"Erik says thank you." A closed, new, leather wallet is placed gently in front of the man's elbow. "Listen I was just doing my job stop " The man had shifted and realized he wasn't talking to a familiar face. Around the pair the bar buzzes with the sound of conversations. Taking the pause as a queue Thrope sits on the open stool next to the man.

"I know, he said you'd say that. Doesn't matter. You saved someone They care about." Thrope sips his rye whiskey on the rocks enjoying the burn and his first good drink in Sacramento. That train ride sucked.

"That doesn't mean I wanted a damned bribe" Leaning in the man whispers close to Thrope. Eyes glare at the Thyrsus. Below the eyes a t-shirt emblazoned with the Sacramento Fire Department logo hints at what happened. "I moved to get away after that fire. It had intent written all over it but nothing happened."

Thrope takes another slow sip as the firefighter glares. "Listen, I'm not part of that anymore. This was the last thing asked of me." A nod towards the wallet. "And no, no idea what it is." Glass and lacquered wood meet with a quiet clack.

"Fine, whatever, I'm not going to owe you anything." A pen appears and scribbles onto a clean napkin. "That's a place for people like you." Thrope finds a finger pointedly pointed at his face. "Don't fuck up, you have to drop my name to get in."

It reads "Man In Black" along with an address. Thrope picks it up with his drink, maybe that'll make sense later. As Thrope stands the man pockets the wallet. "What's your name?"

Business slips as Thrope frowns. That wasn't a hard question before. "Thrope" The man snorts and goes back to his beer and the game on a screen over the bar. Picking up his duffle bag Thrope leaves his glass on the bar and pockets the napkin, heading out into the beginning of nightfall to find a motel for the night.

Tomorrow, his new life.