Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Terms of Service

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

A mixture of recent things; new players, a fiasco on WW's forums, made me realize that we don't really have one of these, and that people may not know how things work -- or what to do if things don't work.

A while back I wrote something comparing this game to a bar. That's pretty much how it is, and how I want it to be. Some other games use a more impersonal model, which some people may be used to.

We don't have a complaint forum. We don't have some arbitration process. We have a bartender. If you puke on the bar, you'll get thrown out. Conversely, if the beer nuts are stale, he needs to be told. You treat the waiters and waitresses with respect, and they'll bring you drinks. Tipping in the form of compliments is welcome. Demanding the channels on the tv be changed is not.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to say is that this is a close-knit enough community that I want to hear feedback, and that people shouldn't worry about negative feedback.

Have people been banned in the past for telling me to go fuck myself? Sure. That's not because I was particularly mad at them, but because that usually indicates a situation has gone too far to be resolved amicably. On the other hand, there was once a player who I once asked to not play in my game because we butted heads too frequently. He's now a Storyteller for that venue. So I think it's fair for me to say that I think I can disagree or even dislike someone (not him) and they still play here without some Cloud of Reprisal looming over them. I've also admitted I've been wrong or apologized for things I've done. I *think* there's even a screencap floating around of me giving someone an official, 'public' apology in chat

TL;DR :
    If the beer is flat or the beernuts are stale, it's OK to tell the bartender. Really
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

M
    MrBrightside

West, I'd recommend you make this a Sticky, so everyone knows EoD's policy on stale beernuts.

S
    Steven

West, I'd recommend you make this a Sticky, so everyone knows EoD's policy on stale beernuts.
    Here here!

Chris Laurent
    Langdom
    Chris Laurent

Irraka Blood Talon
    Langdon

....what happens if the beer is stale too..?

Switch over to white russians and other vodka drinks!

S
    Steven

Terms of Service has been Wikified!

R
    Red

Good analogy!! I haven't been here long but that really nails it.

From many other experiences I would suggest if you wanted an effective system for critique, you need to add a layer of anonymity to that system to get real submissions. That 'looming fear of repercussions' effect you mentioned is really only 100% mitigated through anonymity that can't be compromised by those running the back end of the site.

I hope I'm understanding this correctly that this thread is meant to be a place to leave commentary, if not I apologize if I am out of line. First I'd like to say that in all my experience in Forum RP through the several sites that I've participated in that Edge of Darkness is, in my opinion, the best I've come across. Its design, its management, and the personal power it awards its members are well thought out and superb to say the least. The interpretations of the Table Top system for internet usage appear to me to be fair and balanced.

Secondly, the community is both diverse and creative, and the talent of the participating writers has been encouraging to my own efforts and play style. I think that more than anything is what makes the site a fun and energetic place to be.

That being said my concerns with the site are limited and my brief time here gives me limited experiences to draw upon to make suggestions or critiques. But if I have any ideas for changes or alterations I will make use of this new Terms of Service opportunity to voice them.

Thanks West!

d
    dragonfett

This site is very awesome, the best one that I have seen (not just for WW games, but for all PBP games that I have participated in). And don't worry about the nuts, they're just the way I like them, CRAZY!

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Thanks, fellow bar rats. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

From many other experiences I would suggest if you wanted an effective system for critique, you need to add a layer of anonymity to that system to get real submissions.
    Honestly?

From a practical viewpoint, I'm not sure it's possible. It's certainly not possible within the forums. I could tell you that I turned off IP recording for specific actions (like the Contact Us link at the bottom right), but you'd have to trust me. And if you're going to trust me for that, why not trust me with your name in the first place? If you sent an anonymous email from an outside account through an IP proxy, there's still a good chance that your personal writing style would be recognizable.

You wouldn't be able to give your concerns context without revealing who you were, either, which largely would make the concerns meaningless.

I think that X is showing Y favoritism.

Oh? Why? What happened?

I can't tell you.

Sometimes, not always, concerns arise because a player lacks information that they can be given so that they have a clearer view.

For example, some people don't realize that they're deflected to their Prisci instead of Acknowledged immediately so that they're Prisci can meet them, distribute plot, and become an authority figure in the hierarchy instead of a meaningless title. All they see is "The Prince blew me off, he doesn't like me because I'm a Carthian." They don't see that they got to meet the Prisci and their Covenant leader, and that "brush-off" facilitated that.

A player couldn't tell me "You blew me off in Court" without telling me who they were.

Does that make sense?
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
+ Reply to Thread