers and set up a meeting. We won't show, but the police will. My friends at law enforcement were so kind to agree on giving us free rein to interrogate him, so long as we don't hurt him, as well as allowing us to take a look at his things before they are processed into evidence." Boy, isn't that a lot of words. Finally, however, they stop flowing, at least for a while, to assess Circe's and Donovan's reaction to everything he's said so far.

"We have one shot at this, so our strategy needs to be well thought-out. I have an idea, but first I'd like to hear your thoughts"

Mantle
    Wyrd
    Donovan Ackerman

Mask
    Mien

Mien
    Active Pledges

PRE

“Oh, me,” he deadpanned back Circe, though it seemed more habit than actual insult. He’d be annoyed too if he’d been called away from work to meet someone he’d already met.

“Uh-huh.” Donovan raised an eyebrow at Alex’s non-explanation. Sure strength wasn’t everything but mantle wasn’t just strength, it was favor. You’d think someone favored enough to get the crown would be better favored by the Season. But arguing about a mystically made decision was not something Donovan was about to do.

He met Brown’s concern and uncertainty with a half-smile. “What? Ain’t that bad. Better than a stone floor.” Though back then he’d had Hearthfire. “But if yer offerin’ and it’s free, ain’t goin’ to say no.” It was good to see there was at least some system set up.

Then the conversation turned to… ugh, politics. If the King wanted to talk about it, fine but Donovan wasn’t obliged to think better about in-fighting and position.

“I know a bit ‘bout Goblin Fruit.” After twelve years of farming it he had better. “How sure are you it’s from the Hedge? I’ve heard of drunks seein’ past the Mask. Sure this ain’t some normal drunk made under a new moon or some shit like that?”

10. Likes Origins, liked this post
    Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Merit-Striking Looks (exotic)
    Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.
    Circe Scenes

(Harden Mask)Glamour 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

"Yup you," Circe deadpanned right back at Donovan.

Circe let out a defeated sigh during Alex's recap of their little adventure, "To be fair, we didn't do great on faking the mafia," which got a small smile from her even with her anger. So they were making the interrogation plan then? And Donovan asked a stupid question. Wait, no Donovan wasn't there so he needed filling in.

Circe shook her head in the negative, "The others that saw the fruit assure me it was goblin fruit. I didn't partake myself. 'cause," she gave a wide wave of her hand, "high and guns are a bad mix." She grimaced but gave Donovan a nod in agreement, "Yeah, plenty of shit the normals can take to see through the Mask. But what are the chances a hobgoblin," she held up her left hand and extended her pinky finger, "is selling narcotic fruit," up went the ring finger, "that lets everyone see through the Mask," the middle finger joined them, "is not selling goblin fruit?" she leaned forward to give Donovan a flat look. Her ears were flush to her skull, "Hint: it's about on par of me foresaking boomsticks in favor of only using by fists."

Circe leaned back and her ears eased a little away from her head. She looked over at Alexander, "I ain't the best bullshitter and my 'bad cop,'" she actually made air quotes, "knowledge for interrogation is basically Ghestappo. The big question is what the dealer caught is." After a pause she continued,"Is the dealer a normal, Lost, or a hob? Which determines how we can try to bullshit them. First we can probably try some goodie goodie lawyer angle. Or rival recruitment. Other two?" She tilts her head, "Freehold trying to minimize bad shit? Ha, kinda what we're doing ain't it?"

Another thought came to the elf, causing her ears to perk up, "Or if we don't want a fae dealer to know we're Lost we could always," Glamour glowed and the slate blue elf disappeared. Leaving behind a blonde, dusky Italian beauty, "just wear our game faces."
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

12. Likes Travisc06489 liked this post
    A
    Alexander Brown

Donovan sounded unconvinced.

Unconvinced about the validity of Alex's leadership - which was understandable, but hardly fixable right now. The Wizened seems unwilling to continue on the matter, which suits the Darkling fine, giving him time to prove himslef through actions rather than declarations.

Unconvinced about whether or not the fruit was indeed magical in nature. Although Circe did a great ob explaining how it was nigh impossible for it to not be the case, he feels the need to impart his personal experience on the two, aiming to dispel any lingering doubt "It's true what Circe says. Besides, when I consumed it, there was a rush of something that could only be the Wyrd. From what I gathered, the experience of the other person with us was similar. I am uncertain about almost everything else in this matter, but of this I'm sure: it was grown in the Hedge"

On the other hand, it was good to hear he accepted the offer to stay at the hotel "There's one of the Lost there already. Big fellow by the name Lev. Looks like a lion, can't miss him" It'd be hard indeed to miss someone rivaling Malcolm Green in terms of posture "Normally I'd direct you to a boarding house we had some time ago, but it's no longer in service. You might've noticed it on your way in as the Haunted House"

But to business.

"I sincerely doubt the dealer is a fae. Or that he really knows the potency of this stuff. If he was, and he did, the risk of him getting away with the produce to sell it in the Hedge and then vanish would be too big to be economically viable. Still, it's a good idea to wear our game faces that day, in case I'm wrong or he uses the fruit himself. But regardless, we could try to convince him to see things our way. We failed the first time because the owner, whoever he was, was extremely suspicious and unwilling to take risks in the name of possible profit. It means he's likely going to kill the dealer whether he talks or not." Of course, he's not sure, but based on countless pub talks with cops that what he believes "Therefore, if he cooperates, he'll be out of jail in a couple of years, long after his organization is history. Or he stays loyal to his boss, we cut him loose and make sure the right words reach the right ears, meaning he'd be treated as a snitch and killed before he reaches safe haven" It's not a failsafe or universal plan, but in the Darkling's eyes it's a start, a foundation to build on. Or a point of reference to disagree with.

He's waiting to see which stance they will choose.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.