Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Midnight in the Conservatory

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Lady Reeve Stamford
    Lady Reeve Stamford

Presence ••• (Dominant)
    Striking Looks •••• (Intense Gaze, Stunning)
    BP •••
    Status (Invictus): ••
    Status (Domain): ••••

+2
    SL
    PRE

The reception for Ale is much the same was it was during her last visit to Victoria's estate. She was checked at the gate and waived through. When she pulled up to the Victorian mansion there was the same blank faced servant in the short dress. However, instead of being lead into the house the servant takes Ale around the exterior of the building.

When they rounded the corner of the house there is a garden and a conservatory that comes into view. Wandering about the lawn are several peacocks and peahens that occasionally wondering into or out of the open doors of the midsize glass building. When they enter the structure it is a riot of color and fragrance that assault the senses. Victoria is seen standing on a small wooden bridge looking out over a tiny water feature with some koi. A white peacock is seen wondering down one of the pathways in the conservatory.

"Deputy Antinori,"
    Victoria said with a smile. "Welcome to my private little retreat. I'm glad you were able to make it."

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink, 
      -2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink

+1
    SL
    PRE

She really needed to get a setup like this, she thinks as she parks the Torino. Maybe it could be hers after proving herself to the Invictus and investing her money wisely. Which could mean less guns, and that just isn’t appealing at all.

When she exits the car, she smooths her dress, which was part of the whole making a good impression. It was a simple dress, tan in color with spaghetti straps and had little skulls running under her chest. Her hair was shorter tonight, one of many joys to be immortal. She could cut it as short as she wanted and it would regrow by the time night arrived. Her makeup was also subdued. It wasn't that she felt the need to impress by dressing better, she just wanted to show she was willing to do anything to be a success.

Not heading inside was a change, and she was pleasantly greeted by a beautiful garden and conservatory! Dark eyes quickly sweep around, taking in everything from the peacocks and the amazing colors of the flowers. Now the white peacock, that one was stunning.

Of course it paled in comparison to the stunning beauty that was Victoria.

Stopping once greeted, she bows her head, “Lady Reeve Stamford,” greets the Italian, “This place is magnifico! she gushed. “Thank you for meeting with me.”
    Alessandra Antinori │BP 6│Strong Italian Accent

Lady Reeve Stamford
    Lady Reeve Stamford

Presence ••• (Dominant)
    BP •••

+2
    SL
    PRE

"Thank you," Victoria beamed. "It has been a labor of love, a rather nice distraction from my day to day routine. You have given me the perfect excuse to actually show it off to someone." She finished with a conspiratorial smile.

"Shall we walk as we talk?" she inquired as she gestured to the path nearby.

The beautiful brunette wore a simple frock dress, a stark contrast to the colors and patterns around her.

"The peacocks and peahens are more than eye-candy you know. They make excellent watchdogs to warn of intruders. That is what they were used for by European nobility," she began conversationally. Victoria wasn't sure if the other woman knew that or not, but it was an interesting fact that not many modern people knew. "They are much prettier than most dogs too. That white one though is quite the trouble maker," she finished with a playful grin.

She pointed out a few flowers and features as they walked and there was the soft sound of classical strings drifting through the air on a hidden speaker system that added to the ambiance. Finally she turned to the other woman with an inquiring glance.

"So, did you have any particular questions that I can help you with or are you looking for the dime store explanation?" she asked helpfully.

4. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

She remembered the simply pleasure gardens had when she had been alive, and now it was recaptured. “I’m honored you decided to show it off to me, it truly is a work of art. I stand by my previous statement that you really should show it off more.” It was also a stark difference to her hobby, pinning dead butterflies.

“Sure.” She answers, though her Beast whimpered in her ear, urging her to turn around and leave. The fear it felt went deep, and it wanted to survive, not be close to such a powerful Beast.

Instead of fleeing, Ale focuses on the story behind the peacocks and peahens, which was quite interesting. “I would have never guessed they could serve as watchdogs. And I’m sure any would be thief or worse wouldn’t suspect them either.” She’d never expect it. “The white one is beautiful, perhaps it knows its beauty?” she says playful. It’s true, most of those who knew they were beautiful caused trouble.

“The classical music just adds to the wonderment of this place. I’m afraid to say it just might be heaven on earth.” At least for her, the flowers, the smells, the music, yup…it worked for her.

“I had a few questions. Mostly about what will be expected of me now. I’ve never been a member of any Covenant, so this is new territory for me. So if someone asks my connections, do I mention the Invictus? Or must I pass your sponsorship before such a claim can be made? I really don’t want to screw something up, especially if I could have asked beforehand.” She said with a lopsided smile.

6. Likes liked this post

Lady Reeve Stamford
    Lady Reeve Stamford

Presence ••• (Dominant)
    BP •••

+2
    SL
    PRE

Victoria smile at the woman's praise. It was nice to show off her garden to someone who could appreciate it. She had few close ties during her time in Sacramento, in part because of the rapid turnover, and also because of the positions of authority tend to isolate an individual, so she took moments like these when she could.

"That is most kind of you to say," she said with another smile. "It took some fine tuning, but I think I'm rather pleased with the results so far."

The ventrue struggled with her wasp as it buzzed in her brain demanding that she crush and devour the intruder in her territory. To break her and glut itself on her innards. The internal struggle, the constant reminder that she is little more than a monster wearing the skin of a woman. At times it felt as though her true self would burst out of her flesh like some pupa emerging from its honeycomb cell, and then Victoria would be no more than a discarded husk on the ground, and only a starving, ravenous hunter would remain.

"Of course," Victoria said mentally shaking herself with a smile. "There are a few things you must remember. We are a little more relaxed in Sacramento than in some other places. Out east or in the old world they are more heavily structured. You are essentially a page at this point. You are counted as Invictus due to my sponsorship and your title is Miss. So you would be Miss Deputy Antinori, or Miss Priscus Antinori. A man at your stage would be called Master. You are not calling them your master, but it is an archaic form of address, like Mister is used." Victoria considered some things for a moment and then continued.

"I notified the Judex, the title for the name of the head of the Invictus locally, of our status. Normally there is a petition that we would make to a tribunal that would require approval. Then there is a training period. I essentially take on the role of a sire of sorts to you and train you for a period of time. Your actions reflect on me so I would appreciate some discretion on your part. As long as you do not fuck up," Victoria stressed with a small smile, "too badly then you should be fine. If you pass this initial stage, then you would normally have a manumission, a ceremony to induct you as a full member. Once you reach that point you would be Madame, while a male would be Mister, and officially be a person in your own right. Those are called titles of Esteem and terms like sire, grandsire, aunt, uncle, childe, or sibling are common. Alder is a title of esteem for powerful or elders. Thus the Judex is Alder Judex. Titles of tribute are essentially won or earned through hard work and that includes Lord or Lady, Baron or Baroness, and so on up to Duke or Duchess."

"Your title of Priscus is currently your only official title of function, which are essentially professions of worth to the First Estate, and your previous title of Whip was also one. Reeve would be my official one at the moment and supersedes all other titles of function that I might have until I no longer possess it. So as you see some titles take precedence over others. There are many others, Judex would be one such title as well as Prince. Always avoid the use of my in a form of address. So never say My Lord or Lady. My is a disparaging remark meant to assert one's superior status over another or to be issued as a form of challenge to invoke a hostile or angry response. Neither of which are good for you at the moment."

8. Likes West, Orianna liked this post
    Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

It was good to hear that they were more relaxed here than other cities. She had heard stories while in Italy about them, and they had been what she considered all Invictus. Though Victoria and the Domain as a whole had changed her mind.

“I must confess I had heard many stories about the Invictus from my Sire back in Italy. They weren’t the most flattering stories, and up until now, they had set my judgement. Though you, and the Domain, have changed my opinions.” She shared.

Ah, so she has an Invcitus title of sorts, Miss. While, guess she had to start somewhere, so she’d go with it.

Judex, another title to know and remember. She files it away and listens intently, her hands clasped in front of her.

“I may have stumbled recently, but rest assured, it won’t happen again.” But she knows only her actions will prove that, not her words. Words were pretty and flowered things, actions proved those words true, or false. Oh, a new title after Miss, this was interesting. And Victorias title of Lady was a title of Esteem that she earned.

“I have to say, I find it refreshing that titles are earned and not just given. In my line of work, everything is earned through hard work and dedication, finding that in the Invictus is perfect.” She didn’t like to have things she didn’t earn, it wasn’t her style.

Wait, there were more titles?! Damn, now they had title of function. But the explanation makes sense with her currently being Priscus.

Oh, so the word My is bad. She could understand that, it is a form of possession, and Kindred did not like to be owned. Though she kinda feels owned by Victoria right now, her teachings and words deciding her fate within the Invcitus.

“Makes sense, though I do have a question. With all these titles of Esteem and Function, is there times when one supersedes the other? Would I always refer to you as Lady Reeve, such as at Court and other Domain functions? And if I’m meeting a new Kindred, do I use both titles, Priscus and Deputy, in my introduction?” she can only imagine how terrified she would be talking to someone with more titles.

10. Likes Yumyumcrow, West liked this post

Lady Reeve Stamford
    Lady Reeve Stamford

Presence ••• (Dominant)
    BP •••

+2
    SL
    PRE

Victoria appreciated the fact that the other woman was taking an interest and asking questions of her. The questions she was asking were rather practical ones and how usage would impact her and so were thought out.

"The formula is simple and easy to remember, First comes title of esteem or tribute, next the title of function, then last name. That is for an informal address like in conversation. We use this frequently in the domain. Formal address is more complicated and typically you will see that if someone writes you a letter, sends you an official invitation, and so forth. For example. Miss Priscus Antinori would be an informal address, but appropriate in conversation for what you are likely to encounter here. If I wanted to address you formally or I was writing you an invitation I would put Miss Alessandra Antinori, Priscus of Savages, Deputy of Sacramento. Deputy is not an official profession though, but no one would begrudge using it here," she explained.

"In my case you would always use the title Reeve when using a title to address me, for Reeve would supersede any title I currently have. Some, I will call them jobs instead of professions for ease of use and expedience, some jobs overwrite others. There are not a lot of those titles that are applicable here though as we are lacking much of the official structure. Judex is just like its root suggests a judge or settler of disputes, so he would make final rulings between parties. A Judex is appointed by the Inner Circle which are given the title Councilor, we have no one in the domain with such an official title. The only title that councilor does not overwrite is Prince. Judex overwrites all other job titles until it is given up. The title Minister is our term for Herald and overwrites other titles. If you meet or become a knight they are sworn to answer the call of any Invictus member of good standing, and the title Sir or Dame replaces their Esteem title. So you can Have a Lady Knight, a Madame Knight or address them as Sir or Dame then last name. Some job titles are generally given by the Inner Circle, but our power base is concentrated here." Victoria made a show of taking a breath in jest and smiling at Ale, "Ok now that I have scared and totally confused you let me return to your question about using Judex. When addressing the Prince in mixed company such as at court with non-Invictus present use Prince. When you are with only Invictus or you are appealing to his role as leader of the Invictus then Judex would replace Prince. So you could call him Your Grace, because he is a Duke or informally would be Alder Judex Clarke. Familiar address would be Alder Clarke, I would avoid this if I were you unless he gives permission, and Intimate would be to call him Asa, again only with permission. Usage of first name only among the Invictus implies that you are currently or have been lovers in the past. His formal address would be His Grace Alder Asa Clarke, Duke of Sacramento, Judex, and Prince. There is a little bit of play there because you can list them separately after his name and just tack on jobs in order of importance."

Victoria couldn't help but think of Greenberg and his frequent use of first names with Whip York, and the mixed messages that sent around. The Whip didn't seem to care one way or the other what someone thought of her in that regard, but Victoria though it was a little odd the a Daeva would openly flout a close relationship with a Haunt like that.

"In short, to answer your question, use either Priscus or Deputy with informal use at court. If you are speaking to a new arrival who is a gangrel you would be addressed as Priscus or if you were acting in your capacity as Clan head. If you were exercising your duty as Deputy then that title would be appropriate. So which title you choose to use can send a clue to the nature of the meeting to a attentive person. Me I can be Lady Reeve, or if we are in private and not discussing domain business, such as now, you can call me Lady Stamford. My last name with Reeve is not as crucial as there is only one Reeve, but can be useful for someone who does not know me. One last thing, normally it is the job of the most junior member present to handle introductions for people giving their proper titles. So if the Prince, you, and I were all there and someone new to the domain was as well, officially it would be your job to introduce most important to least important. That has been rather lax lately though."

12. Likes Orianna liked this post
    Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

As she listens, she has to wonder what she was getting herself into. Formal and informal? It sounded daunting, but Victoria explained it well, and using Ale’s titles helped.

Oh, Knights? Now that sounds interesting, and like something she could do.

She returns the smile, “Scared would be a good word to use.” She replies, “Though I have a feeling with practice, and asking if I’m not sure, it will become easier. But there wouldn’t be any note or cheats cards would there?” she jokes with a light laugh.

Ah, so first names were a no-no, well, that sucks. She preferred people to use her first name, it seemed made things easier, plus not many pronounce her name right.

Whoa, wait a minute?! Put introductions on the new girl?! Her eyes widen in surprise, “Oh, well, no pressure there.” She says with a nervous chuckle. Nervous wasn’t her thing, she was usually comfortable and confident in what she did or said.

“Though it’s always going to be in the back of my mind that I screwed up a title somewhere.” It was true, remembering when and where was gonna be a bitch.

“Aside from titles, is there any other social expectations I need to be aware of? I know I can sometimes come across as a little rough around the edges, is there something I need to work on?” she wouldn't completely change who she was, but tweaks here and there were ok.

Lady Reeve Stamford
    Lady Reeve Stamford

Presence ••• (Dominant)
    BP •••

+2
    SL
    PRE

Victoria chuckled at Alessandra's comment about being scared. She knew that this was a lot to take in all at once and expected the information to mostly ooze out, however, she hoped that a little bit of it would stick.

"I'm sure you'll do fine. People expect noobies to make mistakes and the introduction thing can be seen as practice, like doing your sums or something." She said with a smile. "I don't expect it to be very hard. We have such a small number of people in the city at the moment and a person's title can change based on gaining new positions, you will likely be using much of the same form address with someone. Also If you screw something up they will most likely let you know."

While they were talking the young woman came back carrying a tray and she stopped near Ale. She presented the tray with a tiny notepad sized bound diary book on it. The writing inside was penned in a perfect flowing script with basics of titles and how to combine them. With it is a small pen that fits into a slot on the side of the tiny book.

"A basic primer for you to get you started. You can add to it little things to help you. If there is something that is confusing or if you just have questions feel free to ask."

Victoria thought for a moment considering Ale's question. Titles were the most important thing to tackle early on....there were a few other things though.

"Titles are the big thing early on to become familiar with cause you will need their use most often, pretty much every time you speak with someone.There are a few minor tidbits, but I don't want to over load you with complex procedures you will likely not need right away. We can cover a few though. We mentioned monomacy. You will most likely need to become very familiar with writing letters and sending responses and invitations via courier. The clans have their own colors and so you can be expected to know what they mean. Many people will add them to their wardrobe. For formal Invictus gatherings there are sashes to wear. Daeva is red and gold, Gangrel is red and brown, Mekhet indigo and silver, Nosferatu black and green, Ventrue purple and gold. So a Daeva might wear a red dress with gold jewelry or whatever if they wish to broadcast clan affiliation. Sometimes in more formal locations clothing will be more structured with uniforms or livery for factions, guild, or clans, but you will not see that here as we do not have any guilds at the moment. Knights sometimes wear more military esque uniforms from the recent past like revolutionary war and sooner in the states since military uniforms can usually pass by in society at large, but we generally dress more to fit in around here."

The ventrue placed a finger on her chin as she gazed at a nearby group of flowers, as if she found them particular interesting. After several moments she plucked the small cluster flower and proffered a smallish sprig of Goldenrod to Ale.

"We should also we should mention gifts,"
    Victoria said finally as if she had not done anything at all of note assuming Ale accepted the flower. "Gift giving is pretty important in the Invictus. Never anything practical like boons, stocks, or land, but instead something nice or sophisticated, jewellery is popular as well as art. If you know the person, their hobbies, or interests you can tailor something to them personally it can have meaning. There is no set formula and creativity is valued in gift giving so blindly copying may lead to embarrassment. If someone gives you say a piece of jewelry or bauble and you wear it to court or do not wear it a message is sent to those who know. You can snub someone or broadcast an affiliation with someone by your actions. Lots of little things have meaning like that, flowers hold meaning to many in our covenant as well. So there is much room for subtle messages or intrigue. Occasions for gits can be birthdays, holidays, a graduation from training in a guild or gaining new rank. There are many possibilities."

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Noobies? Now that was a word she never thought she’d hear Victoria say.

“Glad to hear they’ll tell me if I screw up, but I’m hoping they don’t have to.” But she knew better, she knew she’d screw something up along the way.

She was a little surprised to see the young woman appear and then present her with something. Looking and seeing the tiny notepad, she picks it up, offering the woman a small smile.

So there was a cheat book! How awesome was this?!

“Oh, this is perfect! Thank you Lady Stamford, and such beautiful handwriting. I’m afraid mine could use a little work.” Being part of the Invictus made her want to have handwriting that was more fluid. But she knew the way to get it, practice.

“Question in regards to letter writing. Is it safe to use titles when writing a letter? I only ask because it seems like an easy way to breach the Masquerade. You mentioned a courier, is there one used and trusted by the Invictus?” Best ask before she writes a letter and royally screws up.

Knowing her Clans colors was good, she wasn’t aware they had any. She wasn’t huge on wearing colors, but maybe she’d give it a try at a formal Court. Unless an Invictus meeting happened first.

Seeing Victoria gaze move to a group of flowers, her own follow. Not sure what they were looking at in particular. When the flower was offered, Ale accepted it, dark eyes looking at it, trying to figure out what it meant. And when the conversation changed, and she didn’t mention it, she was confused. Until Victoria mentioned flowers had meaning to some. So maybe the flower had a meaning to it, and it was up to her to figure it out? Was this a test?

“Never been very good at giving gifts. But hearing that it’s important, I’ll be paying more attention to what interests others.” Though she found her mind already working ideas out. Butterflies, pinned for wall design in each clans colors! She’d think on it more later.

“Ah, so this Goldenrod,” holding the flower up in her hand, “Has a meaning to it?” she asks before looking at the flower again, “I had no idea, fascinating!” flowers could be worked into the butterfly art!

“Seems there is subtle meaning in what gifts you give, as well as any flowers you may or may not incorporate into it.” Wow. That’s all she could come up with right now, wow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread