Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
Character Limits

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I've been pondering the way Changeling and Werewolf are drifting and its made me think about other things. Back when we settled on the character limits (both in venue and total) we had multiple STs and plots were the main focus.

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on lifting these restrictions (except for Vampire which remains YYC's sole discretion) -- multiple toons, no total toon cap, maybe opening Mortal/Hunter the same way. Since things are player-to-player, slow posting would be self-policed by one another in who you wanted to scene with, etc.

I'd definitely like to hear thoughts; for, and against.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

2. Likes Origins, Yumyumcrow, liked this post
    S
    Selena

I think with the smaller venues, the only con right now is the limitation you would have with socializing and not running into your own character. Additionally, even 'talk' about your other toon from other Characters could be difficult.

That's about the only con I can think of right now.

0 Scenes

I'd like to maybe bring back Ursula or maybe think up a plain Mortal, or maybe another Hunter, but I'm worried about a character-a-poolooza, and burn out. And, yes, Selena's point - trying to avoid your other character, but then again, if a lot of new character show up, then there's all the new characters and the current one to talk to, so that would make avoiding your other toon easier.

I'm definitely for allowing for one character in each open venue, and tentatively for allowing multiple toons in the same venue.

5. Likes Origins, Yumyumcrow, Forn Clakes liked this post
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

OK. I've waited...

So now I have to post. :P

I don't mind relaxing the total character limits. Nor do I mind bring back Hunter. I think numbers are low enough now for a player to accommodate 4-5 characters simply because have low numbers in venue's limits the total number of scenes possible at one time. Going on recent history most venues have 1-2 main social scenes, a few one-on-one scenes and (maybe) a plot or two. Given that baseline I don't think burnout is such a worry as it was before.

Not sure where I sit on multiple toons in a venue. Yes, I'd like to mess around with Artemis (Changeling). That said (and this is me as Vampire ST here) smaller venues do mean that the onus is more heavily on player interaction. And that means that we have to discuss what happens when toons from the same player "interact".

Its a taboo for a reason and can get really clunky besides when a scene of three toons (and two toons are from one player) happens. When I started here (many, many, moons ago) the Werewolf venue was a lot like that and once you figured out who was behind which mask, it started to get a little... odd. Fun, yes, but definitely odd (I think it worked because the packs put up artificial barriers stopping multiple toons from actually meeting) - but the other venues don't (and probably can't) do that. Mage, Vampire (especially) and to a lesser extent Changeling actually require characters to turn up to regular meetings where they will have to interact. And then there is the question of what happens when one toon has Authority and has to be seen to enact that authority over the "other" toon (I'm thinking Vampire here).

Those are my only issues. Its a tough question. I don't have a definitive answer. So: I'm open to Hunter (maybe other venues?). I'm open to removing the character limits but retaining a one toon per venue cap. Keen to read what other people think.

7. Likes Origins, Forn Clakes, Orianna, West, Sirith liked this post

Hunter is always a fun setting, mostly 'cause the PCs are making it up as they go. I too favor the open venue multi-toon option. I honestly had no idea how I was going to handle a chance meeting between Morgan and Circe when I had both of them. I have seen people running two characters in a game before but usually it was a cohort, companion, follower, or minion of some kind to their main character. That was not always the case and things could get interesting when the PCs had disagreements.

But YYC is right, werewolf has mechanics of packs to minimize talking to yourself scenes while the other open venues do NOT. Hunter could have it, what with Cells being secretive and wary of trusting outsiders, but the rest heavily promote PC interactions.

Venue cap makes more sense then universal caps. City shards have minimal chances of cross venue instances of talking to yourself. Like SabetSloth I also favor Hunter. I see a way to have Circe do a player run City Shard with mortals: magical gun runner sells big guns out of a little box to Hunters.

+ Reply to Thread