Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
Formality, Deconstructed

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

"As far as titles? I think you do well enough as well, but they really aren't that unpleasant. We are far more lax about titles than those elitist and fastidious ego stroking dragons. Many of our titles that you get are either earned by age and accomplishing great things for the Invictus or they are earned because you have mastered a skill or a role and are recognized for it. It is more of a recognition of accomplishment. Also titles in the past have played important roles in noble and genteel culture. I suppose some of it is mirroring that, but it is an excellent counterpoint to the beast. You are more likely to see refinement in the way a gentleman carries himself over say a dockworker on a tavern crawl. However, even the lower classes have their own culture, hierarchy and modes of showing respect to say a gang boss, an under boss, a supervisor, the heir of an organization, a lieutenant, a comrade in arms. It is something that is comment to the human condition and all walks of life. The civility is what we latch onto. Not to say that those of your clan are not welcome or that those who have strength can not use it, we prefer to use strength for greatest effect. Violence is used in genteel culture as well, the kine's art of dueling lives in our Monomancy tradition to challenge one to single combat when we have been grievously wronged. There is a time and a place for bashing someone over the head, and there is a time and a place for embarrassing them before everyone and gelding them socially. The trick is knowing when to use those to make you look better. Controlled strength or power is what we respect, the beast can undo everything in a single evening. That is why we do as we do, insulation against losing control to the beast."
    I loved this so much, Yog-Sothoth . Spinning it down to the 'common' level was freaking brilliant​.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Victoria Stamford
    Fisher

Presence ••
    Adamantine Arrow Status •
    Victoria Stamford

Thanks, I just hit me and made sense that all cultures, walks of life, sub cultures have their own structure and hierachy. They all have their own taboos and norms so it made sense as a universal thing.

3. Likes West liked this post
+ Reply to Thread