Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Mage OOC Talk and Questions

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 42 of 53 First ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 ... Last

Puck Scenes

The sympathy chart for extended rituals is located under the portal spell.

Maybe it's the covid mental fog, but I don't understand where you're coming from saying that the sympathy penalties on rituals is consistent when there's a table for sympathy target numbers. Unless you're saying Portal is a unique exception with it's own rules? Which doesn't feel consistent.
    Just your friendly neighborhood gulmoth!

I indeed read it as portal being an exception since those target numbers aren't mentioned anywhere else in the rules and spell factors are a distinctly different thing from penalties. Things that make it harder to cast the spell/ritual don't add target successes, they subtract from your dice pool. Likewise, automatic resistance leads to each roll being penalized in an extended casting action.

Puck Scenes

Except they aren't distinct?

Spell factors applied to the casting of an instant spell are applied as penalties. See Phoenyx's cooling spell in the theater plot.

I'm also not really clear on why automated resistance is being brought up given neither Postcognition (The spell that was cast) or Portal (The source of the table) allow it.

Twist Scenes

On a similar vain, a different question: How low in the negatives are our mages allowed to go before the ST says "no more penalties allowed, it is not possible" ?
    What I mean is that assume someone has X arcanum at 3 and gnosis 1. Taking 2 factors for say, targets, already puts that mage at a chance die. What is stopping the mage from saying "I am already at chance die. May as well go for 10 potency on top of it, since whether it is 0 dice, or -20 dice, I still have a chance die."
    I will totally find something cool to put here - eventually.

Except they aren't distinct?

Spell factors applied to the casting of an instant spell are applied as penalties. See Phoenyx's cooling spell in the theater plot.

I'm also not really clear on why automated resistance is being brought up given neither Postcognition (The spell that was cast) or Portal (The source of the table) allow it.
    Well, seems like we have to agree to disagree. I think the books and the chart offered by West back then clearly state those as penalties as opposed to voluntary spell modifications. I brought up resistances because (like other penalties such as wound penalties or environmental penalties) they are applied as dice being subtracted instead of target successes added.

On a similar vain, a different question: How low in the negatives are our mages allowed to go before the ST says "no more penalties allowed, it is not possible" ?
    What I mean is that assume someone has X arcanum at 3 and gnosis 1. Taking 2 factors for say, targets, already puts that mage at a chance die. What is stopping the mage from saying "I am already at chance die. May as well go for 10 potency on top of it, since whether it is 0 dice, or -20 dice, I still have a chance die."
    Once you've crossed the threshold to having only a chance die left you're not allowed to take any further penalties. If someone wants to have a grander effect they might have to consider casting the spell as a ritual to get more target factors.

6. Likes Fedup liked this post

Puck Scenes

Reminder to get your xprs in by the end of the month.

8. Likes BoxingUnicorn, liked this post

Puck Scenes

Remember your xprs better then I remembered to post this reminder!

10. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post

Twist

Hound, Lady Viscount, Invictus
    Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks •• (Alluring)
    Public Identity (Myah Torsione)
    Sand

Striking Looks •• (Curvy)

So ... elephant in the room ...

Is the Mage venue going to continue?

Or do I need to start looking to character gen for a different venue until we have more active mage players?

Puck Scenes

I certainly hope so! There will need to be some short term changes though.

I'm happy to solo Witch if you want to continue plots with her by herself. I'll write Moira out of Whispered Invocation later today and we can wrap the current matriarch scene. The only issue with Matriarch is that is was designed to be a combat plot and if Witch couldn't handle the summon, she won't be able to handle the summoner without heavy retconning. We can do it, but just a heads up. I'll also throw up the plot ads again after we have a venue of 4+ characters. There will not be new plots until that happens though.

That being said, I understand if you want to play in a venue with more active players and characters. The current player base has been abusing the posting rate rules for to long and I'll be cracking down with xp fines and anything else I can get away with so we can see who will actually be able to participate in the venue with you. I'll be throwing that on an announcement later. In the meantime, we can keep Witch active for shards if you like and I'll throw up a plot add once we get back up to 4+ players.

tl;dr: How comfy are you with solo quests when there are other venues with active toons and plots? I promise to keep the venue open, but I 100% understand if you want to bounce to another for now.

0 Scenes

With my legs finally healed, I was hoping I could unretire my characters. So, let me know if you need a +1

Page 42 of 53 First ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread