Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
21 - 30
DISPLAYED
FAQ & Your Questions!

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 12 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last

Wayland

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (0/3)

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (3/3)

??? (Cloaked, Pot 4)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 6)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 7)

Can someone explain to me how NPC defense is calculated for dice rolls in combat scenes?

I've read a couple of story threads now, and I see that when Casitive rolls for attack rolls, the player's defense/Mage Armour is subtracted from the roll as normal, but when the players roll their attack rolls the reverse is not applied.

Is there a reason for this, or is it just an oversight?

Cheers

T

As a player, NPC defense is easy because you don't have to think about it. You roll your full dice pool and the ST subtracts from the right in lieu of you subtracting dice from the roll.

The reason the full dice pool is rolled is that there are a bunch of things you can do, actively or reflexively to modify the attacker's die pool (e.g. dodge, all out attack, use willpower, use a fighting style) and while in tabletop games these are quick to resolve, on pbp they would double the time it took to resolve combat.

Whether you're going against NPCs or PvP this puts the onus on the players to be explicit about what they're doing/utilising and to be clear about the result of attacks directed at you so STs and other players know what's going on and can adjust their numbers accordingly.

3. Likes Yumyumcrow, West liked this post

Wayland

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (0/3)

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (3/3)

??? (Cloaked, Pot 4)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 6)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 7)

Ok.... Don't quite get it. I understand the time delay issue and I'm cool with that. It just seems that the attacking person get a big advantage to not apply negs to the rolls.

If a player rolls a full dice pool and gets 5 successes, then how do you apply the negs after the roll??

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Dice are subtracted from the right side of the roll, and the results accordingly altered.

You're looking at just the rolls, those rolls' results are then modified by the ST 'off screen'.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Wayland

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (0/3)

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (3/3)

??? (Cloaked, Pot 4)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 6)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 7)

A question about the venue sub-forums. What are the purposes of the sub-forums and what dictates what kind of posts go in each?

For instance, in the Through the Veil forum, I assume that general scene threads go in the main forum, but what determines what threads go in the Concilium/Awakening/Herald sub-threads? I guess the concilium and herald ones are fairly self explanitory, but the Awakening sub-forum i guess is the one im the most confused about.

Cheers!

Caleb Fischer
    Caleb Fischer

Predator's Bearing

The main Through the Veil forum is for open social threads, plot threads, and things like that.

Awakening is largely for private social threads.

Consilium is for (obviously) Consilium Meetings.

Herald is for Status and Announcements by the important peeps of the Consilium.

Circe
    Circe
    Circe Scenes

Rage singing, no work with Ozzy, Shake the shanty

I am wondering about the mystical character development route I have Morgan on. The plan is for her to become a Lord Sage of the Unknown Reaches.

In theory, this would mean she is aware/in contact with other supernaturals. However, as far as I can tell by official forum rules it only guarantees she has access to the Fetish Merit. Is this correct? Or would becoming a Lord Sage also give Morgan the access to other venues somehow? Like the merit Contacts with other venues?

That inquiry aside, I find the idea of the Morgan gaining access to Memory Clout and/or the Shrill Skull to be amusing.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

It would be up to each venue ST.

Speaking for Vampire, you are correct -- it would not confer anything outside of the Changeling venue.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

10. Likes Origins liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

As I said, the stuff behind the scenes is a mystery to me. It's not like there's an on-boarding process here at EoD except with regards to getting your character sanctioned, and nobody ever really has this kind of discussion. In fact, I've hesitated to even bring it up, because I've been concerned of being accused of meta-gaming, or be criticized for having insufficient faith in the STs. I don't feel as though I've been welcomed to be part of that conversation.
    It's not intentional.

Probably every staff member (and some players) have tried to put effort into welcoming new people. It's draining, and even more so when 9/10 of them are gone a week later. Then you say to yourself, "Well, let's see if they stick around before I invest," and by the time you realize that they have, you assume they know/have figured out everything.

On top of that, the majority of the staff are emergency conscripts -- becoming STs because it was needed, most of the time needed to keep the venue from simply shutting down. By the time they sort through what's going on, what they need to do, and tweak the game to their liking, there's not much left to 'give' beyond trying to continue the current Stories.

So, it's a weakness; a fault.

But it's not intentional, nor is discussion unwelcome.

Regarding level 2 of the Fighting Style: Grappling merit; is it applicable only when the fighter initiates a grapple? Or could it be used as an "overpower" maneuver in the midst of an ongoing grapple?

Page 3 of 12 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread