Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Freehold Location

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

Hello everyone!

I was talking with YYC in chat and he had a cool idea about copying the format of the Miami and New York (per the wiki) Freehold and making the Sacramento Freehold a Territorial Freehold instead of a transitional one. The reasoning being that we're short on people, and might not have a Monarch for every season :?

So then I had an idea! What if the we did go to a territorial system for the Seasonal Courts, but instead of territory within the city, it was territory within a building...a building like the Four Seasons!

Imagine it: a literal fortress for the changelings of sacramento, a bastion of safety amidst an entire cityscape of uncertainty and lurking danger, with the Blue Note and Edna's as outposts. With only 7 changelings, a building the size of a hotel would be more than enough to not only house them, but to also serve as the boundaries of the freehold's protection, even with territorial divisions.

Now, narratively, this would also allow us to do some very cool things! Like setting a lot of plots up around the Hotel! Or like emphasizing the hostile nature of the world, and adding a dichotomy of the relative safety of the Hotel (fortress) compared to the unknown city (wilderness).

Just something to think about!

So let me know your thoughts! Feel free to write in a poll option, or to post below!

2. Likes liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

It's an interesting idea!

I'm going to ramble...

IIRC the territorial model was used in LoS to keep one Court from holding power too long (if they were forcibly unwilling it pass it on).

Courts get a little dodgy in that the fluff is pretty vague on what Courts do. The book begins by saying they're social structures, but later details that they might just simply be powers used to resist the Fae (CtL p.45).

So the real question is, what are Great Courts, really? Doing some reading/diving, Courts might be nothing more than a 'compact' -- a collection of Contracts that are unified and powerful enough to manifest in the form of Mantles and Crowns. We also know that any natural and immutable earthly phenomenon can be be harnessed into a compact.

...but it doesn't have to be cyclical. The Directional Courts prove this, and suggest that Contracts that form a compact need only have a degree of opposition to them to foil unyielding Fae.

And so circling back to the beginning, maybe the 'changing of the guard'/passing the crown is the social element to reinforce the compacts nature -- that stagnation invites Fae. We also know from the Gloaming Courts that were originally cited as dawn, noon, dusk, and night that compacts can be further compressed into just two Contracts, with the assumption that the fewer the Contracts in a compact, the more opposed they must be.

I think the idea works, if you look at Courts as both a contractual compact and social structure, but not necessarily dependent upon one another. Territories could even riff on other Great Courts by segregation on direction, times they're used, or even something like elevation.

I love the idea of a territorial establishment being a microcosm of a Freehold/city. You could even have 'wilderness' inside the building in the form of 'Do Not Enter' rooms that were actually Gates.

~ oh the ideas ~
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

4. Likes Cayce, liked this post
    S
    Selena

I haven't really thought much on this yet, but I will ponder these ideas.

However, the Blue Note won't just 'go away' lol L'aire owns it.

0 Scenes

With Edna's and the Blue Note (maybe even fronts for Spring and Summer too) being outposts or even rally points, that new arrivals would know about - or that anyone who'd know that there was a Freehold of Sacramento would know about, so that the fortress would be kept secret and safe...

I can see some awesome things coming out of something like this, while reinforcing the paranoid nature that (I think) should thread through a Changeling narrative.

7. Likes Yumyumcrow, Cayce liked this post

Circe
    Circe
    Circe Scenes

Rage singing, no work with Ozzy, Shake the shanty

Morgan's odd trait of being a parkour adrenaline junkie however means that she is totally in favor of "the city is my playground." Because it really is. Which makes her status as a Paladin much better now: she is patrolling the wilds!

9. Likes Cayce, liked this post

So we've had a pretty good poll so far! Interesting results, too.

I've got to say, so far I am in favor of making the Four Seasons the central focus of the game, with Edna's and the Blue Note acting as outposts, if you will, with the rest of the city as a sort of wilderness. Because nothing says we can't still have fun out in the city with stories, or with Shards, but I think that with our population size we'd be better served by narrowing our scope. Think of it like this: with less background, our characters will become that much more important!

Any thoughts?

Please share them now before any decision is made

11. Likes , West liked this post
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

I can go with that.

When it operated, the Four Seasons was the focal point of the Freehold. We didn't have other Sites then so much but we can certainly continue to use The Blue Note and Edna's as outposts. The Blue Note is player owned; not sure if Edna's is the same.

With less than 10 characters in play, it makes sense to "shrink" the venue. After watching American Horror Story: Hotel I'm pretty sure we can get good mileage from the hotel as Freehold focus.

It doesn't mean that we can't do "city" based stories - but they will be just that, stories.

NOTE: If the Four Season's does become the focus of the Freehold, will the danger / threat of Fairweather be downgraded. Just asking for curiosity's sake. I rather like having a Big Bad Fae lurking in the Hedge - so many possibilities...

13. Likes liked this post

Fairweather is marked for the pile of slain NPCs...

Eventually...

Eventually he will get there.

But, even with Fairweather gone, there will still be antagonists, so never worry!

15. Likes Yumyumcrow, liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

okay okay okay

Sooooo deltadream just inspired this idea so credit/blame where it's due --- what about a theme park ?!?!??

You get a self-contained 'world', creepy big animals running around, carousels, wild flower bushes and hedges and and and oh my! And the 'wilderness' could be areas of the park that have fallen into disarray.

You could conscript Funderland or start a new (better) one...

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

17. Likes deltadream, Acheron, , Orianna liked this post
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

Thats just... freaky.

Lol

19. Likes West liked this post
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread