Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Character Concepts (Read 1st Post)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 14 of 21 First ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... Last
    W
    Woland

I like the Engineer concept, partly because my mage is also a member of that Legacy - but also because I generally like characters who dream big! There's a lot of paths your PC can take, which means plenty of opportunity for role-playing.

Thanks both of you I'm glad the concept is being received well. I'll get to work on him asap.

3. Likes Ruach liked this post

In the body paragraphs, I tried to both answer many responses from this forum comprehensively as well as being as concise as possible. Open to stern criticism!

Character Photo: Rory McCann
    Character Concept: Grim Guardian - Goofy Friend

Being over 7ft has defined most of Ted ‘Coleridge Clay’ life, or Shadow Name: Baloo. When young, his large unwieldy body was an easy excuse to punish Coleridge for any nearby wrongdoing, and when older countless punks threw fists to get ‘tough cred’. As such, he developed a stoic exterior but continued being goofy to those close. After HS graduation he was picked up as a “heel” for a regional WWE-style wrestlemania, named The Monster!

But party tour-life wrought havoc on his newfound family and he reluctantly settled down as a HS teacher. His second child, daughter, brought about his Awakening as a Spirit Shaman. Under the tutelage of the Silver Ladder, Coleridge began to learn how to develop cryptopolies and secure the school systems from Spirit influences (“Spirits are assholes”). All sleepers should have access to the Mysteries in whatever capacity they can and hierarchies governed by laws are the best structures to fight wars. However, not even a Master Magus (he is not) could be a father, teacher, an Awakened, and cryptopoly leader in training all at once. Once irregular fights now blew up with intensity every week. His wife moved to Sacramento and, after a year, Coleridge followed.

He bought a Horse Farm outside of Sacramento and began to create an on site Veteran Halfway House program. Though through substitute teaching he tried to reintegrate himself, as before, into a cryptopoly but the Silver Ladder was resentful about Coleridge leaving his former post so quickly. Between dangerous/frustrating experiences with Spirits and his divorce, Coleridge developed resentment towards his Awakening.

Benji’s Advice In Character Concepts Forum: Be Useful to Others
    Fighter: Strength 4 + Brawl 4 + Brute Force 2
    Spirit: Spirit Arcana 3 - “Guardian of Borders”, “Spirits are Assholes”
    Social Skills: 11 Allocated
    4 Dot Haven (1 Security / 3 Size)

Supernatural Aspirations
    1. Become Provost/Sentinel with aim for Councilor.
    2. Become integrated into Silver Ladder Cryptopoly.
    3. Join Cabal who focuses on (X?) as “Bullet Sponge” & ”Spirit Guy”
    4. Secure farm supernaturally (Spirit/Dead/Space Mgk).
    5. Secure schools supernaturally (Spirit/Dead/Space Mgk).
    6. Make Cool Mage friends!! ^_^
    7. Make Cool Mage competitor!! 0_0

Mundane Aspirations
    1. Finish ‘Earthship” mud hut at Farm.
    2. Get partial custody of kids.
    3. Hired permanently at local High School.
    4. Collaborate with NGOs to establish Veteran Halfway House at Farm.

Oh, And...

5. "Move On" Romantically.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

My gut feeling is you're spreading yourself awful thin.

Academia Status
    Resources
    Giant Merit
    Ladder Status
    Fighting Style
    Haven
    Site requirements

I haven't tallied it and obviously the Site stuff can be back-burnered but it's a lot to have just to reach core concept before entering play. Three Arcana are a lot to plan on getting on top of, but goals are always nice, too.

...But Spirit/Death/Space? Sounds like you're stacking all the firewood to end up being off on your own.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

mmmmm yessss, come to the spirit side....

Wasn't getting:

Resources: Substitute teacher - Child Care Back Payments (IRS - spookier than Abyss? eek!)
    Academia/Ladder Status: Falling out with Silver Ladder.

Most stated are "work in progress" and/or goals.

Looking to Merits/Exp:

/w Beginning 7 Merit Dots: 3 Dots for 2 on Gnosis and 4 for Haven

/w 30 Starting XP: 20xp on Giant, 6xp on Fighting Style; with 4 floating.

Arcanum:

Spirit/Space/Life - 3/2/1

As far as being "Spirit Guy" there are not many ways to specialize, that I can see, other than getting Spirit Arcanum (Rotes/Praxis) and Socialize skills. All of the Spirit Merits are banned as far as I can tell - probably for good reasons, too! As well, as Benji mentioned, I took the advice for not being a 'one trick pony' and tried to find a compromise.

Help me if I'm missing something. You gals and guys are the pros!

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Okay, but you said he bought a horse farm. Resources have to reflect that.

Giant is chargen only, but you can swap Giant with Haven.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Hrm...

How many Resource dots will I need?
    Wasn't thinking of fancy dancey... more like hill billy, small farm house; old barn.
    If not horses maybe some other farm animal, not set on it really, but was trying to develop a point of interest.

What I've (think) got to work with:
    I ran the numbers again and you were right...
    I had to drop my second point of Fighting Style as I was not calculating the first 'Dot' in it.
    But by dropping down to Fighting Style 1 I "got back" four points.

Eight "Floating" Xp Dots in Total after: Giant (20x) and Fighting Style 1 (2x).

If necessary I would be willing to consider dropping a point of Wisdom.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Resources aren't just disposable income but also assets.

A couple of farm animals and patch of land for them to graze and range is easily going to be $10K, so Resources 3. Also note said animals will also have to exist off-screen and never provide an in-game benefit or must be bought as Retainers.

Page 14 of 21 First ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread