Watch

The Crossroads

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    A
    Alexander Brown

He's taken every precaution.

He's dug up the most casual outfit he could possibly find, chose an hour late enough that barely anyone was around but early enough not to draw unnecessary attention. The meeting place was a wooden gazebo at McKinley Park, conveniently situated in the center of a mostly empty space that allows for easily spotting anyone who might eavesdrop. To get there he took a bus, or more accurately: buses, because he changed the lines twice. Time and location were texted to the Onyx Queen at the day of the meeting, less than ten hours ago.

Alexander wondered if he's going mad, if it's not a bit paranoid. He hoped their next meeting would be different, completely not about business. Well, no such luck. To be frank, he wasn't certain if Sasha is going to show up at all, not after what happened at the Maze. And yet, that's on the agenda today.

He created hundreds of scenarios and openings for this meeting, and if the Dancer does show up, she'll hear something like "Apologies for contacting you so suddenly, and in such unfavorable circumstances, but you know what they say: better safe than sorry." There will be a weak smile to make up for the apologetic tone, that will now shift into something more collected. "But we need to talk about what happened the other day" And there can be no question ust what day exactly Alex is referring to.

S
    Sasha

Caught by what seemed to be a whirlwind lately, Sasha began making her way to the park. She'd left a bit early so she could walk, which the Dancer never minded. She didn't want to take the old truck today, it was recognizable and it was beginning to feel like driving an eyesore.

How the other day happened, she tried to play through her head. Even though Mhairi left on a positive note, there was another note left that was not so positive. She'd cringed when she read it. Did the Autumn realize she was on the road to becoming like Katrin? Yet there was a difference in being feared and fearsome. Maybe others would quickly leave if they found out she blew a gasket in what was formerly a discussion that turned into fire and brimstone.

As Sasha neared the park, she saw Alexander in the gazebo at a distance. As she neared, he appeared to be talking to himself, but, the Dancer couldn't hear him. The slight breeze took her flowing summer dress a little, yet not revealing anything. Her long legs carried her closer to the Summer. It was different to see him in something far more casual than she'd ever seen him wearing before.

But the surprise in her face wore off as the Fairest took the steps up the gazebo and she smiled sweetly. "Hello Alexander." She was a little timid, but hit the platform. "I hope I'm not too late." She didn't think so, but she hadn't looked at the time since she'd left.

A
    Alexander Brown

Seeing her a few times before, privately and not, one would think there should be some resistance developed by Alexander to Sasha's looks, voice and that intangible natural charm that despite her Court affiliation has the ice melting in mere seconds. One would be dead wrong on the matter, and the proof of that is the smile appearing on the fledgling Summer King's face the moment he sees the Fairest approaching. The smile only widens as she begins to speak, making it a tremendous excercise of will to respond with a simple "Hello" and continue to "You're not late at all. In fact, I apologize for choosing such unfavorable time and place for our meeting, but I'm afraid the circumstances forced my hand" The cold shower of corporate talk, however inappropriate, causes the Darkling to sober up a little, allowing him to continue in a more collected fashion.

"So, I take it you've seen the announcement? It appears our beloved leader decided to stick to her word. Pity, I honestly hoped we could shape the future together" There are small cracks of irritation, but also genuine disappointment in the stone mask that is Alex's face. "But it's impossible now, and with the time not on our side we have to act quickly. With things being as they are it saddens me to say I see no other way forward but to bring forth a... change in management."

He speaks slowly and carefully, mindful that the two women are colleagues, maybe even friends. Besides, even if they weren't the proposition he is about to give wouldn't be taken lightly by anyone, regardless of their personal relationship with the leader. And so, Alexander stops now, carefully studying Sasha's face and waiting for her response.

S
    Sasha

The Fairest shook her head. Wisps of hair caught in the gentle wind that blew around the park. "The meeting place isn't unfavorable, although the reasons are exactly something that people speak of in a gazebo..." Her smile soft, her spirit still uplifting, but it didn't take long to freeze them in their tracks.

She sighed slightly, he apparently hadn't lost the heat of the argument. "Yes, I saw the announcement." Her brows twitched at the mention of 'we', but other muscles didn't move. "Of course, I was hoping that she'd renege her decision, but apparently not. Do you think if you hadn't left, that perhaps it could have been worked out?"

Sasha had a lecture going through her head right before he dismissed himself. It wasn't what she expected. But, neither was the argument prior to the leaving.

Slowly, she took a few steps on the perimeter of the pinnacle of the park. "So humor me, what sort of change in management are you speaking about?"

Before the Fairest was to tell him a few things, she'd at least hear him out.

A
    Alexander Brown

In other circumstances, this whole situation would've been nothing short of romantic. The warmth of the dying day, the colors and shadows around the greenery, the wooden gazebo. And them, two people enojoying the Summer and each other's company. But there's nothing romantic about this meeting, of which he was painfully reminded by the Fairest's sigh and frown. He feels terrible.

"Oh, I tried to have it worked out. I went to great lengths to ignore the fact that Mhairi refused to listen to anyone but herself, made absurd demands and ultimately declared the intention to kill me..." He abandons the coolness of his voice for a moment in favor of spitting the words out like hot lead, but stops himself just in time to say "By the way, thanks for changing her mind" and pick up when he left off "...but I failed. Despite all the concessions I made she remained adamant. She therefore left me no choice but to face the fact that she's unfit to lead the Freehold, as is anyone who'd rather crack a whip than listen."

Alexander stops there, allowing his words to sink in and take their effect, aware it's not going to be easy to convince the Dancer to do what he is about to propose.

"There is, however, one person in this community who has the mind, the will and the biography to lead it towards something good, someone no one would dare to defy, not even Mhairi." Another pause, very brief this time. "You"

The gentle wind veiling the gazebo is like a hurricane in the heavy silence that ensues after that. "At our next Winter gathering I'll bring the matter out publicly and propose you as our next Director. When it is resolved I'd be honored to serve the Freehold as its Groundskeeper. Of course, someone would have to fill the vacant Notary's office, and if I may be so bold I think the Springs might be interested." He sounds confident, like he's given this much thought and is certain things will go the way he intends them to "But before that happens we'd have to convince the others that they'll be better off under your administration. I'll reach out to Summers and Springs, which leaves us with Thomas and the Courtless..." He intentionally doesn't end that sentence with a dot, in the realization what he's just said. To overthrow a supreme leader and a Seasonal Sovereign. Outrageous. Daunting.

Necessary.

S
    Sasha

The Darkling was right, he did try to work it out with her. In the end, she still couldn't see past whatever was bothering him.

The Fairest froze when Alex indicated herself. "You want me to usurp Mhairi?" Her tone not surprised, but thoughtful. It was something that she thought should have been in the beginning.

She said with confusion, yet curiosity now stepping slowly toward Alexander. "What do you mean by biography?" Oddly enough, the other descriptors Sasha didn't question. By now, these things made up components of herself, although the road had been long and hard.

Checking the area around them with glances full circle before she spoke. Her tone still even, and the Fairest's voice at a volume above a whisper. "Is there a reason you don't want to bring it up at the next club gathering?"

Because she was who she was, the Fairest was honest with the Summer. After all, trying to hide things was a difficult game and many people could get hurt. "I should let you know, Mhairi and I are friends. If you want to bring this to the General Populous, please do so. But please know that I won't get in the middle of your suggestions. We all have issues, some more deeply rooted than others. I won't tell you what we spoke of after you left." Shaking her head slowly.

"But, what happened the other day was a challenge. Something that I didn't think I was possible before, to be unbiased and listen to both sides and throw out anything outside of that room in previous days. Up until that day, I'd never personally experienced an argument of that size before, at least not in any position of importance." The Dancer hoped she wasn't rambling an that it made sense.

"I hold you both in high regard. And I hope that after hearing what I said, you haven't changed your mind about... anything." Her violets looked into where the place his eyes would be.

A
    Alexander Brown

Well, that could've gone worse. He was asking for a lot, and yet Sasha kept an open mind. If anything, it cemented his belief that if there's anyone he wanted to see as Director, it was her.

"Usurp?" He shakes his head "You make it sound like this position is her birthright. Way I see it, she had a job and she failed, meaning she needs to be replaced with someone capable" A legitimate political process, as far as the Darkling is concerned. No violence, ust the people speaking their minds.

The biography thing raised some understandable confusion, yet Alexander answers swiftly and certainly, as if he expected the question "You've been here the longest, you are the Queen, you have established the Note, endured the Dragon and whatever else there was to endure, and now you're one of the Big Three. As far as anyone here, myself included, is concerned you are as irreplacable as the oxygen we all breathe. No one can beat that kind of curriculum vitae" He smiles, but there's no cheerfulness in the expression, only reassurance.

"Three reasons" He explained at the next point of concern "First, I need that ridiculous Pledge lifted and the bond severed in case of the unexpected" Pledges are leashes by nature, there's no telling how they can be used against you - especially if you don't know much about them to begin with "Second, there's a lot of legwork to be done to make sure we've talked with everybody and met the conditions of their support, if any. And third, Winter is a natural time for the Season's Sovereign to assume the highest office" He fell silent, satisfied with the enumeration

He frowns at what Sasha says next, taking it as a slight hint of mistrust "And I won't ask" Although to tell he wouldn't give much to know ust what was discussed after his departure would be a lie "I see where you're standing, but still ask you to reconsider. I have no intention of damaging your friendship, and ust so we get this out of the way, once Mhairi steps down and pledges not to take office again I'll consider all grudges settled. There will be no payback of any kind. However, leaving someone such as Mhairi in office is an enormous liability, one that can endanger everyone in the Freehold and a lot of innocent people whose only fault was to find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. Dozens, hundreds of lives at stake" His tone shifts from factual to stern in seconds, indicating that the man sincerely believes in what he says despite others who might have a different stance on it all. "This is bigger than me or you. If your influence can make her see reason and end this, please use it. For all we know she might be struggling with a burden too heavy for her to carry, and relieving her of it would be a blessing to her as much as it'd be to the rest of us"

"That's exactly what I'm talking about! You didn't choose a side even though both of us wanted you to. But I'm afraid the time to be impartial has passed" It's in the Dancer's best interest, anyway. It'd be hard for people to believe she has no opinion on the matter while clearly having a stake. But of course, the Darkling won't tell her that in fear of being read as pushy.

"No" the word is heavy like a block of stone, much unlike the enchanting violet eyes gazing deep into him. Although not spoken alout, the Dancer's intent was clear "I want us to move forward, when the time is right." The statement left intentionally ambigous, and just as easy to read for L'aire.

S
    Sasha

Long ago, if you would have asked the Dancer if she was capable of leading her Season, the answer would have been no. If you had asked her if she was capable of leading a Freehold, she would have shook her head. Now, the times had definitely changed. She had gained something over time that she never thought she would; courage. It was perhaps that she always had it, but, suddenly it was brought into light. Observing and listening may have paid off far more than she ever thought. Still, she didn't necessarily want it this way.

Alex's reasons for waiting until Winter were solid and she nodded as he spoke for each one.

"I understand that we need someone capable and you think I am the one to do it. I want you to know, that I am not perfect. I will probably make mistakes and wrong decisions. But, it's because do not have the years of being old and those years of experience."

"I will not deny a conversation if someone engages me in one regarding anything. But, I will answer honestly and not make up anything that will eventually catch up with me." Sadly, she may not need to.

"I do think the two of you should speak again. Maybe with not only myself but another. Perhaps someone of my choosing." It was far too bad that Brigid had departed from the Freehold, the Wizened would have been just and impartial as well.

She heard him, at the end, but Sasha wasn't about to press it further just yet. She wanted to hear what he else he had to say.

A
    Alexander Brown

Alex shook his head. Modesty, of course. Humility.

"Nobody's perfect. But some people come closer than others" Sure, their discussion was probably the most serious they ever had, but the urge to sneak in this cheesy compliment was simply irresistible "That's not the point, though. Nobody expects or wants a marble statue to lead them. People want flesh and blood, someone who will listen to and understand their struggles. Give them hope, an example to follow." Gone was the cheesiness, again replaced by that tone indicating the speaker considers what he's saying the Lord's Gospel Truth "And you, Sasha Collins, the Queen of Winter, are the embodiment of hope"

They seem to have a slight misunderstanding, however. Or was it just him? "I'm not asking you to make up anything. One of the things" Of the terrifying kind "about all of this is we don't have to lie or manipulate anyone. All we have to do is present the facts. Bring them to the light, until no one can escape them and has to make a stand" And have them both exalted or hanged. Not that the Darkling got cold feet, far from it, but when he left the Blue Note with a distinct feeling of their lives being connected all this time ago, he had something different in mind. Perhaps as a defense mechanism, a half-smile appears on his face and vanishes just as quickly.

"Who'd you choose?" Hopefully someone big enough to stop both of them when it'll come to blows, which will unavoidably happen "And what do you want us to talk about? How would it be different from last time? Mhairi accepts nothing but obedience - when all of this is over and everyone will cool down, we might sit at the same table. But the way I see it now, it's a fool's errand until proven otherwise" What would it bring, anyway? The Queen of Autumn made it abundantly clear she won't change her position about... pretty much anything. No, it's a war she brought on herself. And the price of pride must be paid.

S
    Sasha

Perfect was a dangerous word, at least to the Fairest. She was a perfectionist when it came to some things and very hard on herself if she didn't achieve what she wanted. It was difficult to hear such compliments of this nature. Dancing and performance were easy, this was not.

Her violets suddenly became surprised when Alex said 'embodiment of hope.' A soft smile appeared over here face briefly.

"Maybe embellish was a better word to use. Either way, I see what you are saying. I am good at staying with the facts." At the same time, the Dancer also felt like she was throwing Mhairi under a bus. The Autumn had calmed down immensely after Alex left, but considering she couldn't explain why the Summer's presence did what it did in full detail, all of this was hard to swallow.

"I would choose someone newer, or, perhaps someone that was not in either of your Courts." The Dancer was wise and didn't want to let on who it would be so he would not speak to them before. "Perhaps there is an agreement the two of you can come to terms with, other than what happened. And after having some time to go over everything that happened in my head, I would like to to readdress a few things."

"But, you may be right and it wouldn't change anything." Sasha said with more of an agreement to what he said, but not necessarily hopelessness.

"I do have a question though, Alex."
    Her head tilted slightly, ready to listen. "Why do you think she has a problem with you?"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.