Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
51 - 60
DISPLAYED
Fanfiction

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 6 of 8 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last

Aki-Chan's Life: a recursive fan comic of another Evangelion fanfic. It is full of comedy and heartwarming moments.

Of the River and the Sea: self-insert is a good chunk of all Naruto fanfiction. Good self-insert is not. This is a good story with good writing: action, comedy, drama, and a different plot from the usual self-inserts fanfiction. A door stopper at over 300K words.

Things Shinigami are not allowed to do: A crack-fic that is exactly what it says on the tin: a list of numbered entries (and clarifying sub-entries) of things the shinigami from Bleach are not allowed to do.

Werewolf Lawyer
    Tiny

Matamune I just wanted to say thanks for Transcendant Humanity. Enjoyed that one.

Hope's Calling Harry Potter in Dragon Age 1. Sure it has all the typical stuff "a wizard is not a mage" "fuck the templars" etc. But what really sets this one apart is that Harry has his own problems and goals here. He isn't dragged along on the quest, nor is he dragging others into it. Instead he's got his own missions that he's trying to accomplish, which make for a very interesting read. Also, bonus points for making Fade spirits interesting.

The Arithmancer Hermione may be smart, but instead of a prodigious textbook recall, she instead develops a Mathematician's mind. Able to calculate out extremely complex equations in her head at the drop of a hat. This becomes very useful to her as she takes Arithmancy several years early, and develops a talent for creating new spells, sometimes on the fly. Many are harmless, but come 4th year, when Harry is in a competition for his life... Explosive indeed.

The Timeless Value of a Mended Friend Time travel stories are cheap. Time travel stories where two opposing people travel back are rare. Time travel stories where three people all go back, with different goals and opinions, and yet still share a common bond that ties them together? Excellent. This story is also unique, in that it has the only time of the time travelers revealing their nature to each other, and the story getting even better. This story is still in progress
    The Dog Draped in Resplendent Finery of Shrieking Spirits.

3. Likes Matamune liked this post

Fanfic recommendations?

[compiling]
    [category too wide]
    [cached data exceeding limitations]
    [system crash]

Has anyone suggested Of the River and the Sea? It's a rather good (and long) Naruto fanfic focused on an original character (Ryuishi Watanabe) and a lot of world building. And Ryuishi is a Kiri ninja who is very much "differently rational." Best description for someone who fought Killer Bee via rap battle. I like it because it doesn't follow the usual OC path of: keep the plot while helping the heroes win! No, Ryuishi looks at the ninja world's status quo and goes "nope," and doesn't play along. Also the authors tumblr has some spoiler fanart that is hilarious (like kid Ryuishi showing off her Orochimaru cosplay to Orochimaru).

6. Likes DrDog, Matamune liked this post

Ermon
    Alfred Coldwell

Pre 2 (Timid), SL 2 (Honest)
    Mastigos, Apostate

DrDog , you are most certainly welcome. It's was a rather fun read for me too.

Origins , yep, read some of it. I can sincerely recommend it to people who enjoy completely OC stories, but it's not exactly my kind of thing.

So... I've been gone, lost, then wandered for a while and now I find myself here again. Don't think I'll RP (writing a novel and fanfiction atm), but I've been reading so much fanfiction in the last have a year, it would be a sin not to recommend a couple things to people who might appreciate it

Embers. This is an immense, awesome and immensely awesome fanfic set in the world of Avatar: the Last Airbender. Iroh is made more of a retired genius of a general a bit less of a wise old men. Zuko gets a kind of a rude awakening and does his best to help the Fire Nation people break off from the current Fire Lord. Aang doesn't get an easy out of the whole situation and needs to resolve the conflict between his pacifism and what needs to be done. A very special bonus comes in the form of Azula getting excellent character building and backstory.

Overall, it is a great read, flawlessly combining canon characters and world building with elements of the author's design, like introducing a sort of weaknesses to each of the elemental nations (fire's being loyalty to your lord, earth's - following written contracts, etc.), expanding upon the canon history and adding cool bending and spirit world stuff. It is primarly character-centered, which, in my opinion, is the only way to write a story, but the plot is great too. Romance exists somewhere on the edges and isn't the focus here.

All in all, highly recommended to the fans of the original series.

P.S. I have read a lot of good stuff but dumping it all at once would take forever and diminish its value, so I'll try to post my thoughts on a fanfic or two here once in a while.

8. Likes DrDog, West liked this post

Werewolf Lawyer
    Tiny

Thanks Mata, and yes Embers is one of my favorite fics. I'm going to copy it, edit it, and then print it to keep as a bedtime story for future children. Its just that freaking good. (and teaches a good moral about unintended consequences and the Importance of good communication)

Since I have no completed fics to add this time, I'm just going to add in one that you may have missed

Kill Your Heroes
    A sakura-centered Naruto fanfiction, that has a different Wave mission leaving sakura with 2 confirmed kills and years of confirmed nightmares (seeing a burned man is one thing, burning a man alive to save yourself...well, its a pity there isn't a Therapy no Jutsu). This is not a happy story, but nor is it a hurt/comfort/angst story. Sakura has shit, she deals with it (poorly) and suffers the consequences. But keeps going. She mopes when she's sad, kicks ass when she's angry, and is fun to watch.

10. Likes Matamune liked this post

Ermon
    Alfred Coldwell

Pre 2 (Timid), SL 2 (Honest)
    Mastigos, Apostate

Yes, Embers is great. I should check out other fanfiction and the book that the author has written.

Thanks, I'll read Kill your heroes later: good Sakura-centered stories are rare

Now, for my next recommendation I've got Beyond the Outer Gate Lies for you.

A bit of backstory: this is a Highschool DxD and Dresden Chronicles crossover. The first is a harem/ecchi/fighting anime that, in my opinon, took a world with a lot of potential and turned it into something silly and aimed exclusively at adolescents. Still, it has humane demons, promising world-building and summons, so the fanfiction community took it upon themselves to "fix" it by summoning their favorite characters into this universe. Dresden Chronicles is an urbane fantasy saga by Jim Butcher, revered by many: it has a fairly cocky wizard protagonist prone to irony and a world filled with things that want to kill him: fairies, vampires and other practicioners.

The fanfic itself is one of the better examples of what fanfiction has to offer: it has a good opening, is close to canon where possible, fixes the idiocy of the anime and relies fairly heavily on the character of Harry Dresden to introduce sanity, character development and fun. Plus, as Harry isn't an overpowered bundle of imbalance (like post-Shippuuden Naruto people for some reason like to drag everywhere), he doesn't break the plot.

The story itself mostly follows that of Highschool DxD, although Dresden isn't exactly interested in joining one of the teams running around. There are few completely new elements (although they are present) but Harry's perspective, analysis of the mixed magic mechanics and original character development make this fanfic a worthwhile read.

Werewolf Lawyer
    Tiny

if you like Beyond the Outer Gates, I'll have to send back with God's Eye (dresden crossed with Stargate SG1) and A Demon Lord's Hero (Fate/Stay UBW with Highschool DxD)

God's Eye is just another Dresden Files book. Complete with Dresden getting way over his head, the universe smacking him anyway, and Mab scaring the piss out of everyone.

Demon Lord's Hero is a deconstruction of the overpowered character brought into DxD. Shiroe is overpowered, but he isn't playing in the same league as the regular cast. Instead he's playing as the Queen of one of the Big 4. His oponents are overpowered in their own right, or have to be defeated in a certain way to fulfill different objectives. It's not "kill or be killed". It's "how can I win in such a way that my interests are furthered"

Werewolf Lawyer
    Tiny

Zero Summing
    Zero Summing- A familiar of Zero mixed with Elder scrolls. Our good hero Louise messes up her summoning a familiar spell, and finds herself the dragonborn of Skyrim. Thats part 1. Part 2 is when she gets summoned back. Wikipedia can be enough to get through part 1, but part 2 requires some knowlege of Famliar of Zero, or just extensive Wiki-magic.

Lady Archimedes
    So a while back I recommended the now complete fic The Arithmancer. This is the sequel, and book 5 has just nearly concluded, so things are progressing nicely.

0 Scenes

So I didn't even know we had one of these! Thanks DrDog for telling me about it!

Here take a few fic recs from the Sloth!

Déjà vu no Jutsu by Vixen_Tail

Summery: Take one dead, thirty year old career soldier, stick in the body of a child during the Second Great Shinobi War. Add a mini-Namikaze Minato, ninjas, chakra, tailed beasts, and shake well. Is it any wonder she thought she was insane?

This is one of my favorites, I have it open on my phone so I can read it for the millionth time. It's Naruto fic, a SI with a realistic take on it, complete at 25 chapters, and 525,453 words. It's also starts during the Second Great Shinobi War! Continuing through the Third Great Shinobi War. There's also a companion piece called Neko-chan's Pawprints, it's drabbles, a few things that didn't fit into the main story, other random things. Aaaaand the cast of this SI AU meeting the Cannon Cast. It's super funny and really, really good!

Victory at Ostagar by the late Arsinoe de Blassenville

Summery: When Bryce Cousland's little spitfire scaled the Tower of Ishal and lit the beacon at the critical moment, King Cailan won a mighty victory against the darkspawn. The Blight, however was far from over.

A Dragon Age Origins Fic, complete at 128 chapters, and 1,173,512 words...yeah it's lengthy but gooood. All of the Origins are included, and the cast from DA2 is there as well! There's so much I can say about this fic, but anything I say feels a little to spoilery. So I'll leave off saying that it's just fabulous. Go read it.

(I'll probablly be back with more recs...sometime! This is just the first ones to come to mind!)

15. Likes Origins, DrDog liked this post
Page 6 of 8 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last
+ Reply to Thread