Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Secret Garden

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

After stepping through the mirror, both men find themselves in a high-walled Victorian garden. Various vines and Thorns of all shapes and sizes climb the brick walls before merging with the surrounding Hedge. Betony Rue is standing with a lovely dark-haired woman Rick recognizes as Moira from his previous visit. Although slightly disheveled, she appears to be far more composed and in possession of her senses than the last time he had seen her. She nods to both men and gives them a tentative smile. Meanwhile, the Autumn Witch has already plucked various fruits, leaves, and flowers from the garden and holds them in her shawl as she directs Spartan over to a large stone slab dominating the center of the Hollow.

"You will lie down."

S
    Spartan

"A Fleshwound, I will live." The armored bastard says, but does as he is told. Too many fights with Faith he had no patience for arguing with women. Spartan removed his shirt showing the wounds that cut through his armored chest. Spartan laid down on the stab as directed.

L

Rick seems a bit...uneasy as he glances about the garden, memories of previous conversations still clear in his mind. And he can't help but let his gaze wander alertly throughout the place. "Isn't this where," there's the sense that he cut himself off abruptly as it occurs to him just in time that directly referencing the attack that had done so much damage to Moira's sanity might not be the best thing to do in her immediate vicinity. Of course, he doubted Betony Rue was really one to dance around subjects all that much so he didn't exactly veil his words all that thickly, "Isn't that mirror where he entered the boarding house way back when?"

S
    Spartan

Spartan looks to the mirror and then to Betony Rue. "Wait... You have a mirror that he uses? A mirror that may have access to him and where he is?" Spartan asked sitting up on the slab and looking to Rue. Was she hiding something? Was there more then what she had said? But why would she have helped with the girl if she was in league with Milford. There must be another explanation.

Betony Rue scrutinizes the Summer King's armored flesh with disdain.

"Your armor appears to be chiefly cosmetic. It has done nothing to protect you from whatever creature caused these wounds."

The Witch contemplates how much simpler it would be to simply remove the useless ornamentation as she nods in answer to her own king's question. When Spartan attempts to sit up, he finds the ogress' firm, yet bony hands ready to hold him down. The woman is much stronger than she appears. Her burning, bloodshot eyes regard Spartan as if he were a dull-witted child in need of a good whipping.

"Yes, we also have a kitchen door which Peter Milford used for his escape after his first visit to the boarding house. However, I do not fear using it upon occasion either. You, yourself used it just moments ago."

Moira continues to prune branches as her deep, sultry voice is heard.

"As you can see, we have built a fortification to surround our garden and protect it from unwanted intrusion. There are also some less obvious wards and security measures to ensure our safety. Do not fear, we are actually quite safe here."

S
    Spartan

"Very well." Spartan says nodding to Moira.

"I realize it doesn't protect me anymore then normal flesh. But if it were superficial and I could remove it I would have done so long ago. I do not choose to look this way."
    The hopelite says not getting up as Betony Rue gives him... the look...

Betony Rue pulls back from handing over the goblin fruit she had apparently been just about to offer to Spartan.

"Wrathful King, your superfluous armor could most certainly be removed. Such a thing would be somewhat difficult... and painful... but not impossible. However, you should be aware that while I can excise the armored layer of your skin, such a procedure would not only be extremely painful, but would almost certainly result in some permanent scarring."

Meanwhile, Moira turns her attention to the Autumn King and his rather astute observation regarding the mirror.

"You are quite correct. However, I feel in my bones that my erstwhile captor would not be foolish enough to return to this house after barely escaping by the skin of his teeth the last time. Indeed, there has not been any sign of him for quite some time. Although Betony Rue is quite convinced that he remains a threat, there have been no abductions or sightings that could be attributed to Skin and Bones in the past year. I have read the cards and cast the bones. All signs lead me to believe that Peter Milford has either fled the area or found some secret refuge beyond my Sight."

L

"A human can live a few days without water, at most, maybe around a week without food." And, of course, with the condition they'd found the girl in she probably couldn't even last those amounts of time. "There must've been...something, that sustained the child. And the tree looked more parasitic than symbiotic. Given that it was his Hollow, Milford seems the most likely to have done so." Which would imply that he was nearby, but had found a very good way of concealing himself. Which would make tracking him down for the Ash Run all the more difficult.

Moira looks blankly at the Autumn King when he mentions the child and the tree. Betony Rue spares a moment from tending to her fellow ogre in order to fill the gap of knowledge.

"Emma is sitting with our new lodger downstairs. The Harrison child had been abducted over a year ago, but is now recovering in the Crandall child's former room. Skin and Bones was using the strength of her blood and fear to cultivate nevernips."

"Ah... ironic as it might seem, those berries are probably the only thing that saved her. While the side effects are indeed quite baleful, and the fruit itself highly addictive, consuming them actually does nourish and heal the body. They are also said to be an excellent source of antioxidants."

However, something Rick had said seems to have struck the lovely woman as intriguing, causing her to stare off into space and mumble to herself. After a few moments, her deep, dark eyes refocus on the hawk-like airtouched before her and glisten slightly as she speaks.

"I was just thinking about food and water... I was help captive in his mirror trap without food or water for a very long time... yet, I do not recall feeling any hunger or thirst. Indeed, before he closed the door and shut out the light, I was rather disoriented, but perfectly comfortable in a mirror image of that room."

S
    Spartan

"Pain is temporary, scars are inconsequential. If you can remove it then do so." Spartan says with determination. "I am tired of wearing the reinments of our captors." Spartan's voice does not waver or show question. He is ready for this, ready to move past this part of his life. Spartan flexed his hands, feeling the leather and metal for what he hoped would be the last time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread