Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3/1

[2R] Analyze Artefact (Deep Scrutiny of Artefacts, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [4R] Dark Matter (Matter Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [2R] One Mind, Two Thoughts (Prolonged, 1 scene)

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Personal Spells: 1/3

[4] Aura Perception (Concentration, 1 scene)

[5] Third Eye (Mind Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)

[2R] Unseen Aegis (Armor, 1 scene)

PRE

The summer afternoon drew toward night as the shadows deepened and the glimmering orb of the sun dipped closer and closer to the horizon. Already it was lost behind the screen of trees, a bright source of light, transfigured and dappled by the branches, leaves, and trunks of the protective trees. Campanella stood by the door and breathed in the rich scents of the woods, relishing the cool of the approaching evening.

Midsummer at its best.

He had given Vigil the directions to the Sanctum. He waited for the Arrow and hoped that his colleague, Archangel Michael would join them as well. Then they would be a real Cabal for the first time.
    Vigil roadnottaken
    Campanella|Moros|Mysterium
    Gnosis: 4
    Occult Skill: 3

V
    Vigil

A crunch of footsteps on gravel, heralding his approach. Vigil steps into view soon enough, eyes darting between trees.

Every life, a reminder of an ending. What would be accomplished before that end came? And after? Dead plants broke down to feed the soil, finding new purpose.

The Moros breaks out of his musing as he approaches the doorway, with a nod to Campanella. "This place is pleasant, sheltered. How long have you had it?"

Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

Campanella responds to Vigil's greeting with a nod of his own.

"I've had the place a couple of months now."

A pause.

"Oh my! I should have had a speech or something formal planned, to welcome you to the Sanctum. Ah well, I'm finding formality is being eroded away in times like this. Please come on in... Or did you want to walk around the area first? Its lovely out and the woods are calming. If you head in that direction you'll be able to see Carmichael and Arden Arcade across the river. Otherwise... the illusion of isolation is almost perfect."

Vigil
    Moros, Adamantine Arrow

"Let's walk for a bit. Preferably in the other direction. I'd like to keep my illusions for now." a quick smile.

Vigil turns and begins strolling, into the woods. "I've never had much use for formality myself. Not much place for it before Awakening, and I had other problems, after." He grimaces. "San Francisco's a mess, and I wish I could blame it on Seers. It'd be simpler."

Without warning, he pulls a leaf off a nearby branch, the colors and scents of death gathering around it as it flutters to the ground. In his mind's eye, another scene forms, of the Bridge, and the dark waters beneath. A brief shudder.

"When you came here, were you running towards this city, or away from another?"

Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

Campanella joins Vigil, light briefly flaring over his head as he passes a gap in the trees. He watches the other mage curiously as he plucks a leaf and shudders. The Moros say's nothing.

"Is San Francisco that... bad?" He asks quietly. Campanella has had dealings with the Golden Consilium, of course; and he knew a little of the history. Yet he had never resided in the Bay area proper and much of the inner workings of that large Consilium remained lost in the realm of conjecture and rumour.

"It would be more appropriate to say I was running from another." He responded easily to Vigil's question. "I Awakened in D.C. The Consilium had just fallen: compromised from within, pressured from without. The Seers swept it all away. I guess I was lucky - the Pentacle found me before the Seers did and I was rapidly inducted into the Mysteries. Perhaps a little to rapidly, I might add, now." The last is drawn from him: a realisation and admission of his own failings.

"Very quickly I was a pawn in an elaborate spy game between my Order and the Seers. I wasn't very good at it, and, yes... I was the weak link. My saving grace was that I knew it, too. So I got out before I could be compromised and turned. I spent a long time changing my identity and... trying, one might say... to cover my tracks. I was aimlessly heading toward the west coast, somehow found myself in California. And the River City Consilium has an attractive power all of its own. This I think you already know."

V
    Vigil

A rueful smile, which disappears almost instantly. "Seers might almost have been easier to bear. I spent as much time hiding as learning, and left it behind not long after I learned why. The Golden Gate Bridge's suicide rate isn't a coincidence, it's a ritual. If you can stomach that, you're welcome there. If not ..." he shakes his head, his gaze drawn off into the distance. "The Arrow was shattered when they tried to do something about it. I'm just glad it was one of their remnants that found me. It at least meant that when I learned the truth, it was from someone sympathetic."

He turns his back on his fellow Moros for a long moment, seething. "I spent much of my life keeping that bridge in shape, and if someone looked ready to jump, I usually talked them down. I couldn't be part of a community that encouraged those people to die, whatever the reasoning. I don't think Witness was happy I left, but he was fighting a holding action against an enemy that had already won."

Several deep breaths later, he turns to look Campanella in the eye, having regained some semblance of calm. "So. It seems we were both fleeing battles that were already decided. I would've figured spy games would be more up the Guardians' alley, but I guess they aren't the only ones. At least Sacramento still has something worth saving."

Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

Campanella chuckled sadly.

"Yes. Yes it is. Given the way the Pentacle has been attacked... That we are here is a victory. If the Seers had had their way, we would have been swept away, possibly to never have been. We have potent allies, whoever they may be. Or when they may have been."

A frown creased his forehead as he contemplated the permutations of the Reality War.

"The Golden Gate Bridge is the focus of a ritual?" Campanella sounded surprised, impressed, and to some degree horrified. "That is... Well. Yes. I can totally understand you wishing to leave. That kind of choice is no choice at all, not really. Now I can see why the Awakened here chose independence."

He lapsed into silence, simply enjoying the walk. If Vigil wished to take control of the conversation he could do so.

V
    Vigil

Vigil nods at the question, picking his way further into the woods. "I never learned exactly what the goal was." A cough. "Or maybe Witness told me, and I was just too stunned by the cost in lives to listen. I suppose it hardly matters now. We're here, and I have no desire to return."

He walks in silence for a long moment, dark thoughts filtering through his mind. Finally pulling back into the present, the moment ends. "Independence in what way? The lack of formal structure? And how much do we know of the Consilium that was?"

Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

"I have some... vague... recollections... that the Sacramento Consilium... The River City Consilium... Was once under the jurisdiction of the Golden Consilium. Tuesday and her group claim to have met one of the founders of the... River City Consilium. A man they called Arthur, or something to that effect. A mage who was left behind during the fist battle of this time war, who grew to great age and wisdom."

Campanella winced as he spoke. How hard it was to talk of the past when there were no signposts, no reference points, or even a simple chronology. Pancrypta at its worst and it tasted like bile in his mouth.

"I'm sure I hears somewhere he may have had a hand in the Clock's creation." Now that was even worse, like the worst case of chinese whispers.

"Anyway, I understand that Sacramento was a part of the Golden Consilium. And then it wasn't. I know for a fact that however the Consilium was freed has left a strain upon Awakened relations. I've had dealings with my own Order where the past..." Campanella has to stop and pause, catch his breath, work the kink from his face - oh the pain of it all! "Keeps coming back to infect all my dealings. I don't know how the inner workings of your Order but I would suggest you steel yourself for... issues... when working the San Francisco in the future."

The light caught his eye as it sliced through the trees.

"I should tell you more of the Exchange. And what we hope to make it stand for." Yes, anything to avoid history. Effect of the reality war or the jagged edge of the Fallen World? Campanella only knew he wanted to avoid the subject.

As for the Exchange - what did it stand for? Bolide dead. Marguerite left in haste. Archangel Michael missing. The dream of a Cabal built on magical study seemed far off indeed.

V
    Vigil

A hoarse laugh. "I suppose I didn't run as far as I thought, then, if dealings with San Francisco are still common enough to be tense. I'll keep it in mind. So. Unclear past. Time weirdness. Our very own Time War, and a strained relationship with our neighbors. Guess boredom won't be one of my worries."

He shakes his head, any trace of amusement long since vanished. "Since it seems to be just the two of us for now, we may as well hash it out together. I'd like to hear your vision for the Cabal."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread