(Street)
    Kid

Cahalith
    Hunter in Darkness

+1
    DV
    PRE

Geography is destiny.

Some dead guy said that. Napoleon maybe.

And Kid's seen enough of the country to believe it.

Take Sacramento, sprouting up just where the American and Sacramento Rivers meet. It's like that confluence called out through time for the city. And in response, the city did rise.

Yes indeed, the Cahalith thinks as he watches the boats come and go from the small dock in Discovery Park. This spit of land is situated just between the American river and the Sacramento river, at that point where two streams carved out a place habitable enough for humans to set down and make something of themselves and the land around them.

Of course, being one of the People, Kid understands that geography is destiny for reasons beyond coincidence or simple human need. There are other forces at work, unseen. Other things that cajole, demand, and coerce, that bend the works of man to their desires.

He's thinking about this as he lounges under the shade of a big tree, wearing an oversized white t-shirt, some battered work boots, and a pair of jeans running toward thread-bare. He's got a camo baseball cap on his head and, discreetly, a can of Miller High Life in his hand. Beside him on the grass is a bike and a backpack.

To anyone else in the park, he's just another homeless guy or day laborer, maybe a particularly crusty hipster, escaping the heat of this summer day. But he's not, he's something else altogether. And even now, at rest, he's on the lookout for others of his kind. Unwilling to give up the hunt for his People.
    Meninna | Cahalith
    WP: Essence: Primal Urge: ●●

P
    Penny Long

Penny wasn't sure how many people called Sacramento home, but she'd been trying sniff out some of her own kind for a few nights now. During the day, she'd been looking for work, which was a helluva lot easier than her first task. Most parks had scents but none that the Elodoth would recognise as People.

So, it was on this beautiful day when Penny parked her pickup in one of the parking lots that is near to Discovery Park and she gets out, dark welding goggles perched high on her wild, vibrant flame-orange hair. Wearing a pair of metallic-colour shorts and purple crop-top, the Iron Master may have looked out of place but she felt comfortable nonetheless. Steampunk was a real thing and Penny had quickly accepted it after joining her Tribe. The sand-coloured work boots gave away her real occupation, along with the tiny burn scars dotting her bronzed forearms.

Locking her truck, Penny started to stroll and enjoying the heat, enjoying the surroundings. Steel and trees, just as they promised. It was amazing! And then the scent, it caught her nose and hooked her in. Following the scent, heart racing slightly, wondering if it could be true, Penny finally locked onto the owner of the distinct fragrance.

He looked like a hipster, although one who could have done with a wash. Still, who was she to judge?

Oh, right. Half-moon.

"Hey!", she said with some enthusiasm, calling out as she got about 10 feet away, not exactly wanting to startle him as she stopped and placed her hands on her hips in a relaxed stance. "How's it going?"

Presence
    (Affable)
    Distinctive Voice
    (Pleasant Drawl)
    Eidetic Memory
    Trained Observer
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Kid

Cahalith
    Hunter in Darkness

+1
    DV
    PRE

The scent hits him before the greeting. Quickly, he sets the beer down, head on a swivel.

It's then that Kid spots the steam-punk with the bright orange hair. Almost does a double take. Almost.

Takes all kinds, the Cahalith reminds himself. And, honestly, he's seen weirder among the People. And besides, she's pretty. A wide smile spreads across his face, goofy but endearing.

At her words, he scrambles to his feet, taking his hat off and scratching his mop of wild (slightly greasy) brown hair.

"Well ho-ly shit! You know, I've been looking all over for you!" He calls back, his voice touched by a friendly, southern drawl. His relaxed demeanor matches her own. Waving his fellow Wolf over now: "Get yourself over here, have a drink," he nods toward the beer still sitting upright on the ground. He'll save the proper introductions for when they're a little closer.
    Meninna | Cahalith

4. Likes , Yumyumcrow, Forn Clakes liked this post
    P
    Penny Long

The grin that slowly spread across Penny's face was totally genuine, 100% authentic and without a shadow of doubt, relieve-heavy. The fact he seemed good-natured and friendly, Penny lowered her guard slightly, moving over to join him under the shadow of the tree, leaning against it, her thumbs hanging in the pockets of her shorts.

"I know what you mean, I've only been in town a few days but I hadn't seen any sight or sound of, well, you know, right?" Penny replied, glancing over her shoulder, conspiratorially. "Name's Penny," she says, openly, offering Kid an open (Hishu) hand. "Fresh in from Phoenix. How about yourself? You've got one helluva accent, I love it!"

Presence
    (Affable)
    Distinctive Voice
    (Pleasant Drawl)
    Eidetic Memory
    Trained Observer
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Kid

Cahalith
    Hunter in Darkness

+1
    DV
    PRE

"Yeah--tell me about. Been here just a bit longer. And nothing. You're the first I've seen," he puts the hat back on his head, still taking her in. The scent of another one of the People is comforting indeed.

"Penny, huh?" He takes her hand, giving it a vigorous shake. "I'm Kid, a pleasure." Releasing her hand, he crouches down, unzipping his backpack to grab another High Life tall boy, reaching for his own, half empty can. "I'd say it's damn lucky to meet you here, Penny," he says as he stands again. Grinning at his own bad joke.

Her comment about his accent seems to tickle the Cahalith: "Yeah, folks seem to like it, I guess. But where I'm from we all sound like this."

"You want?" holding out the unopened beer. "I wouldn't call it cold, but it still tastes good."

A beat: "So, what's your story?"
    Meninna | Cahalith

7. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post
    P
    Penny Long

"I'd love one, thanks, Kid," Penny replied, taking the can without hesitation and opening it, still grinning from the combination of finding another of her kind and also Kid's poor joke. She'd found that one benefit of her Uratha status was a faster metabolism, which helped in more ways than simply beer drinking. Taking a long draught from the can, this was an initiation that she'd seen before being on building sites and construction jobs.

"My story? Where to start!"
    Penny chuckled, adjusting the goggles on her head. She'd gotten used to them now but even so, they still sometimes pinched. "My Daddy and brothers were all in construction so that's what I wanted to be, one of the guys. It wasn't easy, hell no, still I got accepted in an apprenticeship as an ironworker, which was what I dreamed of; ornamental welder to be specific, but you know what it's like in construction. You pick up tricks of different trades from working with other people. I loved it, to a point. Sure, there were some jerks who thought that being female automatically meant being weak." A pause as she let the growl that had been slowly growing die away. "I was raised with four older brothers," she added with a smirk and raised eyebrow. "I knew how to handle morons like that. Anyway, I found that I got on well with the union and could empathise and negotiate for workers benefits, which helped a helluva lot when it came to getting my name and face recognised as a positive rather than negative, know what I mean?"

"Then, it all changed." Penny tailed off, looking at Kid and then glancing around. She was wary, obviously. This was still a fragile time, just the two of them, in unknown territory.

Presence
    (Unimpressed)
    Viola Jones

Rahu
    Hunter in the Darkness
    Purity ●● | Cunning ●

PRE

She hasn't slept since she hit the city lines.

It hadn't been too long yet, but soon, soon she'll get sloppy. She can't afford to get sloppy, especially not with hide of hair of any of the People...

That didn't sit well with the Rahu. Her mind churning with horrific visions of what could be the cause of just why that was.

She'd been at the sight of many a'massacre, and -

There. Finally.

Stilling, she scents the air. Holding a breath and tasting it.

She nods, exhaling. Two, a male and a female.

Her approach in on silent steps.

Slowly, she eases her way to them, who, from the sound of their voices, were just meeting.

"Hey." she throws out there, but fails to find anything else to say. One part not knowing what else to say, in part not wanting to say anything, and the other, knowing that she this might sour. And she'd have to do something.
    Meninna Rahu | Primal Urge ●● | Heath: | Willpower: | Essence:

Presence
    (Affable)
    Distinctive Voice
    (Pleasant Drawl)
    Eidetic Memory
    Trained Observer
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Kid

Cahalith
    Hunter in Darkness

+1
    DV
    PRE

The beer accepted, he drains off his own, letting the can drop beside his backpack.

"A union gal, huh? And a welder? Well shit. That's some interesting stuff, having a trade like that. Good for the character, I imagine. Even if there's assholes to deal with." A lopsided grin. "But then, there's always assholes to deal with, right? What brings you Sacramento way?"

But then, there's another scent wafting in on the breeze. The Cahalith can hardly believe it: Another one? Just like that? It's hard to not feel like something fishy is going on, some sort of ambush.

Still, he's been around enough to know that the best way to feel things out is to keep your cool, play along, until the time is right. So, when Viola calls out her greeting, Kid returns it as affable as ever:

"Hey back! We're just getting to know each other over here. Wanna join? More to drink," he kicks at his bag and the remaining tall boys inside make a metallic clunk. Blue eyes, wide but calculating, glance from Viola to Penny and back again, his expression saying it all: Y'all know each other?
    Meninna | Cahalith

Presence
    (Intense)
    Danger Sense
    Fleet of Foot
    Hector
    Hector's Scenes
    Hector's Stuff

PRE

A figure moves through the crowd. Unnoticed and beneath noticed. Not of the crowd. Or even part of it. The crowd moves around him as though contact or proximity would be an unclean thing. When the individuals in the crowd (always singular, never a group) there is only disgust and fear. It is the brutal callousness of the herd.

They don't want to see him.

They don't want to hear him.

His words don't make sense. He looks scary; this tall and thin man, dressed in rags. He is a personification of the Other; of What Could Be. He might not even be Mental Sound.

See! A mother pulls her child away into a protective embrace (so the man can be ignored completely by her family group). He smiles briefly at the kid as she is pulled away. For a private moment they share something. And then its gone.

For his part, Hector doesn't really notice the crowd either. The herd blend into one. He see and smell them, but he only sees the mass and not the individuals. He feels the pulse of life, but not the constituent individuals. The sun tests his eyes and he wishes it was night so he could gaze up at her perfect face; so he could breath in her light; so he could sing to her again.

He wishes there were more of the People. He wonders if this city is a desert. A blasted waste given over to the herd and the unfettered spirits that prey on them. He muses whence the Pure have gone. Wasn't this place supposed to be overrun?

Rumour and conjecture. Lost in time. He himself is timeless. One link in the Lore he carries. His sacred charge.

And then he scents them.

The People!

Cautiously, he makes his presence known. Suddenly in the present, he walks over and squats at the edges of the group. If they are Forsaken he must talk. If they are Pure, he must run.
    Iron Master <<Farsil Luhal>> Cahalith

Primal Urge: ●●●

P
    Penny Long

"Oh, you know," Penny began to reply to Kid as a waft of a third scent hit her nostrils, making the Elodoth turn. "Stuff."

At first glance, the woman seemed to be eyeing them up, the way she looked almost possessing a predatory aspect to it. Penny had never been one to use intimidation in the past but the strength of this girl's body language told her that she was hard to gain respect from. Penny caught Kid's look and gave a shake of the head accompanied with a shrug. Still, she smiled. If this new arrival was like them and not the Enemy, she'd be as friendly as she could be.

"Hey, I'm Penny. This here's Kid, and we're just chatting stuff over," she added, lifting her beer can in a open gesture for Viola to join them.

And then, there was a fourth. If the girl was unimpressed, this one was more intense in his body language, and it stopped Penny in her tracks. She couldn't help but tense up, wondering if this guy was more foe than friend. Her grip on the can increased slightly as it dented under her fingertips. Not exactly that hard, no, but somethings weren't easy to control.

"Hey, you alright over there?" Penny called out, looking directly at Hector, cocking her head slightly.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread