Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

View Poll Results: What If...

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...Avis Had Said 'No'?

6 60.00%
  • ...Marco had beaten Josephine in Monomacy?

0 0%
  • ...Morgan had gone Hunterheart in Arcadia?

0 0%
  • ...Fairweather had been defeated that night?

1 10.00%
  • ...Al-Adin had beat Alice White for the Spring Crown?

3 30.00%
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Contest - What If?

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

We've had some fun writing contests in the past, and I thought we could try one inspired by the What If? comics.

The premise is that you write an alternate outcome, based on changing one decision point/twist of fate from our game. For example:

What If...
    ...Marco Fernandez had beaten Josephine Sterling in Monomacy?
    ...Leo Lockhart had survived Under Control?

You get the idea. You pick the one single twist, then write the alternate future. Sound like fun?

We'll compile all the submissions into a poll and see what everyone thinks
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

2. Likes Forn Clakes, deltadream, Cayce liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Well! I guess I'll go first!

What If...
    ...Avis Had Said 'No'?

subtitled "We Belong"

"We're going to do great things, you and I."

No weirdness. That's what he'd said. And maybe even meant it. Nobody's an Acanthus, predicting the future. There's just sincerity, and sometimes you're sincerely putting yourself Out There and you get rejected. It's okay; it happens, everyone's an adult.

But it was weird.

Little things. No more Card. Or Firehouse. Avoiding being alone together, over-sanitized words that could only be lumped together as conversation in the most charitable light. Walls that everyone throws up, intentional or not, brick by by brick until a wall is a castle and no one remembers what's being protected anymore. But every now and then castles get sieged and every time He came over, the walls shook. At least Zoey had been cool. An apology, commiseration, and a smoke sesh and everything was back to normal. Normal as in Okay and Okay as in it's perfectly Okay that He moved in and perfectly Okay that sometimes you can hear through walls.

It's Okay.

Maybe that was why, or maybe it wasn't. Because Smiley's People. Maybe it was remembering the Trees Per Capita; the Why. Cards were written on and cards were burned -- the only cards being traded now. That's the cure for anything -- throwing yourself into your work. Really, any distraction. A distraction becomes a habit, and a habit becomes a lifestyle. True story.

And someone had to.

Work. The easiest way to convince someone else you're Real is to convince yourself first. Good-bye Four Walls. Good-bye Veiled Threats. Hello haircut. Hello tattooes and piercings (ow). I am Jack's Banisher Campus Life. Pledging into Banisher U hadn't been difficult. A twist of rez, a drop of glitter, a few excerpts of Philo 101 required reading and Beowulf. Except for checking in with Zoey --until Zoey left-- there was only Jack.

You don't know Jack.

He was In by the time the news hit the street. Someone had died; someone big, maybe even one of the Consilium's Masters. There was going to be a wake, or something, down by the river. How corny is that, yo? Here's the plan. When everyone's boo-hoo'ing? Attack. Smile and nod, the Plan is the Plan. No revolution ever happened without some injustice. If someone had to get hurt to climb another rung to Euryale, then that's what had to happen. It's The Greater Good. Justice is blind and holds a scale for reason. She doesn't want to know what you did, she just wants to measure the final outcome. Right?

"No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force." -- Moltke the Elder.

They'd hit hard and fast and sky was alive with rez, lights, and sound. He'd blown up some wannabe Katniss Everdeen's bow, thrown some fire, sliced some weaves, and gotten Dirty enough to be wracked with, and doubled over, from back pain. Stumbling through the woods when it happened. A portal opening, right in front of him. Fire, pure and white, the Angel's birthright, speared though it as Katniss came through with a snarl and pointy-sharp shard of bow. A clean hit, a righteous kill.

Almost.

He straddled the burnt husk that was gasping a stream of curse words that would make a sailor blush, driving what was left of lank, sable hair into the mud and feeling burnt skin pull and tear away from the neck he was choking.

"We're going to do great things, you and I." A whisper, raspy from the exertion. Hey. Choking someone, even when they'e Mostly Dead (tm), isn't easy. "Whoever you are, just know that you're helping me. Kill. Euryale." Eventually. But it was True. Up the ladder, another rung. Killing an Awakened, even just one, is solid street cred, yo.

It was the eyes.

Fire had burnt the lids off, and moonlight glistened on a pale green that reminded him of the everglades. It wasn't his fault he hadn't recognized her. What happened to the hoodie?

But that was then, and this is now.

"It's gonna be okay." She'd stopped thrashing. His side hurt, and the bloodied remains of her bow stuck out at an awkward angle. Fen waters were still; glassy, and frozen. Could she hear him? Maybe. Maybe not. "You're a warrior. It's a good death. And I'm your Angel."

Everything happens for a reason. Every ending is a beginning.

This is exactly how We were meant to be.

Right, Avis?

I hear your voice inside me, I see your face everywhere
    We belong to the light, we belong to the thunder

- "We Belong", Pat Benatar

Notes
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

M
    Matrixchild

I'll take the bait and try and come up with something interesting for:

What if...
    ...Marco had beaten Josephine Sterling in Monomacy?

The music pumped through the walls into his office. He had designed his office to have a nice subtle view of the stage and walls not quite thick enough. See, the music was a reminder of how far he'd come since he arrived and it was the kind of view that befit a Prefect. He had to give it to Konrad, the man was a survivalist through and through. With Gabrielle and Diana leaving so abruptly, and Chloe no where to be seen, it was back to the two of them again and who would go against a man who faced down a shotgun with a sword and made it out alive? Konrad very graciously gave up his position, though Marco doubted the man's plotting and scheming were over.

With Josephine's reign as Reeve cut so very, very short, and in such a brutal fashion, many were unsure who would take her place. Marco had no interest in reigning anything with an iron fist, and even less interest in directly serving a Prince or Seneschal who so simply agreed for it to take place. He found their apparent confidence in Josephine's abilities humorous in retrospect. He had tried to play the game of thrones and it almost cost him his life, so he wasn't about to play the police chief of the domain and risk losing his head again.

What he valued more was the respect his actions garnered. The respect and fear of course. He didn't lord it over the domain as he imagined Josephine would, that wasn't his style. Instead he just...remained. A sign that he was no pest that could easily be swatted or snuffed out. That he was a true predator. The topic of his blunder towards Katya was never mentioned after, though he did get a brief congratulatory 'good fight' from the Prince. Maybe that was his way of saying Marco'd made up for his faux pas. Marco knew he'd have to fight harder if he made a second mistake.

He leaned back in his chair, looking out to his burlesque. Lively and exciting as always, though of course it was still new to him. Once Juan disappeared in shame for having forsaken his family to the religious wolf Marco stepped forward, pushing Vivian to take over his role as Priscus. She was saddened by Josephine's death, but something in the way she spoke gave him the impression that she felt Josephine had dug her own grave. Maybe she viewed Marco as a man putting down a sick animal, that it was better this way. That were Josephine to have survived things would have gotten worse for all.

With his encouragement pushing her forward, his public support only helping to solidify her claim to the spot, she ascending into the family throne, making him her Whip in the process, a clear showing of how quickly he had turned his social and political capitol around. Within second of the Final Death. Losing the vote for Prefect. Politically shamed. Oh how much difference shedding blood could do.

For the man, his unlife was good. What more could he want?

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I thought we'd let this go a month... only two submissions?

Bit of writers cramp right now for this. So its less meaty then it could be, more like a summary of a story. Here goes what I can think of right now:

What if...

Morgan had gone Hunterheart in Arcadia?

Instead of coming at the timid, stuttering raccoon we know, this Morgan would have been another angry dog. But the need for an Alpha to lead her would have still been there. She'd have stayed in Chicago longer too, not wanting to run like a coward. Her quarrel with the locals and not backing down took priority over seeking her old pack. She was not willing to back down from a foe, nor would she disrespect her alpha in Chicago.

Eventually her temper and violence brought things to a head. She got kicked out by her alpha as the Chicago courtier found her too troublesome to manage compared to other pursuits. Morgan didn't like that but wouldn't challenge her alpha. She'd just go find another alpha as she hitched a ride to Sacramento. When she wasn't hitch hiking, Morgan had opted instead for using Fang and Talon to turn herself into a hound, letting her run wild. And hunt down weakling prey.

Right up until she had a run in with that redheaded Lost. The swordswoman had given Morgan a nice scar whilst she was a hound. Morgan couldn't get a hit in on the woman for an hour of fighting. Then she turned back to her humanoid form and acknowledged the swordswoman as her new alpha. In Sacramento, that often meant the alpha having to pick up her "dog" from the pound and pay a fine.

But Cosima didn't seem to mind, not with having her own loyal little attack dog showing her endless respect.

7. Likes , West liked this post

Kenneth Gilroy
    Donovan
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Donovan

What if… Fairweather had been defeated that night

What if...

I'm posting this late at night. So please forgive any grammar/spelling/formatting errors.

9. Likes Origins, West, Yumyumcrow, Forn Clakes liked this post
    M
    Matrixchild

What if...
    July had never awoken?

Fluorescent lights. Too bright after being unconscious. Harlow blinked away the brightness, his eyes slowly resolving to focus. He went to move and yet couldn't. Ropes. Pretty tight. Is that blood I feel? In fact it was. It was slowly moving down from his right eye. It felt a little swollen. He blinked again and shadows started to approach.

"So you've been the one causing my problems." Harlow could see a smug smile drawn across the man's face. He went to struggle. "Whoa whoa whoa. What do you think you're doing? It's not time to leave yet," he said with a chuckle. He nodded his head and a guy stepped out from past Harlow's vision and punched him square in the jaw, knocking him and the chair over. His blood dripped out on the ground and his body slumped briefly. The muscle grabbed the chair, lifting Harlow back up so he was upright again.

The main man was rough...and pale. He walked back and forth in front of Harlow as if thinking. He started shaking a finger at him. "You know, you've been causing me quite a lot of trouble. Killing the men guarding my shipments. Burning the drugs coming in from the north side. You know, you even stalked a few friends of mine." Harlow knew what he meant by 'friends'. But their kind didn't have real friends.

Another nod of his head gave way to another wave of pain as the brute to the side hit Harlow again, this time not hard enough to knock him over. "Who are you? Eh?" he said, grabbing Harlow's face. "Who do you work for? Gambini? He's washed up. Commissioner Craig? I've got more money then that coward ever dreamed up. Tell me and I'll make it worth your while. I'd rather you work for me than have to kill you." There was a confidence in his voice as if he'd had this conversation before. As if he was used to hearing 'yes'.

The knife slide slowly down Harlow's arm. It cut deep into the ropes ever so silently. One thread. Then another. Then the final one and he could feel his hands were free. No sign was given. No express movement was made. His head went down, but he was really scanning the room. The brute had a machete on his belt. Was it for intimidation or for making people talk? On the table to Harlow's left were his weapons. Judge and Jury sat ever so patiently waiting for their master.

The man looked to the brute. "Is he not listening?" Focusing on Harlow he said, "hey, you awake still?" He paused for a moment and Harlow didn't move. "Did he pass out? Wake him up," he said to the minion. As the punch was thrown Harlow expertly moved out of the way, grabbing the machete in one fluid movement. With it in his hand he swung it down hard on the punching man's neck. Then again. And again. The body hit the floor and Harlow kept chopping away until like the Red Sea he had parted the two halves. His face was drenched in blood, and yet his facial expression never changed from serious calmness. The kind of calmness a trained killer might have...or a psychopath.

Suddenly his eyes moved up on the motionless Kindred. "Oh fuck," and he was racing for the door faster than humanly possible. As his hand reached the door knob the machete cut right through, pinning him to the door. "Oh shit. No no no no. Listen friend, I can pay you whatever you want. Hell I can get you whatever you want. Girls? I know a sexy club with discount rates. Guns? I got shipments coming in every week. Help me help you man."

As the Vampire talked and talked Harlow moved to the table, picked up both of his guns and slowly walked towards him. The guns were put right to his forehead. "Please. I'll do anything!" he begged.

"The Night Watch sends their regards." Bang. The gun sounded, then again and again until nothing was left in either gun and ashes were drifting through the air around him. He pulled the Machete out of the wall, throwing it to the ground before walking back to the table and putting on his holsters. Then the Executioner turned, his face still drenched in blood and vitae, and walked back into the night.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

DrDog -- I'm throwing down the gauntlet and challenging you to write -- What If... Alice White hadn't taken the Crown and Al-Adin had become the Spring King

12. Likes Forn Clakes, Yumyumcrow liked this post

Werewolf Lawyer
    Tiny

well shit West . Can't back down from that.

What if,
    Al-Adin, the King of Spring

Gianna holds before her two knives. "You must choose. If you really desire to be King, all other desires must be weaker. Will you, Alice, cut your face, to sunder your beauty? Will you, Al-Adin, cut your hamstrings, to kill your speed?"

Al-Adin has never been described as careful, or thoughtful, or wise. Nor has he he ever been described as doing anything less than 100%. But certainly, he has always been described as fast. Quick as a blink, he snatches both knives from Gianna, and plunges them into his hamstrings, and with a quick twist, severs the large muscles. As he falls to the floor, he has a pained smile on his face. He's still the fastest, even at being king.
    Al-Adin's speed falls from 21 to 5

-----
    "MAKE WAY! FOR PRINCE AL-ADIN!" Juno Mantiserra shouts at the top of her lungs.
    Al-Adin hobbles up to the throne, his cut hamstrings irreperably damaged. The Speed King, the Wild Monkey, the second fastest changeling in the Court. He was the new king. Certainly the stupidest, and certainly the funnest king, his new wounds clearly show that he has mastered not just the joy of spring, but the true WANT that spring entails. Al-Adin sits on the throne, as the spring crown blossoms on his brow, the greenery twisting and intertiwing istelf, with bright red thorns that hide behind pale green flowers.

"Life hasn't been very fun recently here." The monkey speaks, clearly trying very very hard to keep his voice sounding kingly. "But thats going to change! Spring is here, and we are going to have fun today. Tomorrow, and all season long!" Aaaaand the seriousness already has fallen apart, as he openly laughs with a wide mouth. "We are going to go celebrate the opening season of baseball! All of us, together! We are going to party all through may! And we are going to swim in the river and enjoy the end of spring with a weeklong party!"

"Because all of you are my friends, and I want my friends to be happy!" The monkey king smiles. And while he may not be as fast as he was, he certainly is no less happy for it.

------

The summer coronation is...subdued. The lights are dim for such an occasion, and Al-Adin is smiling brightly. Everyone else is nursing headaches, nausea, a few broken bones, two ruptured ear drums, and is looking at Mrs. Rosemary's spread with both longing and dread.
    It started as a week long party, but 3 weeks early. And no one really wanted to stop when Al-Adin was encouraging.

The summer king walks up, and Al-Adin brightly hands over the crown and throne.
    "After party is at Nightfall's place!" He calls out to the assemblage, before hobbling over to Mrs. Rosemary's delicious lamb roast.
    -----

Whether that is what actually happened, or only what Al-Adin wanted to happen, we don't know. But what the Spring King WANTS...tends to happen.
    The Dog Draped in Resplendent Finery of Shrieking Spirits.

14. Likes Yumyumcrow, West, Kelreth, Forn Clakes liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Two weeks to go!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
+ Reply to Thread