Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Character Concepts (Read 1st Post)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 10 of 21 First ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... Last
    A
    Avner

I appreciate that advice, I am taking another look to see how feasible the concept would be long-term. The XP cost does seem high and hearing that only one character has done it puts it in context. I don't think I want to make it the characters primary goal in that case. I might go more of a collector or academic route (which would be more flavor) I will have to think about it.

A
    Avner

Alright I think I've got my final concept together, I am going to stick with the Archaeologist type background but instead of having him go down the 'tinker' trope I am more going to have him go down the scholar-adventurer development which would put the character more in line with The Mysterium. I actually wrote out the phrase 'Knowledge is Power' when brainstorming the character so this feels like a much better fit.

I am also going to change the Arcana composition to Force 2 Matter 2 Space 1 which will fit the Relic hunter ideal a bit better. I am going to stick with Obrimos because I like the idea that the character if fueled by the Strength of Knowledge as power even though the Moros are more academic I like that he isn't seeking relics and knowledge for knowledge sake but specifically as a tool for power. I picture his introduction into the Mysterium being something like an Escape room test where he would have to solve various riddles and puzzles to prove his worth. I also am thinking about tying int he Guardians of the Veil to his Awakening maybe having him not pass the Crimson Veil test or something.

Virtue and Vices would change to Fortitude and Pride

Does that sound good?

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

A couple of things -- you're still painting with pretty broad brush strokes. Twice above you suggested Path dictates/should 'match' personality and that isn't true. I'd also advise you read the Mysterium sourcebook rather than just self-declare what their initiation rituals are. Solving puzzles as initiation into the Mysteries couldn't be further from the truth.

They aren't big deals, and no bar to chargen since other facets square up BUT they will present problems (especially the latter) if presented ICly as fact.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

A
    Avner

Thanks for the clarification. I was going off what I read in the Core Mage book, but it honestly didn't give much detail other then the Members section which for that Order didn't mention much about the initiation. I will get my hands on the Mysterium Sourcebook and read up before presenting anything IC as knowledge/fact, I appreciate you guiding me in the right direction.

M
    Miliham

Shadowname: Thanatos
    Name: James Vorich
    Path: Moros
    Arcana: Death 2, Matter 2, Space 1
    Inferior: Spirit
    Favored Resistance: Composure
    Nimbus: Skeletal figures at the edges of vision, darkening of shadows
    Order: Mysterium
    Attributes: Mental> Physical > Social
    Virtue/Vice: Pride/Lust

Overview of Concept:
    He graduated from some Ivy league school, and his parents shipped him out to Cali at his request(good tech jobs). After a near death experience he started researching the afterlife and found references to Atlantis, and the Pattern (Pre-Awakening). When he was walking home he turned the wrong corner and ended up in a Mystery Play, seeing the city as a land of death and desolation, when stabbed by a mugger. His Awakening ended with him in the ER and his name etched on the Watchtower of the Lead Coin.
    I see James as a techie who had his life turned upside down. His new life has grown out of the best parts of his old life, his knowledge and skills as an academic. He has taken in with the Mysterium, to a safeguard the secrets, but also find ways to share those same secrets with other Mysterium mages in far-flung Libraries around the world. He does his best to never go outside, and when he does he makes sure to tell those he is with about his displeasure.

M
    Miliham

After further thought/work I'm shifted thanatos/James to better reflect what I was thinking about in his concept.

He was smart at least good enough to get through College with no hiccups, maybe a semester early. He usually just had a knack for finding the right book or website to find what he needed at any given time.(probably changes his path,nimbus,arcana,inferior, and resistance.)

he's not going to jump out and meet people, he prefers the loneliness of a monitor or the musk of a well travelled tome, but once you've gotten in he'll stick by you(as long as it doesn't hold him back) and he'll at least accept it when you come to call. The Internet has worked wonders for him, staying alone, but being able to connect with other people. i think I'm going to establish that he's already accepted most of the other mages of Sac but he's known to distance himself. He'll join in He does his part, but he's still wary of making the first move (except through net/phone/Sympathetic connection). He really is out to find the secrets that remain. Find what was before, and create/rediscover what has been lost. his mentor probably forced him out of his shell more than he would have liked. so he might not be as open as some to jumping in and running the show, but he is able to stand his ground take risks and learn things on his own, and not from a book.
    His mentor sent him from DC to give him a fresh start get him out of the Archives into the real world and to protect a long lost tome whose title was the only thing decipherable: Path to the Heavens.

Why the Mysterium? First, the mentor who helped him. Second, the belief that knowledge is power, and that magical knowledge is especially powerful. The Atlanteans were the pinnacle of mage society, and their scraps that survived if put together correctly could rebuild the lost age, this is a firm belief of his. While he has had dealings with Free Council, his strong belief in the strength of the past and the history of the Diamond sets him apart from them.

Twist

Hound, Lady Viscount, Invictus
    Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks •• (Alluring)
    Public Identity (Myah Torsione)
    Sand

Striking Looks •• (Curvy)

I think my concern is the loner aspect of the character.

If he is so happy being alone, what possibly would bring him into scenes? Make him work with the other couple mages already in existence? And if he is grumpy about it when he does... why would they bother hanging out with him in return? I would be worried the reluctant aspect to being social means no invites to plot, no desire from other toons/players to involve him and you will wind up just doing glimpses on your own.

M
    Miliham

so if he was more of a searcher, and less of a loner. still able to lose himself in research when he does it, but more able to go out and find the lost tomes, grab the artifact, find reasons to be with other mages.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

That would probably work better.

M
    Miliham

James Vorich (Khysmet)

Concept: lucky, knowledge-seeking researcher willing to go to any lengths to obtain lost knowledge.
    Virtue/Vice: Hope/Pride

Always seemed to find the right book for the right answers throughout his schooling, James was able to pass school a little faster than most; earning a bachelors in 3.5 years. He got a job in DC, and Awakened shortly after the Seers took over. A Mysterium mage was on a recovery mission, in an attempt to reclaim lost tomes from the Smithsonian, James just happened to be there at the same time, and the pair slipped out of DC. While the DC cabals are gathering their strength, James recently made a discovery on a sojourn to The Atheneums of DC, Path to the Heavens, a tome that has yet to be deciphered. In the process of getting out, James's luck was stretched, and the Seers were able to identify him. He was able to contact his mentor and was told that he should slip away, and disappear, providing him with contact information to the Sacrament Mystagogues.

This is there revised concept. should be a much more sociable character.

Page 10 of 21 First ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread