Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    (Emergency Services, Criminals)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu | Lancea Sanctum

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

Events occur directly after this glimpse.

Cross has been silent since helping to free Longstreet from his chains.

Silent as his fellow Haunt stands and stretches for the first time in a month.

Silent as he left and returned with a bucket of fetid water so his Brother could wash the blood from himself.

Silent as he handed Longstreet the jeans and white t-shit he'd brought.

Silent as Longstreet dressed.

He simply watches, ignoring the corpse sprawled nearby. The Offering he'd brought Longstreet's Beast. A necessity, nothing more. And no longer of concern.

Finally, with Longstreet properly cleaned and clothed, the Burned Man deigns to speak:

"How do you feel, Brother?"

It is a simple question. But a loaded one. Cross has no idea what torpor does to one of the Damned. But there's much to accomplish. Longstreet must be informed of recent developments. And then presented to either the Reeve, the Prince, or both. This is the best way Cross can think of to start that process.

R
    Robert Longstreet

First, there is light. Then, there is blood. Then, there are sounds which come muffled to the ears of the Beast wearing Lonstreet's skin like a coat. An eternity later, the animal backs away, sated, and reason returns. His eyes adust to the dark, taking in all the details. The chains. The tunnels. Cross. The dead body.

Holy shit, did I do that?

The man, whoever he was, did not just stumble around this place. Someone must've brought him here, reasonably expecting a frenzy. It seems it was the other Robert's doing, and as mych as he appreciated the help, he hated to be seen as this... this... thing.

He washes the blood from his body and dresses in the baggy jeans and t-shirt in a mechanical way, almost like an automaton. Finally, when all is done and he is able to stretch himself for the first time in what feels like a century, he speaks:

"I've been better, to be honest. How long have I been...out? What happened at the warehouse? Did we win? I see you're still standing, which is good, but what about the others? Also, I hope you didn't raze the Brood's hideouts to the ground yet, because me and them... we have a score to settle." A predatory grin appears on his face, as his mind is filled with images of tearing the heathens' throats out with bare hands.

"Also, thanks for...this." His eyes wander towards the corpse at their feet.

The scars and phantom pain are still there, but gradually disappearing thanks to the power of the Blood. He's back in the game. And that's all that matters.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

You know what they say about assumptions, Clarice?
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

(Noting Heightened Senses)Vitae 0 Spent
    NOS
    PRE

Cross stares, unblinking, as his Brother appoints himself. Where once there was only a Beast, the Man has returned. Cross is not fooled, though. After tonight he knows, in a way beyond the intellectual, what waits inside all of them. Not just the Monster, but its unending hunger. Even now, he can feel the flames of his Beast stirring in response to Longstreet's predatory presence. A constant reminder of what will happen if he loses control.

The questions come, and Cross lets them. It's no surprise. He'd want to know too, if he were in Longstreet's place.

As for the corpse in the room with them, Cross simply waves it off, not even looking at it. It's an extremely callous gesture. "Wheat is meant to be harvested," he replies. "Besides, he had long ago abandoned his God."

And they are Holy Wolves, set loose among the flock to punish such individuals.

Now, the answers:

"You were under for a month. Down here. I've kept a watch, waiting for tonight. The Reeve, on behalf of the Prince, requested you be moved to the Nox, but you woke before I was able to comply. I have kept you as safe as I could." A beat.

"You were the only one among us who fell at the warehouse. The Brood we met there are ash." A dry tongue unconsciously licks scarred lips. The thought of battle seems especially sweet to Cross at just this moment. "We did for them, just fine." He can almost hear the shotgun booming in the dark.

"Problem is, Alice lost control." It does not seem wrong, using her proper name here, between them. "And she was already being punished for a previous incident." A long pause as the Burned Man tightens the reigns on his Beast. "The Reeve saw. She knew. And, at a meeting recently, Alice was staked. I haven't been able to meet with the Reeve yet to discuss the terms or length of her punishment. All I know is she's at the Nox..." As he speaks, his voice is harder and harder, colder and colder, flatter and flatter. It is clear the Burned Man is not happy.

Still, ever the pragmatist, Cross forces himself to move on: "There's nothing to be done on that front. At least not right now. The first thing we need to do is meet with the Reeve. Possibly the Prince. Show them you're back on your feet." With that he stops, observing his Brother closely, trying to gauge his reaction to this flood of information.

R
    Robert Longstreet

Robert Cross, a man who Longstreet calls brother, may shrug off the fact that there is a bloodless body on the floor, but for some reason, Longstreet stares at it for... hours? Years? Seconds. Definitely seconds. The callous gesture and the cold words do not go unnoticed, and on some level, Longstreet sympathizes. They are predators. They have the mission to make humanity afraid given to them by God himself.

So why does he feel the Beast grin with joy?

"A month?" That's right, focus on the facts. "Feels like... I don't know, longer. Anyway, I don't suppose you know why the Prince wanted me moved?" Probably not to congratulate him on a job well done. After all, he was the weak link. And "weak link" sounds a lot like "weakling". "Thanks again, brother. For keeping me safe. I don't think many would accept the liability."

He is relieved to hear all the others got out of the ambush in one piece, but the news about Alice being staked gave the feeling a cold undertone. How the Burned Man's voice changed does not escape Longstreet notice, and serves as the milionth piece of evidence that there is something going on between the two. Now is not a good time to ask, though. Also, shame about the Claw Chick being ash. He half-hoped for some bloody payback.

"You're right, we should meet with Ale." If the Seneschal's name could be used, so could the Reeve's. This is the Deep Kingdom. Here, Haunts make the rules. "Maybe even the Prince if he's not too busy...Princing. Come up with a plan." For a moment, he appears deep in thoughts. It'd be the first time he'd actually meet the ruler of this Domain.

"Which reminds me. There was this other matter... the Alchemists, or whoever, based in a repair shop. What about them?"

He listens, absorbing every word and gesture like a sponge, his senses oversensitive from the sudden pull from disuse. When Cross is finished, Longstreet speaks again:

"Any other interesting things going on while I was taking a nap?"

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-06-30 15:48:52 Robert Longstreet rolls 3 to Degeneration roll (10 Again) 3, 3, 7 failure

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-06-30 15:49:14 Robert Longstreet rolls 4 to Derangement roll (10 Again) 9, 4, 7, 7 1 success

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

"A month," Cross echoes.

"And I'm not sure. The Prince is not one to explain his motives. Especially to the likes of me. All I know is what the Reeve told me: bring you to the Nox. I didn't like the idea, giving you up. But what could I do?" He pauses, wrestling again with his anger. "But, here we are. So..."

Longstreet's word of thanks elicits a shrug from the Burned Man. Not a dismissive gesture, really. Simply: what else was there to do? "We're Brothers. In faith, family, and now in battle." It's the truth. Everything that Cross holds dear, he shares with Longstreet. "And there are more battles ahead. We have yet to flush out the Brood from their other nests. You'll have your chance for revenge." His smile is a cold and scar-twisted thing. "When we speak with the Reeve, we can start forming a strategy to deal with them. And she can let us know if the Prince will require our presence, I'm sure." Is his tone flatter, more emotionless than usual? Perhaps.

"As for the Alchemists, we met with them recently. Strange breathers with stranger requests. Still trying to figure out what, exactly, they want with us. I have some leads though. One of whom is of special interest. He possesses a certain book. A hunting manual. I may need your help with that when the time comes." The Burned Man leaves it at that for now.

Any other interesting things? Isn't that enough? Cross thinks. "Unfortunately, I don't have much more information on developments in the domain. I've been focused on Family Matters."

R
    Robert Longstreet

Longstreet is not really surprised the Prince didn't explain anything to Cross. Those high up on the food chain tend to look down on his Family... until they need their help. He can't help but wonder if his motives are unknown to the Reeve as well.

"You're right. Brothers. Well, I hope you missed me because I've had enough slumber for this century." The mood is rather morose, which is a consistent theme given the place, company and circumstances, so his lousy attempt at a joke is aimed at lighting it up a bit. Whether it actually succeeds is anyone's guess, though.

He takes in the Brood news. So they have not acted on the intel they gained yet, but neither did the infernalists strike back. It can only mean both sides are licking their wounds, preparing for a final showdown. But first. "We should set up a meeting as soon as possible. There is no time to waste, I'm sure they are preparing to attack as we speak."

Now for the Alchemists. "So you didn't learn anything at the meeting? Shame. And what the hell is a hunting manual? How did mortals get a hold of it...and why?" This whole affair was strange, and each answer only spawned ten more questions. "If you need my help, give me a call."

"That's good. Good, indeed. I'd hate to learn there was a major shift in the Domain's politics. Is our newest Family member - Cynthia, I think was her name - still around?" He met the Haunt only in passing, and was eager to learn more about her soon.

When Cross is finished speaking, and there is nothing that warrants his response, Longstreet clears throat and says: "So, that's how it is, huh? Well, I think it's time we remind everyone how indispensible we are. Let's get some fresh air, shall we?"

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

"Yeah. Missed you like a hole in the head." The sarcastic reply comes out of no where. Perhaps it's out of character. But then again, maybe it's just that Longstreet doesn't know Cross that well. Or it could be he's actually serious. Hard to tell.

"But I guess it's okay to have you back."

His Brother's urgency concerning the Brood is understandable. And shared. "Oh, they are. But let them. For now. Any time those idiots waste scheming will come to nothing. Whatever they think up, it'll just be the warehouse again. Blood and rage and thoughtlessness. And we won that...In the end." A beat, as he looks over the resurrected Longstreet. He'd fallen of course. But he's back. The Brood they'd fought? Nothing can come back from ash. "We'll meet with the Reeve as soon as possible. We'll plan. And we'll execute." Cross makes it sound simple. But there's no other choice. Either they turn back this black tide or the domain is overrun.

"We learned they have no idea who or what we are," he answers concerning the Alchemists. "But they think we're something and that we're invested in their experiment concerning whatever it is they mean by the 'Golden Dawn.'" He sneers at the mysticism of these Breathers. "We learned the names of a lot of esoteric ingredients needed for this process, that they'd like us to acquire." Names the Burned Man will share later. "We learned that the original two have parted ways over unknown differences. And it's the one who wasn't present--the hunchback--who has that book." He frowns. "I'm not sure where it comes from. Or who wrote it. But I do know that it's a masquerade breach in and of itself. And he's trying to sell it." Something that obviously must be stopped.

"Cynthia is still around. She's volunteered to resurrect the garbage pit down here. Which is good." A pause. "We asked her to attend the meeting with the Alchemists in your place. She was very useful." Indeed, Cynthia had smoothed over Alice's difficulty with the conversation, and her sudden departure.

At Longstreet's final question, Cross gives him a scar-twisting smirk: "Isn't that enough? You in torpor. Alice in torpor. Occult activities involving us in ways we can't understand. A written guide on hunting and killing the Damned. Do you need anything else?" A dry chuckle in the dark.

But air? Yeah, that sounds good. "Sure. Let's go up." Again, that dismissive gesture toward the corpse. "I'll take care of this mess later." He turns smartly on his heel and begins retracing his way through the catacombs. Knowing Longstreet will follow.

"So what's it like anyway? Torpor, I mean." The questions is blunt, direct. No beating around the bush with Cross. Even if he should.

9. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    R
    Robert Longstreet

Longstreet snorts at his brother's ironic response. It shows that the Burned Man is not always serious, but also that the other Haunt knows next to nothing at all about his companion. It's a thing to be fixed, preferrably tonight. But first, you know, business.

"Yeah, the Brood could never be found guilty of devising a clever strategy. But there's a lot of them, likely more than us. Which means they can decide to swarm us." But thankfully didn't, yet. Maybe it didn't get through their thick skulls?

"Ingredients? Yes, I remember when Alice briefed us she spoke something about some ingredients." Or did she? It appeared so distant, like a lifetime ago. "Did they give you names? I'm not asking because I could know anything about these things, just to keep my eyes open. Were you able to run this past Tomori?" He vaguely remembers that the Shadow didn't show up at Joe's Repairs, but maybe he resurfaced? "Sell the book? I wonder who might be interested in buying?" The list was, in fact, pretty long, as Longstreet saw it, from rich occultism-dabbling kids to superstitious criminals to art collectors. "Or what's on the Alchemist's shopping list once he receives payment."

He nods, in a show of respect, as Cross mentions Cynthia's promises and deeds. If she's such a resourceful individual, she'd make a perfect convert to the Dark Faith. The chuckle that comes later is reciprocated and followed by the words: "Right, I think it's enough on our plate for now." Although he was strangely certain that when this business is over, something new and even stranger will arise. He Follows Cross out of the catacombs with a feeling of gratitude, and once they're out, he forces the lungs to work and take a deep breath. The starry night looks beautiful to the newly-resurrected Haunt.

The question is direct, unexpected. Not that it makes a difference. He's not much of a poet and couldn't come up with a good description if he had all the time in the world. "I hear it's different for every one of us. Colored by experiences and why we slipped in the first place. So, well, in my case it felt like being torn apart. Then pieced back together. All on a loop. In other words: it felt like shit." Even now, the unpleasant experience lingers, and Longstreet would rather talk about anything else. And Cross' past is the first topic that comes to mind.

"So, what's the story behind these scars, anyway? You were a firefighter or something?" They definitely predated the Embrace, the question was - by years or seconds?

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

"Most likely," he replies. There's little doubt in Cross's mind that the Brood have superior numbers. But numbers mean very little without proper direction, coordination, and discipline. Three things those assholes decidedly lack. "We'll just have to be ready for them when they come." Cross can't help but look forward to it. The rage and strain of his Beast burns, longing for Blood, in his chest.

"There is one more thing, however, that may prove an advantage for us. We know at least one of their leaders: a Haunt named Dirge. Former member of the domain. The Reeve is working with the Royal Archon, Twist, to arrange a little...play date." A brutal smile makes a horror show of the Burned Man's scarred features. "Hopefully, we're all invited." Perhaps Longstreet already knew this. Cross can't remember. But it's worth repeating. "That would mean one more piece off the board for them." And a powerful one at that.

He nods: "Ingredients. Weird shit: 'The Eye of Thoth. The Breath of Life or Death. The Aspect of the Ibis. The Unadulterated Vitriol. The Light From a Dead Star,'" he recites the list from memory. Looking slightly annoyed at the nonsense he's speaking. "All of it's supposed to make something called 'the Water of Life' or 'the Aqua Vitae.'" He shrugs. "Like I said: bullshit."

Cross lets the topic of torpor drop, figuring his Brother is in no mood to discuss it at the moment. Can't blame him for trying. The next question, though, comes as a surprise. You'd think he'd be used to answering it. But, when you're part of their Family, people tend to assume any disfigurement to be the result of their 'Curse.' Which, in this instance, is only partially correct.

"Not a firefighter. Cop. Detective, actually. But I'd left the force by the time I got these." There's a moment of silence, the sound of their steps splashing through the catacombs echoes in the Burned Man's ears. "I was still alive. Ghouled up by my sire. Working security for him. We went to a meet. Some Lordly fucker. LA big wig, or thought he was anyway." Another pause. It's been a while since he's told this story. "So, Vic's in the Ventrue's limo. And I'm behind them in my car. Keeping watch. And the next thing I know, both vehicles are on fire and I can't get out. Turns out Vic could, though." Sick Vic had been one strong motherfucker. "I must've passed out. When I woke up, I was Damned. But these," he gestures toward his face with an equally scarred hand, "never went away." It'd taken him a year to fully accept that.

"And the smell didn't either."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread