Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Creative Thaumaturgy

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 10 of 11 First ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 Last

Wayland

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (0/3)

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (3/3)

??? (Cloaked, Pot 4)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 6)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 7)

Grim Bulwark (Death 2)
    By means of this spell, the mage reduces the efficacy of undesirable non-attack-based ghostly Numina targeting him.
    Practice: Shielding
    Action: Instant
    Duration: Prolonged (one scene)
    Aspect: Covert
    Cost: 1 Mana (optional)
    The willworker subtracts one die per dot she possesses in the Death Arcanum from all non-attack based Numina (such as “Possession” or “Terrify”) targeting her. By spending one point of Mana, the Duration can be made to last for one day.
    Silver Ladder Rote: Resplendent Diadem
    Dice Pool: Composure + Occult + Spirit
    Just as a well-made crown is a symbol of authority, so, too, can a crown serve as armor against harm. This rote defends a Ladder mage against undue influence by the denizens of both Twilight and the Underworld. Guardians of the Veil have their own variant of the rote (Resolve + Occult + Death), which they use to resist the powers of ghosts.

This is basically a carbon copy of the Spirit 2 spell Spiritual Bulwark

Extra Corporeal Shock (Forces 3)
    Doctors have for some time used sound waves to break up small solid objects such as kidney stones from within a patient without damaging any outer tissue. By sending two sound waves from slightly different angles, the sound waves are aimed at an object and cause damage where the two waves intersect.
    Practice: Fraying
    Action: Instant
    Duration: Instant and Aimed
    Aspect: Vulgar
    Cost: None
    As two waves need to be sent, a -2 dice penalty is applied for Target Factors. The benefit of this spell however, is that the sound waves bypass any physical amour the target might be wearing, though Mage armour still applies. Each success achieved on the roll delivers 1 Bashing point of damage. With Forces 4 the damage can be upgraded to Lethal, or Aggrivated with Forces 5.

I was sitting in a Urology department at a hospital and the had a TV screen scrolling through all sorts of medical stuff, and one of the things that cycled through was how they use this to break up kidney stones, so naturally I thought about how it could be adapted to Mage. Naturally.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Grim Bulwark is fine, I'll probably approve any Death/Spirit like/like transferrals.

I'm not sold on ECS. I see the idea behind it, and that's fine, but I think you missed the mark on rating and didn't take into account existing spells/RAW precedent.
    • Telekinetic Strike is F3 and this is 'better' than that
    • Phased Strike is S4 (S5 by RAW) and does something similar

My gut feeling is that this is a Forces 4 + Space 2 spell.
    • Forces 4 because it improves on a F3 spell and Sound Mastery also comes at F3.
    • Space 2 because the spell hinges on being incredibly precise with distance and convergence -- and these sorts of 3D spatial relationships begin at S1 with spells like Spatial Map and become more precise at S2 with spells like Track Projectile.

This isn't a 'final' ruling on ECS, just initial off-the-cuff thoughts.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Knot
    Theo
    Occultation
    Knot

Nimbus
    Knot appears, for a moment, as a marionette, roughly carved from wood and painted in a facsimile of life, bound up in a spiderweb tangle of it's own strings, that are pulled every-which way by unseen hands.
    Theo

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks (Roguish Good Looks) 2

wouldn't a simpler way to model Extra Corporeal Shock be a direct pattern attack, in the same manner as Celestial Fire can be at Prime 4?
    no offense but do i look like i understand anything?

Wayland

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (0/3)

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Spells (3/3)

??? (Cloaked, Pot 4)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 6)
    ??? (Cloaked, Pot 7)

I forgot to write it in, but I meant to write it that like telekinetic strike, it produces a visible ripple of sound energy and allows for Defence to be applied, like telekinetic strike (aimed), and not direct pattern. Also, there are no direct pattern Forces spells so it seems a bit overpowered to create one that also bypasses Armour/cover.

I don't mind it being Forces 4/Space1/2 (mostly because it's not a spell I could cast) but if it was Forces 4, would it do Lethal instead? And still be upgradable to aggravated at 5?

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I'm seeing less and less actual need for this spell? Because now it's just "Telekinetic Strike That Bypasses Armor". Which falls into my frowny-face valley of "we don't re-write spells that do nothing but remove limitations of existing spells".
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Quote Originally posted by Acheron:
    ...I looked at 'Shape Liquid' and 'Shape Air', I'm not sure if I forgot something or not but some of the things didn't seem to work for this version...

--

Shape Earth (Matter ●●●)
    The mage can exert their will on earth in its various occurrences (dirt, stone, granite, etc), shaping and moving it to their liking.
    I'm all about precedents when it comes to CT, with core > supplements. In chat I asked you about the two Shape spells, and it was bit of a trick question regarding moving earth. Let's take a look at what Mage core gives us:

Apprentice:
    Shape Liquid
    Transmute Liquid

Disciple:
    Transmute Earth

Adept:
    Shape Air
    Transmute Air

Note that at each level, progressively, the Mage can manipulate Liquid, Earth, and Air. So the question is: Can the Mage 'Shape Earth'?

Yes.

It's just not named 'Shape Earth'. It's named 'Plasticity'

By default the Mage can 'shape earth', but not cause it to move -- for whatever reason. Therefore, moving earth would require one of two things:
    a) a step up to Adept or Master by precedent of Transmute Gold allowing for greater 'earth' effects.
    b) a Forces conjunctional by precedent of being able to add Forces to Shape Air and Shape Liquid for 'more' movement.

Acheron Strix
    Last edited by West; Dec 30th, 2016 at 04:11 PM.

7. Likes Acheron, , Yumyumcrow liked this post
    A

Ah, trick questions. They always get me. XD

I was actually initially looking at Plasticity, but the lack of being able to move earth made me eliminate it as option again. Error in reasoning on my part in identifying it for what it was meant to be.

9. Likes West liked this post

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Yep, it's understandable. You have to note the corresponding Transmute progression to see the pattern. A lot of Arcana have clearly defined progressions like Control > Mastery that give great structure to them.

11. Likes Acheron liked this post

Yamiho Lillich
    Yamiyo
    (Succubus/Romancer)
    Skye
    (Adamantine Arrow)
    Galina
    (Rahu)
    Yamiho

Mien
    Her mien is the one single thing you either always dreamed to see or never wanted to see. Flawless or porcelain skin, a small tail, wings whom sometimes seems to be there and sometimes not, sometimes complete other times with perfect holes in them. Clothing that seems to be made from a metallic form of wood gazes over her body just precisely hiding the areas that needs hiding and enhancing her beauty and allure.
    Her head crowned with small horns that seemingly grows out of a tiara made by the same type of fashion. Long enchanting hair that seems to be woven and spun like gold that only could exist in a fairy tale and moving to always be in the exact right spot.
    Ornamental feathers clinging to her hair and clothing just behind her back, long ears adorned with earrings and markings.
    Eyes that seems to sexually devour anyone whom she gazes upon even if she doesn't even try.
    Her combination of being a succubus romancer makes to many details of her appearances hard to pin down but

A quick wonder would these spells be allowed/possible to do with the life arcana.

Transfrom living material (base life) such as plants into more precise versions of what you want.
    For example transform parts of a tree tree into a wooden fork, plate or into more effective things such as arrows?

Also could the same be done with bones of a freshly killed prey?

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

No. Those are both examples of Reconfigure Object.

Page 10 of 11 First ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 Last
+ Reply to Thread