Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Character Concepts (Read 1st Post)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 9 of 21 First ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Order: Mysterium
    Rationale: She may know the source code exists, but she hasn't fully read it yet. No one has. And that doesn't sit right. How else can they ever expect to succeed in finally breaking fully free of the Lie if they can't even understand what is a Lie versus what is the Truth? Like her Teacher before her, she has joined the Mysterium to tackle that very problem.
    ...but every Order has/can have scholars.

How does Sand align with the philosophies and tenets of the Mysterium as they relate to the treatment of knowledge?
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

2. Likes Kelreth, Yumyumcrow liked this post

Twist

Hound, Lady Viscount, Invictus
    Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks •• (Alluring)
    Public Identity (Myah Torsione)
    Sand

Striking Looks •• (Curvy)

Hrm... good question.

Doing further research now and yeah, looks like there is more to the Mysterium than I initially realized.

I'm gonna have to think on this a bit and see if I can't figure out which of the orders I might be able to fit her into without rewriting the totality of the toon.

A
    Avner

Hello,
    I am new here and considering creating a Mage for my first character on site. I am thinking of creating an Acanthus of the Free Council order who specializes in identifying magical artifacts and crafting. This is my first character for Mage so I would greatly appreciate the input and also like to know if it would fit well in this homebrew setting.

Professor Zigman (Ziggy) Donovan otherwise known as Professor Z.

Traits: Mental>Social>Physical

History: Professor Z was a full-time professor at the University of California - Davis before the moment of his awakening. He had a knack for finding priceless valuable objects of antiquity at various pawn shops, antique vendors and street merchants simply by 'getting lucky' as he called it. It was a talent that had brought him from a TA to a full-time professorship with the University rather quickly. Revenue seemed to stream in from various alumus, museums, and other interested parties with each new find that Ziggy got his hands on.

It was during one such discovery that he had found an item like none he had encountered before. Ziggy had decided to travel abroad to Europe in hopes of finding something of interest at an international medieval festival in Northern England. As a scholar of ancient history there was not a single moment of the trip he was not enamored with all that he saw, but it wasn't until he found a vendor on the outskirts of a small village that he was suddenly drawn to an ancient bow and quiver that seemed to whisper his name. He heard it over and over again to he finally picked it up and felt the power cascade through him like a flood. All of his senses seemed to open up to him as if previously had been deaf, dumb and blind, or merely asleep. The vendor suddenly cast him a smile and simply told him that he was part of the Free Council and that they would be in touch.

The trip back to Sacramento was like a haze as he took everything in. Suddenly the world was open to him and what had seemed like dumb luck before suddenly was as clear as day. It was not long after he had arrived home he soon realized the truth of the world he had lived in and what exactly his place would be within the free council.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Errr... I don't think Orders simply pronounce you one of them at your moment of Awakening. Or that Awakenings really work like that -- you should probably read that bit of the book again.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

A
    Avner

I will go ahead and re-read it. I was more trying to get the basic concept out there of a Tinker mage, but I think I sorted out how to pull that off mechanically. I will go ahead and update the Awakening and flesh out the backstory a bit.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

...As an Acanthus? I thought you said you'd played Mage before in your Intro post, but that would definitely explain calling us 'homebrew' O.o

A
    Avner

I ran a 2nd Edition as a chronicle game so no i had not read the entire first edition book in detail. I thought entering as a new player would be a good opportunity for me to pick up the rest.

I didn't mean to offend by the homebrew comment. I was referring quite literally to the linked section of your site referring to homebrew rules. I was exited to join and hadn't read everything in detail yet.

I suppose I may have been over eager and I apollogize if I rubbed you the wrong way. I didn't fill out the mage character request form as I knew I had work to do on the character. I thought this was the thread for that, apparently it is not.

Once again sorry for jumping the gun. I will post a more appropriate character when I've completed it.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Homebrew generally refers to entire, or the majority of a game's rules being custom. House Rules are line items tweaks to an existing system. Given that we -are- the most rules intensive game around, yes, it was quite shocking to see that dismissed as some 'home hodgepodge' game.

And honestly, 2E isn't a big change. I just find it surprising anyone who wanted to be a 'Tinker' wouldn't default to an Obrimos or Moros if hey had played before and had any sort of familiarity with the Arcana and spellcasting. I'm not trying to be a raging jerk here, it's just that there's an entirely different expectation level between 'played before' and 'don't know the Paths'.

So, yes... this is the thread for concept, but to be blunt you're missing a LOT of very rudimentary knowledge. Again, not trying to be a jerk, just keeping it real.

A
    Avner

Your Bluntness is appreciated, thanks for keeping it real. I obviously had some work to do an hopefully I didn't misrepresent myself in some way. I've done my best to close the knowledge gap and fleshed out my concept a bit more. I know you don't want a huge narrative here either so I attempted to summarize the concept as best I could and still get the point across. Going for a History/Science themed Tinker built around the Atlantis lore.

Shadowname:
    Magnus
    Name: Professor Zigman Donovan
    Path: Obrimos
    Arcana: Prime 2, Matter 2, Forces 1
    Inferior: Death
    Favored Resistance: Resolve
    Nimbus: Self-Luminosity and possible musical effect
    Order: The Free Council
    Attributes: Mental> Social > Physical
    Virtue/Vice: Hope/Pride

Overview of Concept:
    The character will be a power driven character who due to lacking physical prowess has always 'armed himself with knowledge". This will have manifested itself in him exploring science using his garage as a kid to build stuff then evolve into the study of ancient history specifically atlantean clues in ancient civilizations. He will draw the attention of someone who will bring him to the Giza pyramids and give him a little push due to ulterior motives, which will send him to the Watchtower of the Golden Key through an Astral Journey (his exposure to the Atlantean writings being what hints toward not ascending right away). After successfully making it through a storm of lightening and two guards with swords of fire he will make it to the tower to write his name on the wall.

After Ascension he will have a more modern point of view than the four Atlantean Orders and will be attracted to the Free Council using his magical Crafting to get their attention and pass a series of tests before they allow him within their ranks.

Merit wise I was going to give him an Enhanced Item to show his work, A Sanctum with a dot in Security to show a hidden entrance, and a Library of Arcane Lore. I will use the remaining 3 for Genosis 2.

Hopefully this fits better and incorporates the Awakening a bit better than the last concept.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

It all looks fine, but a word of caution.

Over the years I've seen a lot of similar concepts, and most players don't have a firm grip on how the spellcasting system works -- which leads to disappointment and scrapped characters. Making magic items is very XP intensive; to date, only one character has done it.

I highly, highly, highly suggest you read up on and understand spell control, spell accumulation and relinquishment of spells and make sure you understand the -mechanics- of being a 'tinker'.

Page 9 of 21 First ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread