Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
A random encounter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Morgan Bellanar

(A random encounter)Changeling Spent
    PRE

In Coloma Park the late morning weather was splendid, not too hot or too cold. The sun shining in the sky would make it a great picnic day for any family. As such, there were a few of those plus plenty of people out jogging or walking for excercise. It was a great day for most folks in the park though one person on a bench was a little off put by the crowd. Then again, said person was waiting for privacy.

Morgan was sitting with a book, reading and waiting for the mundanes nearby to leave. She wanted to check under the garbage can for messages but was aware it would be odd behavior to any observer. So she'd just read her book until the walkers left. It wasn't a good book really, a cheap one from a book sale. Just a novel about mystery and mysticism or something that didn't make much sense to her. The mystery unveiling at least was engrossing. Eventually the mundanes left and the beast quickly dropped down to check under the can now that no mundanes were around to notice.

And it turns out the bottom of the trashcan is barren of messages, memos, notes, or notifctions. Morgan was really glad her trashcan jobs debt was almost finished.

2. Likes TheMalkCat liked this post
    D
    DamoclesImpaled

There were many odd things to see when your eyes could pierce Mask, and not a day went by when something new and odd surprised Jason. That said, the sight of a raccoon-girl looking over a trashcan seemed surprisingly normal. At least when compared to other things he'd seen as a Changeling.

He had planned on just taking a walk through the park, though he was well aware that people were a bit intimidated by him. It probably didn't help that he was, technically-speaking, homeless. He hadn't really expected to encounter anyone at all, much less another Changeling. I should probably get used to that... Sacramento seems to be filled to burst with people like us.

Jason was struggling with the urge to approach her. It was partly out of a sense of wanting to meet yet another one of the Lost, and another Beast at that, but he would be lying if he said that was all there was to it. Though he hated every second he was reminded of how he was no longer purely human, he felt the overwhelming desire to try and chase this unknown person. Her appearance really only made this worse.

You're not a dog. Don't act like one.

Carefully, trying not to approach too quickly lest he scare her and set her off running, the Hunterheart moved closer to the Changeling. He couldn't tell what Court she belonged too... her Mantle seemed to be too weak to be noticeable. Still, he should try to leave a good first impression, regardless of affiliation.

"Hey... I think that's public property."

He mentally face-palmed. How eloquent. Truly, I am a master at interacting with new and interesting people. Sometimes I'm surprised I haven't starved to death, honestly.

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Morgan was grumbling in annoyance at finding the trashcan barren once more. She didn't have a problem with free jobs that aided the Freehold, but constantly checking with no results was getting irksome. Then someone was speaking behind her, with her not hearing their approach. The beast squeaked as she jumped up, the hair on her head actually brushing against the canister's metal rim as she started to panic. Excuses-excuses-excuses!

The steepscrambler didn't waste time on thinking or assessing the situation, there was no time. The motor mouth reved up to blast out whatever excuses popped in her head, "Oh, well yes but-totally not messing with it at all just, heh-heh, t-thought I saw something, um-uh shiny! Yeah, like a dollar no-no a bookmark. Wait, I dropped my pen, it-it was a pen bookmark--" she stopped as she finished turning to look at the person and blinked, "Wait, no-no-not, that's stupid, I--""

Morgan stopped again as her mind finally took in details about the person she was speaking to. The teeth were the first thing she noticed: sharp, obvious, and triggering old fears for the little raccoon. It was a predator and threat, she should run or grab a knife from her little backpack. The only thing pushing back her panic was the other prominent feature her mind noted: he was really damn skinny, like starving level. That triggered other old instincts to give aid, conflicting with her fear. Morgan didn't recognise the changeling but she couldn't have met everyone in the Freehold, right?

She just...really, really needed to stop staring at his teeth, "Oh, h-hello there. Heh-heh, how are you? Don't think seen you before, maybe-new or-or maybe just not meet, not-sure...Um, heh-heh, are-well-maybe," her eyes finally darted from his mouth, which made things a little easier. She just needed to ignore them and she'd get calmer, "Sorry-sorry rude right-yup. Um, heh-heh, I'm Morgan. Hope nice meet you a-and that you are doing good b-but if not maybe help."

Well this was a little awkward. A new worrisome thought occured to her. The beast nervously raised a hand and pointed a finger at Jaso, "Um, you...you aren't one of Harvey's message delivery folks, heh-heh...are you?" She finished with a very worried smile on her face, because that outcome would be really awkward.

5. Likes TheMalkCat liked this post
    D
    DamoclesImpaled

In retrospect, it was a bit naïve of Jason to not imagine someone freaking out when their first encounter with him was capitalized by him sneaking up on them. Even more so when the person in question resembled a prey animal and he himself felt an urge to chase them. I really need to get a handle on this whole 'scaring the living hell out of people in casual conversation' thing I have going on. It's not great.

He was about to apologize, but then his ears were assaulted by a number of rapid-fire, nervous excuses and he could scarcely think as he attempted to process everything Morgan had just said. Finally, she stopped talking. It took a couple of seconds for the Hunterheart to get his thoughts back on-track as his mind struggled to process the flurry of words and the Changeling's appearance in one sitting. She clearly resembled a raccoon which explained his impulses to try and chase her, something he was barely managing to keep suppressed. The lack of control over base urges was probably one of his least favorite parts of being a Changeling.

"Considering I have no idea who that is, no. I'm not a messenger." He counted it a blessing that she hadn't run away by this point. "And I think it'd be safe to assume we haven't met before, no. I'm kind of new to the local... community." It wasn't untrue, but it wasn't as though he'd just shown up in Sacramento yesterday. "I don't suppose you were at the... Coronation?" He was careful to keep his voice low, lest anyone be listening in. You never can be too careful, I guess.

He quickly shook his head in response to his own question. "Never mind, doesn't matter." It wasn't as though he had distinguished himself there anyway. At least, not in any positive way. Being 'that guy that was verbally bitchslapped by the new King' probably isn't a great first impression to leave someone with. He extended a hand. "I'm Jason, by the way. I swear, I'm not as scary as I look." He smiled slightly, though that might not have actually helped him look less threatening. Yes, totally. Not scary. Just keep telling yourself that...

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

This guy wasn't one of Harvey's messengers. That was a huge relief. And his new status was a little clear since he didn't know what seemed to be the Freehold's most used alias. But at least he kept his voice low when talking about it. Best to make sure he knew, "Y-you mean the CLUB's most recent event for CLUB members like us, heh-heh, right? Y-yes I was there but yay-good tend not to be noticed now. Not center of-involved-in stuff for a change--heh-heh nevermind that." At the last part the steepscrambler raised both her hands, waving them in the "ignore this please" gesture.

Morgan didn't feel like bringing up the troubles she was involved in last year at the Autumn Coronation or Halloween. Best to focus on other things to worry about, "Nice meet you Jason and you don't look teeth--erm, predat--heh-heh, scary. And, a piece of suggestion, ah-ha, advice." Okay, so she was still nervous. The guy had prominent, sharp teeth! Kinda the raccoon's big fear right there. And she was keeping him waiting, "The CLUB likes to keep things private, members only and such. So, uh, club names for events like the party we both went to with the crown. Eh, best not say specifics about club in public places b-but being quiet about it was good, heh-heh." She tried to give him friendly smile, but it wasn't exactly a good one.

Wouldn't do to have the mundanes walk by and hear about that kinda thing. Oh Morgan had thought of some explanations, that wasn't the concern. The concern was some rumors she once heard, about humans hunting the Lost. Best to think of something less depressing, "So, if you're new then can I ask how you are doing with Sacremento? All settled in and stuff, erm doing well? I-I don't mean to pry but well... its just that, you--No offense, but you seem a little heh...under fed?"

Yup, that wasn't rude at all, nope. Hope not big meat muncher and take it as offer to bite. Shut up. Really should'a run. Nonono, at Freehold and took the oath. Yes-yup-good he surely truley did. So he won't eat me, yay. That combined with not looking at his teeth did help her calm a little more.

D
    DamoclesImpaled

Jason retracted his hand as Morgan continued to go off at machine-gun speed about... well, about a lot of things. She's a nervous wreck who talks a lot. I guess there are worse people out there, though. If nothing else, his urge to try and chase her had subsided. Maybe it was because of her rapid-fire chatter, or maybe he had gotten a hold on his instincts. It didn't really matter either way at this point. He was still struggling to sort out all the information his ears had just been assaulted by.

Well, I suppose it makes sense to call it something other than 'Freehold' in case someone else is listening. He gave a nod at her mentions of the 'club'. "I suppose that makes sense, yeah. Thanks for the heads-up." Somehow he felt that even saying that little to her might send the raccoon into a nervous breakdown. 'Skittish' did not even begin to describe her.

And then, unexpectedly, the conversation turned towards himself. He was initially taken aback and tried to quickly think of another topic but was unable to do so and, with a shrug, gave up and tried to answer her question. Answer it as vaguely and noncommittally as possible, but answer nonetheless. "Don't worry about it. It's mostly just appearance. I'd look skinny even after a five-course meal, it's just how I am." That said, he hadn't had a decent meal since the Coronation. "I'm nice and settled, yeah. No need to worry about it."

That last part was just short of a flat-out lie. Jason was more-or-less a homeless person which, while not an uncommon situation to be in among the Lost, was a contributing factor for his malnourishment. I've only got two questions: why does she care and why do I care enough about what she thinks to lie about it? If he really wanted to, Jason could probably try scaring her away but... she at least seemed to be genuinely concerned. There was no real harm in it.

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Morgan was relieved that Jason got it. She'd made that mistake originally too before learning the lingo for talking about the Freehold without actually mentioning anything specfiic about the Freehold. It could get confusing sometimes but at least no mundanes had ever bothered her about it. Nor had any mundanes ever caught her when she or someone else slipped up. That one hobgoblin with the frizbee didn't count.

So he wasn't actually strarving then? Morgan let out a relieved sigh at the information. It was good to know that he was physically okay, simply a matter of how he looked not actual troubles. "Oh, heh-heh, well glad that you are okay. And sorry for, you know, heh, jump jumping to conclusions and stuff." She took a seat back on the bench at that. After a second, she motioned for him to do the same with a shrug, implying "if you want or not."

A confused look passed over her face, mixed in with concern. The beast might be skittish, but she was also good at reading people's speech and behavior. Right now, she could tell Jason wasn't being cincere about how "settled" he was. Why lying about being okay? Ask him? Nonono, he probably not wanna talk about it. Sure? If he wanted he'd talk about it. Apartment no good. Neighbors great for glamour--oh, too small and noisy. Why everybody hate noisy so much? Focus. Mention places that can help if he needs it? Good, but how? Get him talking. Oh, right. She wasn't exactly good at being subtle but at least she was less stupid now then she used to be. Looking back at him she again avoided staring at his teeth, and managed to crank down the motor mouth a little. Oh she was still talking fast, just the words weren't crashing together this time, "Well its good that you are doing good. Kind of hard to find club places now after...after the Four Seasons happened. But-but there are a few places I know. Been here a while, not as much as others, but maybe can help if looking for places or, uh, club officers? L-like Betony at her Boarding House? I've given groceries to there so I know how to get to it. And know a couple of club businesses, Katrin's store...no idea where the summer boss hangs his hat. She didn't seem to concerned at the last part. The guy had not made much of an impression on the beast, good or bad.

Betony's ire was a unpleasant memory. But at least Morgan had the fear of the Autumn Queen dealt with. She'd seen the "nicer" side of Betony too. Still, if given a do over for that Halloween, Morgan was sure she'd do the same thing again. But he was probably waiting on her to finish talking, "Heh-heh, so if, uh, you want to ask some questions-quiz about t-town I can help. Take many shortcuts too so I know Sacramento's streets, alleys, and roofs good heh-heh. Or if you wanna just chat on other stuff, that is good too, right?."

D
    DamoclesImpaled

OOC

Am I really that pathetic that any Changeling I come across, no matter how inherently nervous they are themselves, take pity on me? He mentally winced at the thought as Morgan just kept talking. His excuse had been admittedly weak, but he hadn't wanted her to actually go out of her way to help him. He was just about to tell her to forget about it until she mentioned a 'Boarding House' and decided that for once he shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

He politely waited for her to finish speaking, though he was admittedly only half-listening, before addressing her. She had mentioned that she knew the city pretty well and he was pretty tempted to ask about what she knew... though that might mean relating a bit of personal information which he wasn't so keen on doing. Right now, I live in public parks and alleyways. I think there are worse things than placing my trust in someone, for once. He gave a slight sigh before speaking up. "I used to live here before... stuff happened. I kinda remember the place, but no really. It's... my brain is a little frazzled, alright? It's hard to remember everything about the city so... if you could just talk about it, it might job my memory a little." He felt a bit embarrassed even relating that much and he felt his cheeks get a little warm. Annoyed, he turned his head and furrowed his brows before continuing the conversation.

Once he was suitably sure that he wasn't blushing anymore, he turned back to Morgan, eyebrows still furrowed. "Although, it's not really important. I think finding a better place to stay would be more important. Actually, that Boarding House sounds like it might be a good place to stay. If you don't mind, I'd like to know a little bit more about it." He didn't mean to sound bossy or aggressive, but he was still feeling a little embarrassed about telling a more-or-less stranger that he was trying to piece his pre-Durance memories together like some kind of fairy-tale character. It was a stupid predicament to be in in the first place and only served to remind him of his state of being. Plus it makes me feel like I'm some kind of character in a story you'd read to a five-year-old to help him go to sleep. Yeah, that really makes me feel like I can be taken seriously.

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

He's polite. Not rolling his eyes or getting annoyed at the ramblings thats good. Really good not growling and showing teeth and biting--stop thinking on the teeth already. I've seen scarier and he not like them as he hasn't tried to kill/eat me. True much. Then Jason started talking and the beast did her best to listen. She was a little confused when he turned away from her and worried she'd offended him somehow. But then he turned back so maybe not.

A fuzzy memory of the past? The beasts could relate on that. Hell, Morgan remembered so little from her mortal life she sometimes wasn't sure how much of it was correct or not. She'd come back with enough worldly knowledge to function on but personal memories were scarce. She gained some respect for Jason, as he was at least looking into his past whereas she'd given up on it. Well, she had other priorities and now was far from where she'd escaped. She hoped she could help, "I understand, I can't recall really any past before they took us--me and got thrown to the gree--erm nope-not-now-no." She'd briefly gone vacant eyed and monotone while talking before she shook her head. She raised both hands in a negative waving motion before continuing with a nervous smile, "No mind-worry-bother on that. Sorry-sorry you wanted me to talk-speak about Sacremento and Betony--Queen--eh-heh, Mrs. Jasons' place yup-yes?" Morgan needed to not think about the Screaming Jungle, especially considering Jason's dentures. Put those two together and the steepscrambler would probably end up clinging to the top of one of the park's lamp posts.

She closed her eyes before taking a deep breath to calm herself. She'd gotten close to rambling and blurting Freehold titles after she'd told him to avoid that wouldn't do. After a moment she spoke again, still faster then average but not as bad as before, "Okay, Edna's Boarding House first, yup-yes. Heh, the place is run by a club officer, named Betony Rue Jasons, to help new arrivals. She is kinda, um, the boss for the Autumn Season. She can be scary-lots but, heh, I've dropped off groceries to them a-and she can be reasonable too. Um, she does charge a rent which can be-maybe cash or, heh, other ways to support the club." It hadn't been much of a rent either. Morgan could cover it with her spare cash. Her eyes drifted back to his teeth before shooting up to look at Jason's forehead, "T-the rent wasn't bad. Less then my place w-with more room and q-quieter neighbors don't know why'd want that though." she mumbled the last part.

As for the rest of town, well that covered a lot. Considering how Morgan got around she saw plenty of locations from a lot of different angles. Might want to narrow it down a little. The steepcrambler actually perked up a little as she was going to be talking about something she was good at. Her tone was less nervous and more stable: "Heh, as for the rest of the city, I been across lots of it. I'm a courier, do parkour fun, and no car so I see lots of town, whenever I run around. Pretty-truly sure you don't wanna know about alleys, shorcuts, rooftops, or passages but want something not general-instead be memorable, right? Maybe landmarks, parks, or clubs, heh-heh, party clubs not our group club. Maybe the schools and colleges? Given-admit ain't seen the insides of them but the grounds are good for practice when empty of folks. Colleges nicer about my practice then the others. Aaand both have stuff displaying for sports. Maybe, might be you know-recall a mascot or logo? All else f-fails I can just start talking and describe places that I think are famous 'til I run out." If they were doing the last one, she was going to insist on food and a drink. She'd pay but a dried out motor would do no good for her mouth.

OOC

D
    DamoclesImpaled

And again Morgan's mouth went off at about a mile a minute though, in an odd way, Jason found it a little charming. Whether it was because it reminded him of some terrified animal chattering away in fear before a predator or because of something far less creepy, he had no idea. Thankfully, he was managing to get the hang of following her speech. It was a little easier to at least pick out the important parts from the nervous ramblings. Certainly not social skills I'd have thought I would pick up.
    He was actually a little relieved to hear there was lodgings owned by the Autumn Queen. Strangely enough, Jason found Autumn Changelings more agreeable than other non-Summer courtiers. Despite Spring and Summer supposedly being close, he felt little love for the season of joy. My only experiences with Spring have typically been junkies, assholes, skirt-chasers, or some combination of all three. Autumns may be creepy, but they're not nearly as obnoxious. He nodded at Morgan, though he could have sworn she mumbled something after mentioning the Boarding House. "I'd like to hear more about this Boarding House, if you don't mind. Though... I take it you don't live there?" She had muttered something to that effect, he thought, though he may have just misheard. "As for landmarks..." The Hunterheart looked away for a moment as he tried to scrape together a few bits of memory. "I think... if you can tell me about any Police stations, that'd probably be enough."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread