Ended
Watch

(1509) Council Meeting

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

Seeing as how the space had already been reserved, the Warlock Counselor figured they might as well continue to put it to use and waved the others towards a corner to circle their chairs up in. It was more important that they get the meeting started then anything else, in her mind.

"Alright, so, I have one thing on my agenda that I demand we vote on today," she began, standing behind her seat. "Recently, there was some confusion about the Will of the Council, because the Will had not been written into Law, so I want us to get this cleared up."

The Warlock's eyes pointedly fell upon Aquinas before moving away.

She had her suspicions about why the Hierarch had acted counter to what had been discussed at earlier council meetings, and she was reasonably sure it was a move to remonstrate them from having failed to write their desires into existence, but regardless it was a source of bitterness that would take time to clear.

"At an earlier meeting of this Council, it was made clear, unanimously, that no single person would be allowed to hold more than one Consilium title at a time. This was to ensure that there could be no conflicts of interest and to keep the reins of power diffused so that no individual could compromise the integrity of this Consilium. However, as I said, this was never written down and so the former Thyrsus councilor, Striker, was allowed to act as Sentinel and Councilor. Essentially, as investigator, enforcer, and judge. A clear example of conflicting interests.

"So,"
    she explained, "I demand that we hold a vote to decide whether or not we shall actually write this restriction into Law, or if we shall instead let this lapse itself become Law."
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

2. Likes Teeramus, West liked this post

Flidais listened and waited... God everything was so formal, like really was it so important? It's not like this little consilium had the same import of a proper organisation, what benefit does additional bureaucracy give when there is only 25 people being served? And considering the dangers of the city that are always being talked up, did it not make sense to have multiple sentinels over another councillor? Also demands, is she aiming for alpha or is asking nicely not allowed.

"Do we have the resources for that? We are a small group, and if a councillor has to step up to a role because not enough people have the skills, is that an issue? If there is a concern of conflict of interest, it can be accounted for, aka a sentinel councilor not voting on something they enforced. Then again everyone seems to pull their weight here, councillors investigate issues, cabals deal with issues they find. Overall though, I am neutral, I just wanted to raise those points for consideration, playing devil's advocate if you will, is this really something that needs to be written down as law? With the size of our consilium, it may pay to be agile..." Flidais said, she gave Avis a wink when she mentioned being the 'devil's advocate', what was the point of using that phrase if she couldn't playfully prod the Mastigos Councillor at the same time. *After all, when dealing with predators, sometimes your only option is to be quicker or smarter*
    Flidais
    Thyrsus Mystagogue
    Presence: 3 (Animalistic)

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Fair-skinned and thin, Truce does not appear to get out much, choosing instead to pursue more studious endeavors. He appears as a typical college student, wearing button up shirts, slacks, and a sports coat at times. His hair is dark brown and wavy, his eyes hazel.

Spell List

Spiders: EGuard(3P,self)

PRE

"It is my opinion that no one individual be allowed to hold the power of additional titles. This Consilium is given strength by the laws and principles of the Lex Magica, and the power it gives needs to remain balanced so that it is not abused. I say we write this restriction into the Charter so that there is no confusion. If it becomes an issue where there is no one to fulfill that position then let it remain empty until a worthy Magus steps forward."

Truce makes his position clear to the remaining Councilors and Hierarch so that the vote will go smoothly. However, with Flidais withdrawing her vote there leaves the potential for a stalemate on the revision. Ermac and Emrys, what would they decide?

E
    Ermac

As Ermac watched the others, light reflected off of his glasses. He appeared to have no eyes other than two glowing spheres. Hearing their opinions, the Theurge contributed his. "I agree with the separation of powers," he said succinctly. "Many hands at work make for a lighter load."

Shifting his eyes to Flidais, "By empowering the Consilium, they're more likely to take an active role in its well-being. They're less likely to end up as social loafers." Just ask Einstein.

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"Given that Striker was convicted of two crimes, and I personally witnessed him commit a third," Avis replied with a scowl, "yes, I think it is absolutely necessary that no one person be given the authority that should belong to two, or three, or more. Because this is not an ideal world. Not everyone is wise, and not everyone can be trusted. And, as you pointed out Ms. Devils Advocate," the Advocate for Pandemonium continued with narrowed eyes, "the members of this Consilium already participate in aiding the Consilium so we should be able to survive with a role unfilled until a suitable replacement appears."
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

Emrys

PRE

Emrys almost half payed attention to the Councilor discussion. He didn't really agree with Star or Miach, but serious blows were traded with one of his constituents as he was making his way over. Part of him wondered if he should have said something, but another part of him knew if someone can't defend the integrity of their own ideas there was little hope for others to do it for them. Silence was the only thing he had to offer until finally Star took his leave, ending the distraction.

"Definitely write the law to separate the two for the reasons you and Truce said."

The Enchanter's eyes scanned the Councilors and Heirarch as he sunk slightly into his chair. It wasn't his dislike for Ermac that excluded his bit, but the Enchanter didn't immediately agree that opportunity translated to incentive for participation. It didn't matter how many offices they opened to the rest of the Concilium if no one had the skill or interest to hold them. Since his arrival Emrys hadn't seen the full three Sentinels in office at once despite having the numbers to fill the role, and no one he knew had died yet because of it. Waiting for the right person with the skills to do the job correctly wouldn't hurt anyone.

"That's a majority vote if I'm not mistaken. Did anyone else have any other topics for review? I got a few things but none of them are pressing matters if you guys need the floor."

Presence •• (Bookish)
    Truce

Fair-skinned and thin, Truce does not appear to get out much, choosing instead to pursue more studious endeavors. He appears as a typical college student, wearing button up shirts, slacks, and a sports coat at times. His hair is dark brown and wavy, his eyes hazel.

Spell List

Spiders: EGuard(3P,self)

PRE

"Indeed it is. I imagine we shall present this news at the next meeting, or make the revised charter available for viewing. I've nothing further to present though, if you wish to speak, Councilor Emrys."

Truce folds his hands in front of him patiently as they transition to new topics of discussion.

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

"Good. Then I'll write it into Law and send out an announcement that this law has been passed," Avis said finally rounding her chair and taking a seat. "That's all I wished to discuss. The floor is open to whoever."

Emrys

PRE

Emrys nodded in acknowledgement as Avis wrapped her topic and yielded the floor.

"Two things. The first is a promise I made to Miach some time ago, but haven't had the chance to talk to all of you about." The Enchanter said as his gaze popped from head to head. He had already tried to have this conversation with Aquinas, but it was rather short and didn't involve all of what Emrys had promised to discuss.

"About this time last year Councilor Nous brought a copy of the Lex Magica to a meeting of the Enchanters and asked us what we wanted to keep and toss out as the Council drafted the Charter and our copy of the Lex. The Enchanters voted almost unanimously to keep the Precept of Life, and after the lawsuit with Striker I realized that no wording regarding mundane crimes like assault without magic was incorporated into the Precept of Hubris. We were assured that the intent was to roll both Precepts into Hubris, but the wording doesn't explicitly state that and the people that made those assurances have since left the city. My question for the members of the Council that were present to draft the current legal system is if that intent was shared by the Council when you elected to drop the Precept of Life and Law, and my question for the current Council is if there is still an intent to honor that merging of Precepts."

"My second topic is more of a question then an actual issue. I was wondering if July was giving anyone else the trouble he gave me this meeting. He had a similar outburst at our first Path meeting this year but was at least attempting to be cordial with me until now. I'm wondering if tonight was really just an issue with the books or if he's been giving everyone the same issues and I just haven't been seeing it."

Flidais caught the scowl and returned a smile, maybe she could brew some herbal tea that would help with Avis's disposition, it wouldn't be too hard... probably... Not getting strangled, shot or mauled afterwards may be an issue though.

"So no blind vote or ceremony? We just say how we vote, in that case I will vote for having that written down as law although clearly I missed my chance to vote. Emrys, please pardon my ignorance, I did read through the precepts that was made available to me, but I don't know what the precept of life or law entails and I... Don't see them in my notes." Flidais said whilst opening her little note book to a bookmarked page and giving it a quick scan.
    Flidais
    Thyrsus Mystagogue
    Presence: 3 (Animalistic)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread