Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Insults for Charity

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... Last

The Chris Farley Memorial Comedy Center: bright lights, vivid colors--the place could double as a day care sponsored by Crayola. Maybe that's their intention for the atmosphere, somewhere idyllic and carefree, conducive to laughter, where patrons can leave their worries at the door. Of course, no day care has bars stocked with colorful bottles of exotic booze, staff dressed as their favorite funny characters. The man who takes your ticket is fat, bald, and painted yellow. "Doh!" is your statement of admission. The one who takes your coat is done up in black and white--from the suit with gray overcoat to the grayscale of his make-up to the little black moustache beneath his nose. He seems incapable of speech as he ushers in.

You enter a dim-lit hallway with quotations painted on the wall: "Who's on first?"; "I live in a van down by the river!"; "Mama says alligators are ornery because they got all them tooth and no toothbrush,"; "Nuk, Nuk, nuk!"; the list goes on.

The hallway ends in a round reception room where the city's elite in fashion's finery order drinks from the central island-bar. There's the Comptroller with a woman who isn't his wife, staring up at a sports screen. There's the starting Quarterback for the Raiders smoking a cigar with the pitcher from the Dodgers. There's a mural on the wall that separates the reception area from the auditorium. It's titled, "The Many Deaths of Kenny." The South Park cartoon character is depicted as dead all across its massive surface in painful plethora: decapitated, electrocuted, hit by a bus, drowned, eaten by pirahana, lost in space, choking on pizza, and so forth.

The walkways on either side of the mural are roped off. A woman dressed as Jessica Rabbit--maybe she is Jessica Rabbit--asks for your seating ticket. She sees you staring, winks: "I'm just drawn this way." She directs you to your table.

As you take your seat, you see that your table is named for some comedian, that that comedian's face features on the table cloth in a black-and-white vignette: Micth Hedberg, Dave Chapelle, Tina Fey . . .

There's a program and donation envelope in front of you.

The waitress takes your drink order.

The lights dim . . .

Abigene Farlery appears on stage, the little known cousin slash secret lover of Chris Farley--the resemblance is uncanny.

She calls for silence, and then applause, and then silence again. "Good evening ladies and gentlemen . . . and lawyers . . . and politicians. Is that you, Senator? The Sexaholic Supermodel Club meets here next week." Laughter. "We've got a great line up for you this evening: some familiar faces, some up-and-comers, some premature ejaculators--all people who like to laugh, but not at AIDs or World Hunger . . . in public. If you're given to impulsive drinking decisions, we say have a round on us, and then break out your checkbook. Bottoms up, there are sober children in India!" She warms the crowd up, tastefully poking fun at frequent givers before reading off a roster of the pre-registered competitors. "Please note the nearest exit. In the event of an emergency, run screaming, trample your enemies, and cop a feel if you can." She cedes the stage to the sound of uproarious applause.

A spotlit podium awaits the competitors. As per the program, they're to introduce themselves and their chosen charity, warm up a bit if they like.

Characters may attend even if they're not competing--to cheer, mingle, or show their support. Rules: Single elimination. Separate threads will be created for each competing pair. Roll initiative in your introduction to see who gets first insult. (WITS + COMP + Init) Each thread goes ten posts, five for each insulter. The winner is decided by the number of likes across all their posts in that thread one day after the last post. If a player fails to post on their turn for 48 hrs, they are disqualified. I will start threads for pairs every few entrants. Have fun! PM me with questions or suggestions. I'll be donating my personal experience if you win.

West @Star @Cayce Josepine @Whisper @Allison Black @Ermac @ErlangShen

2. Likes Teeramus, Cayce liked this post

PRE

The extraordinarily pale features of Josephine Sterling revealed themselves to the audience as she stepped beneath the spotlight, the powerful luminescence striking her like sunlight on white marble. Swathes of black fabric decorated with gold clasps flowed over her form, the pieces of metal shining like fragments of star amdist a dark sea.

"Good evening, ladies and gentleman," she began, tongue striking her consonants and shaping her vowels in ways that some would describe as 'posh'. "I am Josephine Sterling, a recent immigrant and a purveyor of antique books. I had originally come here as an aid worker, bringing much needed literary supplies, but after observing the customs of your country, I learned that my efforts would be better spent turning a profit instead. How else would I earn enough money so that I could donate and thus warrant a tax deduction? There simply was no choice. It was that or pay for useless things like road maintenance. Hence my coming here this evening. I hope to inspire you to similarly earn many tax deductions by donating large quantities of money to the Horizon College Scholarship Foundation, a local organization which pays the tuition of hundreds of brilliant, yet impoverished students. With your contributions, many more promising individuals will receive the education they need to transform themselves into upstanding citizens such as yourselves. And then, perhaps, there will be just that many less idiots attempting to reenact the greatest waste of tea the waterways of the world have ever known. Thank you," she finished, inclining her head to the audience and then stepping down so that the next arrival could begin their introduction.

Attire, sans le sac a main

-1 Vitae for Blush of Life

4. Likes Wod.Infant, West, Brownlee liked this post
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

He bounced on this toes and rolled his head around as he listened to the first person. Warm up, stretch out. Allegedly, A Thing. Was she British? Study your competition. That wasn't an alleged thing, that was Totally A Thing. Weird, yo. Since when did models do stand up? That's what he figured. The strange too-perfect-but-not-beautiful features and severity? And, seriously, who dresses like that?

Stay fierce, girl. America's Next Top Model is coming back any day now.

If Josephines clean, stark appearance could be called 'Put Together', the wrinkled khakis and Deadmau5 shirt could only be called 'Fallen Apart'. His left sneak made an oddly loud squeak-skritch sound as he bounded over to the microphone.

"Wow. That's, totally, like, the first time I've ever followed Max Headroom on stage."

Come out swinging. Contender material. Besides, the stage? There's no friends. No mercy. Drop the bombs. Zero. Sum. Game. He ought to know, as many times as he'd Summed Zero.

"But, seriously. I'm Jack, and I'll be competing for your dollars on behalf of Open Heart Magic."

A small bow was sketched, and he skipped off the stage.
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

E
    Ermac

As he was partially responsible for planting the idea in Falstaff's head, Ermac was going to see it through. The woman who introduced herself as Josephine Sterling was had some mysterious appeal with her speech pattern and attire. He walked in and waved to Star . After the fellow Obrimos gave his speech, the Councilor grinned. Oh this is going to be fun.

A
    Asp

Asp had come along with Star to the event, looking forward to the performer's material. She was seated in the second row near the aisle, a second seat there with her for her cabalmate right on the end. Always good to be able to get out and go up easy, right? The casually-clad Arrow laughed at his short, quick joke and called out, "YEAH, JACK!" boisterously when he introduced himself and what he was here for.

Catching sight of Ermac, she shot the Councilor a wave. Who was he here for?

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

Off the stage, a hand rand through the mop and over his eyes. Lights, man. When would these places switch to LEDs? Wasn't being blinded bad enough? The beginning of sweat was wiped absentmindedly on a khaki'd leg, leaving an accidental spot. A grin was tossed at Asp and he followed her wave.

Side neck bounce at Rick. Over here? It's where the party was.

He flopped into his sit and offered a cross-body fist bump. Same side fist bumps were just awkward. No emphasis. Pow. Blow. It. Up.

"You think Rick's competing?"
    he asked, leaning back and to the side toward Asp.

Awkward, yo. Because Councilor. Just remember -- the Stage is No Man's Land. Everyone for themselves.

"Hey. Make sure there's no Tower of Babel getting flung."

That? Totally a whisper. Why would he think an Angel would jack with with another performer's Sound? Don't. Ask.
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

9. Likes Teeramus liked this post

He wore a wig--a tactical decision: you can't attack a bald spot you can't see. For similar reasons, he wore platform shoes, putting him well over five feet tall. Weaknesses insulated, Falstaff takes the stage.

"Greetings, earthlings." He waves at the crowd, parting his hand between the ring and middle fingers. "Remi here, on behalf of Alcoholics Unanimous . . . er, Anonymous: it's win-win--works out and you get a key chain, or it doesn't and you've made some new drinking buddies." He paces back and forth, showing off his new height and keeping the audience's energy up.

"An homage: a Pablo Francisco skit on the movie preview guy, in light of our upcoming performance:"

Performance
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-10-10 18:14:34 Falstaff rolls 7 to Performance: 2 (PRES) + 2 (Exp) + 3 (WP) = 7 DP (10 Again) 8, 8, 6, 4, 2, 8, 10, 5 4 successes

Act

He catches sight of Ermac in the crowd, points at him and winks.

He puts his whole self into, being discerning enough to know exactly when a do-or-die effort is called for. He's a gladiator is a Colosseum witty banter. The stakes? An honorific: Sharpest Wit in Sacramento. For him, "Likeness to The Bard."

"Thank you, future money-givers!" As he exits stage left, he spots Asp in the crowd talking with her gay friend (?). He blows her a kiss--obviously the Lady had come to witness the prowess of her dream man. Maybe she'd give him a kerchief as a sign of her favor . . . or would he have to buy a lance first. Regardless: bros before hos-he heads towards Ermie.

11. Likes Matamune, Cayce liked this post

Thomas Galilei

Blood Potency: O O
    Presence: O O O (Dignified)
    O Status: Lancea Sanctum
    O Status: Domain
    O Status: Ventrue
    OO Distinctive Voice: Quiet Certainty

PRE

Thomas had come to support Josephine, had booked a seat in the corner and clapped loudly as she entered and exited stage. The "Charity" part, he supported; but the "Insults" . . . He can't imagine why or how anyone would insult a stranger. He tries to stay positive, supportive; he hadn't worn his collar, so as to not dampen the mood. Plus, he didn't want to give any comedians fodder for their routines.

Josephine's victory is in the bag . . . God willing.
    =====================
    Active Effects: Blush; Kamen: Tatemae (Perfect Calm)

Scenes

=====================

13. Likes Cayce, Teeramus liked this post
    Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

A few minutes before the agreed upon time, a red GTO roars up to the address. The passenger’s side window rolls down and Faye leans over, smiling to Striker. Once he was inside, she shifts into gear and pulls the car onto the road. Figuring they had a few minutes to kill, cause the Enchantress was never late, she drives around, giving them time to chit chat and what not. Plus, it showed off her car.

They pull up to the address, and both exit into the building.

Faye wasn’t sure what to expect, and dressed casually. She had on a pair of low rise jeans with a white t-shirt, cut higher in the front, a little longer in the back. Her long blonde hair was pulled into a loose side braid. As they enter, she sees a few faces she recognizes, Star Asp and shots them a small wave and smile.

She finds a free table and motions to Striker, making sure the table was ok with him. In case he wished to sit with the other Awakened, either was ok with her.

Teeramus

15. Likes Teeramus liked this post
    T

Striker was in his usual boots, jeans, T-shirt and leather jacket, left arm pinned up to the shoulder. When the car pulled up he smiled back at Faye and enjoyed the ride. The car was a beautiful machine and Faye handled it well. It took some of the edge off his nervousness.

He wasn't sure why he felt the way he did, he was usually confident and didn't really care what other's thought. It wasn't like there was going to be anyone there he knew, except for Faye of course. But that was different, he'd invited her. As they entered the building he saw Faye wave to Asp and Star and he paused mid-step. So much for not being known. Then he saw the lights and stage and the entire setup. This was a bigger event than he thought.

Bugger. Shoulda done my research first. He realised Faye had found a table and went and sat down with her. "So I dunno if you thought we were just gonna chill out here, and you can. But I think I'm up." He flashed her smiled and stood again. "Back in a minute."

Now or never. Why the hell are you doin' this again? Oh yeah.

He bounced up onto the stage blinking at the bright lights and grabbed the microphone. "G'day folks. How the bloody hell are ya? I'm here for the Sacro Independent Animal Rescuers who take abused cats and dogs and stuff and put them in good homes. Good work their doing and they want donations even if I suck tonight." He wiped the sweat off his forehead, clearly not used to being on a stage. Jeez it's hot up here. "Anyway you can call me Bruce tonight, unless you're against me then you can call me what ever the hell you want." With that he fumbled the microphone back into the stand and made a quick walk off the stage and back to the table.

"Hope this is fun for you." He said to Faye sitting down next to her.

17. Likes Cayce, Brownlee liked this post
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... Last
Closed Thread