Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Hedge Patrol

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

Danger lurks in the heart of every Freehold; through any doorway, under any bridge, across any threshold, it waits for the incautious, the foolish, the desperate. Everyone in the Freehold had clawed and tore their way back through the Thorns at one point in their lives, feeling their soul being stripped once more as they emerged changed forever so much so that for some the act of ever stepping back into the Hedge was crazy talk.

Crazy, however, was occasionally what was in order, hand-in-hand with bravery. The Hedge was and always would be a place full of terrible predators, forbidden fruits and unexplored secrets, waiting to be discovered. It is a place that calls to the Lost and on this bright, if still chilly, spring morning as the sun begins to bathe Sacramento with its glare, droplets of leftover few still cling to the remnants of night. Leftover stragglers from a heavy night begin their walk of shame home from whatever party had claimed them for the evening, the rare few with the staying power or sheer stupidity where consequences mean little in their world.

The Forge was a venue known to be a club for the metal-head and to leave without a bruise, bump or bloody nose from the mosh pit meant you hadn't quite got the memo upon entry. It was a place to let out the build up of anger and choler so as to release the pressures of the day with others of the same ilk. It was hot, it was sweaty and it was cathartic. For those in the know, it was the Freehold’s headquarters for the Court of Wrath, and when the newly-appointed Queen of Summer had put out the call for a patrol through the Briars, it would naturally be from the Forge where she reigned that they would set off for the day.

Welcome to the Hedge Patrol. Please ensure you list any equipment you are bringing in your initial arrival post within a spoiler box and to ensure any spends through the scene are tracked accordingly. The IC time of the scene is 0500 hours

2. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    T

Artemis approached the Forge on foot his newly acquired bow slung over his shoulder and the quiver of arrows in a duffle bag. The duffle bag seemed important as it meant you were taking your arrows from one place to another. Striding through town with a quiver of arrows attached to your back was just asking to be questioned by the authorities. In truth he wasn't sure if it was a wise idea to bring them to the Forge, but as he had no other place to stow them presently, with him they came!

He was interested to know what this patrol would entail and who else would be coming. The sandman walked through the entrance looking for someone familiar and wondered if he should try to put his gear in a locker or somewhere else.
    Equipment

Helen arrives shortly after her fellow Spring courtier. She's dressed for outdoor adventure (black long-sleeved t-shirt, jeans bloused into well-worn hiking boots, and a green bandana rolled and tied around her neck). It's quite the sporting look. She carries a black backpack with her, inside is a bottle of water, an 8.5 x 11 notebook, an assortment of pens, a swiss-army knife, and binoculars. Nothing heavy-duty, she's here for the exploration aspect, to observe and record the nature of the hedge in Sacramento, and for the experience.

When she spots Artemis, she hurries right over, happy to see the towering Sandman. "Artemis Wescott! If I find you first every time I'm arriving, I'll die a happy woman!" She gives the giant a hug, or what approaches a hug between one so small and one so large. "How are you, dear? Are we the first to show?"

Gear

5. Likes Teeramus liked this post

This is an ungodly hour to be awake. What's terrible is that Ramona has to wake up even earlier. Not a morning person at the best of times, getting up at 4 so she could be showered, dressed, and fed before the others showed up was it's own form of torture. Coffee was the only solace. Boatloads of coffee. Gallons of it. If she could take it intravenously, she probably would. There's nothing in the world she'd like more than to climb back up to the Hollow and go back to bed. Coffee won't let her. As much as she hates it, that's a good thing. Because there's stuff to do today. So coffee, food, shower, clothes, a quick run around the block, and Ramona's about ready to fake being alive this early. Fake it 'till you make it, after all.

Up on the mezzanine, her gear is all laid out on a leather mat covering a table. Organizing it all yesterday was a good idea. Cleaning and inspecting it all yesterday was a really good idea. Saved her a lot of trouble this morning. She's sprawled out in a chair next to it, doing some final visual checks, with an enormous mug of coffee in one hand, when she hears voices from below. That's another weird thing about the hour, the Forge has never been this quiet before. She rolls her head around to glance down at whoever is in the main area. Early bird, she half-thinks, watching them. Newcomers to the Freehold too, though she recalls them from the recent Coronation. What would a person who is alive right now do? Probably try to make a half-decent impression as a Queen. Fake it 'till you make it.

With a muted grunt, Ramona manages to lever herself out of the chair. Stone joints click and pop as she stretches for a moment, then takes two steps to the edge of the mezzanine's balcony, leaning both elbows on the railing. "We're up here," she calls, combing her fingers through the hair atop her head and then taking another gulp of coffee. Her mantle has grown. You can feel it even from down on the Forge floor. That heat. That power. That strong scent of hot metal. The wisps of smoke that waft up from her stone bones and her brands. The sensation that when she moves or speaks, a roaring furnace is in the background, complementary and intimidating. And the sense that she is bigger and stronger than she appears is, bigger and stronger than you, regardless of whether that is physically true.

Ramona has dressed like... well, Ramona. Probably because she often dresses like she'll be ready for anything. A sturdy pair of Doc Martens, jeans covered by her leather blacksmithing chaps, a t-shirt, decorative wristbands and choker. Her leather jacket is on the table with the rest of her equipment, including a sturdy hiking backpack and numerous weapons. Other gear is already hanging from her belt, in holsters, sheathes, and pouches.

Sitting on the next table are some things that might be far more interesting to the visitors though; a carafe of coffee, spare mugs, and a box of doughnuts.

Equipment

Freehold Pledge: Winter
    Allies (Clubs) 1
    Allies (Emergency Services) 1
    Allies (Unions) 3
    Malcolm Green, the Mountain

WP: 4/4
    Health: 10/10
    Giant
    Mantle: Bubble of crisp, cold, air surrounds him. Frost rimes his head and shoulders, tracing icy epaulettes.
    Malcolm Green

Sun Banisher's Oath

(+1 Investigation, +1 Intimidation) - Winter 2016

Freehold Pledge

(+1 Streetwise) - Winter 2016

Dragon's Bane Pledge

(+3 Faerie Favour) - Spring 2017
    Greens Scenes

Dragon Giant|

PRE

Green draws near the Forge with ponderous tread.

Another patrol through the Hedge - what more could the former Archer and now, Spymaster, want more? The later was still a closely guarded secret but him being an Archer of Winter was reasonably well known. Why would he not turn up to lend a hand? Why would he not take the opportunity to see some of the others put through their paces?

He enters the Forge, his shadow spreading out before him, his mantle ablating from the heat. "Hey. Call me Green," he rumbles in passing as he glides like an iceberg passed the two newcomers Helen Powers @unlimited_sink Teeramus Artemis Wescott . He will pause, if only to appreciate Ramona's new mantle and her new role as Estival Queen. "Ramona. I'm coming."

Adjusting the shoulder strap of his bag, the mountain plods up the stairs to the mezzanine. Once there he gives the Summer Queen's equipment a very pertinent and most curious glance. "Thought this was a patrol? You going on a Quest or something?"

Green's Gear

8. Likes Forn Clakes, InvertedMonkey liked this post
    T

"Helen darling!" Artemis replied in surprise with a smile. "Ahh, but I was just wondering when I would next see you! We should meet for a cup of tea sometime. Somewhere nice. But have you come to join the patrol?" He returned the hug by putting his free arm around her then offering the crook of his elbow for her to hold as he continued up the stairs to where Ramona had called them. The scent of hot metal emanating from Ramona was palpable and Artemis took a second to take it in, so much stronger than any of the other Summers he had met so far.

"Green, Ramona. Well met. I say, you're rather more prepared than me I'm afraid. I'll bring this if you think it will be useful." He said patting the bow, not seeing any other ranged weapons. "But I don't have nearly the equipment that you do." It was an impressive array and something in the back of his mind said that he should have something like it. Perhaps not yet, or even soon. But eventually.

"I usually prefer to defend myself with the tools God gave me." He said with a smile, raising his fists.

"Tea would be a delight! And maybe something a touch stronger, if you like." She gives Artemis a sly wink, taking his arm as they move upstairs. Though she hardly needs the support, Helen does enjoy a charming gentleman and the charms of being doted upon. "I am, indeed, here for the patrol. I'm no warrior, mind you, but I have a keen mind, sharps eyes, and a case of the adventuring itch. Hopefully I can be of some use." As they reach the top of the stairs, Helen offers Malcolm a nod and a friendly smile. "Mr. Green, a pleasure," she says, untouched by his gruff demeanor. She is touched, however, by the cold coming off the mountain and is thankful in that moment for the powerful heat that's radiating from Ramona, who she turns to now.

Helen is, of course, used to feeling small, but before the Iron Queen she feels downright miniscule. The other two Lost also tower above her, but there's something more to Ramona, a metaphysical size that Helen senses distinctly. She can't help the way her nod of greeting to this woman almost becomes a bow. A line from Olson's Call me Ishmael intrudes on her thoughts: PLUS a harshness we still perpetuate, a sun like a tomahawk, small earthquakes but big tornadoes and hurrikans, a river north and south in the middle of the land running out the blood. She resists the urge to intone these words out loud, saying instead: "Ramona, I'm Helen Powers, new to the Freehold and newly appointed Searce of Spring." Something about this woman, who Helen had only glimpsed at the coronation, seems to demand such a formal accounting from her. "I'm afraid that I am the least prepared among us, and not so obviously blessed with gifts appropriate to this sort of outing, as you all seem to be. But I am eager to learn more about the wilds of these parts and a few things to contribute, I believe."

11. Likes Yumyumcrow, InvertedMonkey liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

The squealing of tired brake-pads heralded the Nix's arrival, her slender form slipping through the doors to the Forge soon after it had ceased. She cut a curious silhouette, in black from head to toe: worn black jeans, running shoes, a tunic with a couple of obvious holes in it, and a dark fur cape wrapped around her shoulders. The cape had seen better days, maybe wanted to be cleaned, and the bottom edge looked ragged in a way that suggested it may have once been longer. Beneath it a messenger bag was slung close to her body, holding a number of things she thought might prove useful.

Mounting the stairs to the mezzanine, Ava brought with her the pervasive scent of cool, deep water and earthy decay. But nothing could compete with Ramona's mantle, and once again the fish-mouthed woman was glad she counted the Iron Queen as a close friend, instead of a foe. It was strange to feel suddenly dwarfed by the Ogre, who had always been larger than her, but not quite so... aggressively.

Having arrived just in time to hear Helen's introduction to Ramona, Ava sent broad, toothy smiles to Green and Artemis and bee-lined for the doughnuts. She had eaten at home, because why rely on anyone else to feed her, but for a foray into the Hedge a person needed to keep their strength up. Filling a mug with coffee and depositing a couple of doughnuts onto a napkin, she sent a grin Ramona's way. "You really do know the way to my heart," she said in her low, rich voice, a doughnut lifted for emphasis.

Her dark eyes landed on Helen and a hand extended, should the woman wish to shake it. "I'm Ava, pleasure to meet you." As the golden light that issued from her lips dissipated, there was a flash of recognition and a delighted smile curved her mouth. "...aren't you that poet?"

recognizing Helen; 2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-04-08 15:07:26 Ava rolls 6 to (Wits+Academics) Recognize a famous poet (10 Again) 5, 3, 1, 7, 10, 7, 8 2 successes

equipment

"I like to be prepared," she answers Green, around the mug of another gulp of coffee. Sure, there are many and varied threats that one might encounter in the hedge that do not involve physical violence. That's why it's good that this group isn't all bruisers and soldiery-types. But there are also many that do involve violence, and that is distinctly Ramona's forte. Artemis's bow draws a glance. Interesting. Potentially very useful. Wasn't the Artemis of legend a goddess? A virgin goddess, if she remembers right. With hounds. Hmm, hounds would be useful too.

"Ramona Bohannon," she introduces herself in reply to Helen. It's clear that the author has already surmised who she is, but it's only polite. Stating her title though, that might be a little much. What's a Searce anyway? Irrelevant, for now. "Through your stomach," she shoots back at Ava, with a smirk, as she watches the Beast descend on fried dough and sugar. She takes another pull from her mug and gestures down at the weapons assembled on the mat, "If one of you would find a blade of mine useful for self-defense, consider it a loan." They're all sitting there in their various sheathes and scabbards, waiting to be claimed. "Bring your bow, Artemis. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

She picks up a doughnut and bites into it, leaning back against the mezzanine railing as she watches them all. "Thanks all of you for showing up," she starts. "Helen, Artemis, if you haven't been here before, the mezzanine's a VIP area. Freeholders and approved guests and staff only, so we can generally talk freely up here." More to the group in general, she goes on, "So here's the score for the day; basic patrol, with a focus on exploration. You're all bringing your own tools and insights to the table, so nobody hesitate to speak up, have an idea, shout a warning, whatever. I want to do this safely, so we don't split up unless it's necessary. If I find out one or two of us have wandered away without letting the group know, you will answer to me, and it will not be pleasant."

Another bite of doughnut and another sip of coffee, "Lastly, let's be flexible out there. It may be that while we're out there we see an opportunity. A way to make friends or make a show of force for our enemies, some Hedge bounty we can pick up, or a danger to the Freehold that we can take care of on our own. If something like that comes up, we do it as a group, or not at all. No harm walking away if it's too much for us, the main purpose of this patrol is recon after all, we'll just mark the opportunity and try to come back later." Empty mug. She walks over to the carafe next to Ava, and fills it again, then turns back to the group. "That's it from me. But I meant it about speak up, so; questions? Comments? Additions? Do you have some local area knowledge to share, or a contract that might be useful? Anything else we should discuss before heading out?"

Freehold Pledge: Winter
    Allies (Clubs) 1
    Allies (Emergency Services) 1
    Allies (Unions) 3
    Malcolm Green, the Mountain

WP: 4/4
    Health: 10/10
    Giant
    Mantle: Bubble of crisp, cold, air surrounds him. Frost rimes his head and shoulders, tracing icy epaulettes.
    Malcolm Green

Sun Banisher's Oath

(+1 Investigation, +1 Intimidation) - Winter 2016

Freehold Pledge

(+1 Streetwise) - Winter 2016

Dragon's Bane Pledge

(+3 Faerie Favour) - Spring 2017
    Greens Scenes

Dragon Giant|

PRE

Green grunted as he listened. Ramona had certainly thought this trip out - as was her prerogative. It would be an interesting challenge working with a group rather than relying on himself.

"There is a lotta ground, out there. You have a specific spot you want to patrol? I mean, yeah, we could always strike out on the main trod from the park. I don't think thats been checked out in some time... but if you had a specific trod elsewhere in town you wanted checked out?"

He paused then.

"You weren't thinking of striking out to the Fleshmarket, right? I mean... I just feel that ways been done to death, so to speak."

That was his veiled hint. He travelled that path himself with reasonable regularity. In disguise, of course.

"Of course... if you wanted to check out somewhere dangerous... I know of a place I've never been. Best in a group, see. 'Cause its dangerous and all. Not sure if this is the right kind of party for that job though..."

He let the words hang before Ramona. How reckless was the Summer Queen and Freehold General. Plus, Green really wanted to know if his information was still current.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread