It was his first job, at the age of sixteen, washing dishes at the P Street Diner. The pay was crap, but the work was easy enough albeit dirty and grimy. He was saving up to buy a car. He had just gotten his license, but his dad was a dick about letting him borrow his stupid Honda. All the other guys had cars and the chicks paid them all the attention, not even looking at him when he took his bike off the rack.

He thought about this as he emerged from the backdoor of the diner into the alley, hauling a grubby rubber floor mat. He flops it over a rack, and looks around for the hose nozzle. He wished they would get the light fixed back here, like this work wasn't enough of a pain in the ass without having to do it in the dark. Finding it, he turns and nearly walks into a large man wearing a raggedy coat and hat. He starts harshly, nearly spraying the big guy with the hose

"Jesus fuck, dude! You scared the shit out of me."

The shape says nothing.

"Look, man. I aint got no cash on me, they don't tip me for this shit, so if you're looking for a handout..."

Still, the big dark man doesn't respond.

"Uhh, right. I'm just gonna get back to these mats. Look out, you don't want to get wet." He takes a step forward and aims the hose.

Suddenly the shape springs into action, like a tarantula finally sensing its prey. Long powerful arms snatch out and envelop him, and he squeezes the handle of the hose, spraying the shape with hot water. The man's grip doesn't ease, and he is helpless in the iron grip. The shape lifts him up off his feet and he feels a sharp pain in his neck before everything goes blurry and forgetful-like. The last thing he remembers is hoping that he won't be fired for this.

----

Arnold drops the kid in the puddle from the hose. His coat was wet, but it didn't bother him. He had taken a lot from the dishwasher, not everything - his penchant for control saw to that - but all he could, without dooming the vessel. He felt better as he turned and left the alley, emerging out into the glow of a streetlamp. He pulls the brim of his hat down, straightens out his wet coat, and walks off down the sidewalk.