DISPLAYED
(Haunted House) The Call

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

There are many ways in which a Kindred may hunt. One might haunt the shadowy places and dim alleyways of the city, waiting for a lonely kine, lost or taking a short cut, to cross one's path. One might draw the prey close by making the environment attractive and conducive to the prey's sensibilities and strike while their guard is down. Or one might counsel patience, and wait at a watering hole for a likely target to present itself... follow it away from the herd and strike it when it is alone and exposed.

The Zebra Club certainly fitted the last of those three strategies. It was a vanilla club, catering to all tastes and none. It was neutral ground. Safe. A group of rough looking men played pool while a group of nerds and geeks clustered around the arcade machines. In a corner, a group of working men celebrated a mile stone of some sort in a round of drinks. A dangerous looking man with a tattoo covering one eye claimed a chunk of the bar as his own and drank in silence. Two lovers claimed a table... and were disturbed a two friends.

The Zebra Club boasted a kitchen that operated till 1AM and could linger open for a few more hours after that. In the lean summer, when the night was short and hunting opportunities few, this waterhole might be the only chance for an evening meal. It was the way of things. The cycle of the seasons. Time, of which the Kindred were no longer a part, but still inextricably chained to.

Unless one decided to arbitrarily shift the shape of the hunt from food to something else? Harken to yonder table where the college freaks have brokered a fragile alliance with the college jocks. Words thicken the fumes of alcohol, hormones, and tribal posturing.

"I know right? The old house near Sacramento International Airport? The house Old Man Chambers lived in..."

"Its on Pritchard Avenue, dufus!"

"Yeah. I know. Right next to the airport... d'uh! Anyway! Like, its been abandoned for years, right? No one goes there..."

"Except the cultists..."

"Yeah..."

"... No one except the cultists goes there. Yeah. 'Cos that place is haunted or some shit. Thats crap. Probably just got some of Old Man Chambers shit there... Now I bet Peg Leg Jonas knew that when he dumped his stash there. For hard times, you know... when his schemes went south. House with that rep... no one is going to think to look there..."

"Peg Leg Jonas?"

"Small time hood. Big ideas. Got caught. It was in the local news... You do read? Not everything is about Dark Gods and sex orgy rituals..."

"I'm offended by that..."

"I'll give you that. It would be a good spot to hide a stash."

"So what? We, like, blood siblings because we tracked some stuff down in the library? Please!"

"Yeah..."

"Hell no! I don't want anything to do with your shit. But I gotta plan! We want the same thing, right? How about we team up? It'll be easier to get into that place together than if we both go separately. You want to do some magic thing..."

"Its an invocation!"

"Whatev's. You want to do some mumbo jumbo shit. We want to go treasure hunting. Look, I'm offering you guys some... moral support here. Its a big old house at the end - okay, okay... middle! - of the road. We're big strong guys so we can break in for you and you won't have to break a nail - yah. I'm a quarterback and you... you're a random... witch... girl. Goths are so dated, yah - and if there is like, some smelly perv hiding out there, we chase 'em off for you. You get an upper floor or whatever for your... use the force! You know... We get to search for Peg Leg Jonas stash."

"You really think this guy would bury..."

"They say Jonas invested in diamonds..."

"Gold."

"Since he's in the slammer, he don't need it any more does he?"

An abandoned place. A mystery. A taboo. And those willing to break it. Who needs vulgar flesh and blood when a mythic food such as this is laid out?

Over to you Jag LittleFox C_Lloyd

2. Likes Chrisie liked this post

PRE

-1 Vitae for Blush of Life

Tracy had been out hunting that evening, hoping to find some easy prey that would provide her with the sustenance she needed. She had brought Penelope along with her, figuring that she could show the Haunt a few good spots in the Communal Hunting Grounds of the domain. She knew that her companion would likely not be thrilled by the idea of exploring the nightlife scene in Sacramento, but unfortunately they didn't have many other options.

The truth of the matter was that college kids getting wasted were easy prey. Sure, there wasn't as much of a thrill when hunting easy prey, but the Gangrel's beast hungered, so she had to do something in order to satiate its never-ending thirst.

The Gangrel had lead her companion towards the pool tables in the back of the room, figuring it would be a good spot from which to observe the patrons potential prey, without calling too much attention to themselves. She held a cue stick in one hand, her emerald green eyes scanning her surroundings. Hmmm, a couple of frat boys would do, she thought to herself, carefully planning what their next move should be.

As she watched the scene, Tracy picked out the mixed group of jocks and freaks sitting at a table nearby. She quirked an eyebrow as she studied the kids around the table, wondering if she had found her meal for the night. Hmm, it could be. The boys look dumb enough that they shouldn't pose much of a threat. While she entertained those thoughts, the Gangrel began to pick up on what the group was talking about, and slowly but surely became more interested in their conversation.

Eventually, she walked over to her Haunt companion and whispered in her ear. "Did you overhear what they are talking about?" she asked, nodding subtly in the group's general direction.

L
    LittleFox

Penelope followed her friend and easily slid in to a casual game of pool, taking a few seconds with each shot to survey the room. She hated these situations, but couldn't bring herself to tell Tracy that she felt uncomfortable hunting in social gathering places. People stared so much, and it was always so uncomfortable. She just concentrated on hunting, and on Tracy.

After a while she began to notice the strange group of college kids. There were enough of them that if one didn't come back from the bathroom right away, maybe no one would notice... And they were all drunk or getting there. Although the blue collar types were essentially the same situation... But tattoo face might actually be interested in her if she approached him. He was alternative. And if not, he may be a real challenge to take down. Options made this outing a little more fun, at least. She surrendered herself to a smile, just as one of her balls clacked into a pocket. With the grin only broadening, she stood and nodded to Tracy. "I got one, and you weren't even looking."

Under the pretense of scolding her, she wandered over to her Savage friend, leaning in at her cue. Hearing Tracy's question, she turned to watch the mash-up of kids, attempting to key in on what they were talking about. She furrowed her brow as she focused on them, then glanced sidelong at the red-head with a displeased expression. "Well, no matter how you spin that, it sounds weird or unsafe... But is it our problem?" She asked, giving Tracy a disbelieving look.

C
    C_Lloyd

One of the trademarks of a good hunter is knowing the lay of the land. It is no different for the Urban Kindred, so Notaku decided to spend some of his time learning the ins and outs of his new hunting grounds.

A bar was generally a great place to start a hunt. There were generally just enough people to hunt safely, and almost always a drunken denizen to follow back home, to their car, or down a dark alley. For a skilled hunter, the prey here was not a significant challenge. When he entered the bar, a few heads turned his direction, likely due to his size, but they just as quickly turned back to what they were doing... gossiping, flirting, poisoning themselves. It was too early to just feed and run, so Notaku would have to be patient and strike when the opportunity presented itself.

Predators...

It wasn't long before his beast acknowledged the insidious and feral presence of other beasts. He glanced around the bar to find their source, and his eyes fell first upon Tracy.

Cute... he thought to himself. But he didn't dare assume her size or naive demeanor meant she wasn't a threat. He would have to approach her cautiously. Penelope, however, caught him off-guard. He had seen Albino's before, but there was something about this one that was especially unnerving.
    She must be a haunt. Aptly named.

The last thing Notaku wanted was to be in the way of other predators hunting - but perhaps this was a good opportunity to get to know others in the Domain. He approached the pair... well, he approached Tracy, and waved a greeting.

"May I join your game?"

PRE

Tracy let out a soft chuckle at Penny's words, sticking her tongue out at her playfully. "Maybe you just took advantage that I wasn't paying attention," she said to the Haunt in a playful tone, implying that she may have cheated as she gave her a little wink. When the Nosferatu got closer to speak to her, the redheaded Gangrel leaned in a little closer to hear what she had to say. Once she was done, Tracy gave her a little shrug in response. "It may not be, but it is an opportunity for us...if you catch my drift," she said in response, offering another wink to the albino.

When she was just about to turn back to the pool table to take another shot, the petite Savage heard the words. At once, her Beast riled up, snarling and hissing in defiance at the presence of another predator it did not recognize. Tracy took a moment to reassure the animal inside, not wanting to cause a scene in a public place and breach the First Tradition in the process. After a couple of seconds, she turned to face the Kindred who had spoken to her and the first thing she saw was his chest. Damn, this is one big motherfucker! She looked up, finally reaching his eyes with her own gaze as a devilish smirk formed on the corner of her lips.

"That depends," she said to the stranger. "Are you any good?"

C
    C_Lloyd

Notaku chuckled at Tracy's remark. He wasn't quite sure if she was joking or not, but at least he managed to break the ice.

"Probably not, " he replied, a smile still adorning his face. "But it should be an interesting experience anyway, right?"

He made sure to acknowledge Penny, though he didn't say anything to her. He tried to be as polite as possible without saying a word.

"I'm Notaku, new to town. I'm trying to learn my way around... big cities like this are somewhat foreign to me."

L
    LittleFox

Penelope nearly literally jumped in the air, she was so startled when she saw the towering Native man. Her pale eyes stared at him widely as she felt the Beast rear up and snarl territorially at the huge Gangrel. She took a step to the side, away from him but not backing away, so as to be safe and not rude at the same time. Her eyes stayed as wide as saucers for a good ten seconds before she recovered, mostly due to his acknowledgement of her presence.

With a distinctly long blink, Penelope handed him her pool cue, before meandering off to get a new one for herself. She had not expected him, and the Haunt needed a moment to compose herself again. She did not like surprises. He's clearly not a Hunter, idiot. You're fine. Everything is okay. Chill the fuck out. Her inner self scolded, as her Beast's raging diminished in tandem with her distance from the unknown male.

She snatched a new cue out of the rack with a too-brusque jerk of her wrist, knocking it against the others near to it noisily. She winced, sighing audibly as she gently pressed them against the back of the holder, ceasing their clattering before turning to walk back toward her friend and the stranger. She spared a glance toward the other men playing pool near to them, checking to see if they were even remotely noticing the Kindred.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

The patrons of the club ebb and flow around them. A few eyes rest, ever so briefly, on the giant man of the First Nations. A few more focus suddenly on the table of the Freaks and Jocks: laughter and affected outrage overflow from it, in a sudden surge.

"...Don't mock it. I've seen the black box in the library. I've read it..."

"Hey! I'm a Law major. I can research!"

"Not like this. The black box is hidden. And its all analogue. You won't even find it filed on microfiche." Pause. A girl all in black luxuriates in the sudden, unwelcome, attention. "To find the black box, you have to do data searches the old way. By hand."

F
    FrereSebastian

When you have a ton of things on your mind, getting your covenant together, unifying, practicing medicine, etc sometimes you just want to get a quick bite to eat. What happens to be the easiest and fastest way to get your fix? The proverbial McDonald's of Vampires, drunk college dudes and chicks. In spite of all that was happening with the new Carthian, he headed over to the Zebra Club to get a bite.

He's wearing an oxford white shirt, navy blue tie, navy blue slacks, gold tie clip and black shoes. He walks into the establishment and rolls up his sleeves, taking in who was there and making sure to see what the buffet had to offer. As his eyes drifted from the arcade games, to the bar and finally to the pool table, he noticed the three kindred there. Most notably his beast did. It rattled the confinements of his psyche, eagerly wanting to get off of the bench to play. He hears the shouting of kine, but pays no attention to it.

Ignoring his inner thoughts, he moved over to Tracy, Penelope and Notaku. "Hey! Fancy seeing you guys here. Out for a quick bite?" He smiles playfully at the other Kindred.

PRE

Tracy chuckled at Notaku's response, shaking her head slightly. "Hmm, in that case...do you play for money?" she said, teasing him slightly. "I wouldn't mind making some easy cash." the petite redheaded added a quick wink at the end of those words. "I'm Tracy by the way, and my friend is Penelope," she said, nodding in the direction of the pale Nosferatu.

Regardless of the distractions, the Gangrel still kept a close eye on the group she had been studying before Notaku approached them. Hmmm, I wonder what black box they are talking about, she thought to herself, trying to catch tidbits of their conversation as she lined up her next shot. Just when she was about to take it, another voice riled up her Beast once again. Tracy turned to face whoever had spoken the words, the animal inside howling in defiance of the new predator in her presence.

After a few seconds, which she wisely used to sooth her Beast, the petite Gangrel recognized the man from the evening of her return. He's the one that got stuck with mop duty, she thought to herself, letting out a soft chuckle at the memory. "Not really. Just enjoying a game of pool," she said in response to the Ventrue, a sly smirk forming on the corner of her lips. "Let me guess. You are also new in town and just trying to get a feel for the city?" Her smirk widened into a full blown grin with those words, figuring that both Kindred were likely out hunting just like Penelope and her.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread