One overcast evening Emma decided to learn salsa dancing. She went to the Dance Sacramento studio on Flosom Boulevard. Thank goodness this time of year it gets dark early. There were Salsa lessons available as private lessons or in groups. Emma decided to socialize and do group lessons.

There was a gentleman who was a flirt and kept choosing her as his partner. When it came time to change partners he would reluctantly let her go, only to choose her for the next dance. After three nights of lessons, he made his move. He asked Emma out for coffee after the lessons. Emma said, “Sure sounds like fun.”

They walked down the deserted street to a nearby coffee shop. Emma could feel beasts moving in the shadows. She did her best to ignore them, hoping no one would try and cause problems she held his hand. She tried to remember his name, James? Carl? Kevin, that’s what it was Kevin. “So Kevin, what do you do for work?” Emma asked.

“Oh, Not much. I do IT work for the University.”

“Cool. So you setup networks and stuff?”

“Yup. I do the high level crap. Probably kinda boring for a girl like you.”

“Oh, not really, I am a boring type of girl myself. I am into archeology.”

“Wow. Really? You seem so classy and glamorous.” His eyes twinkled.

Emma knew he was lying, she was not a classy type of girl no matter how hard she tried. Emma then felt a person approaching from the shadows. It was a mugger holding a knife.

“Give me your wallets.” He demanded. Emma pulled her wallet from her pocket. Kevin tried to be macho.

“Get lost buddy.” Kevin yelled. The mugger was not expecting that and responded by punching Kevin in the face knocking him out. Emma quickly grabbed the muggers arm and snapped it. The knife fell to the ground and the mugger ran off.

Thinking quickly, and being hungry, Emma dragged the mugger to the shadows and fed. When she was done she sealed the wound. She then held Kevin’s head until he came around.

“What happened?” He asked.

“You scared the guy off. He hit you, dropped the knife and ran. You Ok?”

“I feel a bit weak but ok. You alright?”

“Thanks to you.”

“Can we skip the coffee tonight?” He asked weakly.

“Sure.” Emma helped him to his car. “See you next week.” She smiled and left.