Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Meeting the Regent

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    (-1 Vitae in Requiem for Blush)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

- 1 Vitae for Blush of Life in Requiem Subforum

PRE

That...?' hasn't been resolved yet? A skilled Mekhet like Erika Brady should be able to hear Chris' memory engines running, quicker and quicker. 'Let me see.'

'I was called to help after Aοleen McFarlane and Callum McCann discovered it. The investigation was continued at Reverence. I remember the coffin, but other items seemed to be connected to the same case, especially if I were to believe Martha Villiers. There was an old metal box, its crest embossed with some medieval Spanish heraldry. However, the skeleton was found in one of the Baltic states. A fact I especially recall because I had found a journal, written in Hungarian. The story is all over Europe.'

And I never did anything with it, did I? Damn.

'McCann then told us it was a Spanish elder, and an apparently beautiful Kindred from outside the Domain was also quite interested in it. I have no idea if they ever got her. In... a vision, I discovered Wilhelm Von Schutsen was probably involved in all this too.' German. It's all coming back to Chris.

I lost several fingers there! Damn.

'Beside all that, I remember a few things Martha Villiers told everyone, several Kindred known to the Domain were in some ways involved. Even Tobias Straiphen...' a name that doesn't mean very much to Chris, but he has heard a thing or two about Sacramento's history. He holds his hands up and shrugs, physically asking if he should go on? Erika probably knows all this, but now she also knows how up-to-date the Hierophant is.
    Presence •• (Easy Going) | Striking Looks •• (Boy Next Door) | Mask of Tranquility | CotC ••• | Domain ••• | Mekhet ••

2. Likes Chrisie, West liked this post

Presence
    (Occam's Razor)
    Striking Looks
    (Red Hair, Green Eyes)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Erika Brady

PRE

Erika's stern expression somehow seems to grow darker and darker as Chris lays out his summary. As though the names that are wrapped up in the depths of the mired investigation are of increasing concern.

Whatever her thoughts are on Thobias Straiphen in particular, she doesn't voice. Not unusual. But it takes her longer than is customary for the Regent to respond. That in itself should speak volumes.

"I'd like for you to continue pursuing these leads,"
    she finally intones. Her voice soon turns icy. "The progress that has been made in the interim has been utterly pitiful. And I, for one, am not impressed with the intent to allow any enemies of His Majesty or this Domain ample time to recover from their setbacks."

A pause. Very brief, very practiced. One commonly used by orators.

"Information regarding these events is leaking like a sieve, and I no longer have any confidence in the abilities of those who were previously or are currently involved. If we are to continue, it must be under discretion. You will have the resources you need in order to carry out your objectives, but in return, I will have your word that nothing further reaches prying ears that you are actually getting things accomplished."

With any amount of fortune, the public perception that the Domain's continued incompetence is widespread will lure the enemy into negligence. The only thing that remains, is for Chris Wooding to... as the curious term goes, put his money where his mouth is.

4. Likes Dark Passenger liked this post

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

The silence, not matter how short, makes Chris realize this is a serious matter. Not some stupid squatter to hunt down and kill. Slowly he nods, it's almost a bow, to show his commitment to this task. In the past, he would almost forget that Brady is more than a solitary power within the Domain, that she's a Regent, and that she cares for the city and its Prince. Now he is almost impressed by her, or better, inspired.

'I understand. I can, and I will act in the shadows. Under Conner Greyson things were different, but with the Bishop, my urge to come and report things has... decreased.' And his only two Deputies are Gangrel. Who's the clannist now? Of course Chris has no idea how things were in the Domain, the past year, but it's still a curious fact. 'You have my word.'

He wonders if Erika has any specific objectives of where he should start. Something must have happened while he was gone. 'Do you know if anything of note has been discovered, during my time outside the Domain?' He wouldn't mind to start from scratch, but knowing things is always good.
    Presence •• (Easy Going) | Striking Looks •• (Boy Next Door) | Mask of Tranquility | CotC ••• | Domain ••• | Mekhet ••

6. Likes West liked this post

Presence
    (Occam's Razor)
    Striking Looks
    (Red Hair, Green Eyes)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Erika Brady

PRE

"I do not," the Regent answers darkly. As much as she's tempted to add but likely nothing, to the end of that, she doesn't. Not due to any desire for preserving civility, but for the sake of moving the conversation along.

An eyebrow arches, at the admission of Wooding's reticence to report to Connery. Perhaps others feel the same way, and that is what has exacerbated this entire mess. But she had figured it had more to do with the Ordo Dracul's selfish desire to hoard any information they accumulate amongst themselves, to the detriment of anyone they claim to be allied with.

Though, that is not an alien concept to any Covenant. Which might be why she hasn't the time for any of them.

"You did attribute the stupidity of one individual to his entire Clan. Whether or not I have any reason to argue it with you," she doesn't, "waggling your tongue about it all around the Domain... It's a small wonder you didn't find a set of claws suddenly clutching your heart from the back, in some dark alley.

"And I will have your word, indeed. I shall brook no such indiscretion on these matters."

She settles into another small pause, considering. "Do you know of the Blood-Tell Oath?"

8. Likes Wod.Infant, West liked this post

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

Apparently that one mistake, that everyone misinterpreted - or took a whole lot more serious than he intended to - is still haunting him. Of course, he understands the Regent's concern. Anything stupid he does may be remotely connected to her, from now on. Even if it's only about the image of Citrus Heights.

'Maybe that's right, and I should be glad. Of course, Dog already beat the shit out of me once.' A flicker of pain, a glimpse of anger in his eyes, he won't forget. And yet, he lost control there. 'I learn from my mistakes - and I've made many.'

When she asks about the oath, a smile crosses Chris' face. Not his usual stupid boyish, cheesy or flirty smile, but a small change to a dark expression. Maybe he should be scared of an oath, or offended by the idea. But he actually feels honored.

'Yes, I know of it.'

Do I?

10. Likes West, Wolven Pryde liked this post

Presence
    (Occam's Razor)
    Striking Looks
    (Red Hair, Green Eyes)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Erika Brady

PRE

Yes, you do.

Erika slips her clutch open, revealing, opposite the computer tablet, a smaller leather wallet. This, she passes silently to Chris.

When he opens it, he will find thick, rich, and heavy paper. Along with a small metal dish, a knife not unlike a scalpel, whose other end is a reservoir and tip of a fountain pen.

Once this is revealed, the Regent speaks again.

"You will swear to keep everything I say under the strictest confidence, revealing it only if directly asked by the Prince himself," she says crisply. "This will include any revelation that you have been Oath-sworn, that we spoke, that I hold the Oath, or any allusion to any of those or to any information which might lead to deduction, as well as any record of such other than this Oath itself."

Emerald green eyes now watch Chris, expectantly.

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

Chris accepts the leather wallet, perhaps slightly surprised that Erika would carry this with her. Even though he said he wanted to meet her for business. So she's just a woman well prepared, for everything.

He finds a place to sit, preferably behind a desk, and he carefully places the paper and the tools before him. The knife-pen is an interesting tool, he wonders how old it is. But before he uses it, he looks up at Erika.

'When I write down 'everything' I will never be able to carry out a command, serving as your Hound, to anyone else. I think the Blood-Tell Oath works well enough to have us include - everything you say in confidence - which will include this conversation, but not any future meetings unless you want it to. Thus we can maintain the Oath for an unlimited time.'

Unless, of course, my position is to be kept entirely secret. But that wouldn't make much sense.

Presence
    (Occam's Razor)
    Striking Looks
    (Red Hair, Green Eyes)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Erika Brady

PRE

We are now resuming your regularly scheduled program, which is already in progress...

The corners of Erika's mouth twitch again. She nods her consent to the amendment, thinking this one is perhaps not as stupid as some of his past actions have led her to believe.

Damn all if she suddenly turns into some sort of optimist, however.

She repeats the words with a heavy weight behind them: "In confidence."

For his sake, Chris had better understand all of the connotations of that word as he puts them in print. Doctor Brady won't look kindly upon a Hound that cannot even keep a simple Oath wet.

Her hand gestures for him to carry on.

14. Likes Dark Passenger liked this post

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

Alright, let's do this, he thinks, to encourage himself. This is quite exciting actually. The amendment is a literary abomination, for he will write the word 'confidence' two times in the same sentence, but he's not going to make any changes just because of that. Or...

No. He takes the knife and - while resisting the urge to use the Spirit's Touch on it - Chris only pushes the sharp edge against the top of his left index finger. He pushes the finger against the reservoir and fills it, delicately without making a mess. One of the perks of being able to control your blood flow.

Then he starts writing on the thick piece of paper. Oh, and there's a notable pause after the word confidence. It has to look good, right?

I, Chris Wooding, swear in blood to Erika Brady that I will keep any information she shares with me in confidence, strictly secret, revealing it only if directly asked by the Prince himself. This includes any revelation that I have been Oath-sworn, that we spoke, that Erika Brady holds the Oath, or any allusion to any of those or to any information which might lead to deduction, as well as any record of such other than this Oath itself.

When he's ready, he leans back, giving the Regent some room to check the oath, and eventually mystically complete it.

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

Sorry Wolven Pryde , I'll double post so we may close this scene in one more post

If Erika Brady agrees and completes the oath, Chris only has a few more things to say.

'Just to let you know what else I'm good for... If for some reason you need to send me a message sometime,' he ticks the side his head with a finger while speaking, that would be a telepathic message, 'I might be open for communication in certain situations, around you.'

Regent Brady, his new employer. Sort of.

'And I possess an ability, our family's special gift combined with Cruac. It allows me to learn much more about "supernatural" objects and beings. I can see magic in use, so to speak.' The Hierophant doesn't truly believe in the concept of supernatural, as the world as created by the Crone is entirely natural. But it makes things easier to explain. 'So if ever you think that such an ability might be useful, I would be happy to assist.'

It simply can't be a widespread devotion. And Chris certainly doesn't mind being included in occult investigations.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread