Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

East Lawn Memorial Park

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    D
    Decibelle

For the first time in a while, Jessica felt like she was something approaching normal - someone having a chat with her friend in a picnic. And for her, at least, even lapsing into conversation about ghosts and spirits felt like something out of her childhood. Kids are strange, after all, and it wasn't as if her friends hadn't been as interested in those kinds of things as she was.
    Despite herself, she smiled, finishing off the single sandwich and grabbing a second. "Kind of."

Date Action Roll Result
    2012-08-25 00:54:01 Black Jessica rolls 8 to Knowledge stuff! (Int + Occult + Specialty) (10 Again) 7, 9, 10, 6, 3, 9, 1, 6, 7 3 successes

"They're like - well, ghosts are usually wrapped to something. Something stopping them from moving on, something... really important, that they don't want to leave." She pauses for a moment, shaking her head and sighing. "And until they reach some acceptance about it, they just... stay. It's how hauntings start. They're start by wanting something, but by the end of it..." She shrugged, once.

"So, they're not entirely like us." Her face split into the familiar, almost deathly grin. "We always make the effort to get better."

D
    Duvainor

"It must be pretty cool, being able to help them like that." Jezebel said. "There can't be that many people out there who can, right? I mean, I can stand in front of all the knives and bullets in the world, but I can't do jack if the person I'm trying to help's already dead."

She topped up her cup with some fresh tea and leaned forwards, curious for more information. "You got any idea where they go when they do leave?" Jezebel said. "I mean, they've gotta go somewhere, right? Oh, and if this is a bit too weird and personal, don't be afraid to tell me to clam up." She didn't want to come across like she was interrogating the girl.

OOC

D
    Decibelle

Standing in front of knives and bullets? Like a superhero? It isn't difficult to see Jessica's eyes light up at the thought, automatically imagining comic characters of old replaced by members of the Freehold. The Summer Chesspiece would be Iron Man, King Spartan was Batman. That made Jezebel... Wonder Woman? Something like that? She wore a corset, right?
    As quickly as the daydream started, it lapsed - there wasn't any real correlation - and she couldn't help but feel embarrassed at the ridiculous course her thoughts had taken, even if nobody was aware of it. Quickly, she spoke, to fill the building silence.

"Um... yeah. But, well, I'd rather be strong then... talky. I'm just not." Very eloquent.
    Trying to pick up the conversation again, she continued. her thoughts "Basically, though - well, I think they go to a place called Twilight, or... Oblivion? I don't know. There's all kinds. People who died and were given life again, but they're different to ghosts - people who died and don't want to move on, y'know? Who keep sticking around their point. What's important is finding a way for them to feel... comforted enough to continue on their way, to Oblivion, or heaven, or... the place beyond it all. It gets confusing."

She frowned.

D
    Duvainor

"Makes about as much sense as anything, I guess." Jezebel said. Truth told she'd been hoping for something a little more concrete, but in retrospect, that had probably been expecting a little too much. Just knowing that there actually was something after death, that the soul didn't just sort of dissolve into nothingness as soon as it had finished it's earthly buisness was sort of comforting.

Now, I've just gotta hope that the thorns left me with enough of a soul to actually get into...wherever it is you go. Twilight? Yea, let's go with 'Twilight', it sounds a bit nicer than 'Oblivion'.

"You're probably right though." She added. "Getting them settled enough to move on through the gate's the important thing. It'd be kinda tasteless to try and call them up afterwards to ask how they're doing. Uh, if that's even possible, I mean."

"Wait."
    Jezebel frowned, a particularly unpleasent thought starting to dredge it's way up from the recesses of her mind. "If you can help people pass on from here to there, wherever there is...then there's gotta be something connecting the two, right? So, like...does it work the other way? Can stuff over there get out to run around up here?"

D
    Decibelle

"It does, in a way. Remember, the soul is such a powerful mass of energy. And I remember in high school -" she paused at the memory - "- well, it can't be created or destroyed? If there's so much energy going on, it kind of makes sense that it can stay. And cling to something. That's all they're doing, clinging, until they're ready to go on." She paused in thought for a moment, contemplating the matter of her words, and chewing on her lower lip again - her constant habit when she was thinking, hard.
    "And I figure there's a happy place they're keeping. It seems like they want to move on, more than anything - really." She blinked once. "There's an afterlife, I'm sure of it. It's a really happy place, where our Goddess pulls us in and thanks our spirits for our time on earth. Thanks us for all we've done. A happy place."

Her appetite picking up, Jessica starts heartily tucking into the vegetarian portion of the meal, finishing the lukewarm contents of her tea and finishing off half of a sandwich - admittedly, she didn't eat as much as she should. Not that that was the reason why she was suddenly so hungry, it was just to be polite. And she's so preoccupied with her chewing that she almost doesn't hear Jez's comment on those other things.
    Almost.

The Gravewight goes a shade paler than usual - something that doesn't even seem possible - and tries to speak in a reassuring tone, despite the tremor in her voice."... No. Nothing." She swallows again, trying to get rid of the lump of sandwich that seems to have suddenly stuck in her throat, mind going blank as she tries to pull the situation away from some of those nasty things.

D
    Duvainor

Jezebel watched Jessica carefully, trying to gauge what was wrong and worried she might have accidentally offended her. Or, perhaps worse, if she'd upset the girl by mentioning something which gave the her a sudden, unpleasent reminder of her durance. Hell, for all Jezebel knew, she was just choking on her food and would be completely fine again in a moment. She wavered, unsure of what to do. "Are you o..." Jezebel started to say, before trailing off and deciding to take the Gravewight at her word.

I guess she'd know, after all. And if she doesn't, then she probably doesn't want to talk about it, so I guess it wouldn't be polite to pry.

"I didn't know you were religious, though." She said, deciding a swift change of subject was probably in order. "My parents brought me up Christian, but I guess you've got a different faith? Most of the big ones have Gods, rather than Goddesses. I think."

D
    Decibelle

"You don't want to know about those things," Jessica said, as Duvanoir trailed off. Her fears was apparent in her voice, and her effort at keeping reassured was noticeable, even if transparent. There was a moment of silence as Jessica let her fingers trail over the edge of a sandwich, quickly tackling the changed topic of conversation the moment it comes up.

"But, yes. You've never heard of Paganism? The Goddess, the use of magic, and witchcraft? I mean, you dress, well -" She paused for a moment, trying to figure out how to phrase it. "I thought you were a total Goth, and, well..." Was this a polite topic of conversation? It felt like it, even if religion was one of the things you're never meant to talk about over the table.
    "You've never heard of it? Wiccans, and all that?"

D
    Duvainor

"Oh yea, I've heard of it. Just never heard much about it. Or maybe I did, and that memory got stuck lost in the Hedge somewhere." Jezebel shrugged. "Like I said, I started out Christian. Kinda drifted away from that, though. Got older, start questioning stuff, you know how it is. Then..."

Jezebel fell silent for a moment, trying to articulate herself. Religion wasn't a topic she minded discussing, but the eventual collapse of her faith had gone hand in hand with her descent into addition and eventual abduction. It was difficult to talk about one without referencing the other, and the other certainly did drag up memories she tried to leave forgotten.

"By the time I stopped believing in the God my parents taught me about, I wasn't interested in worshipping anything I couldn't snort or inject. Gods, Goddesses, whatever. A weary, hissing sigh forced its way out through the vents and hoses of Jezebel's mask. "It's hard to care about that sorta thing when you're bouncing between withdrawls and trying to work out if you can afford to eat for the rest of the week." She admitted.

D
    Decibelle

OOC: Doh!

"Same," offered Jessica, shrugging her shoulders and slipping a bit further against the tombstone they'd elected to dine on, watching her friend in interest. "M'parents were mega-Crhsitian." Briefly, the Gravewight gave Jezebel a look of silence, as her efforts at posing questions dredged up a few harsher topics. Things that she'd never heard about, herself. "Except for, well, that. I just went down a different route."
    Different route? Christ, she'd never had her life before the Fae turn out that badly. Even after -

She lapsed into silent contemplation for a moment, thinking hard for a few seconds. Everything that she knew on the topic came from daytime soap operas or the stories of friends - or the occasional tale you hear, day to day.
    "I don't know much about that at all." She didn't even refer to the act by name. "How'd you -" No, that was a bad question. Thankfully, Jessica managed to catch herself, and pick up a new line of thought. "If you ever, well, wanted to - I mean, religion is... personal. You need it, y'know?"

D
    Duvainor

It took a while for Jezebel to speak up again. It didn't take a lot to drag her thoughts into dark places, and the brief mention of her past brought unpleasent memories bubbling up like an overflowing sewer, a bitter reminder that all of the misfortune she'd suffered could all be traced back to her own stubborn pride. Hers was a mind given to dwelling, a trait only exaggerated by the elemental link forced upon it, and it took a conscious effort of will for Jezebel to haul her perceptions back to reality.

"Personal? Y'mean, like...you gotta find out for yourself what you believe? Not just parrot what other people are telling you?" Jezebel said, frowning slightly, confusion audible in her voice. "I guess I can agree with that. Can't shake the thought that if there is something else out there, most religions probably ain't got a clue what it's really like. Or maybe they all got bits, but they're all mixed in with rubbish as well. I reckon the best we can do is just, kinda...pick out the stuff that makes sense, mash it all together, and go with that."

She gave a short laugh at her own theological fumblings. "See, this is why I normally just stick to hitting bad guys."

Or anyone you're told to hit, really.

"Thinking is hard." Jezebel said.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.