Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Character Concepts (Read 1st Post)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 8 of 21 First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I think a Thyrsus shifter would be a amazing spin on the character. Shying away from violence before Awakening, then Phys-boosting and shifting (claaaaaws) being the most natural manifestation of their magic? Awwww yis.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

2. Likes Kelreth, liked this post

Chris Laurent
    Langdom
    Chris Laurent

Irraka Blood Talon
    Langdon

Good point Saber, hadn't thought of the "but what will they cast?" Ariadne had that issue and Arthur as well. Though I can see this toon using Life a lot. Spirit has its perks of boosting social stuff (love that break from Mind) and opening doors to the Shadow (I think, maybe Gauntlet) giving better ways to get into people's houses. At Spirit 4/5 that is, its a lonngggggg cast at 3. Honestly a huge dump of Exp for little gain compared to the stupid of higher Life dots.

Thyrsus would be a fun contradiction true, Dichotomy is a great word. Throw in maybe Time? Not sure for the 3rd. I'm gonna think at work and see what pops into my mind.

West I love that idea. Need to look into that.

Claws is easy enough, hello starting Rotes. Look the other way Guardians things need to get done.

Still no idea on 3rd arcana.

On the plus side my days are long but work doesn't make me hate myself or leave me drained so I guess it's time to get this guy moving forward. Time to find his char sheet I built...somewhere...

I'm thinking Life 3, Time 2, Spirit 1. Life for the primal "Clawz" Time for the "o wait...na, CLAWZ"

Merit wise I can't think of a good reason not to go straight to Gnosis 3. Sure there'll be a rote for Clawz. It'd be an interesting experiment but I'm not sure I want to potentially sink myself..what 24 exp? Just to try something out.

Last dot will probably go to Resources or maybe Status

Rotes are Claws (pretty sure that spell is Mage Core), Probably a Time 2 spell (Perfect Timing?), not sure for last dot
    Last edited by West; May 16th, 2017 at 07:29 PM.

4. Likes liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

lol the one player that still remembers Abyssal!Tug
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

6. Likes Kelreth liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Drop your ideas (ideas, not 3000 word short stories) here. Additionally, use this as a thread for inspiration.

I'll kick off with some photos that made me think about the Mage's Nimbus. So often we see the same things -- a certain smell, or sound, etc. Usually they are environmental effects but they can also be personal effects and I thought I'd share a few that might be fodder for ideas.

The 'splash' or 'smoke'. Emanates from/off the Mage.

Transparency. Reveals the body/blood/muscles/etc below the skin.

Consumed. Like a Blightbent, elements stain or burn away from the Mage.

Evolution. The mage is covered by runes or circuits.

Normalization. Objects fall into regular patters, and/or appear to rotate/surge.

Reflection. Objects become reflective, but the reflections are facets of the Mage herself.

Antigravity. Particulate from the ground rises.

Facets. Flashes illuminate different angles, casting the Mage's features into varying shadows.

8. Bump Xander "Bump" this post
    W
    Woland

So, to start, I've had this idea of a character that I'd like to throw into the Mage venue. A Thyrsus private eye*, who is less of a wilderness survivalist, and more of a "street shaman". A guy who always viewed the city as a complex living organism, but only during his Awakening mystery play discovered that this is literally true. A member of the Mysterium and the Illumined Path Legacy**, he believes that knowledge is too valuable to not share it with those objectively deserving.

Virtue/Vice: Justice/Pride
    Attributes: Physical I, Social II, Mental III

"Oh great, another wiser-than-thou solitaire who only talks with spirits because he thinks people are boring"
    Nope. The guy is naturally curious of anything new (people included), always ready to trade knowledge or artifacts. he is also a proud owner of an inferiority complex due to his lack of formal, extensive academic training, so he'd try to attach himself to a teacher and would actually jump through hoops if promised some honest tutoring.

"So why'd anyone even bother to bring him along for a job?"

Well, he's a decent fighter, has a good eye for details and a fair degree of occult knowledge, especially on spirits. Plus, if there's a locked door between the cabal and that sweet, sweet grimoire, it's gonna be an unlocked door real soon.

*I mean a general job description, I know that actually owning a detective agency would require to buy a Site.
    **Unless it's banned from play due to its feeling of Left-Handiness (with the intentional risking of Paradox and all that)

So yeah, basically an Awakened Lara Croft (I mean, cliche awareness counts for something, right?) I post him here mostly to get an opinion on things to consider/be wary of (if any) and to surmise if I've just created a carbon copy of an existing toon(s).

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Sounds solid but I would want to mention a couple of things.

1. Legacies have been heavily house-ruled:
    http://nwod.org/wiki/index.php/Talk:Legacy

2. Spirits are alien.
    Not in the extra-terrestrial sense, but they are not just hundreds of My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic fairies waiting to be told how they can get you off. Just fair warning if you're used to playing with grab-bag do-anything cost-nothing Spirits in other games. Expect to bargain, to pay, to use actual rules/numen, etc. Expect there to be repercussions if you're abusive.

I know some people translate that as I hate Spirits and will work against you, but some of the older players (like Kelreth ) can probably confirm no one's ever played Spirits with me and come away with that as their final impression.

W
    Woland

1.Fair enough, but just to clarify: does this also nullify the Attainments' prerequisites besides Gnosis, or are just the effects uniformed, and the requirements are not?

2.Again, fair enough. I expected nothing less, since - like Allies, Contacts, Retainers and so forth - spirits are not mindless automatons willing to be used as fuel or favor fountain. I mean, actually doing deals with spirits, managing your "credit card balance" and boarding up windows when the ephemeral creditors come a-knocking is the fun thing about Spirit.

Anyway, good to hear that it's mostly solid. I'll work out some details and submit it soon.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Yep yep, I'll clarify the documentation -- Gnosis is the only prereq.

Chris Laurent
    Langdom
    Chris Laurent

Irraka Blood Talon
    Langdon

Fully expect spirits to be as weird and alien and Machiavellian and just Off.

Then turn that up to 11, cause really, does a Happiness spirit know the difference between making a child happy and driving a child to steal all the candy they can find to be happy? Not really. And that's a Happiness spirit.

14. Likes Yumyumcrow, West liked this post

Twist

Hound, Lady Viscount, Invictus
    Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks •• (Alluring)
    Public Identity (Myah Torsione)
    Sand

Striking Looks •• (Curvy)

Hello!

So... I've been toying pretty heavily with the idea of trying out a new venue to play in besides my comfortable Vampire and Mage won the draw.

I've never ever ever played Mage before and am currently working to read and understand the genre and mechanics of everything. Thus, I would like the help of experts in making sure my character concept is solid before I attempt the big jump in.

And so I present:

Isabel Klass "Sand"

Traits: Mental>Physical>Social

History:

Born to beach enthusiasts in Florida. She spent most of her days split between school and the beach. Life in the sun was as easy for her to understand as ABC. And understanding her ABC's was almost an understatement. With fluid ease, Isabel sped through her studies, takng heavy advantage of the local relationship of public high schools with local colleges to inhale knowledge.

After her early graduation, she accepted a place at California Institute of Technology, waved goodbye to her parents and was off to see what "higher education" had to offer. And it was great. Lovely.

It just ... wasn't perfect.

The people were everything she could hope for. Smart enough to challenge, dumb enough to share the booze, sex and drugs. And the beach was still just a hop skip and a jump away, it wasn't like she had gone to Nebraska afterall.

It was the schoolwork, no... the science itself, that bothered her she came to realize on her flight home for one summer break. She passed the quizzes and tests with practiced ease, memorized the theorems and equations, read the research papers. But there was always those asterisked paragraphs about the exceptions to the rule. The singularities, the divide by zero black holes of infinite unknowing.

They bothered her and she couldn't shake her nagging frustration with them. Why did they exist? What was their purpose? Why couldn't the scientists of the world figure even one of them out?

And that was the summer she Awakened.

And it All. Made. Sense.

Singularities? Fuckups in the lie. Divide by zero? Math devised by Sleepers was bound to be error prone.

Not that these realizations came immediately, let alone to her directly by the power of the divine. No, Isabel went through all the usual steps of becoming a Mage. Awakening, finding a teacher, splitting with family and friends, new name, etc.

And so it was that Isabel Klass became Sand.

Path: Obrimos
    Rationale: Sand has an unwavering faith that there is an original source code of the universe that does make sense, that is free of exceptions to the rule and controls everything. None of this "only in the case of ____" bullshit. She may be a mage who can rewrite this source code, but the source code is always there. She knows it. She believes it.

Order: Mysterium
    Rationale: She may know the source code exists, but she hasn't fully read it yet. No one has. And that doesn't sit right. How else can they ever expect to succeed in finally breaking fully free of the Lie if they can't even understand what is a Lie versus what is the Truth? Like her Teacher before her, she has joined the Mysterium to tackle that very problem.

Page 8 of 21 First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread