Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
The Inquisition - Let's Begin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    F
    FreshCK

Father Black sat in the small room in All Hollow's Church he'd claimed for himself. Sunproofed by the previous owners for just such an occasion, it was damn sure better than sleeping in the soil. Once again, he had shed his comfortable biker gear for something a little more suitable to his position, nice suit, signet ring, clerical collar, all was in place. He sat at the plain writing desk, studying his worn, leather-bound copy of The Testament and a pair of comfortable chairs sat on the opposite side of the desk. The Mother Superior would be arriving soon and he had been preparing himself for her questions. God willing, he thought, she'll like the answers.

Now, all that was left to do was wait.

Father Black hears a knock at his door.

F
    FreshCK

Father Black gets up from his contemplation and crosses the room to answer the door.

As expected, he opens the door for the Mother Superior. He's ready for the power of her Beast and thus isn't quite so impacted by it as had been the case when he'd met her at Mass.

F
    FreshCK

Black's Beast growls at Mother Superior, but it's not going for the throat, just making a point. Marking it's territory a little. Upon seeing her again he decides - not for the first time, either - that no matter how much time you spend around the Haunts it never gets any easier. And maybe that's why he likes them so much. Putting his musings aside, Father Black greets the honored elder.

"Mother Superior, welcome. Please come in and have a seat, I've been anticipating your visit. I hope the city has been treating you well."

Black motions her to a chair in front of the desk but remains standing until she seats herself.

The Mother Superior enters, nodding. "Yes, well enough, thank you, though I can't comment positively on the timeliness of the Seneschal arranging some necessary appointments."

She is dressed in the same black and red nun's outfit as she wore to mass. She takes a seat and waits for Black to also sit before she continues. "I've been tasked to look into the situation here in this Domain, speficially the state of the Church and its role in this Domain following the devastation of these so-called Lost Nights. As part of that, it is important to know something about you and your plans for the church, Bishop Black."

She looks at him closely and says "Something has changed about you since I saw you last. Why don't we start with talking about that."

F
    FreshCK

The Bishop seats himself after the Mother Superior. His eyes practicaly light up when she mentions feeling something different. "Oh, yes. It's amazing. I can hardly believe what happened myself. I was praying for guidance, for the strength to shoulder the burden of leadership in these uncertain nights when I was... struck. I don't know how to explain it. There was warmth, then fire and agony. I saw a figure - it had to be the Prophet, Longinus - and I awoke several hours later...changed. It was nothing I could see but the Blood in me felt stronger somehow, greater than it had been."

Black pauses, remembering the moment. If he still did such things he thinks he might actually shudder.

"It was a blessing from God through his Dark Prophet; the strength to carry his message in this Domain. Unfortunately, " he adds, shaking his head, "That was the night I was meant to be meeting with the other leaders in the city. I'm afraid I lost some of their respect in exchange for what I gained. After Mariel and those other two dressed at Mass. For the Inquisitors it's forgivable I suppose. They didn't know what they were walking into, but Mariel knows how little standing the Church has right now and to show up at mass dressed like...I don't even know what that was supposed to be!"

If he were an animal he would be frothing at the mouth. As it is, his fists are clenched and his last few words come as a growl through gritted teeth. The act of forcing his bile down takes a visible effort, but he's calm again a moment later.

"I'm sorry. I let myself get carried away. I'm sure you have more to discuss than Mariel's wardrobe. That's my problem to be dealt with another time. I'll keep my temper under wraps, Mother Superior."

He damn sure would deal with Mariel later. Let her come to mass dressed like that again. I'll cut away every inch of exposed flesh.

"I would hope so, Bishop," the Mother Superior says, coldly. "Mariel does tend to need a firm hand, though, and you are correct, her appearance does impact how others view the local Sanctified." She frowns and says "The Inquisitors, I have had a talk with. Hopefully they've taken it to heart."

Leaning forward, she focuses her gaze on Black. "Right now I would prefer to talk about you. Tell me about yourself, your experiences as clergy, and how you found yourself here. Your name is not particularly well-known, at least not among those I've spoken with. Have you led a congregation previously?"

F
    FreshCK

"Well, I suppose the best place to begin is the beginning, right? I was what you might call a troubled youth. You might also say I was a complete bastard. I was young and angry and I fell in with a bunch of other angry young men; a genuine American biker gang. They gave me a sense of belonging, I suppose, but mostly they gave me an excuse to be my worst. I spent years fighting, stealing, drinking...name a commandment and I broke it. Name a deadly sin and it was my best friend. But God had other plans in mind. One day a blinding flash of light made me lose control of my bike - I never lose control of my bike - and I went tumbling for what seemed like a mile. When I came to a stop, broken and bloodied, the last thing I saw before I passed out was the sunlight shining off the silver cross atop a church."

Black pauses for a moment, remembering the twisted wreck that was his body. It's only a moment but it's obvious the memory is still vivid for him before he continues.

"I died that day, in more ways than one. Sure, I was clinically dead for 6 minutes, they told me. But more than that, the monster I was died that day. Sometimes God speaks to us all in a thousand subtle ways, but when we're not listening, he sometimes shouts. That's what it took for me. I joined the seminary as soon as I could walk again. I became the Priest of a church in a little town in Nevada not far outside Reno. Not to far from here actually. I devoted the rest of my life to the Lord and to making sure other young men didn't make my same mistakes. And that's how my life was going the second time I died." He gives a short, almost bitter laugh as he says this.

"The second time. Can you believe it? I was there and I hardly believe it sometimes. It was almost 20 years ago. I was riding out in the desert one night on some lonely stretch of highway when I realized I wasn't alone at all. I recognized the other biker from my days as a Hellion. I pulled over, we got to talking; He seemed to think he could talk me into joining some new gang he hooked up with, called themselves the Bruja. I politely refused, and suggest he seek God. He countered my offer by drinking me dry and feeding me his blood. Well, naturally I ran like I just saw the devil, rode all the way to Sin City and I might have just let the sun burn me up if someone hadn't found me first."

The Bishop idly strokes the cover of The Testament of Longinus while he speaks, "He called himself Brother Bartholomew, though the others called him Brother Blood on account of the fact that he was covered in scars that would sometimes break open and bleed a little. He was Nosferatu, but I never really feared him. He taught me about the Testament, the Prophet, and God's Holy Monsters. After that it all made sense, you see?" Black meets the Mother Superior's eyes. His gaze is filled with faith and certainty.

"I was a vicious monster of a man who became a man of God. And now I'm one of God's Holy Monsters. My entire life was a prelude; just preparation for becoming what I am now. I know that and I believe it with every fiber of my being." Again, Black realizes, his hands have clenched. Not into fists, but around the leather bound Testament. He places it back on the desk as he continues.

"I was quickly inducted into the Lancea et Sanctum, anointed a priest, and eventually introduced to the mysteries of Theban Sorcery. I didn't have a domain of my own, but I performed regular Midnight Mass and many in the Covenant there spoke highly of my devotion. One night, the Bishop of Las Vegas told me I was needed in Sacramento. So, naturally, I came here. A few weeks later, every other Sanctified Kindred in the city is ushered unto final death except for me."

The Bishop of Sacramento folds his hands and shrugs slightly.

"Like I said, sometimes God shouts."

The Mother Superior listens attentively as Black relates his history. She doesn't blink, she doesn't even move until he is finished, and when he does finish, she simply nods. She doesn't comment on what he's said, but simply goes onto a different line of questioning.

"If you would be so kind, Bishop, I'd like to hear where you stand on some of the more controversial aspects of Sanctified theology. I'm particularly interested in your thoughts regarding the relevance of God's rules for the Kine to our own existence."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.