Ended
Watch

What do you call this?

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    S
    Sasha

The drive over was different. Things still felt strange; after all, whose truck was she still driving. The radio in the truck still worked, although the dial turn annoyed her. Especially when a certain song came on, she couldn’t turn the knob fast enough.

L’aire didn’t know what direction this was going. There were still things unresolved. She couldn’t get past them no matter how hard she tried. It was the unknowing that bothered her the most. The ‘why’ of it all. What did she do that was so wrong to have someone leave without a trace.

She shook her head while driving. A song came on, one of her favorite artists, that she enjoyed and she turned it up a little more than normal. It was for the purpose of clearing her head, if anything. Strangely enough the lyrics fit her thoughts exactly.

So, after their long dancing and discussion at the Winter event, agreeing to try things again was what she was doing. L’aire didn’t know what Kyle meant by ‘trying’ things again though. Sure, everything kinda fell to pieces after the light festival. But he wanted to give her another chance… at what though?

Decidedly, they were going to dinner. The Dancer dressed up a little more than usual. Dinner and what, was the question for after. Something to discuss while eating, she guessed. As she pulled up, and walked to Kyle’s apartment door she suddenly couldn’t remember where they were going to eat. Oh, lovely, bang up job, forgetting stuff already.

Dressed as she was, the Fairest knocked gently on the door.

outfit

Kyle Ferlen

Mask

Kyle is handsome, with a strong jawline that is usually marred with stubble or an unkempt beard. He has short, messy brown hair that is often hidden beneath a hat. When he moves about he is accompanied by the sound of rustling foliage. He has bright, expressive brown eyes.
    Mien

Mien

Kyle's hair - his real hair - is comprised of short, tangled vines. He sports hornlike growths of twisted branches behind his pointed, elegant ears. His skin tone is tinted with the slightest hint of green, and is covered with crisscrossing white scars on his back and arms. His hair on his face and body is green and fibrous like the tufts on an ear of corn. Shifting vines grow from his palms, which are usually coiled around his hands like bandages. His irises are dull and pale.

PRE

Kyle is a casual guy. Special occasions aside - for which he barely dresses appropriately for - he's most comfortable in street clothes. As he stands in front of a mirror, seeing the strangely warped image staring back at him, he just can't take anything he wears seriously. Sure, he toyed around with the idea of a tie. Something a little formal and dressy, maybe?

Yeah... no. This ain't workin.

He settles on a loose cap, t-shirt and jeans after tossing something resembling a suit onto the bed. And almost immediately after he realizes how much of a mess his apartment is a knock comes from the door. Kyle shakes his head, laughing on the inside at himself. I gotta get this apartment situation under control. Too late to tidy up and already dressed to go, Kyle makes his way to the front door. A quick peek through the little spy-hole to make sure he isn't opening the door for a monster from the Hedge aaaaaaaaand...

It's her.

"Hey. Thanks for comin to pick me up. So... what are we in the mood for?" He leans sideways in the door frame to obscure as much of the state of his apartment as he can. "I'll eat pretty much anythin, but didja want to check out that Ramen House on 1831 or the Café Europa?" He says the name of the last in his best 'snooty European' voice - an indistinct accent somewhere between French and the queen's English.

S
    Sasha

L’aire held a smile on her face when the door opened. She stood poised, it was her nature after all. His lean was obvious, too obvious not to notice. She liked that he made a little extra effort with the jacket. It made him look urban chic or maybe it was hipster. The Fairest didn't really follow men's fashion all that well.

“Oh, good. I mean, good that we hadn’t decided. I thought we had and I forgot.” The Fairest probably shouldn’t have revealed her thoughts, but too late now. “Uh, Ramen… I’m not really sure about that. I’ve never been there. I don’t think.” Although she could have been a while ago and she chose to forget. “Café Europa sounds kinda different though…” Snickering to his accent. "Should we try there?"

The Fairest tipped her head a little one way. Her brows playfully knitted together. “Is there something I should know about?” Nodding toward whatever was behind him.

“Are you hiding something in there… that I may not want to know about from some strange place…” L’aire was careful not to say Hedge or something indicating what they were. There could be loyalists or whoever in his building.

Kyle Ferlen

Mask

Kyle is handsome, with a strong jawline that is usually marred with stubble or an unkempt beard. He has short, messy brown hair that is often hidden beneath a hat. When he moves about he is accompanied by the sound of rustling foliage. He has bright, expressive brown eyes.
    Mien

Mien

Kyle's hair - his real hair - is comprised of short, tangled vines. He sports hornlike growths of twisted branches behind his pointed, elegant ears. His skin tone is tinted with the slightest hint of green, and is covered with crisscrossing white scars on his back and arms. His hair on his face and body is green and fibrous like the tufts on an ear of corn. Shifting vines grow from his palms, which are usually coiled around his hands like bandages. His irises are dull and pale.

PRE

A smile lights his face up when he makes her laugh. He kinda likes the sound of it. "Sure. I hear its actually decently priced, too. Got good reviews."

Kyle turns to look over his shoulder, then back at her. His face flushes a little. "Just a terrible mess. I was hopin you wouldn't have to see it. Still a work in progress, ya know?" He smiles again to cover for his embarrassment.

"Oh, forgot somethin... one last 'wardrobe' touch." Kyle's visage of a horned, verdant satyr fades to be replaced by his mundane appearance. He offers a lopsided grin. "I don't wanna take any chances. I draw enough attention to myself with the music thing." He steps out and locks the door, then offers her his arm.

"Shall we, fair lady?" he says with a waggling of his eyebrows.

-1 Glamour for Hardened Mask.

S
    Sasha

Nodding as they agreed on the restaurant, L’aire backed up from the door. Shaking her head with an added singular shrug of her shoulder. “Really, it’s okay. You haven’t been here long, Kyle. I get it.” A soft smile at the end.

The Onyx froze standing before him, her own Mask hardening as his did. A look of concern on her face. She’d been so caught up in the worrying and bewilderment of the Minstrel as of late, it was the one thing she had forgotten before leaving. “Yes, oh yes, you’re right.” Embarrassed, her cheeks blushed on her human form. The glow had subsided, even though a seemingly natural radiance still lit up her skin. Nodding, “Yes, we shall.”

Turning away from him to walk down the hall, making an effort to disguise her demeanor. “For a short while, I didn’t care about that. For myself that is.”

Damn, why did I say that? I really shouldn't have said that.

Kyle Ferlen

Mask

Mien

Mien

PRE

The look of relief is evident on his face, even if he tries to play it off. One of these days he'll get a big record deal and be able to afford something better. Soon... I hope.

He watches her face as the glow fades, looking at her with approval. Well, maybe not 'approval' as much as a mute acceptance of something he knows he can't change. They all have to hide in some way - and always will. He's a little disappointed that she doesn't take his arm, but he follows after without making a fuss. Close on her heels, as they make their way through the musty hallway to the stairs, Kyle almost completely forgets about it. His mind is already on the food, the drive, what he will say... all of those little details people worry about on a date.

This time he's sure that's what it is.

"Why's that? I mean... there's nothin wrong with having your own way of doin things; don't get me wrong." He isn't sure what else to say about it. Not every one like them does go out in public with a hardened Mask. Kyle just finds it odd that she would say 'for herself'. Did she stop caring for a while? "What changed?" is all he can manage.

S
    Sasha

In an instant, the Dancer realized if she spoke it, it would all be real. The cold hard truth, that once she was someone’s everything, then quickly nothing; an abruptly discarded trinket that ended up shelved in a closet forever.

As cold as the Season of Winter was, their Court was still warm. Accepting her back in a unspoken Wintery hug, except for Swilla with a real hug, she didn’t expect it at all. Picking her up off that shelf and placing her back into the world. Still, she felt like she teetered on the edge; as if in an instant, the shelf would shake and the ice sculpture would break. “I really shouldn’t, ever. It’s part of my um… charter?” L’aire flipped her hand outward, trying to find a fitting veiled word. “So to speak…”

“I just realized it’s a good idea for everyone to um… keep up those appearances. Even if it wasn’t about me.” Struggling to find whatever reason would satiate his question. An effort to keep him at arm's length.

Finally, they were at the truck. The Fairest felt relieved for once since she was about to change the subject. Once they were both in, and L’aire turned over the engine, she sweetly asked. “Since we can’t really talk about this during dinner, would you care to tell me the incident with… the… um… roses.” Gently speaking of the beautiful, but apparently menacing flower.

Turning toward the Minstrel, her face caring and kind. “Tonight is for you. I mean, your sharing… of things.” Her hands gripped the steering wheel tight for a moment. “I want to hear about you.” Breathing, hardly able to spit out what she wanted to say, L’aire turned back to the windshield and backed out of the lot.

Kyle Ferlen

Mask

Mien

Mien

PRE

Kyle nods slowly; still pretty sure he isn't getting the whole picture, but willing to accept her explanation for now. If she wanted to say more about it she probably would have. "It's a good policy."

The Minstrel follows her to the truck and hops in on the opposite side. A quick glance at L'aire is met with a question he'd been expecting. He makes a little laughing sound, putting one hand to his forehead and looking down. She's asking nicely enough. Heck, even if she weren't, Kyle had wanted to tell her about it anyways. What's that thing people say about confronting your fears? After his little show of embarrassment - which is what it is - he smiles back at her.

"Alright, sure. I'll be an open book." A pause. Another reassuring smile. Or damn near close to one. "I've seen some scary shit on my little 'trip' to Arcadia. My Keeper was scary, sure. Scary and beautiful. But not the scariest thing I've seen." He's talking quickly, almost nervously, and using his hands for emphasis as he looks between Sasha and the street ahead of them.

"I sorta lived in this little courtyard. It was like somethin you would see in an adult version of 'Alice in Wonderland'. Perfectly green lawn with artsy topiaries and maze-like hedges, right? Ivy covered gazebos and flowerbeds of every possible kind. Especially rosebushes. I lived, ate, performed and slept in the courtyard for..." He looks up and off to the side as he does the math. "About ten years. And every night, as soon as my head hit the - well, ground - I would hear a sort of writhing and rustling. It would stop as soon as I opened my eyes... but I swear to God the rosebushes were always in a new configuration when I woke up. Like they were moving around by themselves." He knows it isn't all that far fetched for goings on in Arcadia, but it still sounds hard to believe. He shakes his head.

"So anyways, on the night that I... escaped. I, uh, got a hold of this whip - a viney, thorny thing that my Keeper loved using for discipline - and took it back to her. I'm not proud of what I did, but I know there wasn't any other way. So I kept hitting her with the whip. She was bleeding all over... green, sappy stuff. And as I brought the whip down again and again I could hear that slithering, writhing sound. When I turned to look, though, they didn't stop moving. All nasty, hungry mouths full of rows of green teeth. They fell on her and..." Another pause. He looks out the window. I'll never forget the sounds I heard as I was running away. I never looked back... I don't even know if she survived."

9. Likes Gwydden liked this post
    S
    Sasha

L’aire felt a thud through her body. Kyle said he’d be an open book. And the Fairest had not been thus far. She kept something hidden from him still and she wasn’t sure how to tell him or if to tell him at all. What had mattered to her and still crept around in the back of her head, she wasn’t ready to verbalize yet.

Imagining as she drove toward the Café, a twisted version of the fairytale played in her head like the Minstrel described. His description of the roses made her skin crawl.

“I can’t say I’ll ever look at a rose in the same manner again.” No regret for the flower, but L’aire was definitely unnerved by his recanting of the experience. “I’m sure you weren’t imagining it at all. I’ve see Rick do some crafting with the Hedge. I don’t doubt that certain things can manipulate on their own."

Still driving, the Dancer winced and jerked a little when Kyle mentioned discipline. As he continued speaking of how he managed to get away, it was unsettling. It was necessary to do certain things to escape Arcadia, and slightly disturbing that Changelings were capable of doing unspeakable things.

After a few moments of silence, clearing the images from her head. L’aire softly said. “What matters is that you got out. You did what you had to do.” He may have not realized it, but there was a hint that showed he may have had a little remorse for doing what he did. Just a faint concern or mention about the woman surviving was more than enough to see that it was probably something he’d never do again unless necessary.

Then struck with guilt, she took one hand off the stearing wheel and moved it to his wrist. “Is that where these came from?” Her eyes still on the road, but she side glanced with the next statement. “I’m sorry if I thought they were pretty or uh what I said before. I guess it’s like saying a scar is beautiful. Or uhm… something.” L’aire’s hand quickly retreated. “At any rate, I apologize.”

Already, she felt like the night started off on the wrong foot again. It was a moment where her Keeper's voice slipped into her head. 'You're prettier when you're silent.'

Kyle Ferlen

Mask

Mien

Mien

PRE

Kyle doesn't respond, at first. He just stares blankly out the window. Completely lost in a thought or memory. After a quiet sigh, he turns back to her. "Right. What I had to do..." He doesn't feel like a smile is appropriate, but he manages at least to soften the worried creases in his brow. Kyle doesn't like fixating on the negative things. That much is certain.

He doesn't mind her touch. Doesn't really react either. He just looks down where her hand meets his wrist. Just as quickly she's gone again. After finishing the story he feels more like he's reliving a burden rather than relieving it. Kyle blinks a few times, trying to get his head back together. "I don't really know. Maybe? It's hard to remember when those things actually grew in. I'd like to think they have nothin to do with it. Better that way, right?" He looks at her imploringly. "Better to not think I'm some kind of..." He doesn't finish it, but anyone could have finished his sentence for him.

Monster.

The Minstrel makes a look of frustration. Mostly with himself. He shakes his head as if admonishing himself. "Don't listen to me... this is the kind of crap I promised myself to stay away from. I'm not about bringin people down." This time he does manage to smile.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.