Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Breakfast of Champions

Page 2 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last
    S
    Selena

There were two different televisions on in the joint. One behind the long old fashioned counter with stools and the other in the opposite corner of the restaurant. Both of them were on, one had Good Morning America on, the other was the local news.

“Today there were reports of one Alaskan Malamute that went missing from the yard. Two other homes were both broken the last two nights, exotic pets were stolen in the Parkway-South Sacramento section of town. There were no traces of the intruders or forced entry.” With that, the anchor stopped, and turned on the camera to move to another story. “This is a reminder to all residence of Sacramento and the surrounding area. If you experience or witness anything suspicious or see someone you don’t recognize in your neighborhood after hours, and acting strangely, contact the authorities through 911 or police non-emergency if you do not feel threatened.” There seemed to be a back story to go with that, it may have aired the prior day, but there was an implied connection between the animal story and the reminder.

Sally looked as if she took over her mother’s position at the diner. Her uniform was pink to match the retro feel of the diner. It was as if this was the greasy spoon that time forgot. She had leaned toward the pick up window, her rump giving the truckers a bit of a gaze. Anything was good for tips, and she wasn’t ashamed to use it against the likes of men. But, her leaning wasn’t entirely in vain. Directly above the opening between the counter and the kitchen was a picture set as a memorial, Mel was written on it. A sweet old man who looked a little like the cook on the other side, possibly the son of the diner’s namesake.

“Jack.” Whispered this woman with big hair in sensible work shoes and a uniformed dress motioning the cook to come to the window. “Jack! Hey, ya hear that? Three of them in the radius of your block.” She shook her head, adjusted her dress along with the name tag that said 'Sally' and grabbed some coffee skirting her way to the table where a bunch gathered. She paused a moment where a vagabond sat, reaching down and pulling a cookie from the wrapped tray behind the counter and 'faux' sneaking it between his arms on where he leaned.

“Hello ya’ll. Have a seat.” Nodding to the free tables and large booth in the back corner. All the tables were set with upside-down mugs, glasses, place settings and menus. “Who all wants coffee?!” Way too chipper for anyone’s own good, but to the wise, it was a façade to get he through another day. Something in her eyes said she was a spitfire though. “Or something else to drink? The joe is fresh and strong! Oh anddddd.... for the faint of heart, we have decaf if you want.”

Waitress

M
    MrDream

Keith's discomfort mounts as changeling after changeling enters the diner.

Some he had met briefly, some completely unknown.

He tried to put the nervousness of the situation behind himself and socialize with polite return smalltalk to the other changelings new and old, but his efforts are terrible and off-putting, without any trace of merit.

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-02-23 23:38:00 Keith rolls 1 to tries to socialize untrained and elemental in a trying atmosphere 1 failure

It is only through the social ability he had built up before the fire stripped most of it away that he was able to avoid really stumbling into some dramatic mischance into something truly offensive or embarrassing.

He is in no shape to pay attention to the television, or the waitress, and unable to stand the smell or crowd, excuses himself to the restroom briefly, his original mission to find John forgotten for the moment.

The smell of strong disinfectant (and other mensroom scents it isn't quite strong enough to cover) helps drive away the nerve racking smell of bacon.

"What drew them all here now? Is this divine will, or some lesser folks' plan?"

Looking in the mirror, hearing himself utter some of his folks favorite words (right on the heels of meeting that fella who reminded him of his seldom seen grandfather) gives him the courage to prepare to return to the group.

Presence
    (Quiet Confidence)
    Striking Looks
    (Mesmerizing Eyes)
    Autumn's Regalia
    (Autumn Mantle)
    Fashion
    (Contacts, Status)
    Mhairi Ankaa

Mask

A slim girl, with raven black hair and grey-blue eyes. She likes wearing silver nail polish.
    Mien

Her skin; like moonlight captured. Quicksilver drips from her fingers, burning up before it lands. Motes of fell fire escape her eyes. In her hair, a galaxy, forming constellations which mimic the sky, changing with the Seasons.
    Mantle

Fear made manifest, Autumn's Regalia embraces the Wisp, as if she is Dread's most blessed daughter.
    Pledges & Other Things

Pledges

Autumn Queen Oath

Plot Stats

Fairy Floss
    Defense: 3 +1
    Heath: Willpower
    Glamour:

House Call
    Glamour:
    HS Choker+1 Defense, -1g. Sparation3 -1g

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Ask-wee-da-eed Telluric

"Hank! Evelynn!" Mhairi squeaks out passed a yawn. Waving them over, not careing where her fingernail goo spattered, it's not like it wouldn't burn up right away.

When the pink wearing high haired waitress finished speaking Mhairi grunts, "I'd-uh...I'd like the 'sleep? sleep? who needs sleep?' sort of coffee." she asks as she yawns into her hand. "Also maybe some food? Uh...what's good and cheep? But still good? Runny eggs and tasty bacon? Toast?" Mhairi babbles a bit still not caffeinated to care if she's making sense or not.

After the waitress takes their orders Mhairi turns back towards the group, wondering how in the hell she was the one who knew each of them, well sort of knew each of them. Pointing one drippy finger at each changeling in turn. "This is Keith. You are Alex? Yeah-uh-Alex. Ahh, This lovely lady is Evelynn, and the gentleman is Hank." Mhairi nods sagely and plops her head back into her hands. Good deed and introductions done.
    Currently Just a Simple Shade Shard~

Evelynn East

Presence 2 (Curious)
    Wizened Inventor/Telluric

Winter Mantle:
    Moment of hush
    Evelynn East

Mask

Short and petite, Evelynn is pale, with a pair of wide brown eyes hidden behind a set of very large glasses.

Mein

A thin, long-fingered woman with eyes that are impossibly large and glassy, giving her the appearance of wearing large, thick glasses when she's not. Her skin is almost translucent in its paleness, and underneath, one can sometimes see the ticking of clockwork parts.

Mantle

The occasional hush falls around her - those moments of silence where surrounding conversations all lull at the same moment seem to happen more often, or perhaps the silences are just more noticeable.
    Pledges

Winter Annual Freehold Pledge

PRE

Evelynn was about to return Mhairi's happy greeting when Keith excused himself to go to the washroom. She shrugged, then turned around to grin at Hank. "Oh hi, Hank! Fancy meeting you two here!" She chuckled, sliding into the booth with others. "I guess Fate's decreed that if I ever need either of you, just pop into the nearest diner on a whim and there you'll be!" Then she turend her attention to Alex and waved. "Nice to meet you!"

Turning her attention to the waitress with an apologetic smile, she held up her cup. "I've already gotten what I need, thanks." Though, Mhairi had mentioned bacon, and that sounded yummy, too... "Actually, you know what? Could I get some pancakes and bacon, please?"

With that finished, she grinned at the rest of the people at the table and absentmindedly began to hum a song.

5. Likes liked this post
    M
    Matrixchild

Hank nodded his head to both Evelynn and Mhairi as he went to take a seat with them. He found it interesting that the Mhairi that he had originally met was not the one in front of him now. She seemed more playful or open. It was good to see.

"That's probably best, diners are my second home," Hank said dryly to Evelynn. Was it a joke? Even he was't sure. He watched as one of the other ling, the one Mhairi labeled Keith, headed to the restroom. It wasn't his place to worry...for now.

Looking up to the waitress he said with a forced smile, "Well I got coffee already," he said holding up his cup, then added, "so I think I'll have a waffle and some bacon. Now for the bacon I like it crispy, like if you consider crispy a 10, I prefer a 12. I like when you can break it like a thin piece of glass," his force smiling following his hand as he handed back the menu. Hank was just not a man who enjoyed chewy bacon.

Now that his order was taken he could think a little on what he'd heard on the TV. Break-ins and exotic pets? What was that about? He worried about the warning for suspicious activity, unsure what to make of it. He'd think all of his kind could be deemed suspicious by mortals.

Upon Keith's return Hank said, "Nice to meet you both. Haven't seen you around before."

Alex Rivers

Alex introduces himself to the others around the table. He remembers Mhairi from the Forge... the woman with the fans... but everyone else here is new to him.

"So this isn't any kind of planned gathering? Lots of introductions here... are all of us new in town?"

He orders the two-egg breakfast with bacon. And more coffee. Definitely more coffee...

S
    Selena

Sally diligently wrote the orders down, and repeated it verbatim as she scrawled it on the notepad. She cracked her gum while she did and paused here and there as if mentally making sure she got all the orders with the faces right.

But she stopped a moment, looking out the window. Another sign went up on the streetlamp pole. She couldn't make out what it was, but it said MISSING in large letters on the top. "Ya'll see any signs like that in your parts of town?" The kept waitress shook her head. "Shame, it's like loosing family. I don't care what people say. It's not just your critter, it's family." She waited a moment to see if anyone would answer her. Her eyes and face said there was definitely something she hadn't shared about it.

Roll Int+Composure to remember any signs up about missing animals, or anything else missing for that matter. If 3 sucks, you may remember a few. Esuxx, you've seen them everywhere and on every corner.

M
    MrDream

When Keith slouched back from his restroom retreat (checking the bum at the counter for resemblance to John's description as he passed) he took a chair with the women he knew and the other two summer men who were new to him.

Catching Alex's question he responded with a feral grin of summer daring.

"Seems so. Collected to test the fresh meat... or taste it?"

Keith was grateful for the gathering, whichever it wound up being, as he looked the group over with a lieutenant's eye, instead of a stranger's.

The dense and chaotic tangle of uniqueness and similarity - a miniature hedge of human nature to absorb and bleed any predator's impact.

When the waitress' attention returned to him, he ordered a large hazelnut coffee, if only to have something of his own to smell.

At her mention of the signs...
      Keith dimly recalled seeing one of those signs
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-02-27 06:58:37 Keith rolls 4 to recall Signs (10 Again) 9, 7, 3, 2 1 success
    ... and in isolation just being glad it would increase activity at the pound, from passerby encouraged by imagery of a loved pooch, and the searching family.

Attention piqued by mention of adoptive loss...
      Keith offers a little more customer empathy
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-02-27 07:56:33 Keith rolls 5 to draw out the waitress (man+empathy+potential tip fodder) (noreroll) 2, 4, 8, 2, 7 1 success
    ... "Do you know someone missing a family member?"

Evelynn East

Presence 2 (Curious)
    Wizened Inventor/Telluric

Winter Mantle:
    Moment of hush
    Evelynn East

Mask

Short and petite, Evelynn is pale, with a pair of wide brown eyes hidden behind a set of very large glasses.

Mein

A thin, long-fingered woman with eyes that are impossibly large and glassy, giving her the appearance of wearing large, thick glasses when she's not. Her skin is almost translucent in its paleness, and underneath, one can sometimes see the ticking of clockwork parts.

Mantle

The occasional hush falls around her - those moments of silence where surrounding conversations all lull at the same moment seem to happen more often, or perhaps the silences are just more noticeable.
    Pledges

Winter Annual Freehold Pledge

PRE

Evelynn has Eidetic Memory, and I assume this doesn't count as remembering something under stress so I don't need to roll. Selena , let me know if you disagree and I'll make a roll for this one!

Evelynn nodded gravely at the waitress's question. "Oh yeah. There have been... oo, a bunch of new flyers in the few blocks around my place the past week or so alone. It's crazy. Cats, dogs, I even saw one for a missing ferret. I just figured it was because this is a big city. More people living closer together would just see more animals going missing, but I had no idea that pets were being stolen! That's awful! Who would do such a thing?" She looked legitimately disturbed by the idea. "I mean, I know not everyone agrees, but... it cuts the way a kidnapped child would cut. It's just wrong to steal something that someone else truly loves."

Presence
    (Quiet Confidence)
    Striking Looks
    (Mesmerizing Eyes)
    Autumn's Regalia
    (Autumn Mantle)
    Fashion
    (Contacts, Status)
    Mhairi Ankaa

Mask

A slim girl, with raven black hair and grey-blue eyes. She likes wearing silver nail polish.
    Mien

Her skin; like moonlight captured. Quicksilver drips from her fingers, burning up before it lands. Motes of fell fire escape her eyes. In her hair, a galaxy, forming constellations which mimic the sky, changing with the Seasons.
    Mantle

Fear made manifest, Autumn's Regalia embraces the Wisp, as if she is Dread's most blessed daughter.
    Pledges & Other Things

Pledges

Autumn Queen Oath

Plot Stats

Fairy Floss
    Glamour:

House Call
    Glamour:
    HS Choker+1 Defense, -1g. Sparation3 -1g

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Ask-wee-da-eed Telluric

Mhairi blinks lazily smothering another yawn as Keith sits back down and begins talking to the waitress.

'He left?' Mhairi asks herself in a daze. 'Jeez maybe I do need that mega coffee instead of just wanting it.'

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-02-28 13:44:44 Mhairi rolls 4 to Int 2 + Composure 2 to remember noticing the flyers (10 Again) 5, 1, 9, 1 1 success

Mhairi gives the table another bleary blink, her chin firmly in her hand. She vaguely remembered people talking about missing pets, but she hasn't seen any of the flyers herself. Or maybe she had, but within her still sleep fogged mind the memories escape her. At Evelynn's distressed tone, Mhairi focuses more on the conversation. "Someone has been taking people's pets!" Mhairi squeaks out, appalled at the thought.

"I'm new...ish. I got here in time for the-ah Winter...party. So...uh-yeah." Mhairi says answering Alex's question after the waitress leaves. "I-ah think...erm...Evelynn and-ah Hank got here before me...but-uh we make a-a diverse group....kinda. Us now...I mean. Three...erm...hotheads, one scary babe...um...me...that-uh would be me...and-ah-a mellow chick sit in a diner. This...could be the ah-beginning of umm..something awesome....or a-a bad joke..." Mhairi forces herself to wake up a bit to focus on the group at the table, and hopes that the others take her reawakening nervousness as another sign of her sleepiness instead.
    Currently Just a Simple Shade Shard~

Page 2 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 22

You do not have permission to view the list of names.