Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(Thistles) Gallows Pole

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

A chill wind blew through the hedge, rustling the thistle wreathed boughs and filling the reaches of the Hedge with the eerie sound of frosted air whistling between serrated leaves and vicious thorns. Often, it was joined by the plaintive whines, howls, and screeches of the creatures that dwelled deep within the depths of the Hedge, creating a polyphony that sounded like an overture played by a symphony of the damned.

The desiccated corpse of a hob swung from a stained rope at the cross roads that lead to Thistleston, bits of moldering flesh peeking out from the torn seams of a filthy and rotting jester's uniform. A strange bird plunged a beak like a saber into the empty eye sockets of the poor man, pecking out pieces of brain, it's black wings ruffling and shining in the light, like oil spilled upon water, every time it threw it's head back to swallow the morsels from its grisly meal. A reptilian tail lashed behind it, and a second set of talons clung to the shoulder of the swinging corpse. The hob-bird paid no mind to Alex and Sera as they walked beneath it, though they heard its loud, shrieking cry echoing behind them as they walked onward.

And, when they reached Thistleston, they were greeted by the sight of more corpses twisting in the bitterly cold wind...

They were hung in no particular order or fashion, freshly cut poles rudely thrust into the ground to support their grim banners seemingly at random. Whatever message the hanging bodies were supposed to send was unclear, though with the empty streets, the keening orchestra of the wind and the denizens of the hedge, and the massive, burnt shell of a building sitting in the center of the town made it clear that some foul tragedy had befallen the people that lived here.

Nevertheless, the gate guard still stood at his post, silver mask gleaming faintly as his head shifted to better observe the changelings approaching him. A roughly cut spear of hedgewood was gripped like a walking stick, and his other hand remained poised possessively by a pouch on his belt.

"Ho!" he called as they approached. "Speak friend and state your business, lest otherwise you be on your way."

Orianna Seraphina Swami M and Pippin , if Rhap would like to get in on this. Don't forget to post equipment within the next couple of posts, too.

2. Likes Origins, Yumyumcrow, , West liked this post
    P
    Pippin

Pippin always found walks in the hedge informative, and fun, in a terrifying kind of way. After the warning Mihari had given him about the thorn’s he was surprised to find a note left on his door when he got in form wandering around. Wrapping his leather jacket around him closely as the supernatural chill blew though the hedge, his plasma skin shifting and fading a little back to the gentle yellow glow in response to the chill.

Coming to the to the crossroads he stopped and adjusted his survival knife in its sheath on his leg, and the few throwing knives he had picked up from the sporting goods store before heading into the hedge. Was it left or right at the crossroad? I’m going to assume the corpse is new.

Seeing the row of corpses he slowed his pace thinking he could see Alex and Sera in the distance, not wanting to startle them or the border guard he approached slowly with his hands raised in a gesture of innocence. “Hail and well met friend, my business is the same as theirs” he gestures with his head at Sera and Alex “Though if I might say it seems some misfortune has befallen you, your caution is well understood” He gave his most well-rehearsed and friendly smile to the hob.

Equipment

Seraphina
    Presence
    (Magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (Enthralling)
    Distinctive Voice
    (Angelic)
    New Identity
    (Sarah Jones)
    Mantle (Spring)
    (In Mini Sheet)
    Seraphina

Mien

Softly shimmering gold flakes catch the light whenever she moves, delicate gilded and diamond scales extenuate the luminescent sapphires that are her eyes. The ocean lives in Sera's eyes, perfectly cut sapphires, gleam in the light. Deeper shades always shifting like the tide. The scales trail up to her temples and forehead. Her hair reaches down her back, brushing the back of her calves, spun silver and gold. Perfectly placed streaks of sea green are seen throughout her hair. Very fine diamond dust falls loose from her hair when she moves, reflecting rainbows from the light. The scales on her hands are dulled by the simple fact that her hands are translucent. There was an iridescent scale like skin that pulled delicately up from her ears. The membrane shimmered and created three curly points.
    Seraphina

Fairest

Nix/Treasured
    Mantle

Cherry blossoms gilded in gold bloom from her hair, tumbling down as a warm rejuvenating spring breeze gently kisses the air with the scent of freshly cut grass. The sound of birds singing can be heard as the wildflowers grow and bloom in vibrant colors where she walks, swaying and lively in the breeze.
    Sera's hands and lower legs are translucent while the rest of her has cracks
    Seraphina

Mask
    A fairly tall woman, roughly 5'11 with long, wavy dark brown hair. Her eyes are an intense, deep bright blue, reminding one of sapphires. Her lips are full and her skin is flawless. With that perfection comes a body that men fawn and drool over, and women envy.

Health Tracker

Haunted House
    Items

Hedgespun Items

Tear dropped shaped pendant, form fitted waterfall jacket

Misc.

-3 to any rolls involving Presence

Jewelry

Ring on right ring finger...the gold band matches her gilded golden skin, the blue sapphire matches her eyes and the diamonds her scales
    Seraphina Scenes
      -1 Glamour into Wyrdstone
      Dreaming, -1 WP to analyze, WP to hold Dream together, Dreamscape
      -1 Glamour for Dream Time, -1 WP, WP to Scour Glam to rebuild
     Harden Mask, Forgot to include in orig post, 

+2
    SL
    +2
    DV
    PRE

Treasured Nix

The corpses were unsettling to say the least.

What the hell went down here?! Her pace slowed as she nervously peered at the bodies out of the corner of her eyes.

But the state of the town was just as unsettling. The empty streets, the burnt shell of a building screamed trouble. Though if that trouble was for them, well, that remained to be seen. Did the Dragons goons attack the town? If so, for what reason?

Stopping in front of the guard, she was about to speak, when Pippin appeared. She wouldn’t turn away someone else to join this little party. Nodding her greeting.

Her hand was raised as well in greeting to the guard, hoping she would appear as a non-threat. Though, depending on what went down here, that might be a possibility.

“Hail, we have come from the Freehold of Sacramento and have come to check on the town as well as some associates.” Speaks the Nix with a friendly smile. “We mean no harm or ill will. May we ask what happened?”
    Treasured/Nix Wyrd●●●●

Alex Rivers

Alex tries to remember if he's seen this guard before...

"You haven't met my friends, but you may remember me. Some of us from Sacramento helped you deal with a serious problem not long ago."

Although from the look of things, their problems are far from over.

Equipment

"Aye, I would be glad were it you who I remembered," the Masked Hob replied, his free hand loosening the pouch upon his belt. From within it he withdrew... a handful of iron nails, a custom Alex remembered having seen before.

"Now, answer me my question, all three of you, and then I shall let you pass. And if it be tales you be yearning for, then visit the Mistress of Ink inside. Your curiosity is not my cause, nor is it my concern, even if ye have proven to be friend in the past."

And then, so saying, the Hob threw the handful of nails upon the ground in front of the Lost and issued his challenge.

"Pick up the nail and answer me this: The more you take, the more you leave behind. What am I?"

7. Likes liked this post
    P
    Pippin

Pippin thought on the riddle posed to them before quickly bending down and retrieving one of the iron nails grinning as he looked at the hob, he was good at riddles and this one wasn't that hard. "You are footsteps my good man. I will have to exchange tales with your Mistress of Ink. I'm sure there are many in a settlement such as yours." And with that he held out his hand, nail resting in his palm for the hob to retrieve.

Seraphina Orianna Swami M Y'all need to post, or I'll write you out of the thread. Also, note, plot participation affects XP

The masked guard at the gate gave a pleased grunt and nodded before plucking the nail from Pippin's palm.

"You ain't one of Them, so you may enter the town. Head down the westernmost street to find the House of Ink. You shall know it by it's roof and siding."

With that, the masked guard waved Pippin through.

The town itself was a strange rambling affair, befitting of hobs, though the cold wind and the empty streets did much to rob the town of what charm it might have otherwise had. The masked faces peeping out behind curtained windows also did little to make Pippin feel welcome.

Nevertheless, eventually Pippin came to the house that he was looking for. There was no doubt in his mind, for unlike the other buildings constructed from simple, if well crafted wood, this house was built from books. A massive tome was opened to serve as a large A-frame roof, while the walls of the house were built of much more ordinary volumes of every description. Leather bound anthologies, paperback thrillers, hard back children's books, there was no end to the variety of books used to construct the house. Clearly, this was where Pippin could have the story he desired told.

10. Likes liked this post

Alex Rivers

Alex is glad that he let Pippin answer first. His guess would have been 'time.' Instead he picks up a nail and answers "footsteps." He thanks the guard and follows Pippin to the book house. He remembers it from his last visit. He'd wanted to come back at a quieter time and explore it, but quiet times in Thistleton appear to be in short supply...

12. Bump "Bump" this post
    Seraphina
    Presence
    (Magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (Enthralling)
    Distinctive Voice
    (Angelic)
    New Identity
    (Sarah Jones)
    Mantle (Spring)
    (In Mini Sheet)
    Seraphina

Mien

Softly shimmering gold flakes catch the light whenever she moves, delicate gilded and diamond scales extenuate the luminescent sapphires that are her eyes. The ocean lives in Sera's eyes, perfectly cut sapphires, gleam in the light. Deeper shades always shifting like the tide. The scales trail up to her temples and forehead. Her hair reaches down her back, brushing the back of her calves, spun silver and gold. Perfectly placed streaks of sea green are seen throughout her hair. Very fine diamond dust falls loose from her hair when she moves, reflecting rainbows from the light. The scales on her hands are dulled by the simple fact that her hands are translucent. There was an iridescent scale like skin that pulled delicately up from her ears. The membrane shimmered and created three curly points.
    Seraphina

Fairest

Nix/Treasured
    Mantle

Cherry blossoms gilded in gold bloom from her hair, tumbling down as a warm rejuvenating spring breeze gently kisses the air with the scent of freshly cut grass. The sound of birds singing can be heard as the wildflowers grow and bloom in vibrant colors where she walks, swaying and lively in the breeze.
    Sera's hands and lower legs are translucent while the rest of her has cracks
    Seraphina

Mask
    A fairly tall woman, roughly 5'11 with long, wavy dark brown hair. Her eyes are an intense, deep bright blue, reminding one of sapphires. Her lips are full and her skin is flawless. With that perfection comes a body that men fawn and drool over, and women envy.

Health Tracker

Haunted House
    Items

Hedgespun Items

Tear dropped shaped pendant, form fitted waterfall jacket

Misc.

-3 to any rolls involving Presence

Jewelry

Ring on right ring finger...the gold band matches her gilded golden skin, the blue sapphire matches her eyes and the diamonds her scales
    Seraphina Scenes
      -1 Glamour into Wyrdstone
      Dreaming, -1 WP to analyze, WP to hold Dream together, Dreamscape
      -1 Glamour for Dream Time, -1 WP, WP to Scour Glam to rebuild
     Harden Mask, Forgot to include in orig post, 

+2
    SL
    +2
    DV
    PRE

Treasured Nix

She watches the nails fall to the ground, the riddle circling around her mind. Which weren't really her strong suit, and a few ideas came to mind. But only one stood out, and thankfully, it was the one the guys had given.

Kneeling down, she picks up one of the nails, turning it over in her hand before answering, "Footsteps." answers the Nix, holding out the nail for the guard.

She then follows closely behind the guys, eyes moving around the town as they walked. Wondering what it looked like before whatever happened had happened.
    Treasured/Nix Wyrd●●●●

P
    Pippin

Pippin shivered a little at the bitter wind, it was only ever in the Hedge where he felt the cold. Walking though the town, trying to ignore the hostile looks though the window coming to a stop in front of this temple to knowledge. He stopped with a start realizing something. Of all the places I have been if there is any record of how to find Catharine then it would be here. But things in Fairie are never free and the hedge is close enough for the rule to still apply. I probably will only get one story told here, I have to pick wisely, I can’t leave the rest of them to roast to a Dragon to find my own answers. I just have to trust that I’ll get a chance to get back here, and something worth enough to batter for my story.

He took a deep breath of the bitter wind before turning back to his companions. “I’d say this is the place to get the story we want told. What do you say we go in and talk to this Mistress of Ink?” He gave them a small smile. His decision made, for better or worse.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread