Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Combat, Stats, etc.

THREADID

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Tracking spells and what-not have always been a little bit of a train-wreck, and I'm mostly to blame for never really standardizing how the info is to be displayed beyond a vague 'in the sig or minisheet'. So I've done a bit of work to rectify that!

I'd like to see combat scene info displayed in Minisheet 4. It's rarely used so it should be available, and I've also done a bit of work to make a preview available.

The preview is the exact same size as the minisheet itself, so it should be fairly What You See Is What You Get. I think filling out the form is pretty self explanatory so let's run through a few things:

1) You can put your info in the public or private area. The ST will see either, and if you want to keep your traits hidden, well, that's why there's a private ST spot

2) Defense, Health, Willpower, and Mana base values are available elsewhere, but the current values need to be displayed. Armor should definitely be displayed.

3) Current total active spells. You have a limit, let's make sure you're not over.

4) Personal spells. Not every spell is attached to your person, but the ones that do affect Contagion. Gotta keep track.

5) Vulgars cast in Scene. Paradox ramps up, so we need to track this, too.

6) Current active spells. This is a bit of a doozy, so again I've tried to standardize notation. This is how I'd like to see them listed:

[Potency/Cloak/Rote] Spell Name (Clarification if Necessary) [Effect if needed]

[] - We need to know Potency in case someone tries to Dispel. If you can use Spell Cloaks, just add a '$' after the Potency. For computer nerds, putting a $ on the end of a share name hides it, so that's the logic there. We also need to know if the spell was a Rote in case anyone tries to Scrutinize it. Just tack an 'R' on the end.

Base spell name - Not the Rote name, just the Spell name. Shortening them is fine, as long as it's clearly identifiable.

() - For whatever reason, if you need to clarify something about the spell, use parenthesis

[] - Lastly, some spells effects are not equal to their Potency -or- have a finite number of 'charges'. This is where this should go.

Examples:

[4$] Supernal Vision
    -- An improvised casting of Supernal Vision, Cloaked

[6R] Exceptional Luck [3]
    -- A rote casting of Exceptional Luck with 3 uses remaining

I know this is a super PITA but if you read through, you can see why each bit of information is necessary. If that information isn't readily accessible, then it means I have to go digging to find the original casting. I've also tried to parse it down to something intuitive, but am totally open to suggestions and discussion.

So, please help me with tracking combat Scene info in Minisheet 4 (That's 'please' as in this is a new rule ) and we won't have to worry about what info is where.

Feel free to ask any questions or whether I need to provide clarification!
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

2. Likes Forn Clakes, Yumyumcrow liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Just a small note. I expect people to check OOC and if a new rule like this gets posted, to be taken into consideration before posting in character. Everyone's had their freebie round of posting, I'll be ignoring / adjusting for spells not recorded properly going forward

Sample to cut/paste so I feel like I've done my fair share to help this process:

Health:[health]0|0|0|5[/health]
    Mana:[stats]mana|1[/stats]
    WP:[stats]willpower|1[/stats]
    Armor 0
    Defense 1

Vulgar +1
    Active Spells: 3/4
    Personal Spells: 3

[3] Spell Name [1]
    [3] Spell Name (Armor 3)
    Last edited by West; May 10th, 2017 at 04:47 PM.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

4. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Aurora
    Seraphina
    Alessandra
    Aurora
    Seraphina
    Alessandra

West

Trying to keep the mini sheet updated correctly, but I have a question. Spells that are Instant, where should they be listed? Which count do they go with...cause we can only maintain a certain number of spells, so I want to make sure I list it correctly and don't screw my counts up Thanks^-^

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Okay, good question. I assume you mean Transitory or Lasting. 'Instant' is the casting Action, Transitory or Lasting would be the Duration.

A Lasting spell has an immediate effect and the spell is 'over' as soon as it takes effect.
    - These spells don't have to be listed as they don't count towards Spell Control or Spell Tolerance.

A Transitory spell is one that lasts for a single Turn or more, often depending on the activation roll. They should be listed, and the Duration noted using the second set of brackets. For example, the spell Faye just cast would be:

[1] Severed Sense (Sight) [1]

Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining

Don't forget to note your Actives, on person, and in scenes vulgars.

7. Likes Yumyumcrow, Orianna liked this post
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

Bumping this.

Also - can people start noting down the spells they cast and their Active Spells in their posts.

Keeping track of spells / contagion is always tough and I know it is bothersome.

It would help me (and anyone else) properly vet the scenes and the spells.

9. Likes Ruach liked this post
+ Reply to Thread