Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Character Concepts (Read 1st Post)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 16 of 21 First ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Hallow is not allowed at chargen
    That was a leftover house rule from an old ST that slipped by the usual house-cleaning when the torch passes. It is no longer in effect, the wiki has been updated, and

really big apologies

to anyone and everyone that's affected. That's my fault for missing that when I took over back then.

(Posted after checking with Yumyumcrow )
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

And I completely forgot to look as well.

3. Likes Kelreth, , Xander, Ruach liked this post

Twist Scenes

Hello.
    I am a new guy, that would like to make a mage. I have experience in forum games and I have already made my introduction.

So, concept!

I was leaning towards bookish Mysterium mage, that recently relocated to the City to be with his Fiance (a busy woman that travels often for work leaving him time to do mage-y things. She is not aware of magic and mages). I was thinking for my character to own a small bookstore, not occult one BTW, that has a few nice sturdy tables for people to read or to work and sells coffee and snacks too. People gathering to play board games are more than welcome as long as they are not loud and use the dedicated side-room to not annoy others. My char would have a master's degree in some science that he doesn't use much to the chargin of his a-couple-hours-away family although he would be doing part-time freelancing for universities (a little research, writing papers as 3rd-4th author, perhaps a bit Teaching Assistant or a presentation or two for students etc).
    That is more or less his "mortal" life. This kind of mortal life leaves his ample opportunity to do mage-stuff and research. His Fiance is often away for a week and her job is time-demanding. He can always close down the bookstore since he owns it and claim he has to be in the university or is busy writing a paper or doing research.

His other life, the mage life, is of course more complicated. As a member of the Mysterium (I plan to start with 1 dot in status if it is allowed at char creation) he has duties. My character won't be in a great hurry to build up immense knowledge and a huge lab. However, as he settles in, he wants to help others.
    He considers himself very much part of the mortal world and knowing that there are "things out there" he wants to keep them away from his loved ones, friends, customers etc. He also wants to keep dangerous knowledge (including scientific knowledge BTW) out of dangerous hands. I.e. He may try to hinder the spread of how to make bombs online and would like to stop hackers from stealing identities and hacking into bank accounts (he doesn't have the computer skills to do it though - so it's just that: a desire to stop them if he knew how).
    Now, my guy while not squeamish or a coward believes he's much better in the second line of combat. He will avoid being ground zero when mages battle a big abyssal infestation, he much prefers to be the guy researching weaknesses, how to locate said problem and play support while others fight.

What he is afraid of, is that his mage life will sooner or later invade his mortal life. That his activities would draw supernatural enemies to friends, loved ones and coworkers that are not aware of the threat and cannot defend themselves. Complains by his parents that their farm is beset by pests and parasites, or his fiance complaining about how the headquarters demand yet-again crunch-time and long hours, would have him checking that it is not Seers of the Throne, angry spirits or something more sinister than everyday problems of common people.
    He is also concerned that if this loved ones get glimpses of his "other" life they will freak out and cut him off. He is not paranoid, mind you. But he believes that it would be better for everyone if his second-life was kept away from his non-magical relationships.

This is it more or less for the time, but I expect my character's goals would expand and increase as I get into the game.
    I will totally find something cool to put here - eventually.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

Just a quick note - to "own" a business is covered by one of the in-site merits called "Site" and it is something that has to be bought during play.

In short, you won't be able to start the game with a bookstore, but you can 'establish' one once the character has been around a little while.

You may always wish to reconsider the Fiance, as that would probably end up being covered by the Retainer merit. If you go down that path, check with Saber Sloth first as she vets the character creation process.

Bookish Mysterium sounds a good concept to start with, by the way

Twist Scenes

I was planning to get her as a retainer, ranked 3 in fact. Thanks for the information. I will rethink the concept about the bookstore. I may simply... work in one. :-)

7. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post

Twist Scenes

If you go down that path, check with Saber Sloth first as she vets the character creation process.
    I have questions about the character creation and about the developing concept in my head, how to combine the two effectively to something that works for the chronicle and for my self. Should I FPM that poster with them?
    Or I should make all the decisions to the best of my ability and contact that poster with a finished character and concept, receive input and get it back?

0 Scenes

You can ask your questions here. Better to ask them and get them answered now then to have to have a back and forth over the Character sheet that might require a resubmission.

Twist Scenes

Well, question 1 answered already! It was "would back and forth over the character sheet require resubmission?"

More questions:

• I saw that "flaws" are not allowed. Can I ask for a "flaw-like trait" to spice up my otherwise vanilla character? Something not too bad from the "Traditional" witch flaws. Not milk going bad but something. Or inability to taste sweetness if it is raining or something similar that is slightly problematic for the character but not in any way affects the game.
    • On the other hand, if flaws are allowed, is it possible to have a flaw like a -1 to improvised magic rolls in direct daylight or something (without any bonuses to offset this. Just a small penalty that might lead to an XP bonus in a month if my char has to rely on casting by daylight to survive or progress). I would like to be able to say "My magic is stronger at night. It has to do with the Watchtower." being all mysterious and all, without revealing that at night my spells are normal but they're weaker in the day.
    • Since my character would be a Moros probably, can I put "Milk going bad" in the nimbus?
    • Since I can't own a bookstore-board gaming place, can I say that my resources come from "working in the bookstore owned by an elderly couple; husband is my father's 3rd cousin, wife is in a wheelchair so my uncle doesn't often go to the store and I have a lot of freedom to simply close it down early and go do mage business. " ? I would like to avoid a 9-5 inflexible work schedule.
    • I saw that I need "Status academics" to have a masters degree and write papers and collaborate professionally (as a part-timer freelancer) with unis. Does that also counts as contacts in my char's field of study, or I would have to buy contacts too?
    • I would like my char's' fiance to be financially independent. I saw that to give merits to a retainer, you need to buy the retainer at 3 dots. Would my fiance having resources 2 give my char access to a little more money? I don't plan to have my retainer pay for everything, but if we "split the bills" for the house and groceries etc, would my character have more funds available to him? Would my character be able to use her car if needed?
    • Is it possible to have sanctum 2, but the sanctum being a part of my character's house? I.e. the study of my char that has his computer and games and all? Is it possible for that sanctum to have a small inconspicuous hallow? (I.e. 2 dot sanctum: size 1 and hallow 1, part of the house). If that is not possible, could I put that "study" elsewhere but close? I.e. same building?

That's for now. I hope I didn't turn you off with my many questions.

0 Scenes

First. I'm just here to make sure Characters get their Approval and make sure XP is handled. I am not the Mage ST. In the future when there is a Mage ST the answers might change.

1) No flaws, or flaw-like traits.

2) The Nimbus would be the Scent of Milk Gone Bad? Sure. Just your presence/Nimbus turning milk sour wouldn't be allowed.

3) You can say that if you want.

4) You would have to buy Contacts/Allies as well.

5) Retainer's are Merits and not full characters. Your Retainer cannot have Resources exceeding your Character's. Anything bought with your Retainer's Resources is theirs and might not be available to your Character 24/7

6) If you want. You'd be newly moved to Sacramento, so you could have chosen a house with a small Hallow to move into.

12. Likes Fedup liked this post

Twist Scenes

Thank you.

Page 16 of 21 First ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread