Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
No Stone Unturned (Private)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

Irina

Jaeger clutched the newspaper furiously, his teeth set and hands quivering. No, they got 'em! Those damn black op soldiers finally made their move! The gaze of Agent Jaeger carefully read the lines of the article detailing the disappearance of his temporary partner, Agent Derevko. Something had been wrong with Dee that night at the Spiral, and now it was too late. The stubborn goat had refused his help and now he was gone. He couldn't let this lie, not a chance.

At DHS: Geo Headquarters in Sacramento, Agent Jaeger came bright and early, dark bags under his eyes. He had had trouble sleeping, thinking that he'd be stolen away in the middle of the night just like his partner. He had to talk to SAC Johnson about this. They'd be investigating it for sure and he wanted in on it, it was only right that he be there.

Riding the elevator up to the top he knocked respectfully on the SAC's door and awaited a response.

I
    Irina

It was probable that SAC Johnson was expecting a visit from Jaeger: No single agent in the entire building had not found out about Derevko's disappearance. Those who did not see the front page of the Sacramento Bee had heard it around the water cooler, or simply read their memo. The mood in the office was somber.

Agent Derevko might have been a bastard, but he was DHS Geo's bastard.

"Enter," the man in charge requested.

"Sir," says Jaeger, entering the office briskly and carefully closing the door behind him. He stands opposite the desk and sets his eyes on the SAC. "I heard about Derevko. I'd like to request placement on the investigation to determine his whereabouts," he said straightaway. Every second was a risk that the trail would dry up, the clues scattered, and Jaeger was compelled forward by the need for resolution. "Please, sir," he added respectfully, barely hiding the urgency in his voice. Sure, Derevko was a jerk, but he got shit done and served his country with only mild complaint. Jaeger admired that in the man. Hell, right now all Jaeger could think about was his good points. It was easy when the absent agent wasn't spewing criticism right in his face.

I
    Irina

"I have a team at Agent Derevko's apartment as we speak," SAC Johnson announced, and he peered at Jaeger from his seat behind the desk. "You can assist."

He refrained from mentioning that not a damned bit of good news had come out of that place yet. Maybe his missing agent's partner would find something new.

Huh, that was easy. "Thank you, sir," he said, and for lack of a more respectful gesture, saluted. "I know the place. I'll be heading over there right now to rendezvous." He lingered a moment before backing away to the door in case the SAC had anything he wanted to specify. But before leaving Jaeger added, "I'll do my best to find him."

I
    Irina

"I know you will," SAC Johnson responded, and nodded resolutely.

"Make sure you prioritise your workload, Agent Jaeger," the older man reminded the younger, before he could pass through the door. It was clearly the parting comment, as the boss of the division said nothing further.

Jaeger nodded and opened the office door to leave, closing it behind him. Prioritize my workload? Well he's got a point, probably doesn't want to waste too much time and resources taking me off other assignments when there's already a team on it. All the more reason to figure this out right away. He clenched his fists and went back to the elevator to ride it down to ground level. Fishing for his keys he headed to his 1983 Toyota Cressida and got behind the wheel, heading to Derevko's apartment complex, trying to make good time.

I
    Irina

As Jaeger arrived at Derevko's apartment block in the bad side of town, he can see immediately that there is an agent at the main door. He's one of the newer arrivals, and his bearing suggests a young man eager to do his best regardless of how low the job was.

Apart from that, the street is pretty quiet for the morning, which is not too unusual. A couple of government-issue cars are parked by the roadside, so the other agents must be inside.

Jaeger finds a clear spot to park his own vehicle before getting out and heading for the main door himself. He takes out his badge and displays it clearly to the young agent. "Agent Jaeger, I just got clearance with SAC to be placed on temporary assignment with your unit. I'd like to help in any way to find Agent Derevko," he said solemnly just so they were all on the same page. "Would you be able to brief me on your current findings? Newspaper said there were gunshots, screams, traces of blood, any confirmation on whose blood?" He didn't mean to come off too straightforward, but he hoped the young agent was professional enough to be understanding of the lack of pleasantries.

I
    Irina

The agent stood at ease for as long as it took to speak to Jaeger, and as the other man explained his presence, a sense of understanding was reflected in his eyes.

"Yes sir. Neighbours reported waking up to gunfire, but no one saw anything. This area? Either you're the one causing the trouble, or your locking your door so you're not a witness. The blood's being checked against Agent Derevko's, but I haven't been given confirmation yet."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last