Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(1609) S2 Truce and Campanella

THREADID

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Fair-skinned and thin, Truce does not appear to get out much, choosing instead to pursue more studious endeavors. He appears as a typical college student, wearing button up shirts, slacks, and a sports coat at times. His hair is dark brown and wavy, his eyes hazel.

Spell List

Spiders: EGuard(3P,self)

PRE

Still within earshot of the rest of the gathered Magi, Truce leads Campanella a few steps away, should he wish to follow.

"Of the Mysterium, you say?" Truce remarks curiously. "That is a relief. This Consilium's last Mysterium member departed not long ago after being suspected as a Seer sympathizer. It would gladden me to see that quarter of the Diamond restored here." Truce has more than a few reasons to be biased, but it would be remiss of him to accept the man's request so easily.

"However, as I expect it has been conveyed to you, we are always under constant threat from the Seers and their Masters. So I would ask you of your background in case we wish to fact-check into your previous affiliations. You've taken part in other Consiliums, I gather?"

2. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3/1

[2R] Analyze Artefact (Deep Scrutiny of Artefacts, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [4R] Dark Matter (Matter Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [2R] One Mind, Two Thoughts (Prolonged, 1 scene)

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Personal Spells: 1/3

[4] Aura Perception (Concentration, 1 scene)

[5] Third Eye (Mind Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)

[2R] Unseen Aegis (Armor, 1 scene)

PRE

Campanella moved to follow the Moros Councillor.

"Of course, Councillor. I am Campanella, of the Path of Doom, of the Mysterium. At present I have no strong affiliations, although I do admit to gravitating toward the Archivists. I have been involved with other Consilia before; if you need to check my credentials I would suggest reaching out to the Consilium in D.C. It was where I received my apprenticeship; still very much in a cold war with the Throne in those parts: we are retaking the city, but it is small steps and... piecemeal... at best. The servants of the Lie have their hooks in deep. I was in the city for more than a few years until my mentors considered my training complete. Unfortunately I found the city's cold war mentality not quite to my liking..."

Perhaps not the full truth. He had been burned and forced to rebuild his life and identity elsewhere.

"And so I came west for a fresh start. I heard of the... River City's reputation? Let us say I was intrigued by the sheer tumult of rumours surrounding the area."

He moved to meet the Councillor's gaze. There was no challenge in his stare, it was simply attentive.

"I was unaware that my Order had collapsed in these parts. I am sorry to hear that. One would say it is fortuitous that I have arrived then." He shrugged with his face. "I shall attempt to fill the void as best I can."

A pause.

"Were any Athenaea left unattended that you know of?"
    Campanella|Moros|Mysterium
    Gnosis: 4
    Occult Skill: 3

4. Likes Vassagon liked this post

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Fair-skinned and thin, Truce does not appear to get out much, choosing instead to pursue more studious endeavors. He appears as a typical college student, wearing button up shirts, slacks, and a sports coat at times. His hair is dark brown and wavy, his eyes hazel.

Spell List

PRE

"Mm, yes, Consilia," Truce echoes, acknowledging the correction. "That is disconcerting to know that their influence reaches that far. But not surprising. The Capital of this Sleeping Nation would be a fine prize to puppeteer towards their goal. I am thankful the Consilium there holds strong."

"An Archivist then. I myself am acting Deacon of the Silver Ladder in addition to my Councillor duties. There is a tradition among Théarchs that we assume a role as journeymen and travel abroad to give them broader perspective. I do hope your arrival here will give you that. However, I'm afraid I was not made aware of the existence of an Athenaea within the city. If I find you satisfactory, you are welcome to the Mysterium's wing of the Circle and whatever has been left behind there. Though I expect it shall be picked clean if anything remained at all."

The Mysterium's secrets were prized even by those outside their Order, and with no Mysterium to guard them they would be fair game to anyone who ventured to the southern passages.

"I assume you are a learned man. May I ask what subjects of study interest you most? I have a particular interest in the mundane studies of the mind, particularly psychology. It makes dealing with the warped minds of the dead much easier." Though the question is more of a personal curiosity than probing scrutiny.

Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

A flicker wove its way across Campanella's face: a blink, a twist of the mouth, a slight frown quickly wiped away.

"I would like to say that I am a Renaissance Man but that might be leading toward arrogance. I have been many things in my time and that kind of eclectic background will tend to leave its mark. I am lucky in my current profession for I enjoy art history as well as deal making: I collect; I make connections; I dabble. Naturally now that I have settled I will have much more opportunity to refine my skills and establish myself as an art dealer."

A slight smile.

"As for the esoteric, I profess an interest in the old Art of Alchemy and a fascination for Automata: early robotics employed by the ancients and steeped in the trappings of the occult."

At last a sigh.

"So there is no Mysterium presence, and any Athenaea the city once possessed have been compromised. That is... a tragedy. It cannot be helped. What rises falls. The Athenaeum can be reconstituted with time and effort. It will give me something to aim for once I'm established here."

He paused while his canny eye roved.

"I take it that I am the sole inheritor of my Order's legacy in these parts? You mentioned a... Wing dedicated to the Order? Here?"

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Spell List

PRE

An art dealer and historian? An interesting background, though not unlike an archivist to collect items of value. As far as Alchemy and Automata, Truce assumes the man's experience rests within the Arcanum of Matter.

"Indeed," confirms Truce. "At the south end, just that way." He gestures with a nod. While Truce did not know of the Athenaeum's true fate, he could not deny nor confirm Campanella's suspicions. If some secret of the Mysterium still remained, it would be a pleasant surprise were he to stumble upon it.

Truce paused, remaining silent as he looks the man over. If Seers were active in D.C. then it would be a convenient truth to hide behind. He imagines a Seer taking on the identity of a former member and then fleeing when their cell dissolved. Campanella seems well-spoken and intelligent and perhaps a little proud of that fact. A clever man is useful as well as dangerous. But is he wise?

"I must ask for security reasons. Know that I am not unaccustomed to being lied to. Ghosts often lie both to themselves and others so you must be honest with me. Have you ever worked on behalf of the Seers, have ever been a Seer yourself, or hold any sympathy for the Throne and their Masters?"

It is possible a Seer could have altered their own memories, or simply knew the false word better than himself. He debates opening his eyes to perceive the man's aura. But the Magi were paranoid enough without their Unseen Senses going off around them.

Checking for lies, 3suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-09-07 09:03:38 Truce rolls 6 to check if Campanella is lying [WIT+Emp] (10 Again) 9, 9, 1, 3, 9, 7 3 successes

8. Likes Cerberus liked this post
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

"Are you serious?"

Campanella draws up short, his jaw tightening perceptibly.

"I worked my way up from nothing... Why would I join the ranks of wilful liars and deceivers? I saw a whole universe at my Awakening and the Servants of Lie are content only for the bones of this world-prison. I want more than that! My mentors came from D.C. Where much blood has been spilt - recently. I was trained first for the fight against the Seers by survivors of their bloody massacre... If you require a name to follow up with, try Cordoba, Alchemist on the Path of Doom and member of the Mysterium. She was an apprentice like me who survived the Seer massacre when the D.C. Consilium was overthrown and who managed to re-establish a base for the Order just outside of town. If you have any queries about me, I suggest you start with her."

Campanella breathed heavily through his nose and exhaled slowly.

"No. I am no Seer. Check my auric field if you must to confirm it - I shall not stop you. Now... The south end, perhaps?"

10. Likes Cerberus liked this post

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Spell List

PRE

Truce holds his gaze, unperturbed by the man's tempered outrage. It appears genuine to him. And Campanella is willing to subject himself to tests to prove the matter.

"Why indeed. I sometimes contemplate why anyone would subject themselves to such purpose. I meant no offense, but if you've been trained as you say, then you understand the reason why I ask. I am considering imposing security checks to all new arrivals before their recognition, but for now I'll approve of yours to this Consilium."

Truce looks away, holding back an anxious sigh, wondering if he is still being too trusting. "It would behoove you to search out a Cabal to join while you're here. There are many unattached Magi and many new faces here today, perhaps another Mystagogue among them. I advise that you speak with them to make arrangements. There is safety in numbers after all."

Truce turns away slightly, as if preparing to conclude their conversation. "I meant what I said, that I would be glad to see the Mysterium restored. And I welcome you, Campanella on the Path of Doom, to Sacramento."

Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

"Thank you, Councillor." Campanella gave a wry smile - very briefly before he inclined his head seriously.

"Perhaps you could briefly outline what Cabals support the Consilium in this area? And... Is there a place to read the Charter? Not now, of course; but later when one has the time to give their full attention to such matters?"

He turns slightly as if to follow Truce. His eyes, however, are seeking out the little huddles the other mages have made in their conversations.

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Spell List

PRE

"Mm. Yes, of course. There are only two Cabals of note at the moment. My own, Temoins du Sud, the Southern Witnesses that watch over the south end of the city. And Veiled Threats. I had anticipated a third would have taken root considering recent events and the influx of new arrivals, but I believe that will be absorbed into the others."

"There may yet be enough for a third, if my count is correct. That woman there, speaking with the woman who arrived by portal earlier, it may be that she is unattached as I've never seen her before. And that bearded gentleman in the larger group. They may be in search of a Cabal, either their own or one to be fostered by. Speak with them first and if you cannot come to an agreement seek me out again and Temoins du Sud will consider fostering you."

"As for the Charter, it is freely available at your request. I will procure you a copy before you leave today."

He hesitates a moment. "I should like to introduce you to the others who walk our Path, at a later date. I will notify you of when that might be. Until then, I hope you enjoy your stay, Magus Campanella."

Truce nods his head slightly and quickens his step, breaking away to attend to other business he has.

Truce returns to the main thread

14. Likes Yumyumcrow, West liked this post
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

"Of course, Councillor. That would be most welcome."

Campanella steps back slightly and lets Truce carry on with his business. The Mystogogue's attention is turning elsewhere.

Closed Thread