Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
(SVD) Love Somebody

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

To human eyes he looks slightly taller than average, with a lean, athletic build. His brown skin gives away his Mohawk ancestry, complementing his equally brown eyes and dark hair. He displays a military-styled haircut, shorter to the sides, and sports a few scars across his body and a particularly visible one in the form of claw marks across his face and neck. A very intense scent of forest, a mixing of pine needles, tree sap, and animal fur, characterizes him.
    Mien

Those who can see through the Mask observe black-and-white feathers to the sides of his face, that fuse seamlessly with his skin and hairline and close to his golden eyes. His teeth are unusually sharp, displaying fangs that are hard to categorize as belonging to a specific predator, although they most closely resemble a wolf's or some other canine's.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Oh, the Mountain's onto me. Or maybe he thought he did. He doubted he could suspect what he was really after, because what he was really after seemed strange and confusing even to himself. Green, however, was a good little soldier, much like he used to be, and might overlook details like that. Truth be told, he liked the guy. The thing about people like him was that, more often than not, they were terrible at faking emotion. He admired that. It was honest. The kind of honest he was better off with.

So he finished his drink in one quick gulp, put it down on the bar and followed him. The Mountain didn't seem to be in a rush, so he took a look in Chris' direction to see what he was doing. He almost tripped. Well, now I just feel dirty. Now he could get an idea of why Sasha hadn't wanted to dance when he asked her, back at that bar. This didn't seem like the kind of stuff meant to be shown so casually. He couldn't help staring, stepping distractedly after Green until she finished. Beautiful was the word for it, he supposed. Or better yet, inspiring.

He could use inspiration. He turned his attention back to Green and the person he was leading him too. This was his chance. A chance, anyway, one he wasn't about to waste. Her Majesty was certainly beautiful, and she was certainly regal, but even more pertinent to his interests, she was haunting. She couldn't lead Winter without her share of Sorrow, now could she? He waited for the Mountain or the queen to talk first. He was just the new guy in town, and courtesy seemed appropriate.

Freehold Pledge: Winter
    Allies (Clubs) 1
    Allies (Emergency Services) 1
    Allies (Unions) 3
    Malcolm Green, the Mountain

WP: 4/4
    Health: 10/10
    Giant
    Mantle: Bubble of crisp, cold, air surrounds him. Frost rimes his head and shoulders, tracing icy epaulettes.
    Malcolm Green

Sun Banisher's Oath

(+1 Investigation, +1 Intimidation) - Winter 2016

Freehold Pledge

(+1 Streetwise) - Winter 2016

Dragon's Bane Pledge

(+3 Faerie Favour) - Spring 2017
    Greens Scenes

Dragon Giant|

PRE

Green plodded over to where the Winter Queen sat, so poised and perfect: a rose frozen in time and space. He inclined his head formally, making his respect known. And then, with a jerk of his chunky thumb, he gestured to the Hunterheart.

"My Queen. Nathan here wants a word."

The mountain moved to one side, and waited.

Katrin Byeli
    Katrin Byeli

Fairest (Treasured/Snowskin)
    Winter Mantle 5
    Presence 5 (Regal), Striking Looks 4 (Coldly Beautiful)
    Rigid Mask, Gentrified Bearing
    Freehold Status 5
    Mien

Katrin's Mien, which is rarely seen outside of the Hedge, is not all that much different in appearance from her Mask.

The difference is she is unerringly perfect. (Gentrified Bearing, Striking looks 4)

Her skin is pale with the slight touches of blue and luminescent as if she was partially carved out of porcelain and ice. Her hair, like her eyes, are the dark black of onyx with the harsh clarity of ice.

PRE

Katrin had just finished handing out the last of the cards and had settled once again on her chair as Nathan and Green approached. To the Elemental's usual succinct wordplay, Katrin offered a smirk.

"Certainly, Mr. Green," Queen Byeli replied, eyes moving ever-so-slowly from the mountain to the handsome man with him. "Mr. Griffin, I presume?"

There was a tone there, a slight lightness to the way she used Nathan's surname. Was she playing?
    Presence 5 (Regal) | Striking Looks 4 (Coldly Beautiful)
    Rigid Mask | Gentrified Bearing |(Mask hardened) | (speaks with a Russian accent)

4. Likes Gwydden, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

To human eyes he looks slightly taller than average, with a lean, athletic build. His brown skin gives away his Mohawk ancestry, complementing his equally brown eyes and dark hair. He displays a military-styled haircut, shorter to the sides, and sports a few scars across his body and a particularly visible one in the form of claw marks across his face and neck. A very intense scent of forest, a mixing of pine needles, tree sap, and animal fur, characterizes him.
    Mien

Those who can see through the Mask observe black-and-white feathers to the sides of his face, that fuse seamlessly with his skin and hairline and close to his golden eyes. His teeth are unusually sharp, displaying fangs that are hard to categorize as belonging to a specific predator, although they most closely resemble a wolf's or some other canine's.

+1
    SL
    PRE

By all rights he should have been alarmed. It wasn't just that she knew his surname, which he didn't remember mentioning to all that many people, it was the way she said it. Does she...? How could...? Maybe if it was someone else, or a couple months earlier, he would have been more worried. This woman could screw him over a great deal if she chose to, he had no doubt, but he was willing to bet that she would never cross that line, the one he genuinely feared. No, his uneasiness wasn't fear. Her Majesty was looking straight at him, her tone surprisingly playful. She was even more stunning up close, with the kind of regal bearing that you only really get in fairy tales. This was a different yet not entirely unfamiliar feeling, and he grasped tentatively at it, trying to give it a name.

"I-I..." he stuttered.

Was it the wine? He really should stop drinking. Or was it just the whole Valentine's Day paraphernalia that was getting to him? Maybe looking at Sasha's dance had been a poor decision. Watch the Fair Folk dance and you'll be Lost forever, right? He wasn't sure what the hell had tripped him up, but all of a sudden he felt incongruously like his much younger, much more innocent self. He hoped the feathers would help hide the blush, at least.

"Ah, I'm..." he must sound like an idiot. He cleared his throat and shot a side glance at Green, wondering what the hell he must think was going on. Everything he had wanted to say had slipped his mind all of a sudden. "Yes. Griffin. Right. Honored."

Well, I'm not sure that was an improvement. It seemed he would have to improvise.

Just barely enough...
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-03-03 19:54:31 Nathan rolls 4 to remember (Int+Com) (10 Again) 4, 10, 1, 2, 4 1 success

"Uh..." he doubted for a second. "Kak pazhivayesh?" He had a feeling he was butchering the pronunciation. Oh, well. It was not like it could get any worse. He shrugged apologetically. "Eezveeneete. Ya plokha gavaryoo pa rooskee." He grimaced. "That, ah, hmm..." he rasped again, straightening up. "I'm sorry to say I've just gone over half my vocabulary," he bowed his head, swallowing hard. "At your service."

He had a feeling the Mountain was regretting bringing him over.

6. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Katrin Byeli
    Katrin Byeli

Fairest (Treasured/Snowskin)
    Winter Mantle 5
    Presence 5 (Regal), Striking Looks 4 (Coldly Beautiful)
    Rigid Mask, Gentrified Bearing
    Freehold Status 5
    Mien

Katrin's Mien, which is rarely seen outside of the Hedge, is not all that much different in appearance from her Mask.

The difference is she is unerringly perfect. (Gentrified Bearing, Striking looks 4)

Her skin is pale with the slight touches of blue and luminescent as if she was partially carved out of porcelain and ice. Her hair, like her eyes, are the dark black of onyx with the harsh clarity of ice.

PRE

A crook of the head, eyes bore into Nathan.

"The evening is a success, one cannot complain, no?" she replies, voice as smooth as ice. "Your Russian is not perfect but they do say it is the thought that counts, yes?"

"My service?" Katrin questioned. Did her voice change? It was hard to tell. "To what service can you provide, Mr. Griffin?"
    Presence 5 (Regal) | Striking Looks 4 (Coldly Beautiful)
    Rigid Mask | Gentrified Bearing |(Mask hardened) | (speaks with a Russian accent)

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

Now's my chance. He felt anxious, like he had to reach out quickly and hold it tight before it escaped his grasp, maybe forever. He looked away for a moment, at Sasha and Chris still dancing, looking happily in love. He took a deep breath before returning his gaze to the icy, majestic beauty in front of him. This could be fruitless. This could be his doom. But if his Durance had taught him anything, it was to take risks. The right risks, he hoped.

"Anything Your Majesty desires," it was barely above a whisper, and he still felt more than a little flustered. But as he finished his lips began curving ever so slightly. "Y'know, when I was a kid, I wanted to be a hero. Like my father, you see?" he made a pause, the smile going away as quickly as it came. "So much for that."

He took his right hand up to his face. Whether to touch his scars or his feathers it was hard to tell.

"Then I got these. I like to think of it as a second chance. One more opportunity to go at it."

He put his hands in his pockets and looked away again. Green was standing right there. Not the audience he had expected to have for this speech, but maybe it was for the best. He continued without looking at the queen.

"I... I get the feeling you know a fair bit about mistakes and second chances yourself. And I'm willing to bet you know more about me and what I can do than you let out," he looked back at her and tried holding her gaze. Her eyes were cold. "Maybe we can help each other out. Maybe we'll both be surprised."

He was being dreadfully honest. He was making, or at least insinuating, quite the daring promises. That kind of foolishness was beyond Shakesperean, beyond Quixotian. My kingdom for a chance at tilting at windmills. Too late for having second thoughts.

Closed Thread