DISPLAYED
Highway To Hell

Page 2 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last

Knot
    Theo
    Occultation
    Knot

Nimbus
    Knot appears, for a moment, as a marionette, roughly carved from wood and painted in a facsimile of life, bound up in a spiderweb tangle of it's own strings, that are pulled every-which way by unseen hands.
    Theo

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks (Roguish Good Looks) 2

The cell's hotel was situated just off of the Interstate, which sets the Trading Post Saloon only a couple blocks north of you. Easy money. The other bars, the El Rialto, the Drafthouse and Borracho's were all clustered downtown - a good 10-12 blocks west and slightly south of your current location.

As the sun sets, it begins to properly feel like autumn, the desert heat being cut like a knife. The small courtyard outside of your shared rooms isn't abandoned, a pizza delivery boy stands a few doors down from you exchanging his good for the occupant's money, a young woman with a long suffering face drags a shrieking eight year old to their room while the child throws a tantrum about not being able to go swimming, while two septuagenarians dressed in matching pink sweaters, with their hair dyed an eye searing hot pink and done up in beehives right out of the 1960s walk hand in hand with their little matching wheeled suitcases trailing behind them.
    no offense but do i look like i understand anything?

2. Likes Cayce, , West liked this post

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Status ••• (Academics) Theology Doctorate

"You'd probably get offered a sandwich instead."

Rory looked after Ursula's departing form, shaking his head. A priest hears a lot of deviations in the confessional booth. He'd even wager he could make anyone in the room blush with what he'd heard. And if the woman was any thinner she could probably find a tapeworm group.

"Marla Singer,"
    he mouthed to Tal, pointing at Ursula's back.

He could feel himself relaxing, the tension of the drive slowly bleeding out. Like caged animals on wheels waiting for the wrong word or joke just to fight out of sheer boredom.

"Yes, yes, we're going out,"
    Rory answered Misty. He took a business card from the hotel and wrote her room number on it. Paused. Then did the same for himself. "Here, give that to the cabbie when you get lost."

When, not if.

The scenery made him smile. The utter, beautiful normalcy. A few whistled bars of 'Little Drummer Boy' escaped as they walked. The four of them? Could only play their drums.

"Hey, Ursula? Why do you do it?"

4. Likes Benji, Cayce, liked this post
    U
    Ursula Cole

"Of course I have my own shaver." Ursula flicks her pastel locks over her should and to give a look at the actress "But if it turns all fugly...then is not my fault." Like duh.

A frown is born "Tal? Tal! Is that true? Or are you punking me?" she comes to a full stop looking at the women. "Is it like the same bull that says that the more I color my hair the worse it gets? Cause my hair is fabulous!" No matter how brittle or course it got.

Her confident stride resumes.

"Oh you poor dear." Ursula's lip pulls out as she mock-pouts. "Not to hear a thing from Brucie." pastel locks are shaken, trailing along in the breeze.

Goose flesh springs into existence upon Urusla's bar arms, but is ignored. If she grabbed a sweater before leaving the motel she'd completely ruin her look.

"It?" Ursula echos into the night. "Like it-it? Sex? 'cause it's fun." she says, her tone screaming 'duh' "Or the stab happy stuff? Cause dad did it and mom did it, and it's the most fun I've ever had. Ever."

Tal
    Tal

Rory's reference only prompted a confused look from Tal, and a small spike of anxiety went through her as she considered, perhaps, that it was the name of someone who had died, and she'd forgotten. Of course...she couldn't think why he'd bring that up so she let it slip from her mind.

It was just as well that she did. She'd never seen (or read) fight club, anyway.

She was too busy worrying about what might happen if her people took the wrong cab ride 'home' after a night of heavy drinking. Why couldn't they have just taken the RV? And it wasn't like the motel was exactly full. If they wanted to spend the night in someone else's bed they could just rent another room...

Thankfully, that line of thought was also swept away when she heard Rory's next question and her ears did their best to perk up for Ursula's answer.

It was...underwhelming, but not maybe that was just because it was something she'd suspected. The girl was insane. But then again, they all were. They'd left sanity behind the moment they'd made the choice not to hide.

Besides, Tal didn't entirely believe Ursula's bluff, psycho girl act. She'd walked in lock step with monsters before. Ursula...didn't remind her of that. And Misty definitely didn't.

Still, it was good to know where her people thought they were coming from, just in case things became...chaotic.

"What I'm curious about," Tal spoke up, "while it's just us and the desert night listening, is what was your first? From the Other Side?"
    Tal, Soldier, Union, Presence 3 (Steady), Status 2 (Concealed Carry)

7. Likes Benji, West, Yumyumcrow, liked this post

Barfly
    Fame 1 (Adult Entertainment Industry)
    Natural Immunity
    Toxin Resistance
    Misty Shore

Misty lagged behind, walking at her own meandering pace. She supplemented this with occasional bursts of speed so she could join up with the main group. In the pooling light of the street, her exposed skin took on a waxy, unhealthy, hue.

"First?" A quizzical look flashed across Misty's face, settling into an exaggerated frown. "As in, like, first time it was all revealed, like? Or first time... You know... Hunting?" She looked around, half expecting someone or something to be following them, listening in. "Because... They are two different things for me."

She paused, more to poke her tongue out at Ursula's back than to wait for Tal's clarification.

"My first first was... Oh yeah! Oooh! Oooh! It was the big kimono dragon thing. Bloodied the trusty bat on that. He he! Carlos organised the hunt for it. It was living in the sewers but, you know, starting to eat homeless people or something. Carlos called it a clean up job. Some other outfit had made a mistake, he said, and released the monster. He thought it was some company. Esme (she is sooo wise. Three marriages, rolling in cash. And they have a library named after her...) said it was radical conservationists. Little Tommy reckoned it was government black ops shit, whatever that is. I only asked if I could use a bat. They said yes. Esme really wanted me to use a gun. I'm like, does it look like I can use a gun? Carlos said it was okay for me to use a bat, so it was okay. We rigged some explosives or something anyway. I just went in to finish it off."

She rolled her shoulders and graced Tal with a contented sigh.

"Big fucking head, man. And... Ooooh! The teeth. Little Tommy took the head back to the club house as a trophy. And we had a party and I was the star! Again! It was awesome! Like, yeah..."
    Fame 1 (Adult Entertainment Industry)| Barfly|
    Natural Immunity| Toxin Resistance|

9. Likes Benji, , West liked this post

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Status ••• (Academics) Theology Doctorate

They'd never found out who had snuck it into the home.

And even in a confessional booth himself, he couldn't guess how many times they'd watched 'Fight Club', but it was a number an order of magnitude smaller than the number of times they'd stared at the Pause-blurred divinity of a naked Helena Bonham-Carter. A soft snicker slipped at the thought of Grant 'Thumbs' Tabor spending the rest of his life explaining his nickname.

Fastest thumbs to pause the movie in the exact right spot.

"Really? Daysha's family was... were... involved as well. Is that common?"
    He listened to Misty, as well as he could, without taking notes and then trying to circle the important words to decipher the message. Was it concerning that fully half of them were adrenaline junkies that liked the specific flavor of monster killing? At least neither of them were Derevko, who just used Hunting as a very long, drawn out suicide. "That's an interesting thought, hey? If you have kids, will you tell them? Prepare them, or let them live in the bliss of ignorance?"

The question was more about the lesser of evils. Living a life in a subculture of human wreckage aware of the shadows, or living a life in blissful ignorance waiting to be a victim.

11. Likes Cayce, Benji, liked this post

Knot
    Theo
    Occultation
    Knot

Nimbus
    Knot appears, for a moment, as a marionette, roughly carved from wood and painted in a facsimile of life, bound up in a spiderweb tangle of it's own strings, that are pulled every-which way by unseen hands.
    Theo

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks (Roguish Good Looks) 2

As the Cell walks down Grand Ave, fully half of the lots are either empty save for weeds and cracked pavement or simply hold buildings empty of inhabitants and purpose. Gas stations, liquor stores and weathered homes decorated for Haloween make up most of the rest, as well as various unidentifiable businesses inhabiting reclaimed gas stations and laundromats. Scattered around are small plots of oddly shaped, excess land too small for buildings that have been made into small parks on the verge of death by dehydration.

The faint hum of streetlights adds to the evening ambience. Much of the city is easing into their time of rest, blissfully unaware of the things hiding in the dark.
    no offense but do i look like i understand anything?

13. Likes Cayce, West, liked this post
    U
    Ursula Cole

Maybe it was the crisp air surrounding them or hmm, but since they started walking to whatever dive they were headed to, (Ursula hasn't really payed attention.) But she was feeling off.

Quick fingers made sort work of the pesky clear air problem. One long drag and pleasant burn later, Ursula was exhaling a cloud of smoke.

A purr, under her breath, "Mmm better."

In a move, probably just to spite her, Tal remains silent on the hair info. The bitch. Instead asking completely irrelevant questions instead.

"Tali-sweetie. I can regale you for hours about my First." Ursula holds a sultry pout to her lips for a moment before she snorts and takes a drag. "My First was the completely expected and completely disappointing fumbles in the dark. Ass came all over my skirt. I liked that skirt. I had to get daddy to hire someone to make me a new one."

Twirling around to face her Cell, the pastel princess walks backwards to keep up their momentum. "But you want to know about the First that actually matters." another drag taken, "I was bait. Wide eyed, unknowing, bait. The local club got wind that this guy was a vamp. I was dating him. Not because he was a vamp or anything. But he had some pull at my school and I needed a way to get my grades up and daddy was getting tired of having to throw money at my mistakes. So I'd thought I'd fix it myself."

Ursula stopped and tried to make smoke rings. She failed.

"But he was so fucking boring. I had to give myself pep talks to get myself to suck him off. That's not right." A look's shared with Misty, because that's a girl who'd understand completely. "Long story short. I ended up as not bait and living, and totally not believing them when they said my boring ass boyfriend was a vampire." another failed attempt at smoke rings, "Well. Until I had proof. Then I got to have a blast taking out my frustrations on him being such a boring loser." dropping her butt to the ground and stepping on it, she leans closer to her Cell. "And here I thought Twilight was the worst thing to ever happen to vampires."

"But yeah. I ashed him. After a while. But the first Hunt-Hunt was a different bag all together. But this. Was the wholesome family friendly version."

"Misty! You lucky bitch! I haven't seen something like that. Shit." Ursula shakes her head, repeating 'shit' once more.

"Daysha?" it was an interesting sounding name. Ursula wondered if it had a face and body to match.

Top Rory's question, "Oh...daddy let me wallow in ignorance for a bit. He wanted to have all the fun. Well...until he got to old for the good stuff."

"So...where the fuck are we headed?"

A fun night drinking and dancing and fucking. Or.

Or maybe seeing what hid in the shadows of this itty-bitty shithole of a town.

Barfly
    Fame 1 (Adult Entertainment Industry)
    Natural Immunity
    Toxin Resistance
    Misty Shore

"Oh it was something!" Misty enthused. "I never seen a vampire before though. Do they go squish like in the movies when you do them in? I gotta ask."

The actress scuttled up to the group again, boots (she wore boots this day) scraping on the cracked concrete.

"Trading Post Saloon or some shit like that. Clubbing after. If there is a club to be had. And if there isn't... well... I guess we could try and grab a few and make a club of the motel <snicker>."

She turned round to face Rory, walking backwards slowly on her wayward limbs.

"Um. Dunno. Do I look like the baby making type?"
    Fame 1 (Adult Entertainment Industry)| Barfly|
    Natural Immunity| Toxin Resistance|

16. Likes Cayce, , West liked this post
    Bump West "Bump" this post

Tal
    Tal

Did Misty look like the baby making type? No.

Did she look like the 'leave a baby on a fire station doorstep?' type?

Well, it would be best not to say...

"I don't think it's really a choice that you can make," Tal offered, her eyes sweeping along the left side of the street, and then the right, lingering on storefronts and what might have been apartments once upon a time...

"I don't think that we can escape our past, or that of our parents. No matter how hard we try, I don't think we can escape the influence of whoever raised us. I mean, I think Ursula just proved she was a good example of that. Even when her parents tried to hide the truth from her, their behavior still left its mark."

She shrugged, then, and fell back a few paces so she brought up the rear. She'd corral Misty forward if she had to. There was no way she was going to suddenly realize she hadn't heard the scuff of the other woman's boots and turn around only to realize she'd disappeared...

"Besides, I think it's also naive to think that the things we go after won't come after us in turn. Even across a continent and an ocean...some of the things from the Other Side can still find you..."
    Tal, Soldier, Union, Presence 3 (Steady), Status 2 (Concealed Carry)

18. Likes West, Yumyumcrow, liked this post
Page 2 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last
Closed Thread