Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Trust Fall

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    (Emergency Services, Criminals)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu | Lancea Sanctum

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

When had they last spoken privately? Cross is trying to remember as he waits outside the Dark Temple for Gilroy to arrive. He's early, but unwilling to enter in the absence of his Regent.

Court. The one he made me leave. And for good reason. Cross is not angry about that punishment. He'd deserved it.

That was the night he'd first glimpsed the steel behind the sniveling demeanor erected by Gilroy's curse. That was also the night Cross had decided to serve his family and the one who guided it. To dedicate himself to their cause.

But things are changing, rapidly, and that evening is seeming more and more remote.

Cross smooths his suit jacket, the same one he’d worn that night at court, before clasping his hands behind his back. He wonders if Gilroy still secretly mistrusts—even hates—him, he wonders how Gilroy will react to his more religious questions, he wonders why Gilroy named him ‘Sheriff’ when the Prince despises that title, he wonders why Stamford had been chosen Reeve, he wonders why Gilroy would open his regency to potential enemies and spies, especially without consulting him—Sheriff of the Deep Kingdom—first, he wonders what's happened to Jack, he wonders who Gilroy will name Priscus in his stead, he wonders…

Stop.

Cross closes his eyes, willing the torrent of thoughts and questions to silence.

Be still. Be patient.

Answers would come. Or they wouldn’t. Cross waits.

2. Likes Yumyumcrow, , West liked this post
    Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Status 1 (Covenant - Lancea Sanctum)
    Status 2 (Academia - Research Fellow)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

The worm slithered into the room. Hunched over, it was difficult to tell the Bishop could tower over most men. As it was the Curse took it's due. A five foot Kine would have stood taller than Gilroy.

But impressions wasn't why he was here. At least not entirely. All the same, the Temple's candles remained until.And all the same, he still managed to confidently dominate the space his Covenant 'controlled'.

Kenneth slunk into the temple with the grace and sinister presence of a snake. The Bishop had some idea why Robert had asked him here and to present as anything less than predatory was against church principles.

Of Cross had named two other titles in his letter. So The vermin lord tried to prepare himself for everything.

"Hello Robert," the Haunt addressed Cross informally. Cross' response would dictate in which direction the conversation would go. "You wanted to talk with me?"

Justin case the invitation wasunclear.
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

So many questions, all of them pressing for answers.

As he follows Gilroy into the Temple, Cross keeps his head slightly bowed, only occasionally casting his eyes about to take in the space, despite his raging curiosity. Instead, he keeps his attention on his Regent who, curse or no curse, seems to grow more confident, more powerful, once he's inside the chamber.

So many questions, so many directions the conversation could take. And yet there's one that demands to be addresses immediately. Something that goes beyond domain and family, personal trust or public safety. A matter of faith.

"Good evening, Bishop," Cross replies, "thank you for meeting me."

He pauses, eyes drawn to the altar of wax. Even with the candles unlit it is a strange and somewhat terrifying structure, especially for a Kindred who has passed through the fire.

"I've come to talk about the Faith of the Dark Father. I..." He pauses again. It's as if he's having trouble finding the right words. "I'm sorry. I'm not very good at talking about religion or belief, but I feel like I need to speak about this. I wasn't religious in life." That's putting it mildly. "But, I've been reading the Testmanet since you gave it to me at the Moore House and..." Again, the words seem to run dry or snag on something.

"...And it just makes sense." There's no other way to put it, even though Cross suspects he sounds foolish to the Bishop. His eyes say it all: imploring, confused, and a bit ashamed; hungry for understanding and yet afraid to ask.

Again he waits. This time for Gilroy's response.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Kenneth tried to hide his surprise. He'd been expecting questions. Clarification on some point he'd made in his lecture. Further description of some sect. To see if the Lance might be a good choice of covenant, or simple curiosity.

What he wasn't expecting was a full on declaration of faith. To say the Testament made sense? Cross may have read the book but he certainly hadn't done so carefully. There were contradictions everywhere. Church scholars weren't even sure who wrote the damn thing. It was all to easy to pick the parts that appealed to you but that meant having to ignore the rest. Which was apparently what the Sheriff had done and decided 'it just makes sense'.

Gilroy realized he had lapsed into silence. Luckily the dim room lent itself to making him seem sinister and wise, instead of stunned.

"What about it makes sense to you?" the worm asked quietly. Was the man already on the route to becoming like Sterling. Desperate to be the ultimate predator, no matter the cost. What dangerous shape had this dangerous burned man's faith taken?
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

How to explain it to the Bishop? How to make him understand when, in the end, Gilroy knows precious little about him, his past, his time both alive and dead?

Cross keeps his eyes on the High Worm, his gaze is steady and hungry. He has been waiting for this conversation and he is going to try his hardest to make himself understood by the religious authority of this domain.

“I’ll try,” Cross responds to Gilroy’s question, “But I’m not a scholar, Bishop. You know that. And I’ve never been religious. So excuse me if I am…unclear to you.” He pauses, seeming to gather his strength.

“I’ve been thinking about this a lot. Why—why the Testament has reached me in this way. I…” He stops for a moment, settling himself. “And there are a couple of reasons, as far as I can see.” He now seems ready to explain, as best he can.

“You never knew me in life. I was…I was like him, the Centurion. Cruel, uncaring, without thought for others, no concern for their happiness or safety. And I was like this for as long as I can remember. As a man, I was the law, but I did not care about the law. And I was alone in my selfishness. I had no one and did not want anyone. Violent, lustful, merciless. I was taken by my sire for these reasons. And I know that I am still that man.” He starts out sounding repentant, but ends with a strength in his voice. With acceptance.

“But the thing is: I am no longer a man. I am something else. Like you, like all Kindred. And I know that I am damned. But I was damned before too. At least now…Now I have a purpose. I have a reason.” A pause, then he adds: “Let us always rejoice in our damnation and be ever humble in our purpose.” The line of the Testament is offered as evidence. There is no pride in his voice, he is not trying to impress. Only conviction.

“That’s why it makes sense: it make sense for me, personally. It makes sense that I would be chosen, embraced, made into this thing—whatever it is that I am. Like the Dark Father…” He stops again, looking to find the right words. “I’m not trying to say I am the equal of Longinus, Bishop. I’m saying I feel like I understand him, his words. And I believe them. And I’m ready to accept who and what I am…”

The Burned Man trails off, his eyes drawn again to the darkened altar of wax, as he waits for Gilroy’s response.

7. Likes Yumyumcrow, Yog-Sothoth, West liked this post
    Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Robert's soliloquy was inspiring as it was terrifying. Faith was... powerful. It had driven Josephine mad. It had nearly burned Silver to death. Would it do the same to who had already been touched by fire? It was so hard to tell. However, like Sterling, it could might be denied. Only guided as best as Kenneth could. Hopefully he would do better this time.

"You weren't Embraced into the covenant. There is ritualistic purification involved. It is normally borne by the Sire." Normally being the optimal word. Gilroy still remembered the scourge on his back as Tabitha watched. "But for you, it would be yours alone to bear. Are you sure this is what you want?" A spidery hand waved over the unlit candles and the altar with gouge marks in it from where Kenneth had been nailed down. The Bishop often emphasized the morality of the Lance but if Robert wanted to join, it would be its bloody side he witnessed first. Anything else would not be a true test of Cross' conviction.

It wasn't that Kenneth didn't want to strengthen his covenant. It was just that he knew the Lancea was not for everyone. You could join other parts of Kindred society and still follow its preciepts. Joining the church, swearing your life to it, required a certain sacrifice. He wanted to
    Mask of Tranquility

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

That's it? No questions? No explanations? No direction? All the Bishop feels he should offer the Burned Man is a warning about the pain involved in joining the covenant? After Cross has shared his inner thoughts, his guilt, and his burgeoning faith, all he gets is: 'Are you sure you want to do this?

Cross isn't so much angry as confused. Does Gilroy find him so distasteful that he considers him unfit for service to the Dark Father's faith? Is he so eager to be without Cross's company that he would try to keep him out of the covenant entirely? In the end, though, this isn't about Gilroy. This is about something larger. And Cross refuses to give up.

"I am not afraid of pain, Bishop," he replies, simply. "And especially not when it serves a purpose." Purification, after all, is precisely what should be required. Cross can see the logic in it.

"But maybe you could tell me a little more about the covenant itself," he prods, his investigative instincts kicking in. "I've spent the last few months reading and trying to understand the Testament itself, but the Testament is not the covenant, and I'm without a clear background on what membership in the Lancea Sanctum would constitute, what would be asked of me; what the covenant sees as its goals, and how I might help to reach them..."

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

"That," Gilroy sighed when the Sheriff asked about the covenant "is complicated." Which had to be the understatement of the decade.

"The covenant demands you accept that you are no longer. That you are a monster." Yet in Kenneth's mind was more statement of fact than anything else. "At the same time, we are not just monsters. Kine morality no longer applies to us but that is not to say we are bereft of morals and spiritual enlightenment." The great paradox of the Lance. To be a holy monster.

"The Lancea et Sanctum requires that we seek out both sides of ourselves while holding a moral balance. Follow the Traditions, study the scripture, maintain our humanity, feed upon sinners reverently, and observe holy rituals. The specifics vary from creed to creed and faction to faction but those are all commonalities in what the covenant would demand of you."

"As for goals; those also vary. Though the spreading of the Lance's teachings is the basis for most policies."

"My goal is simply to better inform the Kindred population about the church's beliefs and history. Most tend to have a skewed view of what the church is and I hope by providing more information to dispel some of the negative views. And I've found to appeals to people more than evangelism."
    However, that wouldn't be something he'd expect Robert to do until he learned more about the covenant.

"There are a great many ways you could help the Lance. Simply making your joining the covenant public for one. Setting up a sermon. Studying to be better informed about the catechism. Working to become a crusader or inquisitor. A better question is how do you see yourself contributing to spreading the testament and its message?" Did he want to join the preisthood? Was he trying to gain the secrets of Thebes?
    Mask of Tranquility

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

Cross listens intently as the Bishop speaks, his scarred face inscrutable. There's a lot to think about and Cross tends to require time to mull things over, consider them. But that would be for later. For now, he speaks to what he can:

"You know me well enough, Bishop. I am not...the best when it comes to gentle persuasion. However, with time, I might be able to spread the covenant's teachings by becoming an example of its effects on an individual. And speaking openly about those effects." Cross has always been better at leading by action, not by words. "In that sense, my first goal in the covenant would be to explore those teachings and to examine my own, monstrous nature. With your guidance, of course." A pause, as Cross considers. "That's what brought me here, tonight. I am tired of being ignorant, of ignoring who and what I am. I am tired of simply moving forward without any understanding. The Testament has allowed me to begin that journey and I don't want to stop. As my understanding deepens, I hope to help others along that same path." Would Gilroy understand? He seems to be the introspective sort, perhaps it is hard for him to see just how much of a revelation such a newly-discovered capacity for self awareness and self-investigation could be for a man like Cross.

"That said, we both know my strengths. And I wouldn't be opposed to serving in the role of inquisitor or crusader. Defending the faith and the domain in the same stroke." Another pause. "Now seems like a time that requires such a role. Threats are on the rise, as you know. The Brood is among them. It seems that the interests of the Faith and the Domain are neatly aligned."

There's more to discuss on this front, but that can wait for the moment. "So, how would I go about confirming my Faith, if I decide to do so--and if you would have me?"

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Not wanting to ignorant. It was something Kenneth could understand. What he couldn’t admit to Cross was that the worm was still blind. The mysteries of the vampiric eluded even the Bishop. The wisdom the Lancea might offer was incomplete and biased. There was some there. He had had revelations after all. However, what they meant and where they came from was uncertain. Yet, he could sympathize with taking whatever path you had available. Even one as dark and twisted as the one the church offered.

“Of course I would have you.” In addition it wasn’t like the Lance had the luxury of large congregation so they could be picky about who could join.

“The Creation Rite is how you would dedicate yourself to the covenant. Lashes are traditional. Alternately branding by hot iron. Though if there is some other form of purification that you would find personally significant, the rite allows for other actions to be substituted.”
    Mask of Tranquility

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread