Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Creative Thaumaturgy

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

Celestial Weapon (Prime •)

At this level of Proficiency, the Mage may forge Celestial Fire into an enduring weapon, often used with Fighting Styles. This spell is a favorite among the Adamantine Arrow's WaveMen.

Action: Instant
    Duration: Special (Prolonged at Mastery)
    Aspect: Vulgar
    Cost: Special

Successes determine the Duration of the Weapon. Each success maintains the Weapon's existence for one Turn. The Weapon confers a Lethal Equipment Modifier equal to half the caster's Prime Proficiency (rounded up) +1. A single large weapon (sword, staff) or two small weapons (knives, staves) can be created, and the Weapon(s) can be given to others. At Mastery Proficiency, the Duration becomes Prolonged (Scene), and the Weapon is capable of inflicting Aggravated Damage at a cost of 1 Mana per Turn. The Mage must declare the intent to use the Aggravated option (and pay the Mana cost) at the beginning of the Turn.

The Celestial Weapon is also capable of cleaving spells in battle (Counterspell: Prime), at a cost of 1 Mana per usage. Usage of the Weapon in this manner is an Instant Action, and is considered to have the Potency of the original casting.

The usage of a weapon composed of pure energy Invokes Disbelief.

Treat this Weapon as Indestructible; it may only be destroyed by Dispellation.

Adamantine Arrow Rote: Primesaber
    Dice Pool: Resolve+Weaponry+Prime

An Arrow often finds himself in need of a weapon that cannot be lost, destroyed, or used against him.

Note: This Rote is extremely rare. Knowledge of this spell is rare.
    This is a generic account for moderating the Mage game/forums. It cannot receive messages and inquiries should be posted on your character sheet or messaged to the specific Mage ST(s).

m
    magiuspendragon

Alright, so the way that creative thaumaturgy basically works here, is that you will propose the spell to the Storytellers, and we'll review it. It will likely be a lengthy process, depending on how different it is from established spells.

We also ask that you refrain from submitting custom content until your character has been active for several months. We'll have to look at the details if you want to propose a spell, but I thought I'd put it out there since you asked about the process.

Rough spell idea, if it gets approved I will do a proper write up, bit time poor atm and no books. Tell me what you think, it is based a bit on spatial map but I removed the combat benefits and this spell is solely about being able to function in the dark, something which seems within the boundaries of a space mage, to know what space is around them.

Spatial Instinct
    Knowing
    Space 3
    Personal
    Prolonged

This spell allows a mage who is temporarily or permanently blinded to perceive her immediate surroundings with an acuteness transcending mundane sight (ignore blindness penalties when locating or targeting beings or objects). This allows them to instinctively know that a person is next to them or that a gun is sitting on the table in front of them. They however are unable to make out fine detail so whilst they may know there is a book on the chair they cannot read the title or any of the book. If the mage spends a turn concentrating on a particular object or person they are able to pick up fine detail like facial features or read the book as if they had a good look at it under normal conditions.

Why Space 3? This seems to go along the lines of things like "Nightsight" (Forces 1) and the like, so needing Space 3 to cast it seems a bit much.

This spell has some advantages over night sight that it gives a bit more information such as knowing whats happening behind you as easily as infront. Do you think space 2 would be better?

Then that seems more like a spell that should be a combination of Forces 1 and Space 1 to incorporate both Nightsight and Omnivision. If you were just doing it with Space, I still don't see the reason why it would be above 1 to be perfectly honest. I could see it as being a mixture of Spatial Map with Omnivision, or something of the sort.

you would definitely need at least Forces 1 to add the "Able to see in the dark" aspect though, as that is what Nightsight does. I'd have to agree it sounds like you're trying to combine the Nightsight and Omnivision spells
    "My father says that almost the whole world is asleep.
    Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to.
    He says that only a few people are awake,
    and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Personally, I've never been fond of "creative thaumaturgy" that just replicates effects achieved with other Arcana...it just seems a cheap way of getting around having to buy Forces 1, which is only 7 xp anyway

Chris Laurent
    Langdom
    Chris Laurent

Irraka Blood Talon
    Langdon

Wouldn't a modified Spatial Map serve this purpose to some end?

Also I don't see why Forces is needed for seeing in the dark as Space allows for perception of spatial variables i.e. where things are in space.

Its the difference between using IR to see in the dark and Neo in the matrix seeing everything in binary and "visualizing" it as such. at least to me

In my opinion the biggest issue concerning this idea is whether it is going to provide a similar or the same effect as Forces 1 "Nightsight." Using creative thaum to just recreate effects that are the purview of other Arcana just seems wrong. Just as if someone who was a Life master would be trying to get a similar effect to "Telepathic Control" by arguing that "Triggering the Lizard's Brain" allows for some emotional/mental manipulation and thus they should be able to achieve similar effects by using Life creatively.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread