Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(1502) Meeting of the Mighty

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    A
    Asp

The Provost of the Obrimos moved about in the little kitchen area at the Circle of Creation, having set the table for the five Angels in town. Ermac, the former Councilor. Weavebreaker, a long-time Talon. Star, their new Councilor, having stepped forward at the clusterfuck that the last Consilium meeting was.

And Einstein.

Oh, Einstein.

Pizza had been acquired, along with a Caesar salad from Papa John's. There was also some beer, coffee, soda, water - she'd hit the store up and gotten a few things together. Vanilla Coke was definitely available. Asp suspected she might need it tonight as they struck at the aftermath.

In the back of Asp's mind was a little voice that wondered if Ermac was doing okay. He certainly was a committed fellow; the Lex just hadn't worked out in his favor. Another voice, more powerful, was asking a question. Why?

The curiosity and concern was burning as she grabbed a slice of pepperoni and some salad, sitting down at the round table to begin to eat as she waited for the others to arrive. She placed her big purse on the floor and settled in.

Status (Academia) ••
    Occultation •••
    Einstein
    Nimbus

Einstein's Nimbus manifests as a light surrounding her, often covering up her features with its brightness. When triggered by her Vice, it takes on an eerie blue glow and seems to be coming from some opening behind her. When triggered by her Virtue, it manifests as an angelic glow about her, sometime accompanied by a halo-seeming thing above her head.

PRE

Einstein didn't particularly want to go to the meeting. Most of the Mighty were Diamond, and that told her everything she needed to know about which way any vote would skew. But, she might as well. It would be good to know ahead of time what was going to be implemented, and she couldn't trust Ermac to make sure the FC was aware. He'd already failed to do that.

Not that she was going to show up unprepared. Her spells were up, carefully woven to hide in her Pattern, and she was ready to cast more if the need happened by. Even Parliament, on her shoulder, was ready for a fight, knowing that most of his Essence was likely to be sapped to sustain her magic.

She entered and, finding the kitchen where they were gathering, walked over to the table, looking coolly at the snake already sitting. "Asp."

Supernal Vision P1, Unseen Shield P2. -2 Mana to Cloak.
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-02-05 13:38:35 Einstein rolls 9 to Supernal Vision (Wits + Occult + Prime + HS) (10 Again) 8, 3, 4, 1, 6, 6, 7, 7, 1 1 success
    2015-02-05 13:37:39 Einstein rolls 6 to Unseen Shield (Science + Forces) (10 Again) 4, 10, 2, 3, 9, 4, 4 2 successes

Weavebreaker

Obrimos | Adamantine Arrow | Consilium

Gnosis ●●● | WP ●●●●●●● | Mana 9(12/3)

Ritual Spells Active

Supernal Vision(Cloaked)(Month)Potency 10

Transform Aura(Cloaked)(Month)Potency 9
    Current Scenes

The Descent of the Circle

Phantasmal Armor - 6
    Supernal Vision - 5
    Mage Armor - 3

Mana - 7
    Willpower - 6

All the Kings Men

Supernal Vision (Cloaked) - 5
    Transform Aura (Sleeper)(Cloaked) - 4
    Mana 7
    Witch Hunter

Health:
    Mana
    Willpower:
    Armor 2
    Defense 2

Vulgur Spells in Scene - 4 (+2 Paradox)

Spell Tolerance - 2 (@3(-1))
    Active Spells - 3/6
    Read Matrices - 1
    Unseen Shield - 3
    Reduced Friction - 2

PRE

The Circle was one of two places where Weavebreaker had spent most of her time in the years she had been Sacramento. The other was Sacramento State University, or Banisher-U, where she had lived and attended college since she had moved here. The danger of it all was of little consequence to her, as her life before Sacramento held similar perils.

Weavebreaker held a different perspective from her experience. She knew the fallacy of eradicating Banishers; it was on the same level of hubris as keeping the world sleeping or eradicating the Awakened. She could kill every Banisher on campus, and others would spontaneously awaken to that calling. It was the nature of existence; a perpetual conflict.

The Glo, on the other hand, was the focus of her concern. The activities on campus weren't the normal modus operandi for Banisher activity. In the Southeast, most were solitary, with the rare cell occurring out of necessity. She knew it to be much the same everywhere, which gave her a inkling of what was happening in Sacramento.

Sacramento

It was another issue of concern for her. She had been around long enough to know that Sacramento had reached out to San Francisco for help, and received Avalon.

Enter Aquinas to save Sacramento from San Francisco, when evidence came to light that Avalon was trying to annex. The problem Weavebreaker had was no evidence was ever presented and she had no clue where Aquinas had came from. She didn't trust Avalon and she sure as hell didn't trust Aquinas...

Not much had changed, in her eyes and she couldn't help but wonder how ironic it would be if Aquinas held the agenda he accused Avalon of having...

[ri]http://data3.whicdn.com/images/155452179/superthumb.jpg[/ri]What else?

Cabal?
    Falling apart... Leo Missing... Jonokuchi leaving... Striker...

Order?
    Spent more time working out new leadership then figuring out what happened to old leadership; Leo, friend and cabal mate.

Path?
    Non-elected Councillor, who she probably would have voted for. She didn't hold it against Star in the least for stepping up and recalled his feelings with what Leo and Ixidor were trying to do last July.

Weavebreaker still found it unsettling that almost all the positions within the city were filled by two Cabals, but she had known them for a while and doubted diabolical intent. It was still a scary notion as it was easier for a puppet council...

It was hard to put a finger on all that was wrong and maybe she was just paranoid; growing up around Banisher's had that effect.

Weavebreaker was shaken from all her thoughts as she strolled into the kitchen and her eyes fell upon Asp and Einstein. She offered a quick wave of her hand, complimented with a friendly "Hello."

Weavebreaker looked different, and it was more than just a change of hair color, though it was hard to say exactly how...

Supernal Vision(Cloaked)(4),Transform Aura(Sleeper)(3)
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-02-05 14:43:29 Weavebreaker rolls 11 to Transform Aura (Sleeper) (10 Again) 6, 6, 1, 9, 5, 1, 7, 8, 5, 7, 9 3 successes
    2015-02-05 14:42:42 Weavebreaker rolls 12 to Supernal Vision (Cloaked) (10 Again) 8, 5, 4, 10, 3, 2, 3, 8, 5, 9, 3, 2, 4 4 successes
    Obrimos | Adamantine Arrow

E
    Ermac

Dressed casually in blue jeans, a grey shirt, and black jacket, one of the architects of the New Charter slowly approached. Despite his involvement and unfortunate resignation, Consilium had generally thought well of him. He knew it was the way he had exited the stage that definitely contributed. He tried to set things right. It was time to step aside and let someone else take the reins.

"Good evening Sentinel Asp," he greeted his former Provost first. "Weavebreaker, and Einstein." He knew well enough that there was deep tension. Asp hadn't redecorated the Circle with Einstein's viscera. That was a good start.

Unseen Shield 3, Supernal Vision 2
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-02-05 21:09:06 Ermac rolls 7 to Supernal Vision (Gno + Prime + HS) (10 Again) 4, 1, 8, 5, 5, 7, 10, 1 2 successes
    2015-02-05 21:08:33 Ermac rolls 8 to Unseen Shield (Gno + Forces + HS) (10 Again) 8, 4, 6, 6, 10, 4, 8, 5, 1 3 successes

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

The great thing about being late to a meeting that you call is that you don't miss much.

Sure, you look like a moron, but looking like a moron for being late was a footnote to looking like a moron for carrying several boxes of pizza. When there was already pizza. And now there was more pizza. Whoops.

"Uh. Hey. Everyone. Ta-da! Pizza."

And it was the cheap Little Caesers stuff. Not the good Papa Johns stuff. Provost, yo. Let 'em provost. His boxes were set down, and he grabbed a slice of the pizza Ermon probably Asp bought.

"I bet you're all wondering why I called you here."
    A goofy grin disappeared as pizza was inserted into it. Grab a paper towel. "Yeah, I know, but, like, everyone needs to get to say that once in their lives, right? So, ummmm. Anyway. I'm Star. And, wow, Weave, your hair looks great like that. Like, you're totally ten times hotter with dark hair. I mean. Uh. I'm not, like, hitting on you. But you should know that. And, thanks, Asp, for the pizza. This is way better. Better ingredients, better pizza."

The half slice waved around. Pizza is totally way better than a laser pointer. For one thing, it won't blind anyone.

"Anyway? I don't want to make this super long, but, yeah, Consilium was kinda, well, you know. And I didn't want to get super bogged down in, like, legalese, so we just played by the rules they wrote. Nothing personal, Ermac. Really. I mean, come on, I stumped for you."
    Whoah. Where'd the pizza go? Somehow, the slice had disappeared between words. It's a gift. A can clicked and hissed as he opened a Vanilla Coke.

"So. I'm going to do introductions, then, like, hit the substance. The substance of the meeting, not, like, substance. Unless anyone wants to? I'm down. Don't hide it, divide it."
    Ganja and Vanilla Coke? Why not. "I don't really, you know, want to be Councilor. Like, at all. And Asp is doing her Sentinel thing, by the way Einstein you owe her an apology, which kind of leaves you three."

He didn't give Einstein a chance to apologize or protest.

"You,"
    the can waved at Einstein, "Need to learn that fantastic quote -- It's better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness. Ermac, you pooched that Charter. Either you missed some stuff, or you didn't handle your business and got caught by the change. Weave, I kind of think you're the bomb, and again, that's not a come on. You took your sentencing at that other Consilium, and stood up for what you believed at this last one without, like, being a rabid anarchist about it."

"So this is what we have to work with, right? Let me toss out another quote, and I'll probably mangle it. But, basically, that those who would trade essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither. Benjamin Franklin, and we all know he was an Angel. A Consilium may provide safety, but we are called Awakened because we believe in liberty." Lightning, yo. Who didn't know that? "We are Mighty Angels. Don't make this about Order. Or cabal. Or anything. The Mighty should stand for what's right, and honor our Tower. " Still listening? Long speeches suck. But this is the only one. Fifteen minutes of fame? Fifteen minutes as a Councilor.

Deep breath.

"I don't want to argue. Please. So. If you want to be Councilor, just tell the rest of us what you did and didn't like about the Charter, and what you would change. And then we'll all pick whoever we want to represent us. To shine our Light on the Consilium's Council. And stuff. And. Yeah. If that person doesn't fit the Charter requirements for being a Councilor, we'll all figure that out. Together. Until those requirements change."

Whoah, cotton mouth.

"Sound fair? Anyway. Go for it."
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

6. Likes Sirith, Kelreth, Lesingnon liked this post
    A
    Asp

Asp stuffed her face ferociously as Einstein entered. "Hey," she said once she'd cleared her mouth. Manners. She had them. "How you doing?" It seemed that indeed, the Snakey did not plan on eviscerating Einstein. Pleasant as always, she was. When Weave arrived, she actually smiled. "Nice hair, lady. I like it."

Ermac. So formal.

"Chill, man. We're among friends here. Right? No need for extra formality." She grinned at him. "Pull up a chair. Have a pizza and some beer. Make yourself at home."

As her Cabalmate showed, she beamed at him and pulled his chair out for him with her foot. "You can never have too much pizza, dude. Just means the Vee-Tee Fridge is gonna be stocked. Zoey'll love it."

And by Zoey, Asp meant 'Asp'.

As Star went into his wee speech, the First Talon mulched a slice of pizza. Just, gone. Down the hatch, into the grinder. Asp never lacked for a metabolism, and her stomach demanded sustenance beyond measure. Papa John's was the best.

Star was totally flirting with Weavebreaker. Except Totally Not At All. Kind of like VT was Totally Not a Cabal.

Look, but don't touch?

"Yeah, a Throne is a Warrior's Prison. I can serve best right where I am. And as for Einstein? Don't worry about it, man." She turned to regard Einstein, placing her pizza down on her piece of paper towel before leaning in and resting her forearms on the table in an open stance. "I'm gonna be straight with you, Einstein, because being straight is the way to do things. You said what you said, but I don't think you knew how things happened. It's cool. Just, next time? Before you say something, ask a question. I don't do things without a reason, you know?"

Shine a light.

Status (Academia) ••
    Occultation •••
    Einstein
    Nimbus

Einstein's Nimbus manifests as a light surrounding her, often covering up her features with its brightness. When triggered by her Vice, it takes on an eerie blue glow and seems to be coming from some opening behind her. When triggered by her Virtue, it manifests as an angelic glow about her, sometime accompanied by a halo-seeming thing above her head.

PRE

Einstein nodded at the others as they entered. She grabbed a slice of pizza and started eating by the time Star walked through the entrance, but she barely nibbled. For once, her appetite was gone. When Star entered and sat at the table, she put down her half-eaten slice and listened. When Star told her she needed to apologize, she did in fact open her mouth to protest. But he moved on and she couldn't get a word in through his ramblings, so she just fumed silently. And then it was over, and Asp filled the silence.

Of course she would forgive her. And now it wasn't like Einstein could just slap it away. "Sure. But, since we're being honest." She wasn't just going to act like she would drop her thoughts the moment something came up, after all. "I still don't agree with what you did. Even though I know now what I didn't know before. But." She paused to try another nibble at the pizza. Nope, still no appetite. "I can respect that you were doing what you hold to be right. And while I might not agree with it next time you do it either," She gritted her teeth. She just had to make it through. "I will make sure I know everything before I start yelling to high heaven about it."

Okay, it was done. See, easy. Maybe it would actually help. Her apologies rarely had in the past. Maybe it was something about her face.

"As to the matter of being a Councilor, if we don't have anyone else, I can take it. But. I don't want it either. And before you say anything, it's not cause I'm trying to dodge the responsibility so I can keep cursing the darkness." She looked at Star as she spoke. "It's because I pay attention when people talk about me, whether or not you believe it. And from what I hear, no one likes or even respects me. And a Councilor with no respect can't do anything." No point in wasting time, though. "But as for what I'd change, I'd probably try to get rid of that Order membership requirement, at least. Cabal membership, maybe." She hated to admit it, but it had value. People to keep an eye on you, and all. "And get them to install a limit for how many seats on the Council a single Cabal can hold."

She nodded once, that was pretty much it. She wasn't campaigning anyway. Although...was she the only person apart from Star eligible? She certainly hoped not. She returned to nibbling at her pizza slice. By golly, she was going to finish it before the night was out.

Weavebreaker

Obrimos | Adamantine Arrow | Consilium

Ritual Spells Active

Current Scenes

The Descent of the Circle

Phantasmal Armor - 6
    Supernal Vision - 5
    Mage Armor - 3

Mana - 7
    Willpower - 6

All the Kings Men

Supernal Vision (Cloaked) - 5
    Transform Aura (Sleeper)(Cloaked) - 4
    Mana 7
    Witch Hunter

Health:
    Mana
    Willpower:
    Armor 2
    Defense 2

Vulgur Spells in Scene - 4 (+2 Paradox)

Spell Tolerance - 2 (@3(-1))
    Active Spells - 3/6
    Read Matrices - 1
    Unseen Shield - 3
    Reduced Friction - 2

PRE

Weavebreaker gave a wave of her hand to Ermac. "Heya." It didn't take her long to start eyeballing the pizza, and then more pizza arrived with Star hiding behind the boxes. "Heya too..." She glanced between the boxes of Little Caesars and Papa Johns. She always seemed to have a preference for the cheap stuff...

Weavebreaker grabbed a plate and a couple of slices and dug in as everyone spoke their piece. She found a nice spot at the table and listened on as she settled down. Star definitely had the most to put out, with a compliment thrown in here and there that she couldn't help but wear a smile for. Asp and Einstein mostly seemed to work out their misunderstandings, with Einstein throwing in her two cents on changes.

Weavebreaker finished up what she had in her mouth and then glanced around the room. "I have had quite a few growing concerns lately...and I am sorry but this is going to be long..."

"Banishers think magic is abhorrent, yet they are trying to provoke awakenings?" Weavebreaker gave a soft shake of her head. "What is happening on campus is far from typical and I am worried that there may be another enemy manipulating them."

"Still it warrants action, but I feel that where this drug is coming from needs to be looked at with great scrutiny." Weavebreaker looked around, frowning for a moment.

"The change has weakened this Consilium. I mean...what Sacramento has something like forty willworkers and there are less than a dozen members of the Consilium?"

Weavebreaker shook her head softly. "The rights of solitaries are in place for protection, because it stops a group from targeting an individual and a single person couldn't dream of holding down a whole swath of Sacramento safely..."

"Power... corrupts and absolute power..." Weavebreaker trailed off. "It garners some sense for cabal / order membership, as it gives the opportunity for others to perceive if something is wrong. I honestly think one or the other should suffice as they would maintain the contact necessary for others to notice if they begin slipping."

Weavebreaker tilted her head for a moment. "Other then that, I would think partnership cabals are viable. It is not the easiest thing, but it is done elsewhere and people pull it off successfully."

"Beyond that I think it was fallacy poking the hornet's nest while the Consilium is still trying to find its footing and with little guidance. I do not think anyone is lacking capability, but I know that the Banishers are equally capable."

"I have lived on campus almost the whole time I have lived here with relatively little danger. This is because of my skill with the Prime Arcanum and knowledge of Banishers."

"Even with the numbers on campus right now, the chances are high that people are going to be noticed. We are uniquely skilled in stalling or preventing the notice by helping others change their auras or cloaking their works."
    Obrimos | Adamantine Arrow

E
    Ermac

"Right, sorry." Ermac gave a small sheepish smile to Asp. "Asp, Star, thank you both for the pizza." He stepped over the table taking a slice from Papa John's and Little Caesar's then a can of Coke. Some may regard it as a statement. It was just to placate his curiosity how the two compared.

He took a seat as Star presented his case - damn, the man could speak - the former Councilor nodded in agreement. In listening to the others, there was chance to learn different perspectives.

Einstein's tensions with the others appeared to have been ameliorated.

Ermac shook his, "Despite the fact I was burned by this, I disagree with the text of necessitating Cabal membership for Councilors." He looked to Einstein briefly, "I understand your perspective of the Order. Idun who is both without an Order and officially recognized Cabal. Maybe she was with an Order. I don't know her situation. Regardless, Orders can not fade into nothingness like a Cabal can."

Looking back to the group, "The problem I have noticed is our Consilium has a sizable nomadic population. Awakened coming to town, receiving Recognition then disappearing without a word."

He paused to drink. "My point here is it is possible for anyone to be booted from the Council because their Cabal membership suddenly plunged below the minimum requirement."

Ermac nodded to Einstein, "As there is a tremendous concern about Panthera Nox taking total control of the Council, I believe a limitation should be set. A max of two Councilors from the same Cabal."

Gesturing to Weavebreaker, "I agree, right now, we're all too pissed off at each other to focus in on the Banishers. I still feel some reconnaissance would be helpful. I am very curious how they're allegedly triggering Awakenings. Perhaps you could provide documentation on your experiences there so we know which targets to hit." Ermac then took a bite of the pizza.

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

Call Guinness World Records, yo. Legit Worst Apology Ever.

But words are words, and it's really the meaning of the words that matters. Right? Skip the words, and even the meanings. Everyone was talking. Open. Without insults and stuff. Sometime between the second and third slice of pizza, the realization came that the silence meant someone was supposed to Say Something. After all those words and words, who could blame them for thinking there were more words coming?

Maybe there were.

"Well."
    Finish chewing. Swallow. "There are, like, actually two groups looking in to that stuff." Eyes flickered over to Weavebreaker. "Right now? One theory is that they're targeting Sleepwalkers -- that the GLO will Awaken them." Sure, one theory. His theory. As far as he knew, it was the only theory besides GLO Is Bad. There were theories about Lions, too. "But, so, yeah. There are, uh, investigations."

How did he know? Secret Councilor Briefing? Nah. You know about things when you're the one doing them. True story. Oh. Someone thought Veiled Threats just argued about laws and jacked for Consilium positions? No way, yo. This cabal has done more since Moxie than, well, anyone. Another true story. Light candles.

"That's. Uh. Part of why I dont't want to, you know, be a Councilor."

Holy cow. Totally. Full.

"So. Here's kind of my thing. I get it. The Charter? All of it. Cabals, Orders, it's not just about, like, accountability. It also, hmmmm, means someone believes in something? And can commit to something? Kind of like the way people say that it doesn't matter what your college degree is in, but that you have one. But. I don't think it's, like, a bad thing to not know. There are five Orders. Maybe not knowing is Wisdom. And, if everyone has to join a cabal, then, aren't we kind of creating our own problem? Of limiting how many people can come from a cabal?"

A long finger raised.

"Yeah. I know. I'm the one that asked that question. But here's the deal. Limits, hmmmmm. Limits... well. They have a funny way of breeding more limits. The same way someone is going to eventually ask about limiting Councilors by so many from each Order. And, like Ermac said? Suddenly removing people because of some Life Changing Event..." Thin shoulders shrugged.

The liberty and safety quote, yo. Interesting fact? It had nothing to do with national security, but, still. Great quote. Vetting people to death didn't always mean separating the wheat from the chaff. Sometimes, it just meant you got a bunch of Yes People. You know, people just like yourself. And if everyone was supposed to do and think the same things, well, ring any bells?

"You think people might like or respect you if, you know, you tried to change things? Instead of just yelling about them and recruiting for your Order?" Eyebrows lifted into the mop as the finger fell towards Einstein. "And don't get me wrong. Free Council is a thing. The Diamond is a thing. The Pentacle is a thing. Apostasy is a thing. Which, you have to remember. Everyone does. Consiliums are for the Awakened. Right? So, like, are you doing things for the Consilium? Or for the Awakened? Or are you doing things for the Free Council and Einstein?"

The mop shook and he turned to Ermac.

"And, man. Man. You call nomads a problem, which... I can't agree with. So my vote's either going to Einstein or Weave."
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 4

You do not have permission to view the list of names.