Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Conversation between Monsters

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Garrick Marlon
    Status 2 (Gun Permit)
    Garrick Marlon

Holstered gun on his right hip
    Sheathed knife on his left hip

Court - No weapons
    Gimme - Pistol and Knife

Nosferatu Curse: The irises of Garrick's eyes are milky white, they never seem to focus on what he is paying attention too. Consequently it is hard to tell if he's looking at you or around you or past you.
    Scenes

NOS
    PRE

Garrick walks barefoot into the Caldarium and rolls up the legs of his jeans. Sitting at the edge of the water he lets his feet sink in to his ankles. Eyes close as the Nosferatu remembers days before death, sitting at pools and feeling the sun on his back. He doesn't miss the sun or even pools that much. The combination and dull memories of not having a care make him smile though.

Easier days than being dead, having to hunt most nights to stay half dead. Still being dead has a few perks, life is a hell of a lot more interesting. But also complicated, very complicated.

Which has led Garrick to the Caldarium tonight, hoping that Greenberg isn't opposed to shop talk.

M
    Matrixchild

While Garrick was barefoot, Joseph was dressed as he normally was: everything for a suit but the jacket, which he left upstairs in the expanded shared haven. "Whip Marlon. How wonderful to receive your text," he said with a smile. "How may I help you this evening?"

He suspected what the meeting could be about, and if so he was pleased to be contacted. It was promising to say the least.

Garrick Marlon
    Status 2 (Gun Permit)
    Garrick Marlon

Court - No weapons
    Gimme - Pistol and Knife

Nosferatu Curse: The irises of Garrick's eyes are milky white, they never seem to focus on what he is paying attention too. Consequently it is hard to tell if he's looking at you or around you or past you.
    Scenes

NOS
    PRE

Pulling his feet out of the water Garrick rises to stand. "Remembering old memories..so good I guess? Yourself? Thank you for agreeing to talk." Feeling water pool around his feet Garrick bends down and rolls his jeans back down. Rolled up pants look ridiculous if you aren't in the water.

The question is asked rapidly and with a hint of fluster. Garrick isn't sure how this is going to go. "I'm wondering if you're willing to talk about the Invictus?"

M
    Matrixchild

"I'm doing quite well thank you," Joseph said with a smile as he watched Garrick step out of the bath. Then the man speaks, voicing his true desire for meeting and Joseph was surprised to say the least. "Come, let's sit down," he said, gesturing towards the benches on the side.

Once Joseph had sat he asked Garrick, "I am willing to speak on it. What are you interested in knowing?" Always good to let the one seeking answers to set the tone.

Garrick Marlon
    Status 2 (Gun Permit)
    Garrick Marlon

Court - No weapons
    Gimme - Pistol and Knife

Scenes

NOS
    PRE

An almost awkward nod then Garrick moves and sits down on a bench. White eyes take in the well dressed kindred then note Garrick's own far less formal clothes. Clothes are probably part of it, and how they speak. Hands fall to rest on his knees as thoughts form into words.

"I'd like to know what the Invictus is? The Lancea are our Church and the Circle worships pagan gods. I spoke with Priscus Regan about the Ordo and he talked about cause and effect. Which, honestly, made my head hurt while I was hunting one night as I thought through what hunting in one place may do." And then did happen, sadly.

"I'm just not sure what the Invictus is? I guess? And I feel like I need to look at the Covenants more and I'm curious."

M
    Matrixchild

Joseph sat with his back against the wall and his foot up on his other leg's knee. It was a relaxed position to be sure. He smiled at Garrick as the man spoke, listening for his reason. "It's always good to learn about the Covenants. You take your time, learning what you can, so that you can make the best decision possible. Since you want to know, the Invictus, in two words, is Power," he said, extending his right, "and Control," he added, extending his left hand.

His hands fell to his lap, almost symbolizing that they must also exist together. "We believe that by controlling the world and our exterior, we can learn to always protect the Masquerade, and in a way, control the beast itself. Now, that can manifest in many ways, such as respecting titles and the achievements and experience of those around you. Or it can manifest as increasing ones worldly accomplishments such as flourishing businesses or gaining wealth. It can even manifest as governing Kindred so that those below understand the importance of doing what's right. Now, I must admit, I am still a novice myself, so if you're interested in more detailed information I know the perfect person to speak to, but in a base way, that's what the Invictus is. Gaining Power, other others, for yourself, etcetera. And Controlling yourself and others to protect the masquerade, and our kind. Does that make sense?" He then waited to see if Garrick had any questions.

Garrick Marlon
    Status 2 (Gun Permit)
    Garrick Marlon

Court - No weapons
    Gimme - Pistol and Knife

Scenes

NOS
    PRE

"It does. But I never thought of gaining Power to exert that sort of control." Calmer words escape the white eyed Nosferatu now. "Always seemed like power was for powers sake. To have control of others just because you can." Garrick shifts and his head turns to regard Greenberg. Or at least probably Greenberg.

"So then that's why Titles are so important. It's not just recognizing what the person has done but also to remind you of where you are." A hand scratches at Garrick's beard. Kind of makes sense.. "If my Sire hadn't been firmly in the "get off my lawn" view of Covenants I'd bet he was Invictus. That or being an ornery prick who didn't like explaining things twice is jjust an ornery prick."

M
    Matrixchild

"Well think about it. You gain power to have power. That power lets you control others because you can. But over time that would be boring, so you decide to use your power for more. That's basically what it is. Centuries and centuries of Invictus rule allowed Kindred to see what power and control should really be used for." One of his hands gestured slightly as he spoke while the other stayed in his lap. He was enjoying a calm and thoughtful conversation for once.

"Exactly. Not to criticize anyone in particular, but some Kindred can lose focus on the struggles of our kind by becoming too close to Kine. Sure, I get my livelihood from Kine, and I can certainly enjoy their company, but we must always work to keep ourselves in check, because the beast is always with us. Think about it like this: as you train with a weapon, over time you can react without even thinking. The Invictus does that with protecting the Masquerade and etiquette. You focus and work on doing the right thing so much that at some point it becomes almost second nature. The more you do it, the better and easier it is to follow the rules. And to be fair, we could all live much longer if we all learned to instinctively respect etiquette and the Masquerade."

Garrick Marlon
    Status 2 (Gun Permit)
    Garrick Marlon

Court - No weapons
    Gimme - Pistol and Knife

Scenes

NOS
    PRE

"Huh, I forget, sometimes, how long we can live." A small shrug follows. Garrick doesn't have a mental framework to look at time that far out yet. Everything is still largely day to day. "Still a kid with our kind."

"My sire was pretty hard on the Masquerade. Err, he made sure I knew not to fuck it up. I don't know how some of us are able to interact with the foo..kine so much. The, uh, Beast" Need to use the right word. "Never shuts up and there's that edge almost always." The day sleep became a welcome refuge much like sleeping back before death. A brief moment of calm.

"So the Invictus took it upon themselves to make sure that everyone follows the Masquerade? Sounds like a good thing to me. No idea how our kind aren't in the spotlight with how some act."

M
    Matrixchild

"Most Kindred don't advertise their age, but some have seen things history books only have as footnotes," he said with a slight chuckle. Joseph was still young comparatively, and yet he had seen more already than many Kine could dream.

"The beast truly is a never ending voice within us. But sometimes the Kine can be necessary for things in our unlife and we all need to be able to remain restrained without going into the spotlight as you say. It's surprising to me how little some people care about the Masquerade. But that's of course why the Invictus takes it all so seriously. Someone has to. One Kindred could learn to enjoy the natural power that comes with being a Kindred so much that they forget there are more Kine than Kindred. Like a swarm of rats devouring a human, Kine can overpower a Kindred when they are in a large enough group, and as was seen with the Salem Witch trials they tend to fear that which they don't understand, making that much more dangerous. We are all better off with the Kine unaware of our true natures," he said with a smile.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread