Obsidian pushed the heavy wood church doors open and looked into the great hall. The structure was Christian, but the decorations were a collection of pagan symbols and idols from around the world. If there was more than one deity in your pantheon could find a home here, she thought. Obsidian walked down the center, between the rows of pews. It wasn’t a big church, but it would be big enough. She would make her sponsors among the Circle of the Crone proud.

“Ms. Washington?”Raven, a man of average height, but above average girth, came forward from an alcove to the side. In his hands he held a spray bottle and some rags.“Welcome to the Church of the Water of Life!”

“I’m early, I know,”said Obsidian. “I meant to call, but after smoothing out all the wrinkles of the business side of this adventure,” she raised her arms to the high walls and looked to the ceiling, “I forgot to give you fair warning.” She lowered her arms and looked to Raven. “Where is Rowan?”

“Oh, she is sleeping,”said Raven.“She spent all day with contractors, making sure the lighting and plumbing worked. Besides, she likes the day shift.”

“Well, I will see her soon enough,”said Obsidian.“Show me around.”

Raven smiled and bowed his head. He found a place to stow the cleaning supplies, then started the tour.

As Obsidian saw more of the property, excitement grew. Her visions were happening. Her dreams were becoming real. She smiled at herself, recalling her moment of despair, trapped in the flood waters of New Orleans only a handful of years ago. She had thought she lost everything, including her two friends, but they had managed to get on a bus out of town. It took time to reconnect, but they were as loyal as ever, and they latched onto her dreams as if the dreams were their own.

After seeing the two upstairs bedrooms, peeking in quietly on Rowan as she snored pleasantly, Raven brought her down into the basement.

“This used to be the boiler room, but apparently, there were problems and the boiler had to be removed in pieces. Now, all the utility equipment is out back in a large shed.”

Raven led Obsidian down into a single room with bare walls and floors. Near the far wall, on a raised platform, rested an oval tub made of black marble.

“This must have cost a penny,”said Obsidian.

“Don’t you worry,”said Raven.“Deals were made, and debts were paid.”

“Good, good,”said Obsidian.“You have done well. Leave me, now. I will take a day or two to get to know the property, but we will consecrate the grounds soon.”

“Thank you, Ms. Washington,”Raven said, bowing his head.

“And please call me Obsidian. That is how people in Sacramento will know me.”