51 - 60
DISPLAYED
VtR Questions and Scene Talk

Page 6 of 20 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... Last

Aaron van Valen
    Aaron van Valen

Dragon Lord

Yumyumcrow

Cross reminded me that occult 3 already gives awareness of other supernaturals. Now Prommies are not your every day supernaturals, so I assumed Aaron would know nothing. That being said: Can I make an occult roll to have the name Qashmalim ring a bell?
    Not a native speaker - always aiming to improve

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

Intelligence + Occult -3 penalty due to the rarity / obscurity of the information.
    Dark Passenger

Knot
    Theo
    Occultation
    Knot

Nimbus
    Knot appears, for a moment, as a marionette, roughly carved from wood and painted in a facsimile of life, bound up in a spiderweb tangle of it's own strings, that are pulled every-which way by unseen hands.
    Theo

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks (Roguish Good Looks) 2

JonReeves i don't mean to be an asshole but could you for the love of god read about The Asylum and what kind of place it is on the wiki? While I'm sure you're having great fun describing all the perversions the men get up to with each other and how horrified and out of place Davis is in it's presence, it comes off sort of skeezy when you decide that there's things like a gay donkey show on stage. This is a fetish club at the state capitol, not some barn in Tijuana.
    no offense but do i look like i understand anything?

4. Likes West, Dark Passenger liked this post
    J
    Colonel John Jefferson Davis
    Striking Looks
    (Rakish)
    Manipulation
    (Finesse)
    Allies
    (Unions)
    Barfly
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Alder John Jefferson Davis Lord Pursuivant

Striking Looks 2 (Rakish)
    Manipulation 4 (Finesse)
    Fame 1 (Entertainment)
    Kasterborous
    Adam Exlibrist
    John Davis Scenes

Sorry, I will dial it back. I've never been to a fetish place, not 100% sure about what goes on in such places.

Twist Scenes

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give an update to the post a couple of weeks ago regarding a house rule that was created in response to a situation that was was the catalyst to a complete blow out of emotions in the VtR OOC discussion thread.

The rule focused around a specific behavior, and "introduced" consequences for similar repeats of that behavior in the future. I use the quotes around the word "introduced" because as I've navigated more through the history of the site along with past and present storyteller conversations I've come to understand that most of what I've made formal fixing or addressing on to date didn't actually need my formal fixing or addressing, as there were already policies in place that were implemented years ago for those very situations.

In regards to the aforementioned house rules:

1. At times players have decided to suicide their toons in a way that appears contradictory to the play style the characters have shown. Doing so can cause a disingenuous feel to the scene, and often can break the immersive feel of a well told story. We do ask that if you would like to remove your character from play, by suicide or some other method, to please reach out to the Storyteller in charge of the character's venue. This is not a guarantee of some kind of fanfare exit, but it does give your storyteller the option of using your character for some plot fodder, and additionally some insight as to what your struggles were with enjoying the character that they may possibly be able to give advice on to help you enjoy this or your next character more. Additionally, out of respect, please do not use other player's characters arbitrarily as means to complete a suicide unless it has already been discussed and agreed upon with the player. While inter-character conflict does happen and deaths do occur- completely dropping it spontaneously and uncharacteristically on another player is not the best course of action to off your character. This is not of any impact to inter-character conflicts, and is not intended to discourage a combative resolution to such a conflict.

2. Personal attacks won't be tolerated on the forum or discord. To be clear, you can disagree with each other, and debate fervently as long as you're doing so like adults. When it devolves into insults and name calling is when I start having an exceptional issue with it.

Neither of the above items actually require any form of a house rule. They are actions of player to player courtesy that have always fallen within the jurisdiction of the venue's Storyteller to enforce as needed. If a storyteller has noticed a PC death or behavior is excessively problematic for other players, the Storyteller may rule that a temporary, or permanent ban from the venue is in order before a new character can be made. Permanent bans will typically only be for repeated, egregious, or otherwise directly hostile behavior towards other players (not just PCs), including but not limited to breaches of site rules (no rape, etc).

That being said, the previously mentioned house rules are voided so that there will be no confusion on if people are being barred from playing certain ways or doing certain things or taking certain actions and unintentionally falling under one of those rules. You can play your characters in any way you feel appropriate in accordance to forum guidelines, just always be aware that ignoring a common courtesy among your fellow players may have consequences if your Storyteller feels it to be appropriate for the overall health and well being of the venue.

If you ever feel such a consequence is unwarranted you'll be welcome to submit a mail to nwodappeals at gmail.com and I'll take a look.

M
    Matrixchild

In my mind Status has no mechanical effect, so I think it should be correlated to your position in the covenant or clan unless there are enough people to vote. If it actually gave some mechanical benefit then I agree to revisit the idea of buying up status.

C
    Cross

Status does have a mechanical effect here. It is a straight bonus on your social rolls vs. others in the same sphere. I'll leave the remainder of the consideration to YYC.

W
    Woland

I think we need to revisit the status system the limited number of players we have. For example, we have 1 Mekhet, how is Melissa supposed to gain status as Mekhet. Or if we have a carthian come in, how are they supposed to gain status since we can't buy status after submission? It seems a bit sketchy to me.
    While I do agree that an automatic one dot in Clan status seems fair (beacuse even if you are not Acknowledged by your Priscus, then this means you were the first member of your clan in the city, and being the most senior is worth a status bump in itself), I think we shouldn't go as far as extending "automatic" bumps to Covenant status.

It's not ideal that you can't raise through the ranks, but that's beacause there are no ranks to raise through. Covenant status as I see it is based on how efficient you are in furthering the goals of the group and embodying its ideals, and if other people either don't care about those goals and ideals or directly oppose them, then there's no organic way this status can grow. In the absence of the alternative, I would simply count on the fluctuation of Domain population (my previous character here was a Sanctified Nos, the only member of its Covenant and one of two Nossies. Soon after there were 3 of us L+S and 4 Nos)

Twist Scenes

Hi everyone,

I need help.
    I need help understanding how to play to my dots because I'm having a difficult time making it work well now that Jack is starting to become a little more active. I read over the Devil is in the Dots thread and so I tried to play appropriately to that. I don't want to offend the players but I need to call out a couple of recent examples to myself just so I can get a better understanding of where I'm reading these situations wrong so I can end up playing my character more appropriately.

First, Court:

A presence 1 Sheriff walks up and attempts what could arguably be read as intimidating Arturo and Jack for speaking not in her favor. Meanwhile, my many dots in Persuasion, Intimidation, Presence and Manipulation with a specialty in negotiations gets reduced to "Crying out and making a scene". I backed off of that because 1) Lina does have status authority and 2)Harpy had Jack's back but I just left an OOC note correcting the inner monologue suggestion, aside from my disagreeing completely that the front-line comment wasn't a threat. That would be up to the player though, and since Lina's inner monologue suggests it wasn't a threat, then Jack's words also weren't accusing her of threatening. After all, he said he believed it- because it would be silly to drop a threat like that. It still raises the question why you'd put a bookworm/lawyer on the front lines.

Second, Planning for Sod:

Trying to negotiate against boons with a presence 1 (insecure) mekhet, initially responds like dirty harry and so I said fine, I'll throw some dice at this to represent Jack's powers of persuasion and negotiation since Mitnick doesn't seem to be so insecure anymore. I do, even using the Prince's stated words from Court as leverage in the negotiation and my cutting a deal action is reduced to "whining and bitching until he gets his way" , coupled with what is certain to be a lifetime grudge while simultaneously skipping the Priscus in posting order who Jack had waited on to arrive before continuing the debate because he hoped she would side with him and end the debate before it could even continue because surprise, Jack's virtue is Prudence.

So, am I misunderstanding the Devil in the Dots? If so, did I waste all of my spends in social skills and attributes? Because right now they feel like they don't mean shit.

Thanks!

1) People SHOULD be playing to what you have on your mini-sheet as public knowledge. It happens sometimes with players missing details and not fully understanding how to cater to a narrative (I've had to add details in my signature to clarify my Changeling PC's demeanor).

2) Human error will always be a thing? I take it with a grain of salt and sometimes fire an OOC message if there's a communication issue. We shouldn't dog-pile players for minor things in posts because it creates an obsessive atmosphere where people freeze in scenes, terrified that they missed a tiny detail after reading posts for the 20th time.

3) For Vampire, a lot of players are buying into the Curse aspect that Kindred are inherently douchey to each other and will actively mistrust and spin narratives to benefit themselves. We don't know how another will play their PC in terms of experience/Clan Curse/Humanity/Blood Potency/etc. Mean Girl Simulator sometimes means a PC will actively lie or press a narrative onto another. This can be a frustrating experience so I encourage people to check in when they are feeling OOC shit on constantly to separate PC motives from OOC bullying.

4) There are a lot of moving pieces with PC interaction versus stats, including narratives built outside of the current scene (PC rapport, PC power dynamics, holistic political considerations, etc). The Storytelling system encourages a blend of RP and Dice, so when I'm confused on something I'll just roll. I actually make a point to ignore when players inject how "honest" or "true" their PC feels about something unless my PC is tossing Empathy or they are tossing Expression/Socialize/Empathy.

5) For Presence scores I try and streamline my PC paying more attention to the one with the higher scores. Tip for other readers to honour those spends!

12. Likes Killian, Psychangel liked this post
Page 6 of 20 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread