Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Meeting the Prince

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Dr. Swift arrives at the Avalon a good 15 minutes early. He is dressed in his normal attire of a black duster and fedora over black slacks and a white oxford, but tonight he is perhaps a bit more clean cut than normal. His pants and shirt have been pressed and his duster has seen the inside of a dry-cleaners. He had told himself over and over to arrive only 5 minutes early, but couldn't seem to stop himself from adding more and more time to his commute plans, just to be certainhe wasn't late.

Herald Villiers had done as promised and arranged a meeting for him with His Grace the Alder Prince. She had intimated at their previous meeting here at the Avalon that His Grace wished to meet with more members of the Domain, and given that Valencia was currently without a Regent, and thus under the direct administration of the Prince, this meeting made perfect sense. However, logic does not do much for Dr. Swift's nerves.

He checks his hat, coat, and cane at the desk upstairs and makes his way into the basement where Elysium is kept. Trying to remain calm he lets the Aspect of the Predator slip away. While normally a boon and a shield, tonight it would be a violation of laws and a challenge he did not wish to make. Dr. Swift hates being afraid, but he doesn't have a death wish.

Making his way from the common area into the hall of private rooms and offices he takes a moment to steady his nerves before taking a glance at the Prince's own office. If it's open, I'll knock and apologize for being early. Otherwise, I'll just find a place to wait until the proper time...

I spoke with Chrisie and she said to go ahead and set up this scene .
    @West , Chrisie , Vampire ST

Martha Villiers

PRE

The door to the Herald's chamber carefully opens as Dr Swift approaches the Prince's door. The small creature limps out and smiles.

Nodding her head in greeting.

To prepare for the evening Ma
    rtha had made a real effort to dress up. She wore a tastefully long red satin gown; she'd added a red shawl, long black opera gloves, a red clutch bag and a dab of ruby red lipstick and blusher. Her raven dark hair is piled in a very elegant Gibson Girl style up-do. She has no Blush of Life but there's a fresh aroma of minty toothpaste which follows her around.

Red high heels peek from under the hem of her gown as she limps heavily along even though Martha was determined to use her simple metal walking stick as little as possible.

"Good evening, Doctor!" she chirped, "I hope you are well! Very punctual! Did you wish to follow me, Doctor?"

She leaned on her cane. With her free hand she gestured to invite Dr Swift into her own Chamber and waited to see what Dr Swift had to say next.

Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

Dr. Swift smiles as the small Herald appears from her office. "Thank you, Herald," he nods and follows her gestures in to the office. Noticing exactly how nice the Herald looks this evening, the archaeologist suddenly feels very shabby by comparison. He fervently hopes he hasn't already destroyed any chance he has at making a good first second impression simply by not dressing up enough. It had been the best he could do on relatively short notice - or, rather, the best he felt comfortable doing. He had worn a tuxedo once in his life, but only once and that for a black tie event that had required it for a dinner with the University Board held annually to celebrate those receiving doctorate degrees. He really did not feel comfortable in overly formal attire and for tonight he had felt the forfeiture of even more comfort would offset the benefit of spending all his steepened would allow on clothes. Besides, it felt dishonest to him, and Dr. Swift loathed dishonesty.

"I am well, Herald. I trust the evening finds you well? Allow me to say, Herald Villiers, you are a vision tonight."

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha smiled and seemed taken aback by his kind words, "Thank you very much, Doctor! Your kind words are much appreciated!" she giggled meekly, "I am well, thank you..."

Once the Doctor steps inside her Chamber he will see it is large and packed with books, maps and all manner of paperwork.

There is cleanliness and order.

On one wall there are three modern, if large, stark and dramatic framed photo prints of ballerinas in tutus. Each is captured holding a ballet pose against a dark background. Another print hangs on another wall: a large framed copy of John Waterhouse's 'Lady of Shalot.' Between these are three large maps of Sacramento are pinned to walls. They each seem to detail various aspects of the Kindred domain and are heavily annotated with marker pen text, Post-it notes and various diagrams superimposed over that of the mortal map.

Erected to conceal a quarter of her Chamber from view is a tall Chinese screen. A fire extinguisher is obvious as is an office desk. Her main desk is free of clutter. All that is on it are two glass tumbler, a carafe of fresh lemonade and a map of Sacramento detailing the Valentia area.

Five bookcases are placed up against the walls. Each case is brimming and over filled with pre-owned books. They all look, at first glance, to be textbooks and non-fiction. There's a cheap looking laptop and printer on a spare desk not far from the Chinese screen.

For seating there are several comfortable chairs and two couches. A coat rack and a seat are opposite her desk. There is the aroma of fresh lemons.

"Please...please, Doctor, do make yourself comfortable! Do be seated." she seems, as always, sincere and smiles to Dr Swift while making a gentle hand gesture to indicate she may sit down on one of the nearby chairs. "Might I interest you in some lemonade, Doctor?"

Martha limps heavily and is making good use of her cane. Not quite sitting, not quite standing. Resting her cane across her lap as she does so. Smiling. Waiting.
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

Dr. Swift takes a quick look around the office as he makes his way to one of the chairs Herald Villiers indicated. The number of books surprises and pleases him and he mentally smiles at the prominent fire extinguisher wondering briefly if that had always been there or was a recent addition after the close encounter in the University lab. Herald Villiers is a resourceful person, and went for the extinguisher with surprising speed and skill. My money's on being here all along.

The map of Valencia catches him by surprise, but is also a pleasant one. He had been quite focused on the region recently. The Temple, of course, is within the boarders of the Regency, and he had spent much of his time traveling back and forth between the University and the area. True, traveling by flight made the journey both peaceful and quick, but it was draining on his reserves. It had provided him with ample opportunity to see the area from the sky, and he had actually circled the region a few times despite the fact the the Temple was on the very southeastern edge making such a flight unnecessary. He felt the area was perhaps rather undervalued by many of the Kindred of Sacramento and was surprised so few actually attempted to acquire feeding rights there.

Dr. Swift doesn't notice the smell of lemons or the carafe of lemonade until the Herald offers him some. The presence of a Kine drink - let alone the offer - takes him by surprise. He had heard rumors of Herald Villier's lemonade, but had thought them immaterial until now. He immediately wonders if this is some sort of test. Perhaps she's curious which route I'll take, yes or no? Does yes mean I'm too young or sentimental? Does no mean I've lost touch with my Humanity? Maybe the test isn't about that at all, maybe it's to see how long I'll hesitate, leaving her standing there awkwardly when she's clearly taking a lot of effort simply to be polite? Goddess, have I waited too long already?!?

Before the paranoiagasm can begin to build toward a totally paralytic climax Dr. Swift makes a decision. "Yes please, and thank you. It has been a long time since I've had lemonade." And that was the truth. He wasn't honestly certain if he'd had any food or drink since his Embrace. The goddess knew it didn't sound appealing, but maybe it would still taste like lemonade? Thus the scholar in him wins out.

Then he has an awful thought, Oh fuck! Am I supposed to pour? Would that be the polite thing to do or would it imply she's incapable and thus be insulting? His sire had gone to great lengths to make certain Dr. Swift knew enough of Kindred and Invictus etiquette to survive in court, but he'd never covered lemonade or seemingly crippled Heralds. Settling on indecision Dr. Swift stands only moments after sitting and half leans forward, "Shall I pour?"

Martha Villiers

PRE

"Ah, not at all, Doctor...I shall pour for you..."

She watched with wide and patient eyes as Dr Swift struggled with what to do next.

The small creature offered him a gentle and reassuring smile and hobbled around her desk to gather the carafe and began to pour the drink for him. Handing him the bright smelling drink with gracious gestures and another sweet smile. The relics and pith of freshly squeezed lemons is obvious, but not intrusive, in the pure drink.

Should he taste it, it seems like normal, homemade lemonade

"There you are, Doctor!"

Once he'd taken custody of the drink, she perched herself once more at the edge of her desk. Taking care not to disturb the map or seem to be 'hovering' over her guest.

"It is good to see you again, Doctor." another sweet smile, "Now, I shall explain: I regret that His Majesty was detained elsewhere this evening...matters of the Domain are always emerging that require his immediate, urgent and...most importantly...personal attention. His Majesty has, as his Herald and Seneschal, left me with the proper authority to speak with you on the matters you wish to discuss whilst he is unable to attend this evening."

"Be assured, I shall do all I can to avoid being a disappointing substitute and to try to make certain we reach a mutually agreeable conclusion of business!"

She briefly rubbed at her false knee...a knee well hidden by her long satin gown...smiled to Dr Swift and added sweetly,
    "But...before we commence talk of business, did you have anything you wished to raise or speak of? I have time...there is no urgency, so we may linger on matters that interest you."

Her words seem sincere.

Dr. Swift gladly accepts the lemonade, very glad that the entire situation seems to have been resolved without any insult misstep. He takes a brief moment to let some of his vitae surge outward from his core and suffuse his skin and organs, feeling his heart lurch suddenly in his chest and his diaphragm reflexively contract and relax, while his vision was just fine before his irises suddenly contract and dilate to find the correct degree of light, and, most importantly, his stomach shudders to life and prepares to at least store the drink for a time.

He raises the glass to his lips with a curious expression on his face and sips. His eyes open a bit wider and he smiles. Taking another sip he then grins at the Herald. "It's good!" he says with a note of surprise in his voice. He had heard that all mortal food tasted like ash to Kindred. Was that simply not true, or did the Herald have some secret method of making food taste normal? Somehow I doubt it's an issue of spiking it with Vitae - though to be fair I've never tasted such so I wouldn't know - but I think vitae might show up in a relatively clear drink like lemonade. Besides, in the year and a half since he'd come to the Domain he had never once had a reason to suspect the Herald of subterfuge or deceit.

When she mentions that the Prince was busy tonight Dr. Swift feels an odd mix of emotions play through his mind: disappointment that he wouldn't actually be meeting with the Prince tonight, but also relief. He had seen His Majesty at court several times, but had always found the man intimidating. The one time he had ever had direct contact with the Prince had been in the middle of a mass frenzy and he had been in the process of bodily restraining one of the Prince's own cousins...

"I am disappointed to hear that His Majesty will not be able to see me this evening, but I do understand. I can only imagine how busy he must be." Dr. Swift gives the Herald a genuine smile and continues, "I doubt anyone could find you a disappointing substitute. After all, His Majesty clearly has faith in your ability to administer to his domain, so why would anyone not share that faith in your ability to act in his stead?"

Truthfully, the issue of feeding rights and tenancy in Valencia was the topic of greatest immediate interest to Dr. Swift, but the Herald had given an invitation to ask about other things. Dr. Swift wondered if maybe she had a desire to speak of other topics as well. Certainly she always seemed eager to please and to discuss on any number of topics. He gestures to the five separate bookcases adorning the room. "This is quite the impressive collection of texts for an office, Herald Villiers. I must admit that as a scholar I am curious as to what secrets your library might hold. Are there any topics in particular you favor here? Or perhaps any stories of interest behind any of your acquisitions?"

Martha Villiers

PRE

Excited by the Doctor's interest in her books, Martha carefully un-perches from the desk and, making heavy use of her cane, she limps heavily over to the nearest bookcase. Smiling, Martha pulls a small volume from a high shelf. It looks like an old book. Perhaps from the early 1900's.

"Indeed. Indeed! I have a strong interest in sociology...cultural studies...anthropology...history...the history of art..." a small wave of her cane to identify each section of her library. As Robert looks with greater care, he can see there are many, many textbooks. If she's read all these, the store of her knowledge must be wide.

"This one I found in that splendid bookshop Written in Water over at the Galleria Centre..." she shows Robert the small, slim red covered and otherwise anonymous college textbook. Clearly treating it's ageing pages with care.

"As you see, there are many handwritten annotations by the previous owner...there were maps in it too." she smiles. She always enjoyed finding maps. Her eyes sparkled.

"...a Doctor Samuel Pelham. An American scientist...somewhat unusual too. He worked around the turn of the last century and was linked with the early researches of Percy Lowell. Pelham's life was often mysterious at best!" she smiles cryptically. "I consider myself fortunate to have found such a book!" she smiles once more. Clearly sincere. "As with myself, he fancied himself an explorer." she giggled playfully. Hopefully aiming to draw only the vaguest of links to Dr Pelham's vaulting ambition and her own modest efforts.

As the Herald moves over the bookcase Dr. Swift stands and follows suit, carefully setting down his lemonade after taking another sip. It really was good lemonade and it had been so long since he'd had something of the kind. He knew later it would be unpleasant, but he doubted he'd regret the choice.

Dr. Swift can't help but let his enthusiasm show through, "Maps?" he asks in genuine surprise and interest as he follows the Herald over to the shelves. "What sort of maps?" He listens intently to her descriptions. "I cannot say I'm familiar with Dr. Pelham, but I have heard of Lowell. He was the fellow who postulated the existence of canals on Mars, yes? Had quite the following of armchair xeno-archaeologists if I remember correctly." He smiles, intrigued, "Indeed, such a find is fortunate. What can you tell me about Dr. Pelham? I love a good mystery."

Dr. Swift is completely attentive and animated now, the Blush of Life that allows him to enjoy the lemonade also giving him the small tics of life to augment his excitement. He was a scholar and an academic, but so often - especially of late - found himself in the role of teacher rather than student. All true academics loved the thrill of new knowledge and discovery and to be able to learn was always an exciting opportunity.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha had to admit to something, "Well, Doctor, the maps and paperwork I have are a little hard to decipher. It seems the maps resemble a star chart, but...then again...the constellations make only vague sense." she almost shrugs.

"Suffice to say, the book and annotations have drawn my attention. What I understand about Dr Pelham is that his life was shrouded in varying degrees of controversy and mystery. It is hard to unravel fallacy from veracity. Rumour from truth. What I have learned is that he was amongst the foremost mathematicians and astronomers of his day...something of a prodigy. Though his work was eclipsed, so to speak, by Lowell, Eddington and Rayleigh..." she trails off for fear of relating a dull inventory of associated contemporary astronomical achievements.

Tiny Martha offers Robert a shy smile.

"It is a mystery I am determined to solve! I had wondered if there were more of Dr Pelham's books and articles to be found at Written in Water."

She decides to ask Robert the same,
    "...and of your discoveries, Doctor? Anything to report too?"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread