Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
At the Carwash, Yeah!

PRE

Tug has just finished vacuuming his Escalade at the Exxon up the street from the bookstore when he receives the texts from Teegan and Orphan. He stops what he's doing to walk up to the door and read the address of the station above it, then texts them the address. While he waits for them, he may as well shine his baby up. There's no one else in line for the automatic carwash, so he cruises right through. He watches the soap and spray deluge the exterior of his truck and smiles to himself as he relives one of his fondest childhood memories. He exits the wash and parks back at the vacuum, then looks around for Orphan and Teegan.

Orphan

PRE

Orphan's beat-up car - an old, decommissioned highway patrol vehicle - arrives at the car wash. It looks like it was last washed and waxed months ago, at the earliest, but the engine sounds show it to be perfectly tuned.

"Hey, Tug," he says, getting out of the car.

Teegan's white Explorer pulls up and parks, she likes things orderly, its ingrained, so her own vehicle's condition is rather well considering its a '98. The exterior was shiny except for a little road dust, the carpets were clean, and most importantly its big engine still roared healthily. She gets out and looks around for the others, seeing Orphan and his familiar car first - he gave her a ride in it, it made her think of Nine Inch Nails and hang overs. Approaching them she seems more interested in Tug's Escalade than them, she circles it and looks in the door Tug has open for cleaning, checking out the interior. "Damn, Tug..."

PRE

Tug nods and smiles at Orphan as he arrives, then at Teegan, though she seems more interested in the ride then him at the moment. He laughs. "That's the reaction I was going for. I got TVs on the back of the headrests, look. Bose speakers. High gloss black rims. I got her right after I signed my contract. Her name is Lady." He looks about to confirm that there's no one in earshot, and says quietly to Orphan, "So what's up with these books? Sorry to cut and run earlier, but, well, y'know."

Orphan

PRE

Orphan checks out Tug's ride and nods appreciatively. Exclude his daisho and everything Orphan owned probably came to less than the value of Tug's speakers.

Replying to Tug's question, he says "Maybe nothing, maybe something. Hard to tell 'till we check it out. The most likely candidate for having bought the books is some guy known for panhandling by the Tower Bridge. These books, even in their absence - maybe *because* of their absence, meaning their being ought - are of interest to Fate. My guess is, something about those books is going to have a big impact on this guy's life, or he's going to do something with or because of what he reads in there."

Unconsciously, Orphan fingers the pendant he wears around his neck, the silver one, inscribed with kanji for 'luck.'

"As to what that might be... well, who knows? Maybe he'll decide to go to college and become a professor who teaches someone who ends up curing cancer someday. Or maybe he goes nuts and goes up a tower to shoot people. Or maybe they triger his Awakening." Orphan shrugs. "Or maybe it's a dead-end. No way to tell right now."

Looking back and forth between his two companions, Orphan makes a suggestion. "Zilker mentioned a really good sandwich shop, this place called Dagwood's, and I was thinking, maybe we can drop by there, try it out, pick up an extra sandwich and a drink and one of us offer it to this guy, try to get him talking. If one of you does it, I can try to see if I can discern anything else about Fate's interest in the guy. If nothing else, hopefully we at least get a good sandwich. I wonder if they have soup."

Teegan seems a little confused by all the book talk but she'll talk to some guy for Orphan, especially if it involved a sandwich. "Lets have Tug take us, I want to check this thing out. See what its like to be a big star, speaking of that can I have your autograph?" She laughs a little but her eyes say 'be more careful' to Tug.

PRE

Tug starts to laugh, before he sees the look Teegan gives him. He nods slightly in recognition of her concern, then turns to Orphan. "Well, if the books have some kind of destiny, or their owner does, it's worth checking out. Your plan sounds fine. We get some food, we go talk to the guy. How'd a bum afford the books anyway?" Tug shrugs, since the question isn't really important. "And, sure, you can both ride with me from the diner if you want." He smiles as he gets in the driver's seat.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

OCC
    PRE

I'll leave it to y'all to start a new thread when you arrive at Dagwood's, or continue this one as you talk during the drive.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

PRE

Tug looks back at Orphan and Teegan and elaborates. "I mean, you can't leave your car at the gas station unless it's being looked at, or they'll tow you away. So just meet me over at Dagwood's, guys." Tug inputs the restaurant into the GPS, starts his engine and moves his truck into position to lead them over.

((OOC: starting a new thread for Dagwood's from here.))

Closed Thread